PC Train Length Management

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rossco, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Rossco

Rossco New Member

I've been watching some cab drive videos from various German and Austrian trains and there is a way of "marking" where you pass an increasing speed limit board which will notify you via some alarm when the end of your train passes that mark. I don't know what model locomotives, but in Austria the alarm is a "meep meep" sound. I presume on the BR 185.2 at least there is a similar device IRL - is that modelled in the simulator and how do you operate it?

Also, in the original CSX heavy haul, there seem to be some sort of similar capability via a button on the speedometer (as I recall). But when last I played I couldn't work out how to use it. Is there any guide?

Cheers

2. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Rossco Hello!
    I can only help you with German and Austrian trains, because those I know best.
    There are a couple sophisticated safety systems in action when regulating train speed changes.
    In general, you're not able to determine when the back of your train has past just based on cab instrumentation. The safety system LZB makes those 'meep meep' sounds and can tell when your train has past the speed change. To learn of the details of all of the German signalling, I recommend you read through my extremely detailed guide on German Signalling.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/15rMbxCG19bHquN53hhgNKMIb7BczH6nAMv9p-EBvLO4/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,
    Prof.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rossco

Rossco New Member

Hi Prof,
    Thanks for your informative article - I did learn something, even though I am pretty familiar with LZB and the other german safety systems. The sound I am referring to is definitely not one of the LZB sounds.
    Here's an example youtube video so you can see what I'm referring to:

At 3:02, you can hear the driver depressing a button twice in quick succession (at least that is what it sounds like). At 3:24 you hear the meep meep sound and then the train starts to accelerate. That is just one of many examples on this video I am pretty sure, although I've definitely seen / heard the pattern enough on other youtube to be pretty sure that is what is going on.
    Unfortunately I can't quickly find an example on a German Loco, but I am pretty sure I've heard it on BR185 or BR186 somewhere.
    Cheers
    Ross

4. Rossco

Rossco New Member

Here's a BR185 showing the same system. The alarm is different, more of a beep than a meep, but the same principle.

Button sequence 2:22, alarm 3:16
    Button sequence 7:51. alarm 8:28
    Button sequence 16:29, alarm 16:55
    It's worth rewinding a bit before the button sequence to get an idea why the driver was slowed or stopped (almost always junctions).

5. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Rossco I see not what that could be besides LZB...
    A very good question indeed.
    I'll be visiting DB in February and will ask them personally, should noone find the answer before.

Cheers,
    Prof

EDIT: Perhaps this is ETCS, though I am not accustomed with ETCS.

6. Rossco

Rossco New Member

Perhaps its a feature of EBuLa or one of the other MFTs.

7. deppalas

deppalas Member

I only know this feature called as "Roadrunner" and it has nothing to do with LZB, ETCS or anything else.
    The driver for example sets the marker just after a junction and gets that beep sound after his last car has passed that point.
    You can actually try that feature with the ES64U2/-U4 in TrainSimulator, CTRL+T activates it.

8. jumpjet

jumpjet Active Member

The Type 66 (goods train) in the GWR DLC has a train length button (on the left window-sill, if I remember correctly). You press the button as you pass a restriction (or any other point you wish), and you will get a 'beep' when the rear of the train passes that point.

I've not see it anywhere else in TSW

• Like Like x 2