Upcoming Release Train Sim World 3 - Brand New Loco Bundle: Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG JD, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Before anyone asks how I learned that I figured I'd dig it up and post it. I got the info go to 3:12:00 or so, they showed the most played routes, with both a TSW2 only version, and a version which includes the content for TSW2020. Clinchfield is nowhere in either version, which would imply it was at most 11th in terms of playtime amongst TSW2 routes at the time.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

On forum it was popular, but I know on Steam it was a more lukewarm response, people did NOT like all the bugs it had. I also know Jeff Favignano did videos covering the route, and he also wasn't a huge fan of it, he didn't feel it was that different from Sand Patch I believe. Entirely speculation, but his opinion might actually be more accurate to how the average outsider would've viewed it, as he isn't really a train buff like say those on the forum might be.

• Like Like x 3
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I think the last time that a DLC was universally underwhelmed the community was WCL and that got pulled from release
    Be interesting to see if DTG do the same here.

I note that DTG aren't even doing a release day stream for it, instead leaving it to the ambassadors.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Long time player here (since TSW2020). Have all the DLC (but won't going forward as I really don't touch American stuff anymore) and have hundreds of hours in the game, but I would still class myself as a casual player. These packs are exactly what I like. I like driving trains, I don't care if it's slightly inaccurate, I can use my imagination. Diesel Legends was worth it for me just for the scenarios and timetables. I really enjoy thrashing a Class 52 up and down. The fact that I had the other DLC already just made it better.

I don't know, but I suspect there are at least a few others that feel the same as DTG keep making these packs. They have the gameplay figures and they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would sell.

The pack is cheap to me. I'll get 9 extra scenarios and some extra timetable services. I don't really care for the American Loco (though I thought it looked quite nice on the stream), but will definitely have some fun with the 182 and the RHHT.

Too many people assume that because they don't want it it doesn't make sense. While I understand your reasoning completely, it doesn't fit my style of play for people that just like driving lots of different trains. I'm betting that this pack will actually be quite popular. The target audience just maybe isn't what you think it ought to be.

• Like Like x 10
  5. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Do you know if there will be any new journey packs? I can understand they don't come with a loco add-on pack but I watched the stream and I understood that from now on you will be able to buy loco's separately if you don't want the route and you can use them in scenario planner on other routes. I think it would be interesting if you would sell journeys for routes where those loco's are suitable. Not like the New jouneys pack from TSW2 where loco's and reskins were added, but just journeys

Don't know how long it takes to build the scenarios for the journeys so I might set the price to be non sustainable but I was thinking about micro transactions like €2,99 to add extra journeys to routes. I have played around with the scenario planner before and it's awesome that you can build scenarios but to me it feels very PC and I don't mean that in a bad way but in videogames I think of myself more as a consumer than a creative.

6. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

“ Brand New “ has now been re-fined in the dictionary under the word ‘recycled’

there was me getting excited to think we’d get some decent British 2nd DMUs like 158s, 153s, pacers etc ( that actually work ) or a class 50 ….

It’s a no from me

• Like Like x 10
  7. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

I would love that, my favourite era was the days of class 50s or Wessex Electrics on Network Southeast, class 58 Railfreight coal, pacers heading down Cornwall, DTG does a good job of earlier diesels with a lot of BR blue, and modern stock like Javelins, but there is very little of the period in between.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, the F7 really doesn't make much sense. The german Taurus and the RHTT train are good, because they are unique, while actually making sense. But the F7 is just weird and doesn't fit the route. That being said, I might still get it if I ever get TSW3, as I like the F7, but wish they would've made it more reasonable. As others have pointed out, it's unrealistic. They said it's supposed to be a restored and preserved variant to fit the modern era, but it doesn't actually fit it due to the lack of ditch lights. Wouldn've been really better to use some other loco that actually fits the setting, then save the F7 for later for a proper retro pack.

• Like Like x 6
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Most buyers have no idea about realism. They like the F7 in this paint job. DTG chose populism. Real fans have to get used to somehow or start playing games from the competition. The choice is close to no choice. BR o7

PS I like almost everything and buy almost everything, but I haven't felt real euphoria for a long time. TSW 3 overall I like a lot. Best incarnation for me. So the evolve is real. Still waiting for revol'

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. coasterflo

coasterflo Well-Known Member

So regardless of the locomotive DLC, another problem is that the iconic F7 in the Santa Fe look is now used here as an "accessory" for a current freight train route.

