Time For Some New British Content

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Sep 30, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

As the title states, I feel like its been a long time since we got some 'properly' new British DLC for TSW.

By new, I don't necessarily mean 'modern', but I mean something which isn't slightly upgraded or varies slightly from another other model.

*cough* The Electrostar (We have the 375, two versions of the SN 377 and a 387) and Class 66 (which still has no more than two liveries) *cough*

I'd like to see something new put on the table for routes, too. It feels like we just get third rail based, modern commuter routes now. For TSW 3 we didn't even get a 'new' route as such, just an upgraded and extended version of a current TSW route (which is/was extremely questionable in terms of scenery).

Be it modern or slightly older, something like a nice regional route set it Wales, Scotland or Northern England, or the highly requested WCML or ECML, would be a breath of fresh air to TSW. Something which isn't another modern commuter line, would be great.

Of course licensing and references is something which needs to be taken into consideration.

It begs the question as to whether DTG are still short on train artists/modellers, which is preventing them from making anything new?

What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 31
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. weebammo#1823

weebammo#1823 New Member

We should get another Scottish route ie Edinburgh to Glasgow or Edinburgh to Aberdeen or Highland main line or West Highland Line or Fife circle say starting from Markinch via Glenrothes with Thornton to Edinburgh

3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think you are spot on. I know a lot of people want modern stuff but I would like an older mainline electric locomotive, Class 86 or 87 on the WCML, for something different to drive. I don’t know how popular more BR stuff would be though but I wouldn’t mind loads more of it. And every time I see Ed post on the forum I wonder if he is working on a Deltic at all. With the original HST you have a new version of something we already have but the differences would be enough for an ECML with a Deltic and some other suitable stock for that changeover period. There are lots more great ideas in the suggestions from over the years but those are the big two that I always think of.

• Like Like x 10
  4. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Agree something new is needed. Don't want to turn this into a wishlist but the London, Tilbury and Southend would be overdue addition. Especially if set in the class 302, 312 era.
    In any case a new UK route is needed which isn't 3rd rail or a electrostar.

All the 3rd gen EMUs are now being withdrawn and its such a shame that they are not being preserved into digital prosperity such as the class 321.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Love to see another heritage line like Severn Valley Kidderminster to Bridgnorth. Plenty of steam for that.

6. Something busy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree that every UK route feels like third-rail modern commuter - I mean look at how much time and effort went into Spirit of Steam alone to finally get steam trains in TSW! Going back before that, even though third-party, West Cornwall was neither completely a modern setting or third-rail... And, obviously going back further with Rush Hour, while London Commuter is third-rail/modern commuter, it has perhaps the most legendary timetable we'll see for ages so I'd say that was worth having. In terms of SEHS, while I agree a new UK route would of been great for TSW 3, however considering the route was one of the most-played (if not most played?), and with extremely popular loco DLC such as the 465, the route's extension/upgrade seemed a smart move nonetheless. While you might not necessarily agree with me, I do believe some fresher UK content is a must though going forward (but still not forgetting third-rail, modern commuter stuff for those of us who like that too).

• Like Like x 4
  8. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I don’t have an issue with more modern, third rail commuter routes in future, such as West Coastway. However, we need some other content set in other areas of the country first before we return to the Southern region once again.

I like the RHTT stuff in the new add on pack but DTG really should have got another livery for the 66. Like GBRf, both clean and dirty variants rather than the EWS livery again, it would’ve added that little extra value to the pack and more variety to the 66’s that you see running as AI. I don’t count Creator’s Club as an excuse around this, I want officially endorsed liveries.

As for new, original UK content. I want to see a follow-up to Spirit of Steam, be it a locomotive add-on for it or a new steam era route. If a route, then ideally something set on GWR before the formation of BR.

We’re about due some more BR Diesel locomotives at this point too. The last completely new diesel locomotive was the BR Class 20. Released a good two years or so ago! While a Deltic would be nice, I feel that locomotive is worthy of headlining its own ECML based route rather than being a single locomotive add on.

