Nothing On The Palmdale Cutoff?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by torben.meyer1995, Sep 18, 2022.

1. torben.meyer1995

torben.meyer1995 New Member

so I have Sherman Hill installed on PS5 and there is supposed to be UP trains on the Palmdale cutoff. But the line is empty. Always. Did Dovetail remove this until all the DLC can be loaded or am missing something here?

2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

do you own Sherman Hill?

3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The op says it is installed. It might be due to the dlc limit issue or during a time where it doesn't run I'm assuming

4. torben.meyer1995

It could be the DLC issue, albeit I can access Sherman Hill with no issues. Does anyone else have UP traffic on the palmdale cutoff on PS5? I tried several scenarios at different times. I follow the palmdale cutoff and see if I can find anything at all. But it is always empty.. Very odd..

5. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I‘m not on PS5, I’m on PS4..but I have not seen very many UP trains on the Palmdale Cutoff whilst driving either. The only time I spotted them were whilst on foot around Cajon Summit. There is a UP service that passes near the Summit at around 8:30 in the morning. So if you spawn there on foot around 5 mins earlier and walk to the UP tracks you should see a Manifest with 3 SD70‘s.

6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Be advised in real life, since DTG didn't add any of the UP trains that run from the Cutoff to Daggett, there is only abut 6-8 trains on the cutoff itself.
    -MWCFR/MFRWC (West Colton to Fresno and visaversa)
    -MWCRV/MRVWC (West Colton to Roseville and visaversa)
    -MWCPT/MPTWC (West Colton to Portland and visaversa)
    -May also be a train to and from Mojave.

7. torben.meyer1995

So maybe there just isn't a lot of traffic. Strange because I recall Dovetail saying that you should be seeing quite a bit of traffic on the Palmdale cutoff. But as long as PS4 users can see them. I should be able to see them too. Maybe I just wasn't having much luck yet.

8. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

I managed to find an elusive UP train this evening. I drove a service starting at Cajon Summit toward San Bernadino at 9:30ish in the morning and noticed a train on the cutoff behind me on the map. I let it catch up to check it out

111E83F0-8202-4876-853D-5750911D6599.jpeg 29285E0C-4E48-4C89-82C0-0559C11A2159.jpeg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. redrev1917

I cant understand the logic of making them AI only, an extra layer on any route is always welcome but especially one with just 102 playable services.

10. Blacknred81

They've apparently didn't even bother labeling anything on the line, so seems like the line was an afterthought, even though the Cutoff is part of the charm of Cajon Pass is the Cutoff, as well as the UP trains crossing over from the Palmdale Cutoff to the BNSF line, which AFAIK no train in game uses the crossover. So kind of pointless.

People may praise parts of Cajon, but I can't, the route could of, should of been better.

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Could be the terms of the BNSF license. In real life, BNSF and UP are in competition for freight traffic in some areas of the West and Midwest.

Maybe sharing a route, even a virtual one, is not something they approve of.

Would CSX and NS share a TSW route in the East?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blacknred81

I mean UP doesn't seem to mind the other way around (Tehachapi Pass) I don't know why BNSF would be up in arms about it, since it is a IRL agreement between BNSF and UP dating way back in the day.

Not to mention when Kuju originally released Cajon back in the day, no BNSF trains were even available for the route. How can you release a route without the original operator? (Granted this was the late 2000's, and times change)

Also Off the rails in SP pretty much means we can still do it anyway.

13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I see your point. But, unfortunately, the terms of the TSC licenses do not seem to port inter alia to TSW.

14. redrev1917

Youve got to remember that when it comes to BNSF licenses, DTG have to deal with 2 separate entities, one for the US & one for the rest of world.

Although from a licensing POV I cant see why a license holder would differentiae between a playable service and an AI only.

15. Blacknred81

I will also note that the route came with UP autoracks on the route, instead of generic or BNSF ones.

Why would BNSF be against actual trains on their route, but not rolling stock?

16. torben.meyer1995

So I wanted to give you all an update. So I noticed that there are UP trains at the palmdale cutoff if you choose a scenario that begins at summit. But they don't run frequently at all. So anyways good to know that I can see the trains as promised by dovetail.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I noticed one (can’t remember what time of day) on the map so tracked its progress and another AI train nearly caught up with it, so I tried driving that service myself next. There is no way you can catch up with the UP train but if they had put it 10 minutes earlier in the timetable it would be perfectly timed to run parallel with it. It seems odd to have it running there when no driver trains have a chance of seeing it. Nothing in the other direction passes it either.