I come from Germany and the F7 Santa Fe is something like the holy grail for German fans of American trains together with the matching passenger train or the Super Chief.

This loco would have deserved its own route, we didn't have a historic American passenger route yet anyway. This locomotive would have been the ideal model for it and that it is now being released in this "DLC" without everything that goes with it, just doesn't do justice to the original, the myth of this locomotive and train and the fan community.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Can confirm. Coming from Germany as well and the Super Chief with warbonnet F7s is absolutely legendary here. Just imagine if we got something like this
    [​IMG]
    (It's the El Capitan but still - source)
    or this
    [​IMG]
    (source)
    instead of just the F7s.
    It's such a shame that we got warbonnet F7s in this halfhearted way instead of with a proper route (or proper consist at least).

• Like Like x 5
  12. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The 66 literally only features a remote control in the cab (big whoop(!)) and a weathered version of an existing livery we already have, which arguably should’ve been included in the core game to being with (fun fact - it is. However, it’s locked behind a paywall)

Hardly ‘brand new locos’ as DTG is marketing it as. All that is new here is the RHTT wagons.

• Like Like x 5
  13. How comes the rhtt spray looks 10 times better on a game my kids playing on roblox right now?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The Warbonnet paint on the F-Units is so iconic, it even somewhat made it to Austria.
    santa_fe_nohab_w_special_train_by_morpheusphotoworks_d28n2ug-fullview.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  15. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Great northern railway managed to Sweden for a movie and the livery is still in use today i think[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Then they wonder why some don't view tsw as a simulator

• Like Like x 4
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

TSW doesn't know what it wants to be

• Like Like x 8
  18. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I finally found time to watch the latest stream, ( at least the F7 part ) and 2 things struck me on the downside.

One is that the Mars light is kind of " Emperor's new clothes " . I just don't see any oscillation, despite MP and JD gushing over it. And it's simply not bright enough. The headlights on the F7 are generally underwhelming.

Secondly, I see that they went with an ABBA configuration with a shortened consist, rather than taking the opportunity to introduce " banking com ". ( A broken promise from last year ).

Despite these issues, I like the overall look and feel of the loco and I'll be buying the pack next week. It's fun to drive and it's just a few bucks, after all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Wait for more versions that means the ÖBB Baureihe 1216 and DB Baureihe 183 that is a 182 with the electrical equipment of a DB Baureihe 193 & 189 then ÖBB Baureihe 1293. The way tell it apart from the 182 is that your Banking comms PZB brakes are in the engine room. 182 can be reskinned to make an ÖBB 1016/1116

20. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Interesting, I like the idea of being able to purchase different locos separately, but I would still like to see my transferred to TSW3 CN Oakville locos become available for use in CC LD for customization.

Why is it that we can buy separate locos/loco packs, but the ones we already own on Add-On are not available?
    Or have I missed something?

21. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I remember this from a marklin Group model railway catalog Nohab has the license to build F7s in Europe First one was Green paint. Then followed by the Norwegian Di 3 DSB Denmark MY. The one here is a Hungarian M61 since the M62 is a Ukrainian built Diesel locomotive which is also known as Deutsche Reichsbahn Baureihe 120 for Dresden Chemnitz Tharandter Rampe Riesa Dresden

22. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Im always for new liveries, services etc, but in this case dtg start to mix time periods and ruin the experience. What the heck?

Whats next: west highland line - class 700 to fort william?

I buy the pack because the rhht and the dispolock, but common there is really enough american stock for time apropriate liveries without going fantasy.

Running cajon in modern era while those old f7 units with new wagons drive by...., not worth a second of my time. What are you thinking dtg??

• Like Like x 4
  23. Lamplight

The lens flare is what's really missing. For everyone's benefit, this is what a real Mars light looks like in action, and this is DTG's version. The very obvious effect is completely destroyed in TSW.

