West Somerset Railway Worth Getting On Ps4?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by florians#7620, Sep 26, 2022.

1. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    As the title suggests, I’ve been thinking about adding WSR to my collection on my PS4. After seaching the forums I am pretty sure it sounds like it’s worth getting. I really don’t mind slow speeds, as I have read comments saying this is a minus point for this route, especially if the scenery is lovely.

Some specific questions to those that have WSR, ideally on PS4:

- Does SOS layer in with a Steam service at all, like it does with the railtour service on SEHS?

- And does WSR in turn offer railtour layers for other modern british routes?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There is no layer from WSR to SoS or vice versa. You will need to set up steam runs yourself in Scenario Planner or look for same in Creator’s Club.

WSR is a nice route but showing its age compared to newer content and the signalling can be a bit quirky - trains can get stuck even without the problems resuming a save game. Probably worth waiting for a sale, though I see you are on PS so not sure how often they occur compared to our fairly regular sales on Steam.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

The WSR timetable is basically a diesel gala so you get the chance to operate heritage diesels from other routes and DLCs such as the 31, 20 etc as well as the core content. No steam though.

I love it, although the scenery is patchy in quality. The coastal scenery is generally good. The Quantocks less so. The stations are accurately modelled. The area around Minehead station (terminus end) is inaccurate but detailed.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. florians#7620

Thanks very much for the feedback so far guys! Just watched a cab ride on youtube of the real thing, and it sure is a pretty run.

5. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember the scenery becoming nicer, but not sure if that was a pres crew update, or when I switched to PS5. Nice route for a bimble, but stuff like the 52 (which has a really nice panoramic view out) really wants to go faster!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The diesels are a bit wasted really, apart from the 09 which is quite fun.

Of course you can go a bit faster than 25 MPH if you want and don't mind not getting many AP's, plus you will be waiting time at stations.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´ve got it on PS4 and quite like it. It´s a chilling out route, very relaxing, a bit romantic. Could´ve been designed right out of a Rosamunde Pilcher novel. Yet, you´ve got a working turntable at Minehead station, a few scenarios addressing it, a Class 09 and I like to take it with the Class 33.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

If you have other Br-blue era routes, I would definitely recommend the WSR. The new timetable is really good and it allows the substitution of pretty much every old British diesel locomotive. The route feels much more alive than it was previously. There are even a few additional Br 101 DMU services if you own TVL.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

I don't mind slow routes- like US freight, for example. But US freight is slow for good reasons, reasons that you're probably already aware of + things can get out of hand quickly when descending a steep grade.
    But WSR always frustrated me because I had something like the Class 52 that could really rip but you're supposed to keep it to 25.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Always enjoyed this route, the 09 and 33 suit it very well. It's chilled and nostalgic.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. florians#7620

Thanks everyone for your help! :)
    I decided to go for it, and get WSR.
    First impression is very very good. I think I’m going to enjoy it alot!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Jay1986

Jay1986 Well-Known Member

Depends if you like slow routes. Max speed is roughly 25mph.
    For me it’s a bit of a sleep fest, as I prefer faster trains/journeys. I was thoroughly surprised though when running the steam trains in scenario planner. The steam loco’s really suited the route and scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  13. florians#7620

I look forward to running some steam on WSR too! :)

14. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

There is a reason though, in real life all heritage railways in the UK are restricted to 25mph, which allows them to be exempt from laws governing modern safety standards like doors that lock.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Although WSR is a heritage route, it is no less exciting and varied because of its scenarios. So there is the possibility to refuel, to shunt wagons as well as to move using the turntable in Minehead.

In addition, up to 11 locomotives currently have layers on WSR or are available as separate DLC. Steam can be added in the scenario planner. So it's anything but boring on WSR.

The Class 101 also has a layer here. This route invites you to familiarize yourself with the shifting processes of the manual gearbox.

The speed argument does not apply, because an ICE reaches its destination at 250kph in 30 minutes, just like a destination at 25mph. In addition, the topography and the slow-speed sections are quite demanding. So there is hardly any question of falling asleep.

The track is all in all very picturesque and has a dense atmosphere especially with dynamic weather. Even if the focus is on slowing down, you always have the feeling of being part of the action.

WSR was and is one of my favorite tracks, a pearl and something special among all the others.

• Like Like x 6
  16. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Sure, there’s an artificial reason unrelated to physics. I’m a proponent of realism so I would not suggest changing the track speed but I will be frank and say the route became an absolute snooze fest for me after I completed the scenarios.
    The lack of speed and lack of quick speed changes just make the route feel inactive compared to others.

“An ICE reaches its destination in 30 minutes, just like a destination at 25mph”
    I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here- that there’s no difference between high speed and low speed?
    I’m not really an ICE guy myself but when you’re operating at a faster pace, you need to manage speed changes and steep grades at a faster pace. Dresden Chemnitz isn’t ICE but that’s a route that’s great for that type of action, for example- you get to really push the locos in that route too.
    Or, at least if you’re operating heavy freight, you’re managing and constantly evaluating these things to keep control of your train.
    Lots of activity in either situation. Lots of pushing the locos.
    But with WSR, it’s pretty much just a leisurely stroll along a scenic area in locos that feel like they can do so much more.
    There’s a few people here that love that, not me, I want activity.
    Like if I’m going to run the 101 I’d rather pick any of the other 3 routes that it’s available on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

I expressed myself somewhat misleadingly. The ICE1 on SKW races towards its destination at 250 kph and arrives after an hour. The Class 09 "rushes" towards its destination at 25 mph and also arrives after an hour. I wanted to express the relation.

