Accessibility Options (not Just Pc...)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG Matt, Sep 26, 2022.

1. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Hi everyone

I'm taking a look at the accessibility options that could be added in the future for the game and wanted to throw it out for wider feedback - what changes to the game's inputs / outputs would help you play it better?

E.g. font sizes, keyboard mappings for all functions - these have been discussed elsewhere - what else should be looked at? What makes other games more accessible to you and you'd like to see in TSW?

Thanks, I appreciate your time!

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Customisable UI colour mapping would be both useful for those with colour blindness and for general users who want a more personalised menu.

Cheers

• Like Like x 10
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Definitely increased font sizes - especially were a small font is used. I don’t really understand why developers insist on making text so small.

Highlighted colour for the UI cursor. Grey on grey is very awkward.

I would also like to see a secondary shift key on console controllers, so more functions could be added to the controller and for the high/low horn not to be split across non-shift and shift.

• Like Like x 8
  4. DTG Matt

There's three shift keys already on the controller - the problem is that shift keys inherently *reduce* accessibility.

Not sure we'd get to customising the colouring of the UI - the colouring is a complex subject but maybe we need a high contrast option? As it is - everything in the UI has gone through all of the standard colour blindness filters to ensure they are still identifiable and separable so would be interested to know where you are having problems.

Matt.

5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Hi Matt, I‘m neither colour blind neither do I have any other Accessibility issues, but I have to agreed that the Grey highlight makes things difficult. I‘ve found myself selecting the wrong option multiple times. It just isn’t clear.

• Like Like x 12
  6. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

While not strictly an accessibility issue, a set of simple controls would be nice for casual gamers, young children, and people with learning disabilities. My 7-year-old son fits into the latter two categories. He loves steam trains, but struggles with the controls on Spirit of Steam and some of the TSC content. When I found the simple controls on TSC it helped him a lot.

One button for go, one for stop. A simple reverser. That kind of thing. No reading or fiddling with startup controls required.

The little glowly controls from the original Heavy Haul seem like they were also helpful for understanding the basics without reading or memorizing complex workflows.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  7. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

In a windows world where greyed out is normally "unselectable", I would also appreciate a colour on the menu "buttons". Anything but grey.
    It spoils what is a very much improved UI.
    Small fonts are an annoyance of mine as well, especially after moving to 1440p. But that's more age related.. :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Before you decide to increase font sizes and stuff for all of us, could we please have an option to make stuff smaller? The HUD is taking up a pretty big portion of my 4K moninor I'm using at my desk, and I'd rather use that space to enjoy the scenery or have a better view on in-cab gauges. Never really liked how the huge speedometer blocks out the in-cab brake gauge meter on the Class 101 for example (I know you can move the camera, but that means you're not looking straight forward on the tracks, which just feels weird). I also wouldn't mind being able to move HUD elements even further into the corners of the screen, so I can max out the portion of the screen used to display train/scenery. (Would it be fair to call this "immersion"? ;) )

Additionally, I'd like to see the keybinds on tooltips of in-cab controls, so I don't have to look up in settings or manuals which button I can use to quickly access that in-cab lever/button. Not sure that's an accessibility thing, but it'd make my life a bit easier.

And, coming for TSC (which I haven't played for the past few years since TSW2020) I still miss the visual indication of the distance to the station and stopping point I'm approaching. I know we have a distance countdown, but I often keep misjudging distances and either overshoot the stopping point or approach way to slow. I have the stop marker and objective marker disabled on purpose because those really ruin the immersion for me, because they're anything but subtle. But the visual HUD that TSC had was pretty neat. It also doesn't help that the trackside signs for stopping points (especially the blue X-car stop signs on UK routes) are hard to spot from a distance, even on a 4K resolution. Any kind of visual aid that does not ruin immersion by being in the middle of the screen would be nice. Again, not sure that's an accessibility thing, but I'm taking this opportunity to bring this under attention. :cool:

Oh, and it'd be nice if the HUD would be able to give more upcoming speed restrictions than just the next one, especially on US routes that have frequently changing speed limits and no reliable trackside signage to warn you. Perhaps not an accessibility thing either, but I think this helps us all. :)

• Like Like x 8
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Which are the three shift keys? Thought it was only square on PS5?

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Also, the route selection menu resets the sorting order everytime I open the menu. I'd like it to remember it when I choose A-Z sorting order.

And, I just discovered, while the searchbar brings up Haupstrecke München-Augsburg when searching for "münchen", it doesn't work for "munchen". Not a huge problem for me as I know how to type an "ü", but I guess it may be a nice QoL feature for those who don't.

Additionally, it'd be nice if routes could be searched by their destination, so I can look up the Reading-Paddington route without remembering the routes is named "Great Western Express". (Or with other words, let a search for "Reading" bring up GWE). Especially considering half of the routes are named after their end-to-end destinations, but the other half isn't.

