Ice 1 Cabview - Example Of Bad Modelling.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by PuuvillaneMats, Sep 18, 2022.

1. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

As much as we know DTG's modellers are real professionals. But sometimes some of them fail. For example modeller who made cabview for ICE 1 (BR 401). I'm talking about drivers seat model and drivers cabview position. What's wrong with it? Let's compare drivers seats in BR 401 and BR 101.
    The first one is drivers seat in BR 401:
    [​IMG]
    ... and second one BR 101 - perfectly done:
    [​IMG]
    BR 401's drivers seat has heavy scaling problems (head- and armrests dimentions compared to seat's ones). Also ... seats position in 401's cab seems completely wrong. You can't drive a loco from this position. Who the hell modelled that? Read comments on it in German forums.
    Some other screenshots which should confirm what's gone wrong:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seats position:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For comparision some screenshots from BR 101 cab - fantastic job done by modeller.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Drivers head position (height) in BR 401:
    [​IMG]
    Drivers head position in BR 101 (height, perfectly set):
    [​IMG]
    And drivers view in BR 401 - the height is almost okay but position on Z axis needs heavy correction:
    [​IMG]
    ... and drivers view in BR 101:
    [​IMG]
    Feel the difference ... I really hope DTG takes it seriously and fixes the problem with seat & cabview in BR 401.

• Like Like x 7
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

They're not going to remodel the chair since it's already been released. Same with cabview. It's either not going to happen at all or it's going to take like a year or something.

3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I think there is a real chance for camera XYZ position correction. The BR 101 is the meta-reference, true :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

I hope they are not as ignorant as always and fix at least cabview position (XYZ + angles). Redesigning the drivers seat takes more time. But unfortunatley ... many other bad cabview positions are still unfixed ... years after release date. And there are no editors ... In TS I just edited cabview positions blueprint and problem was solved. In TSW they try to keep everything in their hands ... and that's getting really annoying. Fixes that should have done by community members one day after release will now wait years for fixing ... Abnormal.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  5. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

But the "Meta-Reference" is not always the thing most players want. That's basically the reason why it is as it is. On the 101 i put the cam where i thought it would be the most correct position. But for that always we get lots of complaints because people can't see the desk. So, in the ICE1 they now can see the desk without the need of looking around. A pure compromise. Lots of other trains in TS/TSW do the same.

• Like Like x 11
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, how difficult (and time-consuming) is it to set up adjustable cam positions? Some rolling stock in TSW (several of the older British diesels, the Br 155, and Rivet's Br 204 come to mind) have adjustable driver seats giving players the opportunity to decide for themselves.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Maik Goltz

It's basically easy WHEN it was supposed to be in there. Afterwards it will not happen. The 3d model needs changes for that and it's too risky to do that when the product is finished already. To be more precise, the 3d modeller would need to add bones and need to skin them, then add animation for that too. That's not the risky part though. The newly import of that changed mesh is the thing that can explode the whole thing. So, don't expect such changes after release if they are not gameplay stopping bugs.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

How can drivers camera position be dependant on 3D model? Drivers seat and other cab objects - yes, they're part of the cab's 3D model ... but cabview camera position? For some models DTG even implemented drivers seat height adjustment option (was it Class 31 or 45?). And there are different cab camera positions in almost all cabs switchable using arrow left / arrow right buttons. There should be in-game option to find and save camera positions and viewing angles by player. And why do You think everybody want to see the desk? What I want to see is the most important gauges and computers in main view ... BR 101 does it absolutely perfectly. In TS 20xx I always found compromises how to set main view and then added separate left and right desk view. But that was a program with open architecture. On screenshots I posted You can clearly see scaling problems in drivers seat model in BR 401 (ICE 1). Also ICE 3's drivers camera position is extremely bad ... because seat's model is wrong (backseat's height wrong). I almost hate those models and do not want to drive them anymore. Right cab camera position is very important.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input. I never expect anything to come after release (been a DTG customer for too long to think otherwise). I was just curious why that feature is not standard by now, but I guess it's just the usual time constraint issue.

10. Maik Goltz

When you want to have an adjustable seat, and that is what we are talking about here basically, the seat needs to be movable, what it is not yet in this train. Moving the camera only is not an option, not for the driver's camera nor for the different environment cameras that you switch through via the arrow keys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Without knowing anything about the cabs in real life, it looks like both the BR101 and BR401 seats have a "forward/in-use" position (putting you close to the console) and a "back/access" position (allowing you to get in/out of the chair easily), as evidenced by the double-linkage swingarms attaching the base to the floor. It just seems that the 101 has been modelled in the forward position and the 401 in the back position (something I've noticed in other sim games is that often interiors are modelled static based on whatever state the real thing was in when they did the scans etc). So not necessarily "wrong" per se, just not prototypical of in-operation (and as also been mentioned, makes console visibility better for the typical game viewing angles (much narrower than real-life due to no peripheral vision)

12. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

So unfortunate not be able to modify XYZ point of view... I dont understand why its not possible. It has been present since eons in simulators (ETS2, FSX...)

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is where Mr Tickle would have his seat if he was driving a train. Or slender man.

My personal preference would be to have my camera position where the driver’s head would be. In reality, players only need to see the gauges when driving, not the whole desk and controls. I know some players like to operate the controls with a mouse (psychopaths?) but most players are controlling the train with a console controller or keyboard controls and have no need to be placed so far back to permanently be able to see all the controls. Those who do play with a mouse can look down like they always have in all other trains, as they have already made the decision to drive the trains in the most awkward way possible and probably don’t mind doing that.

Hopefully this head position and seat position will be a one-off bad placement decision (or mistake?) and we can return to normal service from now on, as there wasn’t an issue with how it was previously done.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeremy#2905

jeremy#2905 Member

What would be a better idea is to have a camera re-centre control. I like to be able to move around and manually throw switches on startup and move around to look at screens but I hate the feeling that when I return the view with my mouse it isn't perfectly centred. In my opinion for German trains the most important part of the view model is PZB indicator visibility.

• Like Like x 2
  15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

This is one thing I absolutely do not understand. I think it should be mandatory for a modern sim to have the player adjust their position in the cab.

In TSC, you can do it by editing the CabCamera files (and for the original vR BR401 that was necessary as it gave you the feeling to be standing at the back of the cab) - seems here you can't do anything which is a major turn-off for me.

In Run8, you can freely move the camera inside the cab using WS/AD/QE keys.

A simple menu like in Euro Truck Simulator 2 would've been the right thing to do. Your custom position for every vehicle is stored in your save game. In fact ETS2 leaves little to wish for, such a great game by caring developers - even updating their oldest DLC to have a consistent quality throughout the map.

ETS2/ATS POV and FOV adjustment:
    20220921005156_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

In the ICE 1 it definitely feels like you’re sat in a different train you’re that far back from the windscreen and controls.

One way to fix this would be to allow zooming in without the sense of speed being lost. Don’t know if possible, but a suggestion nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

I can’t be the only person that solves the weird head position issue by using the zoom in view function constantly.

I found the same problem exists in a lot of racing games as well. I think because they wanna show off their interior model.

18. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

Exactly! In TS 20xx it was easy to do thanks to editing tools. What we need is the option to save different cab camera positions separately for every cab. For example: You're entering to editing mode ... adjust Your cabview position with arrow keys then change view angle (if You want) ... choose memory slot, save the position and it's done. And let players to customise key mappings for every loco/MU. In current state TSW has too limted players options.