About The 280 Km/h Sections On Kassel-würzburg

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Br425, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I noticed that the 280 km/h sections on the new Kassel-Würzburg route are incredibly short. You are not at all able to reach 280 because the section is so short and the train will quickly start slowing down for 250 again.

Is that realistic? Because I dont get why you would build that in real life, when the only train that can reach 280 are the ICE 1 and the ICE 2 (the ICE 3 is not around much on the route irl), but those are too weak to reach it at all. It just doesnt make sense to me.

As a second point I noticed that most ICE 1 services are limited to 250 anyway because today, an ICE 4 drives that service (which can only reach 250). If you get a service that can actually go up to 280, it is frustrating if you then dont reach it.

Maybe it would be best, if we imagine the timetable a few years earlier, so we can go 280 with every service. In 2017, the ICE 4 was not around much yet, it was all ICE 1s. Would definitely be cooler

• Like Like x 3
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Under investigation
    Possible buged

3. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Oh, so the game is not how it is in real life at the moment?

• Like Like x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

SKW LZB is probably buged
    Caped speed restruction is sometimes random not wind related

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2022
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

6. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

But what I was talking about is not related to LZB, I was talking about the line speed restrictions

• Like Like x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

These are prototypical, I suppose
    https://www.openrailwaymap.org

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2022
  8. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Yeah looks like it's prototypical with about 5 km sections, which is just over a minute of driving at that speed. I would personally just drive a flat 250 km/h and not worry about it.

9. SLBM

SLBM Active Member

If Wikipedia is to be believed, that's what happens in real life anyway:
    "The standard speed on the line is 250 km/h (155 mph); 280 km/h may be reached by trains running late."

• Like Like x 2
  10. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

That's very interesting. Also a reason why I always hope for slight delays when traveling with an ICE so I get to drive faster :D

11. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Well at the moment I believe parts of the line are closed and some trains are being re-routed along the Spessart ramp. Makes one wish for integration with MSB...

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lime

Lime Member

I think, the trains only accelerate beyond 250 when being late. The timetable allows them to stay at 250 and still arrive on time otherwise. I have travelled across the line in an ICE1 many times and never reached 280.

• Like Like x 2
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

If this is the case / simulated... I will become impressed :D

14. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Well the timetable is indeed very easy to keep up to in the game, you don't even have to go up to 250 to be on time.

But what doesn't make sense is that if your train is running late and you want to go up to 280, you can't even reach that before you have to slow down again, because the section where 280 is allowed is so short.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That would make sense. Accelerating to 280km/h is not deemed worth it by DB as evidenced by the new ICE train sets. In a documentary about the Br 103 I watched recently, it said that when a train is running late by too much, then drivers are instructed to push the locos (or MUs) to the limit regardless of how uneconomical that driving style is.

Well, they can't be re-routed along the Spessart ramp anymore, unfortunately. :(

16. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

True, true. Bad choice of words!

Cheers

17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

No it is very easy to be early, actually driving to the timetable to pull in at the correct time is the challenge

• Like Like x 1
  18. armondamannn#9232

armondamannn#9232 New Member

if u think about it the 280 section in the route are actually long but since the ice 1 is so weak it doesn’t reach it and the ice 3 is to light for those speeds but i do agree

19. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

isn’t that just what he said

20. armondamannn#9232

armondamannn#9232 New Member

he said their INCREDIBLY short

21. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I recollect there being quite a lot of discussion about this during the launch streams about the ICE3 being held back due to wind over the bridges. That's what I think was discussed

• Like Like x 1
  22. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Most railways have short stretches at a higher speed which you haven’t got a hope of reaching before the next limit. Peak Forest an example where you get some short sections of 80 MPH where you will never get to the speed. Not sure why the Civil Engineer even bothered to allow a higher speed in that situation.

Get it on the roads too, one near us in Swindon where the limit goes up from 30 to 50 MPH but immediately hit sharp curves which you are lucky to get round at 25 MPH.