Also, it'd help if sorting the trains alphabetically would actually list them in alphabetic order, instead of this...
    20220926161407_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. DTG Matt

Holding Square is the operations shift.
    Holding down the right stick is the Camera shift
    Holding down Cross is the Steam shift.

Matt.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DTG Matt

Re font sizes - completely agree, not about to make the game mega-font without it being a selectable option.

Saving sort - i'll add it to UI team.
    Munchen - yep I already raised that one, it's on their list.
    Destinations - interesting idea, i'll mention it as well.

BUT - if we could focus on Accessibility that would be very helpful to me please - feel free to start other topics, i'm not just in this one :)

Matt.

13. TheChickenWing

TheChickenWing New Member

Hello,
    at first I have to say that I do like the new menu-UI-design :)

But I think it is necessary to redesign the ingame UI (when you drive a train).

Important for me are five information:
    - current time
    - timetable time (eg. stops, arrival / departure)
    - next destination
    - are passengers boarding
    - current speed (maybe the speedlimit too)

I have an really basic example how a optimal UI (for my personal preferences) could looks like:
    UI.png
    In the top left corner you have all timetable related information: current time, arrival / departure time, name of station and a symbol which indicates if passengers are boarding or not. If all aboard it could be turn green and after a few meters of driving it go invisible.
    In the bottom right corner is the current speed indicator.

I do not like big UI elements and I only need the core information for driving. The current speedometer ingame is far too big and and looks like a car speedometer out of a racing-game :) The circle which shows if passengers are boarding and how long it takes is in my opinion not really important and too much for "unimportant" information.

Mostly I do prefer no ui when driving. But aslong there is no EbuLa or something related ingame and driving trains with mph speed-indicators I have to drive with the UI on.

Please have in mind that I am a PC gamer and I personal do not like big UI elements. For consoles and player who like a big UI it should be possible to adjust sizes (element and font).

I hope I was able to present you my idea of an alternate UI :)

Best Regards

• Like Like x 3
  14. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, as many postprocessing toggles/sliders as possible are always welcome. (Motion Blur/Bloom/Contrast/Gamma/Brightness/etc)

Some folks have suggested an auto snap-to feature would assist in pressing certain controls in the cab. I am pretty sure this could be implemented in a similar manner to other UE4 games' aim assist.
    More detailed speed and acceleration sliders can be a different option to assist here too, as well as individual ones based on zoom level.

High contrast modes as well as opacity sliders for UI elements can be beneficial for many.

I second the call for a simplified control override option for those who could be better able to enjoy the game if it was a thing, but realise it would be no small undertaking to essentially automate all the features outside of throttle and braking and make every loco work out of the box like certain EMUs. On XBox I am glad that at least they have the system level accessibility feature of copilot mode, so for example someone like Thelonius in the comments above can jump in to essentially act as a secondman, but automating such functions has its obvious benefits in that situation.

TSW3 has made many positive steps, but is still a foundation that has room for a lot of improvement, and it's good to see DTG engaged with this.

15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

hardcore mode on/off

limited HUD
    first person camera only
    more restricted pennalties eg when overspeeding
    total score boost which could help with some now impossible gold medals
    etc

16. DTG Matt

Thanks Princess Entrapta have added more notes :)

TheChickenWing thanks for the feedback - a minimal HUD is something on the list I want to do as I too would prefer that, but works opposite to the purpose of accessibility in this thread :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DTG Matt

Sorry just to be clear.

Accessibility is primarily about having adjustments and options which make the game more playable to those who are disabled in some way such as colour, dyspraxia or other motor control issues.

This thread is *not* about gathering a wish list for making it harder - I hear you and am aware of what you're all wanting on that front, but, not for this thread please.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I am colour blind myself and used to have difficulty differentiating signal colours on TSW. This is much better on newer routes, however, especially from further away still not always possible. In my experience, many people with this deficiency see colours different, even between themselves, hence, I think it will be difficult finding colours to suite everybody individually.

Hence, and I believe I have proposed this before, some years ago, I would suggest to offer at least two different colour sets for signals, maybe one being a bit more extreme, where green could be a white, for example, to always be able to differentiate it from a yellow.

The UI, on the other hand, I have no issue with at all…

• Like Like x 2
  19. DTG Matt

I presume you mean the in-world signals rather than the HUD? I'm not sure if they can be tuned separately but I can find out.

Are you averse to the HUD providing more detail perhaps? E.g. while "red/yellow/green" is probably not useful if you need to know "approach limited" or "expect reduction to 60km/h" - if the HUD had that, would that be sufficient?

Matt.

20. OpenMinded

Yes, this is not about the HUD. To have the most immersive experience I tend to drive without HUD when possible. But I agree, the HUD is always my fall back solution to find out what is far in the distance, which I can not differentiate.