A BR Electric locomotive would be a great direction to head next. WCML Shap - route as it was in TS, upgraded to TSW. BR Class 87, upgraded Class 47 in Large Logo Blue, with the additional future rolling stock DLC being the BR Class 370 APT-P.
    The Class 87’s tap changing mechanic would bring with it a completely unique & challenging driving experience to TSW. Like the TS version, this route should also look to bring neutral sections into TSW.

• Like Like x 7
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about WCML North Carslie Glasgow Central With Class 390 Mix traffic locomotive Class 92 with Caledonian Sleeper Freight Class 70 Mail Class 325

10. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

What's the point. Suggestions don't get listened to. As you said yourself, WCML and ECML are the most highly requested for years, yet where are they?? It'd always new yank freight or some German route. Only British stuff now is reskins for locos we already own. Do DTG even try anymore

• Like Like x 5
  11. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I think maybe the E/WCML routes have too much scope - they're probably reluctant to tackle them because whatever section they do, they'll never please everyone and it'll always be a couple of stations too short to keep people happy.

The Birmingham Cross City route to Bromsgrove and Redditch, however... :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

The Chiltern Mainline would be good, but I guess the distance between London and Birmingham would be too long as that seems to be the excuse used for not doing longer routes.

• Like Like x 3
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with the OP. Regardless of era we need something UK that is totally new in terms of area and motive power. SEHS as the UK route for TSW3 was a considerable disappointment, presumably chosen because it was low hanging fruit close to DTG Towers and for all we know the extended version already existed somewhere on a hard drive anyway.

It would be too easy to turn this into a wishlist, but look no further than the great routes in TSC - South Wales Main Line, North Wales Coast, Marches, various sections of the WCML and ECML. East Anglia, Settle & Carlisle, Port Road plus various other Scottish routes.

As regards SoS, as I’ve posted elsewhere, maybe it wasn’t quite as successful as DTG hoped, which was why we haven’t seen much activity around extra DLC or another steam era - or even better steam/diesel transition - route. It also goes without saying the questionable steam physics in TSW2 are worse in 3 and there seems no sign of any movement on promised features like better manual, or AI for that matter, firing etc. I have a gut feeling SoS, having satisfied Paul Jackson’s ambition to walk round a slightly odd scaled and rather empty Crewe station in 1958 has now quietly been relegated to the fired and forgotten DLC. Which is a shame really, as something like the S&D, Great Central or West Highland with properly implemented steam traction would have been a Day 1 purchase for me.

• Like Like x 10
  14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

12 months since the last new UK electric route from DTG. In that time US has had 3 new routes, & Germany 2. Even if you include SoS we are still behind the US considerably.

• Like Like x 4
  15. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

Chiltern is probably do-able from Birmingham up to Bicester though, which gives you a lot of freight with 66@ & Colas 70’s, the local services with 165’s & 172’s and 168’s, Voyagers & 68’s on the express workings.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

I think the problem DTG has is that it's not just the length of the most popular routes (such as WCML, ECML), but the amount of rolling stock needed to represent a realistic timetable. Most new routes rarely have more than one new item of loco/emu/dmu and we will all complain if the 'essential' motive power is missing. That's why something like Settle-Carlisle would be more acceptable and although it has far less traffic than say WCML or ECML, its rolling stock demands are far less.

• Like Like x 2
  17. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I really hope Just Trains are working on a UK route, something like a portion of the MML for example. However, I've a gut feeling it could be something like the Met Line, which for me isn't particularly interesting, although I could see it being popular.
    But yes, we are missing WCML/ECML/GEML...if we had an editor......sorry, shouldn't mention that word.

• Like Like x 6
  18. OldVern

I also think DTG may be suffering from a lack of route building personnel. In some ways a bit of an own goal as they have had five years to come up with a technical and licensing solution to making a public route editor available. This would have opened up the possibility of freeware routes, encouraged route builders from the other sims to have a go and, frankly is how most payware route builders cut their teeth. But instead they insisted in keeping everything in house, adapted what appears to be a "can't do", negative attitude whenever the subject is broached, so now they pay the price.

My eyesight and neuropathy probably stop me from coming out of retirement to build long routes, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there eager to have a go.

