Realistic Japan Railway Train Simulator

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by antwerpcentral, Sep 24, 2022.

1. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I was blown away when seeing this video. I've seen this done before in older train simulator games but they were a bit off. Seeing this I guess we will be getting ultra realistic train simulators in the near future. Being able to move your head around could be filled in with AI.
    [

2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

It's just a video - hence the fixed camera

• Like Like x 1
  3. antwerpcentral

I think you are missing the point. Video games using real video exist since not much later than Pong came on the market. The first "video game" with real video probably didn't even use video to capture it, they probably used film as video was still in it's infancy so it wasn't displayed on a CRT but projected on a screen. It looked really awful, it was a race game and you could not really steer the car but you had a steering wheel in front of you :D

Technology has skyrocketed since then. After watching this video it came to mind that it is possible to make real video act like a video game. AI should be able by now to generate the information that is missing in real video when you would move your head. It can make real video interactive. You could do amazing things. The train in this video will only drive on the track that was recorded originally but with AI you would be able to switch tracks. In the game in the video you will always get the same passengers in the same location. AI could move them around.

I'm sure consumers don't have the hardware yet that could run such a game but we are not much generations away. Imagine TSW 10, it still plays like normal TSW but your surroundings are ultra realistic. The video above fooled me few minutes thinking I was watching a video game until it became too realistic to be not a real video

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As stated in another thread about this title, the tech was innovative 25 years ago before we got MSTS and the other proper cab view sims, but really doesn’t cut it over a decent graphics engine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I like this method of simulation even with its fixed camera position as you can’t get a more realistic environment than an actual video. The added cabs could be made from photos too if they wanted to make it better and I would prefer that. The limitation comes from how many videos are used and if it is just one per route then every run is identical and repeated play comes down to just enjoying the same scenery and improving your stopping accuracy. That part of it isn’t enough for me to spend a lot of money and as Journey to Kyoto shows, even though it is available for Playstation and is a route I have travelled on in real life, the £40 price tag has always been too much for me to buy it for such limited gameplay. That money always goes on a couple of TSW routes in a sale and gives much more enjoyment per £ spent.

As for AI enhancing this and making it just like a 3D graphics environment that won’t happen from a single camera feed like this. Don’t get too excited by things that are theoretically possible as reality will surely get in the way. The ability to turn your head in this game could be done with a 360 deg camera and they haven’t even done that and that requires no AI.

6. antwerpcentral

Where has reality ever stood in the way of what video games can produce? I used to watch pixels on a screen and imagined they were spaceships like the artwork advertised. Look at games today, nothing is impossible anymore :D

7. orb

orb Well-Known Member

We need something like Google Track View / locos with 360° view cameras on tracks. ;)

The Journey to Kyoto game is currently -65% off on Steam until 7 October.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Still £40 on PS store for me though. I’ve never seen it discounted for Playstation.

9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Only on steam

10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The original version is used with a Cab of JTREC manufactured EMU which is the same as its German counterpart Zusi 3 using a Cab of ICE1 DB BR401 SFS Hannover Kassel Wurzburg DB & MRCE BR182 RT Hamburg Lubeck cousin version 1116 SFS Linz Wien and SKA 06:58 Koln 07:47 Aachen SFS Hannover Wurzburg 02:40 Wurzburg 03:20 Asschaffenburg trip

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I actually don't mind the looks (and sounds) of this, if there was a Uk route of say 1-2hr with a return, I'd definitely be interested.
    But yes, playability a bit limited. However, I did see in a stream that some signal lights were manually enhanced, hopefully that means the aspects could change on each run to give a more varied experience? Or maybe that is pencilled in for the future.