It would only be a nice to have, I guess, as it is not hindering me from playing the game, just not as immersive as it could be for me.

21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Personally I found the HUD signal indication too limited and only causing confusion. Especially on German routes where every signal restriction is being shown as if it were a yellow (expect a red). Additionally, it only displays main signals, not distant signals. The signal HUD was the first thing I turned off, and I learned to be more aware of the actual signals.

I guess the HUD signal indication would be more useful and more accurate if it'd display the actual aspect the signal is giving (albeit it, without relying solely on colors).

• Like Like x 1
  22. DTG Matt

OpenMinded - could you take some screenshots of signals in various places that are hard to tell apart, then put them in your favourite paint tool and try out some colours that make it easier to see and share them? Just looking for ideas at this point, have confirmed in theory colour swapping the lenses is possible at least. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  23. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Having your FOV so its fixed, I like to zoom in on some routes so I can see track side speed posts etc clearer (especially on US routes), problem is whilst we can zoom in everytime you switch to an external camera or the map it defaults back out. Would be nice if it at least remembered your setting even if this wasnt selectable via a options menu.

More user defined key binds (as I stated in a previous thread) also the ability to user define RD buttons binding so I dont need to have a keyboard next to my raildriver for functions not on the RD. Also have all RD buttons mapped to the same function. Lost count of how many times Ive shut a german loco down because what is PZB on one loco is Pan down or MCB open on another.

24. andrewtodd793

andrewtodd793 Member

I think it would be good if you could use ps5 joy pad to it's full potential ie rumble features and adaptive triggers being used

25. OpenMinded

I opened a thread on this, at some point:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/signal-lights-for-colour-blind.35338/

There are some screenshots in there. As I am away from home it will take me some time to grab some more examples.

Oh, and I did try to post this just after my last post as well, however, taxi was too short, takeoff too fast, and connection gone too early, but it was still saved in my writing field:

Didn’t see the second part of your question. The problem with the HUD is more that it gives you information before you are actually able to see it on the track. That is a real immersion killer for me…

• Like Like x 2
  26. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Keyboard mapping for Xbox Series!
    You can use mouse and keyboard almost perfectly but there is one keyboard key that does not work on Xbox and it ruins the experience since its one of the main break keys. If this would be fixed...would be great Matt!

• Like Like x 3
  27. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Which keyboard key is it?

28. TheChickenWing

TheChickenWing New Member

Hello,
    thanks for your reply :) Yes, my bad... English is not my native language therforce sometimes it could be possible I am misunderstanding something;) I thought "accessibility" not only means "easier way to operate for e.g. colorblind people" but also in other directions like general customization.

Sorry :)

Best Regards

29. PseudoStalker

PseudoStalker Well-Known Member

Please add:
    1. Detail description to graphics settings - which features enables and what exactly changes on low, medium, high and ultra not only for premade presets, but for every item.
    2. Sharpening (may helps alot for low resolution with TAA enabled).
    3. Station and train names on 2D map.
    4. Disable station names localisation in Russian version.

• Like Like x 1
  30. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Since changing the font size in most cases also requires scaling the UI elements, then maybe it could be the UI scale instead, with both scales over 100%, but also under 100%, too (something like by modifying ApplicationScale, but with corrected position of on-screen markers, working in livery editor, etc).

31. +1 for brightness, contrast and gamma.

When I play on brighter displays the brightness is eye damaging.

• Like Like x 1
  32. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

The ingame distance to go waypoint marker can be really difficult to see (both in size of text and colour) under certain conditions for anyone with less than perfect eyesight. It was an issue in TSW2 and despite various calls for an alternative marker for us poor souls has found it's way into TSW3.

If you insist on leaving it so small / awkwardly coloured then could you at least place it somewhere onscreen (maybe between the rails just in front of the train) where it cannot interact with the violent sunlight.

Also a bit of weird one that I honestly don't know if anyone has had the same issues with. On quite a lot of occasions when I glance at the little incline/decline train on the HUD I can't actually determine if it's showing an up slope or a down slope. I really don't know why this is but either way it would be nice if that train thingy (which if truth be told is a bit overkill for it's purpose anyway) could be replaced with a simple up/down arrow alongside the incline/decline figure.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I would like to be able to turn that objective distance marker off but keep the blue objective marker active. Currently if you disable the objective distance marker the actual objective marker is too. As such, the marker has to remain on screen. This is especially a nuisance doing scenarios or training were you might have to exit a train and walk to the objective marker to end the session.

• Like Like x 1
  34. pinxtonpaws

The only reason I use the distance to go marker is because some station stops still require you to hit the exact required distance in order for it to trigger the next task....and without that visual aid it's impossible to tell where that point is.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Another thing is the gui. Could there be a option to remove it all apart from the throttle brake position please?