Oops, that's two of us. Well they can't even give us a decent scenario editor when TSW3 would have been the ideal opportunity to integrate SP2.0, assuming it exists outside a DTG exec's wishful thinking of course.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

A long stretch of the WCML (incl 4 track sections for freight/slower lines) with 86/87 traction and the introduction of neutral sections within TSW will be spot on for me.

• Like Like x 9
  20. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

SoS really does need some additions, a shunter like a Jinty and a local passenger loco, something like a 2MT or older steamer; one of tge very early diesels would be nice too - like Metro-Vickers Co-Bo (Class 28 as it became)- wasnt there one at the East Lancs Railway that they visited during SoS development?!

• Like Like x 6
  21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Agree. The game becomes better and better but it is heavily lacking new content at all. BR o7

22. redrev1917

I'm wondering how much is down to licensing, seems like SWR and GBRf both don't want to see their liveries within TSW, I wonder how many others refuse do a deal?

• Like Like x 3
  23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s the dream!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I'm on the list with people requesting more content, but I think the UK is the last of the three we currently "need more of". So far, the UK content has both the only subway train, the most loco DLC, the most route DLC, the route with the biggest timetable, the only steam route, as well as the most "retro" routes and locos.

Both germany and america are lacking most of that.

I get that most people on the forum tend to be from the UK, and wishing for more UK content ist very understandable. I want retro german content for example, as a german.

But I think it's time to "catch up" on german and american content on the points I just mentioned. There is yet to be a single retro german route, which many people on the forum would love to see.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tho, that is just my general opinion on the "We need more of UK" threads and posts that pop up here and there. Right now, after the release of TSW3, I would agree that something completely new UK would be fair, given that SHS wasn't. But on the other hand, the RHTT is new. Does that count...?

And since they claimed last time that they won't do loco DLC because of the limiation of having the own the route first, with the addition of Training Center we will hopefully see an increase in loco DLC.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On a more general note at last tho, completely new content would be very welcomed across the board. There is only so much variation you can do in a train driving game, if only the scenery and gradient changes.

• Like Like x 2
  25. londonmidland

Personally I’d love to see the Hope Valley line, both via Stockport and Romiley, in TSW. After seeing Just Trains’ fantastic attempt at building this line, it’d be great to play it in TSW.

With its wonderful scenic views over the Hope Valley, as well as going through Suburban Manchester, I think it makes a great candidate. Would also love the challenge of hauling heavy freight up the steep gradients, as well as stopping 150s in poor rail conditions, would make a very nice drive indeed.

No need for Rush Hour/busy routes all the time. Sometimes more is less.

• Like Like x 11
  26. londonmidland

Personally I wouldn’t count the RHTT being as a ‘brand new loco bundle’, as per what DTG are marketing it as. The 66 isn’t even new. It simply comes with a weathered version of an existing livery, which arguably should’ve been part of the core game to begin with.

The only thing that’s new here is the RHTT wagon.

• Like Like x 6
  27. Anything new is good in my book.

• Like Like x 3
  28. OldVern

Agree. Also quite a bit of scope for freight, if they got permission to include the short branch to Earles.

Oh and a 142, but I guess this is venturing into "Suggestions" territory.

29. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

The problem with new uk routes is that we get a route but with one loco and minimal services as DTG made the decision not to sub in inaccurate locos.

I would almost rather they finished one of the ‘nearly there’ routes they have; SoS, GWE, Diesel Legends, NTP, Tees Valley or Cathcart. I am also tempted to add SEHS and BML in there as they are both missing a 700

• Like Like x 6
  30. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Lets face it, DTG are lazy and a bit money grabbing as could be explained by their ex-EA staff. I remember DTG saying they were taking a break to fix the bugs in TSW2, remember that? But they went off and did TSW3, no-one asked for it. An then they did an extended SEHS route, why? Because it is easy to do than build a new route. That is why we get so many Loco's of the same or similar model cause they are easier to build than a new build and the excuse from DTG saying 'it is new from the ground up' is just waffle and BS.

It says UK routes but all the ones done so far are in England bar one and apparently that one isn't in the UK it is in Scotland. I think DTG shot themselves in the foot when they decided to do only a third of the GWE. They easily could of done Bristol to Paddington, they said they had time constraints, did they, who put the time constraints on? Even if you believe them why couldn't they have extended it like the SEHS? IMO it is a far more deserving route but then their choice of time era was bizarre to say the least.

