Track Gangs, Platelayers Etc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jetgriff, Oct 4, 2022.

1. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

There I was driving along Great Western at 124 mph when all of a sudden there were track workers all over the adjacent track. Nice surprise, although looking through posts I think they appear randomly, will try and get picture next time, although never seen them before.

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Should get bonus points if you spot them and sound the horn. Tea and biscuits at the next station if you forget…

3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Love the euphemism "Tea and biscuits".
    More refined than a good bollocking :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

IRL wouldn't there be temporary warning signs out and and notice of work for drivers on the route? You wouldn't just find yourself bearing down on a track gang all of a sudden.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

No, track workers can indeed be working on track without TSRs.

That’s why the orange army wear orange to make them visible from a good distance. There would though be a lookout and possibly distant lookout there too.

When I was out on track most drivers would blow up when they were a good distance away and that was before the full orange ruling came in and we only had an orange vest or coat on.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Some high speed routes will have restrictions on "red zone" working, i.e. on the live railway and there is a system called TOWS (Train Operated Warning System) installed in a few locations which gives audible warning of a trains approach. But essentially it is a case of having a safe system of work and keeping a good lookout for approaching trains. In some areas a line blockage of not only the line being worked on but adjacent track too might have to be taken.

7. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

At first i thought "Tea and biscuit" is literally having a nice afternoon tea and biscuit, it is a disciplinary measure instead. LOL :D

8. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

More usually referred to as "tea, no biscuits" to emphasise the disciplinary nature of the interview. :D