Save

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by oleolm#7407, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

An eloquent summary of our case for restoring the current save feature, Rudolf.

Nothing that the DTG spokesmen have said truly and convincingly explains why the save function was withdrawn. There really isn't any good reason why we can't use the save game we've been using for the past 5 years. There must be something that they're not telling us. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Common sense tells you that, if you have to get to work, you use your old beater until you can afford a new car.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

This is more like the parents with an old, unpredictable beater whose kid drives it but does nothing but complain about how poorly it works. So they take it away to get fixed, and when the kid realizes he'll be walking for a little while, suddenly the car wasn't so bad after all and how dare they take it away.

3. Crosstie

Except that we didn't constantly complain about the current save game, because it worked reasonably well, most of the time.

Yes, we were annoyed when it let us down, and we wanted it to be improved. But no-one that I can recall asked that it be completely withdrawn.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

?! Of course we did. But at first it was just an occasional complaint that DTG decided to not worry about. Then the topic finally picked up enough momentum to become a crusade, with players old and new chiming in frequently on the forum and streams about locked red light signals and such resulting from the broken save. This was even a prominent topic in an least one of the "open letter" threads IIRC. What I don't remember is people saying, "It mostly works, but could you please fix the times it doesn't." It was more "How do you let a basic game feature like saving remain broken for years? I'm tired of having to replay runs. Deal with this!" They finally are, though much too late.

It was left in TSW2 broken (and still tripping up new players). TSW3 being an avenue to bring in still more new players, leaving it out is damage control. It's not by any means a good solution, just the lesser of two evils that shouldn't have been the choice in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dalek Maximo

Dalek Maximo New Member

I never had a problem on TSW2 save. I had no idea thier was a problem . Good to hear its coming back as many routes for me are unplayable with out it.
    Played on XB1X and XSX with no problems and the save automatically transfers between the two systems with MS cloud save transfer

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

In over 10k miles on tsw2 I’ve had exactly two problems restoring saves.

I’ve probably saved myself at least 10 hours of frustration by restoring saves.

DTG doesn’t want to have an unreliable save feature in their game. They said that this morning clear as day right here in this thread. It’s their game and they can do that.

I think it’s the wrong call. We’ve had an unreliable save feature in their game for how many years now? That is ok with them but for tsw3 it isn’t now?

the only thing we can do is hope that DTG either fixes the thing quickly and brings it back or hope they listen to their customers who are begging for the unreliable save feature to exist while they do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Crosstie

Well, obviously you don't play the lengthy routes in TSW 2/3. Either that or you can sit in front of a computer screen for 2 hours or more in one session.

Good for you. Many of us cannot or feel it's unhealthy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  8. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Seriously, I had a bit of extra time tonight, I gave TSW3 one more chance. Had maybe a 50-minute scenario to do. Unreal Engine crashed at 40 minutes.

It's either red signal bugs or UE crashes. I really can't do it any more. I can't give any time to this unstable, incomplete product without a functioning save feature. I mean, DTG need to find out the root(s) of the UE crashes too, which I never used to get (and I'm seeing more and more crash reports from others), but at least with a save that doesn't cause red signal failures, I could have reloaded maybe 5 minutes before the crash, instead of restarting again and again and again and again...

• Like Like x 3
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The more I experience TSW3, the more I feel we have had an incomplete product foisted on us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Sadly i feel the same way. After all those first few days of excitement and joyfulness, i feel TSW3 could be better than this.

11. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I don't know how the other platforms work but in that case I go to the options menu and power down my console. Xbox Series and probably PS5 have a "save" function. I can go play other games and a few days later when I want to play TSW3 it will start where I left it. All hail the consoles! :love:

12. OldVern

That and the sudden radio silence from DTG on all the issues that have been raised since release, convinces me we have been sold the train sim equivalent of a dodgy secondhand car. The save game issue, the complaints about the new lighting, UE crashes, continuing to grt the unexplained SPADs on SoS. And with all due respect to the external beta testers, what were they doing in the run up to release? Surely at least one must have piped up, sorry guys this isn’t ready for prime time, needs much more work.

