Give Us The Choice To Turno Shadows Off.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Birita, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Game would become so much better with shadows turned off...specially for gen 8th because draw distance is just awfull...

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...a trick to play TSW without shadows is relatively simple: just drive in bad weather or under full cloud cover, then there's only scattered light. On the other hand a world without shadows during sunlight would be very unrealistic and an immersion killer, which is why I prefer shortened gen8 shadows to none at all. Another possibility would be to add a manually operated shadow adjustment button in the settings menu like on PC. But surely very few console players would use that. I can still remember the very first MSTS, there were generally no shadows cast, so it looked really modest. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Maybe with addon manager dlls shadows could be implemented for gen 8? DTG JD could you ask devs for this?

4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I don't think these are similar projects, I'm afraid.

5. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

The ability to just remove shadows on the rails would do for me. They seem to be extra chunky in TSW3 and look absolutely horrendous when drawing in at such a short range.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Plus would help performance a LOT! Dont know why DTG wouldnt listen...put It as a choice for those who want.

• Like Like x 2
  7. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

I play without shadows on PC, would it be useful to see some screenshots to anyone?

(I won't send many, just two or three, unless otherwise requested)

8. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Dont need to see i know for sure that would be 100% better to play without shadows on gen 8...ALL i ask here is the ability to turn shadows off like on PC for consoles...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

I think this is at least a thing to consider. But I'm not sure if it is that easy to just remove shadows from the current lighting system. If it is than yes, why not.

I think in general the new lighting system is definitely a huge step up from what we had before, in some occasions it looks a bit of though because of the close rendering distance, especially trees looked bad at certain times of day and settings of weather. But like I said in general it is definitely better than before. And if you cool with shadows overall, you could just keep it on.

10. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Also try running trains at midday during summer. The sun is directly overhead so fewer shadows on the track itself.

11. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Setting the weather to foggy or misty
    (Clouds 100%) reduces render distance and in my experience is very useful for performance

12. pinxtonpaws

With all due respect I don't really want to spend my TSW life driving the 12:04 to Brighton on a sunny day in July.

Also (from previous comments), it's all well and good saying "drive in xx weather to remove shadows" but that kind of removes the use of dynamic weather from the equation as well.

My point is that you shouldn't have to be using workarounds (especially is it's removing usage of an ingame feature) to make the game look more bearable. DTG have a nasty habit of blaming Unreal for these problems yet of all the UE games I have ever played I've never seen shadow distances as poor as what's in TSW....and I've never once had to avoid playing parts of a game because they look poor.

If DTG can magically fix those unfixable blurry wheels (again, initially blamed on UE) then I'm pretty sure they can improve on track shadows with a draw distance of a few yards....

Oops, It's 9am....Train Life finally arrives.
    Have a nice day

• Like Like x 1
  13. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

I don't object to an option to switch off shadows. I just don't understand why it should be necessary in a game released in 2022. Complex racing simulators like NASCAR 2003 had dynamic shadows and great frame rates twenty years ago - and that was with 43 cars on a racetrack.

• Like Like x 2
  14. pinxtonpaws

To quote myself...
    I'm back... It's broken!

TSW is an awesome game :cool:

15. benuildo

benuildo Member

I don't think it's a good idea to turn off the shadows. I could live with an option, but there must be another solution. The track shadows just needed to be a bit brighter, or even better, fade in slowly and not popping up. There are lots of games in which distant objects are fading in and not popping up.

• Like Like x 2