I'd like to see the UK represented in game Cardiff - Didcot would get Wales in the game and a Northern Ireland route would also be welcome failing that a route in the North of England somewhere that is far away from London although I'd love the district Line done on the tube, Edgware Road - Wimbledon. But we know deep down DTG will do nothing like that as it would mean they would have to get off their arses. Even if they gave us a few new Loco DLC's to flush out routes that would be good but no we get routes that look like near ghost Towns, SOS being an example but then I think that route and Loco's are a very poor choice.

What we will get is another SEHS like route or another re-shelled Loco as it EASY for DTG, I wish they will prove me wrong but I doubt it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  31. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Against heritage lines as the speed limitations are too boring.
    Sos definitely needs an enhancement pack to recapture the flavour and variety of the period.

• Like Like x 5
  32. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Best thread I have seen with ages and I totally agree that the UK needs more stuff which personally I would prefer to be older (70s, 80s or 90s) but at this point I will take anything British and not modern 3rd rail.

• Like Like x 5
  33. londonmidland

Talking of which, I’ve made a suggestion of it here

• Like Like x 2
  34. andybeae#7947

andybeae#7947 New Member

The 320’s are still going strong on the Argyle line

35. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion, would work v well I reckon.

We know JT are working on something, hopefully it'll be something like this. Not sure why DTG are preventing them from talking about what they are working on, would be nice to know. Also I don't really know why DTG dont talk about their own upcoming routes way in advance, 99% sure they have been working on a UK route for a few months now?

• Like Like x 1
  36. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Search for "Class 313" and "BR 420" on the forums as examples of projects which were announced way in advance, and you'll understand why very quickly. Nobody is gagging JT, they are just busy working and don't have anything they want to share yet as far as I know!

We have tried it various ways now, and the conclusion is - the community generally prefers to find out about things when they're about ready to come out. Anything before that is considered over-hyping or that "its taking soooooo long" etc.

We have many projects on the go (always do). When they're ready to be talked about, they'll be talked about :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  37. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Totally agree with your suggestion Hope valley Sheffield to Manchester is a great length of route for TSW. They already have the 66. a great mixture of freight and passenger

• Like Like x 1
  38. Cloadmcally

Cloadmcally Active Member

I disagree with this sentiment, granted you probably have a more informed opinion on the general feeling of the community but from what I gathered most of the people in this forum preferred the '' Era 2 '' Roadmap, where routes were added with some detail, and apart from the rush hour incident, that concept worked, and made sure that threads like this were redundant. I also understand that from DTG's perspective it's easier to just announce routes via the usual marketing channels, as it avoids aforementioned incidents from happening, but as far as I'm concerned it's a considerable step back from the openness that you guys demonstrated for most of TSW2's run.

• Like Like x 13
  39. londonmidland

It it ever came to TSW I’d probably be driving it non-stop. Great scenery and plenty of challenging gradients to handle. Much more interesting than a flat commuter line in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  40. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I think DTG have to strike a fine balance though and not to wait right until the last minute, as community feedback is vitally important. I always preferred the older roadmaps which were full as it was enjoyable to really look forward to a future DLC that was coming - regardless of how long of waiting.

• Like Like x 9
  41. londonmidland

I agree with the above comments. It seems DTG have gone back to the early days of TSW in regards to announcing routes and/or screenshots.

This in itself presents its own issues as by the time the announcement is made, it is too late for the developers to change anything as release is too close by.

There needs to be a middle ground of them not announcing things too early, but also allow sufficient time for amendments to be made, given any feedback from the community.

I’d also like it if DTG actually takes into account the feedback the community gives them in regards to new routes and/or train DLCs. I know they have own in house beta testers and QA team, however, I believe the feedback given from the community is the most valuable and most accurate for when it comes to things like visuals and/or sounds.

Just look at how Just Trains do it. They post several WIP shots both on Facebook and on their own website, with tonnes of feedback given from the community. The end result is that they listen and their routes end up looking near identical to the real thing. Why can’t DTG do it like that?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  42. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

The way I see it is the announced New Geman Route and New US route on the roadmaps leading to TSW.