As the time for refund is now long gone, about the only tools we have is to leave a negative review on Steam and refrain from buying any more DLC until things get better - sadly something I feared all along would be necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Aren't we all used to this by now? DTG's train sims are the only computer "games" I play, so I'll just state that I'd like to know to what extent other types of games and sims debut with flaws that are (or not) eventually eliminated. Also, let me note that I often do not agree regarding some of the "flaws" that other folks scream about -- or even notice them, for that matter.

14. OldVern

I think though my posts and this thread need to be seen afresh with the undertaking from DTG that they are now looking to restore the save game very soon…

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crosstie

True and, fingers crossed, it will be an early holiday gift. But, here in the Midwest, we are very much the " seeing is believing " sort of folk.

16. March Hare

I think it's fair to say that most of us will harbour some distrust, after years of ignorance and broken promises.

But I think this is a turning point on how DTG deal with issues, hopefully...

I would like to know ASAP exactly when we will see this toggle implementation of an improved save game (kind of a beta test of the function), if the core fixes are already in place now.

17. nepclassof84

Very soon.

game crashed doing the first scenario I tried 1 mile from the end of the run. I’m still aggravated by it. Wouldn’t be upset at all if I could restore a save

18. OldVern

Oh and count me as the “Doubting Thomas” too. Sincere words are easy, but actions deliver results.

As an aside, I have still had issues getting the UUU console to work, consistently. It does seem best once you have set it all up and copied the save command to the clipboard from a text document, not to task switch out of TSW3. However it has been giving me good results when it works, including two saves and resumes on the Wurzburg route where you do the high speed 300km/h test run.

19. March Hare

I've been extremely unlucky, as both my attempts using it resulted in the red signal bug. I haven't played it since. I'm eagerly awaiting this toggled reimplantation with core fixes to try...

20. OldVern

I just tried to save a complex 363 shunting scenario on RSN and couldn’t get the UUU console to appear, even after following my guidelines and attempting to rehook it. So I really hope the save is coming back in the first service pack/update whenever that lands.

21. orb

orb Well-Known Member

After you entered the command once, it's being kept in the console history which is saved in Input.ini (unless you executed later plenty of other commands that overwrote the history), so instead of pasting it again, you can simply press the up arrow right after opening the console.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. OldVern

Thanks for that Orb, will bear in mind. The biggest problem at the moment is the console not always appearing.

23. Crosstie

Good news, folks. The save game toggle will be back next week. I imagine it will be the same functionally as in TSW2.

This is a win- win. Win for us busy players with adult lives. And win for DTG because it gives them time to improve the feature without having to listen to all the noise from forum members like me. ;);)

• Like Like x 6
  24. March Hare

Fantastic! Not quite the same, as in Matt said there are core fixes in place.

• Like Like x 1
  25. nepclassof84

I think they decided to add the toggle before the fixes. I could be wrong though. That’s how I read it. The fixes I can be very patient to receive. Having the toggle and save game returned is a great thing and in my mind an immediate need. Unfair to expect sooner than next week so I’m very very happy with this announcement.

26. OldVern

Goodie gum drops, as Mr BrickTop said in the movie Snatch.

Guess I'll have to revise my signature (again).

27. March Hare

The article published recently says they have already made fixes, so well before the toggle is implemented next week, and suggests those initial fixes will be included when the toggle goes live, so we can effectively beta test the initial fixes that should affect all routes: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live...920.313940419.1663660746-735100145.1656317648

I'm sure TrainSim-Matt can clarify :)

• Like Like x 1
  28. nepclassof84

Yeah it did but then it was supposed to go through qa with a timeline in October’s roadmap. This read like they decided to disconnect the two. Im just happy it’s back next week. The fixes can come whenever. Hopefully they do clarify it though.

29. March Hare

Hmm, well, if the initial fixes don't come with the toggle, I still won't be playing TSW3, because I must be damn unlucky with the amount of red signal bugs I encountered recently – two instances consecutively using save via Universal Unreal Unlocker lol

30. LastTrainToClarksville

Request to DTG: Please define "next week". You stated last week that a Save toggle would be available "next week". This is Tuesday of that "next week" and this feature is still not available. I'm usually not this obnoxious, but this, as I and many others have noted, a feature that should have been available from the first day of release. What's up?