When I saw the pictures before clicking the article, I assumed DTG would supply an alternative timetable using solely the F7s - perhaps with reskinned CRR stock. That already seemed a bit crowbarred in - yes, ATSF had dual-purpose warbonnet F7s and warbonnet F7s in front of freight became more commonplace following 1971, but still. Then I read that you have warbonnet F7s leading freight alongside ES44s in the same timetable using modern stock. That's just hilariously duct-taped together to exploit the popularity of Santa Fe F7s. Say what you will about Diesel Legends, but at least there was no mix of completely illogical rolling stock.

• Like Like x 6
  24. Dinosbacsi

Yep. I can't believe all new trains in TSW are missing headlight flares, when many previous trains in the game used to feature them. Even the very first SPG had them, I believe. Then at some point they forgot about implementing them anymore.

I can't believe noone from the dev team is noticing it? It's so bad that even all promo images have headlight flares photoshopped onto them, but they can't be bothered to actually do it in game...

And while the missing headlight flares are a small visual detail, it's so noticeable that it really makes me not want to get TSW3 and other DLCs that are like this.

• Like Like x 6
  25. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

That comparison is extremely stark. The TSW is in daylight so the affect will be reduced but combined with Matts excited commentary it is just laughable.

In reality in low light you see train headlights long before the train. Even on low powered early diesels.
    With modern trains in the distance you see the lights before you can make out the train even in the daytime depending on the angle.
    In the simulator it’s the complete opposite, with the dim lights popping in at the last minute.

It’s not a massive thing but it would go a long long way to improving the immersion I feel.

• Like Like x 2
  26. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100% about the physics upgrade of this loco. When looking close, dtg started TSW3 with many different version of the dostos and same for the 377 & class 66...., so i dont have anything to say to that. just the consequences of poor and lazy pre planning. We do get to an amount of rolling stock in tsw, which cant be called a small collection anymore, so this problem will get worse not better.

DTG choose to go this path from day one. Self contained dlcs and rolling stock in different routes while having a newest version, old version and medium change version of a train running in 1 Software. DTG seems to choose even the extra big rocks for putting them self into their way. ...

• Like Like x 1
  27. Lamplight

You’ll start noticing a ton of these things when you know what to look for - inconsistencies in what is implemented on different rolling stock. Some locos have climb-up animations, others haven’t. Some locos have controls accessible through the window, others haven’t. Some locos have the head-out view on the arrow keys immediately, for others they’re so somewhere in the rotation. If we started cataloguing this stuff, we could probably come up with a list of DTG’s loco builders and who worked on which loco. It’s a sign of bad communication and bad QA should you ask me.

• Like Like x 6
  28. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Talking of which, some older locos in TSW offered full movement of the cab chair, both in how high you wanted it as well as how near or close you wanted to be to the front desk.

The majority of trains in TSW don’t have this functionality, however, which is really annoying as I often find the default view is both too low down to the ground, as well as too close to the front window. Almost like your face is squashed against it. Why they can’t some consistency in this area is anyones guess.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Considering I'm a big fan of American freight, it's very unfortunate that the very nice-looking Santa Fe F7 is the one that I won't be getting. I get pretty picky when a route gets a bit too unrealistic with the trains running on it. Whether it's the wrong operator or the wrong era, it just bothers me. The first New Journeys pack included a very nice old CSX SD40, but instead of having it run as a neat excursion train or something, it was put on the regular mainline freight trains!

It's a bit frustrating that DTG has repeated the exact same thing, this time with a locomotive I love even more. The Santa Fe F7 should not be treated as a locomotive that runs regular freight trains alongside modern orange BNSF locomotives. It just doesn't feel right.

But besides my disappointment with the F7, the Dispolok 182 should work well as my main for German freight, and the RHTT 66 seems quite neat. At least I can save 2 whole dollars.

• Like Like x 4
  30. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Except that there doesn't exist a US route where the SF F7 would fit- even Clinchfield is too recent. It would have to be pre-1970 (and of course western)

• Like Like x 1
  31. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Depends who makes it :cool:

32. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I saw oscillation.

• Like Like x 1
  33. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Also that the mars light was set on dim i believe so it could be brighter who knows.

34. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

To me, the light was not really visible from any distance, so any movement is a moot point.

Why? would be my question.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  35. Dinosbacsi

Nah, none of the TSW3 trains feature headlight flares, neither do the ones from this pack, so barely anything is visible from the mars light. They really need to get into implementing headlight flares again.

