Sd40-2 Yn3b In G089 - Grain - Chicago To Brunswick

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rafael, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Rafael

Rafael Guest

Train Sim World 2_20220923112451.jpg

I started playing G089 - Grain - Chicago to Brunswick and it's using two SD40-2 locomotives at the front, with none at the back. Halfway through, the train started going slower and slower climbing up a steep hill until eventually it had no more power to carry on. No matter what I tried, I could never get it to finish going up the mountain.

I then looked on YouTube and searched the forums, and noticed that everyone else had an AC440CW for this journey, which makes sense, considering that it has more power to climb those mountains.

I wonder if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm playing on a PS4 and TSW2 was updated just a few days ago. I don't know if that changed anything.

Thanks for all the help.

2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Try otherwise to change the head loco to an AC4400CW instead otherwise

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Rafael

Rafael Guest

Thanks for replying. How can I do that?

4. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

This exact service can be selected on the AC4400CW - in fact, any service that leaves Cumberland can be played using either an SD40 or AC4400CW

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Rafael

Rafael Guest

Oh, I had no idea that the locomotive could be selected. That did the trick. Thanks so much!

6. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

Well, i allwais past, how do you explain that?? I tink you dont have the 2 locos conected properli.

7. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Many timetable services are duplicated across various locomotives, but it's an unfortunate reality that some appear for locos that aren't up to the task. If you just want to fill out the timetable, you can start with the most powerful loco (AC4400CW) and work your way down.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Did you have the MU valve set to lead or dead?

It's possible to get the train moving with the valve in the wrong position (which it is usually set incorrectly by default at the start of the service) but you'll essentially have a lot less power as you'll be fighting the breaks the entire time.

Many people often miss a step like this and assume that because the train moves that it's providing all the power it's able to when infact it's severely limited. The valve being in the wrong position is a huge culprit of this

Iirc there shouldn't be any issues completing this scenario with the power provided.

9. Rafael

Rafael Guest

I had the MU valve set to lead on the front engine. Isn't that the correct position? I always have to change it at the beginning of every journey.

I ended up switching to the AC440CW and that worked without any issues.

10. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Yes that's the right position.

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Try getting an AC4400CW the easiest way to do this is going to journey mode Big power then start it.

• Like Like x 1