• Like Like x 1
  31. OldVern

Guess it will drop whichever day the update is planned to happen. Personally wouldn’t expect earlier than Thursday or Friday.

32. March Hare

I would have at least liked clarification on whether or not the save toggle will be the same old broken save or include the initial core fixes. I still say the article from a couple of weeks back said it would include those fixes; I just hope that's correct, and I can't see a reason it wouldn't include the fixes if they are already done and the point in this toggle is to treat it like a beta test of said fixes. Still, confirmation from DTG wouldn't go amiss.

If initial core fixes are there this week, I can't wait for the update. If not, I'll keep on hanging on before I resume play.

33. OldVern

TBH since buying the "Chinese" pack for TSC, which gave me 7 or 8 routes I didn't previously own, I haven't looked at TSW3. At £34.99 a proper bargain.

• Like Like x 1
  34. LastTrainToClarksville

While I usually respect and appreciate your comments, in this case your exaggerations have become wilder and wilder.
    On another note, I'll just repeat here what I've truthfully stated elsewhere in these forums: during my 1,662 hours of PC playing time between TSW2 and TSW2020, I used Save and Resume countless times without any problems whatsoever. I cannot believe that my experience is anywhere near unique. On the other hand, it seems that despite Matt's protestations to the contrary, DTG has jumped the gun by promising the return of Save/Resume this week.

35. nepclassof84

I’ve had two issues restoring saves vs numerous restores with no issue.

I am very happy that DTG heard our requests to restore the save in any form and has decided to restore it in the next patch. I’m patiently waiting for it.

I’m even more happy to hear that DTG has improvements to the save going through the testing cycle and will shortly follow the initial patch to bring save back with a toggle. It’ll be easier to be patient waiting for these improvements because we can use the current save.

Even though the decision by DTG to remove the save frustrated me everything they have done since then has changed frustration to eager anticipation.

36. KodiakJac

KodiakJac Active Member

The "Save Game" update patch is now available on Steam. I just downloaded it! :)

• Like Like x 1
  37. Crosstie

I just finished a switching scenario on Cajon Pass and due to the length and life interruptions, I had to save my progress 3 times.

Was able to resume all 3 times without a problem and finished ( what turned out to be ) a 2 1/2 hour run with the gold star.

I used to like my teacher's gold stars in 1st and 2nd grade. ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  38. Crosstie

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the save function is not in its previous and convenient spot in the pause menu.

I sometimes use save game as a " failsafe " and like to resume immediately, which is no longer possible from the pause menu.

I'll live with the extra mouse clicks, but I hope, when the save feature is finally fixed, it goes back to the pause menu along with the " back " button.

• Like Like x 1
  39. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Delighted to hear that. Glad it's all good for you.

• Like Like x 2
  40. nepclassof84

Looks like the patch isn’t on Xbox series x yet. I’m the USA. I’ll check later

41. Even though I hardly ever use the save function, it gives me piece of mind running long services. Now I don't have to worry about wasting an hour if something comes up in the middle of a run.

Happy it's back. Nice one dtg.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

Yes happy comeback :love: I got used to put my PC in stand-by during long routes lol Thank you :love:

43. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

That save feature is great- 40% of the time, it works 100% of the time.

Anyway glad it's back for those that have had more luck with it.

Though, i now fear the urgency to find an actual solution is lost and it will go on the furthest back burner.

• Like Like x 2
  44. Crosstie

A valid point, though we've been assured that it's firmly on the front burner.

And I, for one, will be posting periodic reminders that it still needs fixing, including moving it back to the pause menu.

Nonetheless, I'm glad it's back. All our foot stomping and toy throwing wasn't in vain, then.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  45. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

I'm glad too and I didn't have any severe problems with it in in the past and neither now (PS5).

Just one thing as a feedback concerning the update: I'm playing the game in German and the information, that the game has been successfully saved is displayed in English.