• Like Like x 1
  36. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

As to reflections and performance... one of the first diesel locomotive we have on TSW - the CSX AC4400CW - it is fully detailed as it has:

- Reflection on mirrors
    - Yellow reflectives on the frame side
    - Digital fueltank gauge, with decreasing numbers as you runs.

I remember those, but that locomotive it has some other "realistic" details.

I have PS4, and I have noticed no related performance about it!

As I have mentioned on other post I created, unfortunately DTG has decided to "deform" the shape of the locomotives at front - for example making lights appearing as polygons, instead of round - which really affects the visual of the locomotive, and the driving experience. But with no really performance issue.
    Recently the ICE 1 it is really ugly on some routes as looses design details, but also texture quality
    Incredible this does not happens on busy terminal stations - surrounded by lot of objects.
    It happens during the route. So may be this caused by train speed, not the objects?...

37. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Screen-space reflections cost hardly any performance (because you're slapping something that's already been rendered on-screen to somewhere else on-screen and flipping it around). It's when you try to render things off-camera that the performance drops off a cliff.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  38. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Meh, I'm not against the pack , but I'd rather wait for a new route first.

I don't think the $ amount too high priced right. The trains do look noce as well. Especially the water tank one. And the F7 is the train model I had growing up even the paint job. And I haven't purchased Clinchfield yet as I'm not too interested in freight runs. But I've been fiving it a shot more lately with SPG, Cajon pass, and I bought Sherman Hill. So would be a good way to get the F7.

I think I would be more ezcited if we got a single loco the Thameslink Desiro 700. Since Joe has said he puts in all the times even for trains we don't have, just in case.

It would run on both BML and SEHS and the depot is even modelled at Three Hills for them.

That I would buy in am instant.

This pack I'll wait my kid usually buy me an xbox card for Christmas so perhaps then.

But I don't

39. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

Here is something that bothers me that I haven't seen mentioned much in the thread yet: If I understood Matt & JD correctly, the new locos will not show up in the Training Center outside of their tutorials.

The Training Center is one of the ideas of TSW3 I liked most, because I thought over time it would turn into a kind of interactive museum where you can see all your trains side by side. But then they said the older locos like my beloved BR 101 would not show up there. OK, I thought, then only new rolling stock made for TSW3 will appear. This pack seems to suggest otherwise.

That would mean that the outside of the Training Center will always remain as it is now, even if they'll do something with the rooms inside the building as they have hinted at... or did I get that wrong?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  40. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly I thought once I redownloaded my DLC all my trains would fill them up.

Oh well missed chance for DTG. But not gamebreaking.

41. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

Really? Then what’s the point of the training centre if it’s just for the 3 base route locos? Considering there are a lot of empty track areas.

• Like Like x 3
  42. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It’s a gimmick to detach locos from routes (that’s all locos base route). Helped to sell game to pave way for new loco dlc. There’s supposed to be new content inbound for it though so we’ll see

43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

TSW can’t handle too many different types of vehicles at once, that’s why TC won’t fill up with your entire collection. It shouldn’t be an issue because the routes that trains appear on will always be much better places to use them than TC, which even as a playground is very limited. Fine for ‘how to operate the train controls’ tutorials but not much else.

44. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It's basically a limited visibility garage.

45. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

But they could remove not needed loco's in the training centre during a session when you want to play the additional loco's. The add on manager sounds like the solution for that.

• Like Like x 2
  46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I reckon DTG could come up with some sort of loco randomiser to keep it different each time and have a selection system for which trains you definitely want to appear. That could work.

• Like Like x 4
  47. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

But the regular routes aren't really playgrounds at all. The training center offers the chance to play with the trains in an objectiveless environment.

• Like Like x 2
  48. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would imagine new TC trains would be the ones from new TSW2 routes rather than recycled TSW2 ones. Obviously I could be wrong, but just supposing here

49. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

Just jumped into training centre on foot and unless I missed them, they are not sitting there. I was hoping moving forward the centre would also be a showcase of new locos I have

• Like Like x 1
  50. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

Another note, the training modules for these are exactly the same as previous ones. The Class 66 RHTT is identical. Not even training on the new control panel for the cleaning. Seriously?? I’m actually quite disappointed.

• Like Like x 2