Bug Report: Tsw3 On Ps5 - Invisible Train Cars/locomotives And Cars In A Consist Failing To Load.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Easy301, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

To start, here's a ten second video of an example on how this problem presents itself and exactly what happens during this bug:

This is on PS5, and is isolated only to TSW3 and can present itself regardless of route or service.

This isn't limited to any route, train, time of day or scenario. Nor does it seem to be related to performance as this happens even when the game is run into flawlessly.

Other ways this issue presents itself:
    -Sometimes when loading a large train such as a large intermodal/mixed freight on Cajon Pass, looking at the external view and down towards the end of your train you may notice your engines and the first few dozen or so cars show up fine, followed by empty invisible space in the consist, and then you'll have trained cars appear again continuing on for the length of the consist. Essentially making it look like your train is made up of multiple decoupled sets of cars when in reality the train is just not rendering a couple cars in the middle of the train. This is again resolved by bringing the camera close to the object.

-when pulling into a station the leading locomotive on a train that stopped maybe invisible leaving you to only see the forward most passenger car, the engine eventually appears once the camera is within a few feet of the engine.

-when on foot, walking through a yard or down the siding, the yard or siding may appear empty until you're within a few feet of a train in which case the train and its rolling stock will start to appear.

Other notes for the Dev team: I wouldn't say this is a common bug, but I also would not say it's rare. It's possible to play multiple scenarios in their entirety or for a few hours without seeing this issue at all, while other times you may see it multiple times in a play session. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way accurately reproducing this issue consistently. I've ran scenarios where cars were missing from AI trains that were parked in the station near to where the scenario starts, only to have the cars appear as normal upon restarting the scenario.

The inverse is also true, it's possible to play one scenario and have no issues, and then playing the same scenario a train that passes you during that scenario will have invisible cars on it.

This happens on routes from all generations of TSW releases when played in TSW3.

I've ruled out hardware issues or console issues on my end, and I've also verified that this is isolated only to train some world 3 and does not seem to happen in previous releases.

One last important note and most likely related bug: What IS reoroduceable and shows similar behavior to this bug in question is how long trains are rendered and displayed- You are unable to consistently see very many cars behind your train on a long train. What makes me believe this may somewhat be related to the bug above, is that after running the camera down the length of your train or letting the train roll past you and free camera view you are then able to see all of those cars when looking back from your locomotive, which indicates this wasn't some type of intentional setting to save on performance, it seems as though there's an issue with the rendering of distant rolling stock.

This is incredibly easy to reproduce by loading a very long train from a timetable on Cajon pass, go to external view and look down the length of your train from your engines, you'll notice either invisible cars in the middle of the train OR that you can't see the entire length of the train, if you then fly by the length of the train with the free camera or let the train roll by in its entirety near the camera you will then be able to see almost the entire train when looking back from the engines.

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Yes I’ve noticed this on ps5 too. Mostly on cajon pass but also seen once on sehs. as you say it doesn’t always occur but neither is it rare.

3. armus

armus Member

I haven't noticed this on other trains (though so far I've mostly been using german routes), but I have noticed it on the train I'm controlling when using the external view from the head of the trail to look at the tail (often the next-to-last car isn't shown until I move the camera closer).

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is the number one downside to TSW3 for me at the moment (other than the 64GB limit of course). Something is going wrong with how rolling stock assets are loaded and retained. I hope a fix can come soon to this as it is quite annoying having to keep moving a camera down the train to get wagons to load in at the start of a service and then again several times during a service.

It happens on every service with a long train in Cajon Pass and affects static rolling stock and locos in yards whenever they first attempt to load so I’d say it is a very common issue on that route.

5. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Thanks for your feedback on this. I'm glad others are noticing this issue, (though I'm sorry they are experiencing it too in the first place.) if not specifically the issue it my video it seems many people are at least seeing the issues with rolling stock being displayed on longer trains.

Hopefully all this feedback from everyone is a step in the right direction to getting it solved.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Same issue with invisible sections of train exists on XBox as well. Only seems to happen in TSW3, not TSW2. As has been said, extremely noticeable on Cajon Pass.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Oh god that happen on TSW2 as well and I noticed that when I played on TSW3 yesterday that they still haven’t patched that bug, it occurs on any trains with custom liveries

8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I don't have any custom liveries, it just happens, most noticeably on BNSF services.

9. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I was referring on OP’s video as it shows a custom 395

10. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Interesting, for myself and many others we are only seeing this in TSW3. Not to say it doesn't happen in TSW2, I've done extensive testing in TSW2 and haven't seen this issue occur, at least for me, it's been just a TSW3 issue.

11. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

I've noticed it most clearly too on Cajon, and it's easiest to notice on this route.

I thought maybe it was a performance or optimization setting or rendering technique that was tuned too agressively but that doesn't seem to be the case as after you let your entire train pass the camera or run your camera down the length of the train, you're able to see all your cars for the rest of the play session.

12. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

It regularly used to happen to me on TSW2 LGV for the PS4 and I assumed it was an LOD issue related directly to the high speeds on that route (it never seemed to occur in stations or on the slower approach to Marseilles). I now see it constantly in TSW3 on PS5, most recently on SKA where none of the regionals appeared to have locos attached to the dostos. In fact, what I could see was a driver sitting in thin air 25m ahead of the first dosto! Really annoying bug

13. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Funny you mention that! I first saw and noticed this issue on SKA (Assuming I'm getting the acronym right and we are talking about the German Route) their was no engine attached to the consist with that has the Cab control car on the end.

14. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I have mentioned this to matt, where the outside of the locomotive or coach doesn't spawn but you see the inside of the cab of the loco / coach spawn in first. Ideally it shouldnt. But it also happens on the series S and X and the PS4* version as well.

* thats all I have played TSW3 on so far.

The issue with the 395 us that its a custom livery
    I only have 3 custom liveries. Two of Adams and Cats Ukraine livery. For me its cat's Ukraine livery that does exactly what you show in the video, sorry cat). I always know when it appears as there is a sudden drop in fps (mainly into the range of yellow, but not unknown to go in the red). I'm debating whether to carry on using the livery.
    I also get that mainly with custom hobbies waggons. I only have one and they are the Trannswaggon liveried ones.

Hopefully they will look into these and gave a patch out at somepoint.

Hentis.

15. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a rather annoying problem that negatively affects the gaming experience. There's a lot more popping than in TSW2. It's strange that it happens on these next-gen consoles that in theory should make the game run pretty smoothly, but it's like it's having a hard time loading the rolling stock. And on long trains it even crashes when switching between the front and rear cameras of the train. Something is definitely not right, I hope DTG can fix it with an update.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I had the thing where an ICE 3 was showing the interior modelling only until it got quite close to me and the exterior popped in today. I’ve seen many times on Cajon Pass where the cargo shows first but not the wagon it’s on but this was the first time I’ve seen it on another route. After it happened, I did a bit of trainspotting on Würzburg station and trains were showing perfectly well from a distance even when zoomed in on the camera, and it was really busy. It’s odd that once something has been loaded once it seems to be able to load better the next time, even when there is a lot going on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Exactly, this doesn't appear performance related as it'll happen when nothing is going on and others time will work perfectly fine in very busy situations.

On the PS5 after extensive testing between TSW2 and TSW3 I overall get less stable performance on TSW3 sometimes by a large margin.

More importantly this happens on routes that were stable and smooth on TSW3.

My biggest concern is that I hope DTG doesn't try and correct these issues by just turning down graphical fidelity when I truthfully don't think that's the culprit, there's some optimization issues happening under the hood that's causing these issues. Overall performance isn't the issue it's things like stuttering and asset loading even on routes that ran perfectly on TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

It does happen in TSW2 as well with custom liveries from CC. I had to take them all off (mainly weathered and rebranded freight wagons to make the train look a little less boring).
    But I basically blamed my lowly PS4 and its outdated performance. That this happens also on PS5 is like a punch in the stomach.

19. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I have seen that some trains don't show up in last minute or after they passed I do wonder if this is to do with the 64 limit that I'm pretty much on with over 50% not installed of what I own on tsw3 or is it a bug that could be on pc and xbox as well. I now this can happen on TS as well

20. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

I saw this on CRR today running the Extra 3014 South service.

Here's the view from the back of the train.

[​IMG]

You'll see the complete middle isn't rendered.

And here's from the front. The middle is again missing BUT oddly enough the top of the coal from some of the cars in the middle is rendered.

[​IMG]

Just reporting in case it helps.