On fast routes I have LZB and also AFB. That's not action for me. On WSR I have to drive manually and carefully brake and pass the speed-restricted sections. I'm more busy with that, because the timetable is pretty tight here too. Just because I'm slow doesn't mean I can stroll.

In contrast to the high-speed routes, WSR offers far more interaction with the entire railway operation. And the hour that passes doesn't matter whether I'm traveling at 250 kph or just 25 mph. I'm doing the same job here, only without LZB and AFB.

It's also a gala route for both diesel and steam, and a Class 101 has to be mastered first.

For me, the high-speed routes are pretty boring. I have little to do and can't even enjoy the scenery. I drive from A to B and I don't even get anything out of it. WSR gives me the time and peace to enjoy and fulfill everything that it entails! I would even like to say- WSR is my base. Feeling home here.

It's very opposite and you either like it or you don't. And I like it historical and cosy. No need to hurry. It is always my pleasure... For you it is an ICE or something else fast. Enjoy :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

Even downloading scenarios, using SoS on the WSR feels fantastic and also so *right*. No beef with the diesel gala theme, but it's a steam route first and foremost imo

• Like Like x 3
  19. florians#7620

Have had a few runs now on WSR, and I am realky glad I got this route. Loving the old school trains and the slow steady pace that allows the beautiful scenery to be taken in. It is a heritage railway after all, and the ride itself is more important than getting to the destination. :) I‘d recommend this to anyone that doesn‘t have it yet!
    DAC1E2B0-735E-4B46-A441-61D05852A5A9.jpeg C33C56F6-CD92-427C-A5D7-29424828EB43.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  20. Jay1986

Jay1986 Well-Known Member

Your response pretty much sums up how I feel as a player of this game.
    The German routes, LZB/PZB safety systems really keep you on your toes. Compare those to the WSR route. It’s a gorgeous route I can’t deny that, but all you’re doing is accelerating and braking whilst opening/closing doors at stations. All at a slow pace of 25 mph or less. There’s nothing challenging about it.

• Like Like x 2
  21. andy#3741

andy#3741 Active Member

Can you use the class 37,31, 40 ...or 08 to haul the timetabled services?

I can't get into the creator's club at the moment for some reason, so any way I could add a steam loco into the WSR timetable?

thanks

22. florians#7620

The 37, 40 & 08 sub in on the timetable services yes. I can‘t remember about the 31.

Steam trains can only be added in scenario planner, or free roam in timetable mode.

Edit: Yes, the 31 subs in as well. - The class 20, 45, the blue 47‘s (as well as the Blackpool ones) and the 101 can be used too.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  23. andy#3741

andy#3741 Active Member

Thanks Florian's

I'm not sure why I can't get into creators club at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  24. florians#7620

Just edited my post too. The 31 is avaliable as well

• Like Like x 1
  25. andy#3741

andy#3741 Active Member

Running round the coaches the signal at Bishops Lydeard north shunt is not coming off. So I can't run into the platform to couple up to the coaches. I must be missing something

Edit
    Just found that I had to press circle on PS4 controller.

Travelled along this line in the mid 80s, they were using 060 industrial tank engines. Remember the nice views over the coastal areas.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  26. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

The 31 is particularly enjoyable on this route as it is quite a weak locomotive in real life so you can open it up a bit on the gradients here.

• Like Like x 3
  27. andy#3741

andy#3741 Active Member

It would be nice to be able add extra coaches to the seven coach trains.

I see the 8f is in the scenario planner on a short freight. So I kept within the speed restrictions for a mile or two , then thought I'd open the 8f up a bit. Topped Washford bank at 42mph, then down the other side I had 90mph before the 8f decided it wanted a lie down.

28. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

You can make decent runs in scenario planner as it is fairly flexible due to simplicity of the route. Obviously without the run around at each end.

In scenario planner you can add the extra coaches. Try the 8f with 10 coaches from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard for a challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  29. andy#3741

andy#3741 Active Member

OK thanks

I've never used the scenario planner to make up a train. Can you add any loco you like in scenario planner? Infact I'm not sure if the 8f was already in the scenario planner? I was trying to get into creators club, but it won't let me. I clicked on scenario planner, and there was the 8f, and below another scenario titled S&D remembered, not sure what that involves, apart from memories of the Somerset and Dorset rlwy obviously.
    Also I thought the WSR was 22 miles long.
    After a run along the line, it says only 18 miles traveled.

I've used the scenario planner with the 4F, it only lets me select 5 x MK1 coaches. Can I add more?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  30. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

If you don't mind a slow linear route just with diesels it's ok. I only got it because I rode on it. The scenery is nothing special. Needed steam trains putting on to it, but DTG are too busy releasing endless dlc.

31. andy#3741

andy#3741 Active Member

In scenario planner I ran a double headed 8F freight with the ICI hoppers 1,340 tonnes. Managed to keep it moving, but had a couple of slips on Washford bank, and was down to 2mph before clearing the summit at 9mph.
    If I ignore the speed restrictions I'm sure the 8fs would be better.
    I did get a blue screen error that stopped the run, before completing the length of the line.

Overall quite good fun.