They never said new UK route though and I don't think repackaging SOS or the SEHS Extension as new routes.

So my guess the next DTG DLC route will be a UK one.

I don't mind out of London still either. ECML to Peterborough would be nice.

Or the WCML you could even be adventurous now we can have larger routes and make it a network type Euston to Manchester and Liverpool

The Elizabeth line would be cool

• Like Like x 4
  43. OldVern

I hear what Matt says, but to not have even the vaguest mention of an all new (not recycled) UK route or traction DLC on the Roadmap still gives cause for some concern. After all, the German and US routes which ended up in TSW3 were being listed for quite some time prior, IIRC.

And that still leaves the wider issue of opening up some sort of route building kit to the hobby users. That’s the only way many of the routes in the Suggestion forum or from territories other than the Big Three and Little Three currently covered, stand any chance of appearing in TSW.

• Like Like x 7
  44. redrev1917

Matt hinted at something for SoS on the roadmap on the stream in Thursday so I fear we will be waiting longer before

• Like Like x 2
  45. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Have you also listened to the silent majority, or just to the vocal minority? I've been patiently waiting for the Class 313, and am still patiently waiting for the BR232 which I'm really looking forward to.

And the BR420 too, almost forgot about that one.

• Like Like x 6
  46. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Well, although I think there's no shortage of UK content in general, and UK content is more varied than the German stuff we get, I do agree some more variety would indeed be nice.

Personally I'm still hoping for a route I can use my Class 33 DLC on. It's a bit limited. And no, scenario editor just doesn't work for me.

Looking back at my collection in Train Simulator Classic, there's quite a few British locos I'd love to see reappear in TSW, including Classes 73, 76, 86, 91 and that awesome GWR Steam Railmotor VictoryWorks made for TSC.

• Like Like x 7
  47. OldVern

To keep things thriving and dynamic, IMHO DTG should be looking to output at least two all new UK routes a year, plus (now we've seen what can be done with SEHS) upgrade and extend two existing routes - GWE branches and Oxford, TVL to Boulby, NTP to York and/or Liverpool, SoS to Stafford, Preston or Chester - a year also. On top of that at least two traction or stock packs (new, not reskins like the latest effort).

Rinse and repeat for the German and American stuff too.

Until that is done, when deciding to spend a bit of time train simming, it's just too tempting to dive into TSC instead and experience one of the great UK (or German, or US) routes over there instead.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

They haven't actually extended a route yet. They've replaced SEHS with a new version, which required them to release a whole new game, scrap the old one, and put a bigger version in its place. There's still no indication that they've overcome the issues with extending a route where the currently timetabled trains would need to carry on to the extra bits of track. If they do a regular route extension, I think it would need to add in a whole separate set of trains so as not to screw the current trains and the completion status of services therein.

• Like Like x 4
  49. OldVern

Well we don't know exactly how they did it but I don't seriously believe the whole route was rebuilt from scratch. Much of it is as before - the inaccurate terrain data noted by one of the stations, no gradients off the platforms at Stratford. The other possibility is that the longer version already existed from the time of the first release, archived off on a drive somewhere and was dusted off and tarted up for TSW3. The fact also remains that the extended version did get an entire new timetable for TSW3, more of an issue as we've discussed previously is how they might market an extended route to people who own the original and how they maintain support for users who choose not to buy the updated version.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be hurdles to overcome, but that's why they are the multi £million software company and I'm the customer saying I want to drive from Paddington to Oxford or the Marlow branch or from Stafford to Liverpool on SoS and would readily buy a decently extended route.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Thing is if its a couple of routes a year tops per country (The usual 3) and maybe the odd extension and some DLC, that's a severe slowdown. TVL was great as it came out and had 2 DLC follow on. A lot of shouts up for requested routes won't ever happen on this platform. 3rd parties need to be involved but the speed at which routes and DLC is massively slow. These folks wanting the whole WCML need to make their expectations a lot lower and that's just dev time. Licensing is another problem. That though is less so on older traction. Folks who want 390s and 185s (other one handled traction also) may find DTG cannot get through the hoops required. Time will tell on all fronts.

• Like Like x 4