• Like Like x 1
  36. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

A selectable menu color scheme would be nice. I kinda know that dark gray is select and light is not select now but having a choice to make it easier would be nice.

wrapping around the menu tabs (using rb on Xbox to go from message log to the left most tab) would be nice

some larger fonts and more subtitle boxes fonts on the longer explanations in the new tutorials would be nice. I had to put on my reading glasses to see some of them in a 70” tv. Would be nice. For example when explaining the brake systems break up the really cool but long and small text into smaller chunks in larger fonts and switch them with the narration

mad far as wishlist a button on console to turn off the bell would be great. A button to turn cab light on/off and wipers on/off would be awesome. I’ve left my starting point late a fair number of times looking for them. Some locos are harder than others to locate them.

37. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

There's a distance counter in the HUD with the objective. I believe the distance is only shown when the marker is disabled. (Not sure why, might be better to show distance in HUD regardless of marker enabled/disabled). I had to explain this to a friend of mine recently, so it looks like people aren't aware of the distance showing in the HUD when markers are disabled. TrainSim-Matt

38. DTG Matt

Should be shown in the objective on the top left all the time, I remember us specifically making that change... i'll double check it hasn't gone away :)

39. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Seems it is. I was mistaken. Is this new in TSW3 or did I overlook this in TSW2 too? :|

40. DTG Matt

Its been in TSW2 for a long time :) I think it might have even been TSW2 or Rush Hour where it was changed. Long enough ago I don't have a clue anymore :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Apart from the fact that the menu is designed in a PC-typical way, it is noticeable again and all the more that there is no mouse support.
    I can connect a BT mouse to the PS4, it is also recognized. However, it cannot be used in TSW.

This may be irrelevant for the menu, but not for the Livery Designer and the Scenario Planner. The LD is not accessible to me at all with the controller and the SP is only accessible for very simple scenarios. Can hardly be said.

I can even imagine that most of the CC content comes almost exclusively from PC users, because for console users these two tools are hardly accessible without a mouse. Is that the intention?

I also don't know who came up with the glorious idea that the grayed out menu should now be the selected one? So just do everything the other way around. I take it this genius is employee of the month now? Celebrate and fire him!

And if I may also add this at this prominent point - these eternal and constant external camera collisions are unbearable and massively crash the immersion! This has to do with accessibility, because many stops have to be made in the cab view, which makes the outside view obsolete. Who would care if those unspeakable camera collisions were finally turned off? What are they good for? It's partly a crash boom bang festival! Unbearable!

There is often scrollable text in the text boxes of the timetables and scenarios. However, it is not scrollable on the PS4. So I'm missing information about the service. Apart from that, in contrast to TSW2, the times in the scenarios are missing. Does it play at night or during the day? One does not know.

Basically, it's just that console users are disadvantaged in many ways because it is always overlooked that a controller is not a mouse! Shouldn't a developer know this best?

On the other hand, I really have to acknowledge that I never thought it possible to control such a complex train simulator with a controller. But you did it really intuitively! And that shows impressively that you can do it - if you think about it.

42. Princess Entrapta

Be careful, they might end up going down the left-hand path of designing one of those awful UIs with a simulated mouse cursor controlled by the sticks that are so bafflingly popular right now.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

God save us from this evil! :mad:

44. odelacruzv

odelacruzv New Member

Totally agree. Been posting on this since TSW.

45. pinxtonpaws

That's kind of sidetracking from the problem as well as assuming that the HUD is switched on.
    But I'm a fair person - and if you feel that the waypoint marker in the following clip is both perfectly readable and of a functional use I will absolutely stand corrected
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/165214384

46. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it fits what you’re asking for, or if it’s been mentioned already, or even possible, but could you look into adding an opacity slider for the HUD? also an option for making the HUD smaller?

• Like Like x 2
  47. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about Colourblind options

48. DTG Matt

Talked about in this thread a lot, but if you have specifics you'd like to see - that's what I want to hear.

"Font size" mentioned in the very first post, so i'm not disagreeing - and on the in-world ball it's even less readable, however, I don't have any issue personally using the current system other than finding the font size a bit small so if you have specifics to call out in that video please do.

Can you expand on this? I know a lot of people using the controller extensively for both without issue and if anything we prioritised controller over the mouse, so if you have specifics please let me know and I can pass the feedback on to the UI team.

Shouldn't be any difference cross platform here- can you let me know which fields are not scrolling?

Thanks!
    Matt.

49. Princess Entrapta

As a note on the livery designer - if anything I actually appreciate when any kind of painting tools in a game have controls which let me move elements in steady increments one button press at a time like with a d-pad rather than a mouse, as it makes it far easier to align them properly.

• Like Like x 1
  50. PseudoStalker

PseudoStalker Well-Known Member

And don't forget to change the "go via" marker from ↓ to ➔
    Cause why they still have the same icon so many years?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022