Spirit Of Steam Stream Feedback Thread... And More Importantly...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mattwild55, May 19, 2022.

1. KNIGHTAL

KNIGHTAL New Member

Hi
    Question not related to the HUD size.
    Is there a way to increase the chuff, chuff sound in a similar way using a modification of the code?
    I realize the importance of making a backup etc., just not sure where to find the relevant code location in Spirit of Steam.
    Thanks.

2. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Thanks MRFS. I’d be interested to see a source for that information if you have one? (Not doubting what you say - just a subject I’m interested in).

3. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

It's a transitory stage between the aux yellow being switched on for fog and falling snow only and indicating a change in indicated braking distance prior to full 4 aspect signalling with electrification.

In effect, akin to the accelerating distants used on the lower part of the ECML.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, mid 70's is not that old. I'm sure there are many millions who are still vertical and can accurately recall revenue steam operations in the UK.. Many of us o!d farts are actually on these forums!! ;)
    But I agree with your main point. A few years earlier would have made SOS even more interesting in terms of locos and infrastructure. And being " historically accurate " is so open ended. I mean shouldn't there be a permanent pall of tobacco smoke in SOS to go along with the exhaust from the locos for instance? There are other historical details which are probably equally unnecessary. I'm sure a best guess, as you put it, would be acceptable.
    In the US, on the other hand, it would be almost impossible to find many train simmers who can recall steam very accurately, unless you lived right alongside, say, the Norfolk & Western. So how will DTG make an accurate US steam route?
    I'll take an anecdotal portrayal if that's all there is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Even N&W was out of the steam business by 1961 or so, in fact did not build a steamer after 1953. They held out against dieselization for a long time, but when the change happened it happened fast.

6. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

Not sure if I should use this topic, but since it's a SoS feedback thread, I thought posting here is better than creating a new topic. I just kinda finished the "Through Freight: Edge Hill - Nuneaton" service (2nd service in the "Steaming ahead" service of SoS journey). I say 'kinda' because about half a mile prior to finishing the route, I was unable to climb the +2% gradient, and before I knew it my train was sliding back, accelerating at an enormous pace. As soon as I came to a stop, I applied the brakes to prevent me from rolling back, but to no avail. Releasing brakes and regulator to let the wheels make contact again before reapplying the brakes very softly, at which point they immediately lost grip, in the end resulting in a SPAD. Big bummer after 1hr30' of driving. I did anticipate the steep gradient, making sure I was right at 20mph and accelerating when I hit it, sanding as much as I could and putting every horse I had at work, but still didn't get on top of it. Since there is no autosave at the moment, I'll have to redrive the 1:30 route before I can practice again, and I want to be sure I'm able to make it without breaking any speed limits. Any hints on how I can get up the gradient with my 600+ tons of cargo? Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I ran into this today. It is very frustrating. I got out of the slide and pushed forward but there was another forward signal to the yard that had turned red as I had already passed it when I started sliding. so when I finally got my train to pull foward on the slope, there was no routes available. I hope the next update with Save also brings back checkpoints.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

I'v had this problem to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

Yep we are still waiting on SOS updates 4 months later post release. if only we ponied up more cash, SOS for TSW3 got updated first, good thing we we fully informed, that we were purchasing a second tier product. when it was released. I would not have bought it in July that's for sure. How many of you would have bought SOS for TSW2 if DTG said umm ya we are launching TSW3 in September and the updates for SOS TSW2 are delayed until further notice but TSW3 will get those updates days after launch.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

uh. That scenario is broken in TSW3 as well. Thats where I ran into the issue. Clearly they haven't gotten around to fixing it.

11. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

On my 2nd attempt I managed to finish the scenario by keeping pressure and traction going through the tunnel while braking the train with the steam brake without idling the regulator, keeping the train at 20-22 mph (slightly too fast). I don't know if this wouldn't put too much stress on the axles IRL, but that way I managed to go flat out up the hill without losing power or grip. The train did slow down to about 12 mph, but once the largest portion of the train was up, I could speed up again and finish the service.

12. lancpudn

lancpudn Active Member

Same here.:(

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

Not me. I'm feeling really wronged here... first with a long wait for NTP and TVL updates then this SoS business with TSW3 and always having a feeling I'm buying content that I'll never use, such has bakerloo or cajon or koln-achen... bah... I'm through TSW for now...

14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It would be nice to hear from DTG that they have a “hit squad” entirely dedicated to sorting out the problems with SoS, in both TSW2 and TSW3. That ranges from the physics issues to the missing scenery and absolutely the AI SPADs at Edge Hill making some runs unplayable. Sadly it seems to be yet another example of the company’s laid back, lackadaisical fire and forget approach to these things. As I’ve mused previously, the route has probably achieved its target sales by now which means even game breaking bugs go to the bottom of the priority pile.

• Like Like x 1