Alan Thomson Simulations - An Odd Choice

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Oct 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Hasn't Alan been very critical of TSW on his youtube and twitch channels.

Surely at interview for the role he would have had to explain his open disrespect for the franchise.

Seems to prefer ts development

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 3
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

To quote the emperor Vespasian, "Does this gold smell like piss, boy?"

(That may require some explanation. During his reign, Vespasian imposed a tax on urine, which proved very lucrative for the treasury. When his son Titus objected to the unseemly nature of the tax, Vespasian allegedly held out a gold aureus to him with the above quip.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It does seem a bit odd... Then you have the rather odd subscription based service if you want to buy stuff off the site, though presmably anything for TSW would have to be sold through DTG themselves. And TBH, I never saw ATS as an actual developer more a facilitator for other third parties who chose to release their content through his site, kind of a latter day UKTS (but with payware). AT himself a blogger with his FB page and YouTube channel.

• Like Like x 4
  4. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

It does seems odd, but I welcome it. The more the merrier and to have Alan’s team’s experience and knowledge will be a welcome addition to producing new professional additions to TSW3

• Like Like x 5
  5. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Haha yes indeed this.

The thing is at interview I just dont get how Alan would have covered his tracks.

For example:

Matt: So in regard to twitch stream at x date you said "PC players have been sold a lie in regard to TSW and the development process is too heavily focused on consoles, PC players should stick with TS, I know we will be here at ATS..."

Alan (Sat in his "be the engineer shirt"... freshly ironed):

Well err.. you see .. we here at ATS have seen *checks notes* the way forward and have changed our minds, TSW is most definetly going to overtake the TS market in fact at my next twitch stream I will be telling everyone to hand in their custom built pc with TS in favour of a nice xbox one s running tsw3.... go team!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I might be getting ATS confused with another TSC content creator, but isnt he the one with the questionable policy of basically making his TSC routes unplayable unless you buy his latest add on?

Apologies if I am getting him mixed up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Not sure why people think this odd.

ATS is the ‘brand’ which covers everything Alan does, but it isn’t just him. He is the face of the brand, but they have some very talented people who have built some of the most robust, realistic and detailed content available for TSC. I see them and Just Trains getting involved as a properly big deal, and I hope it provides the shot in the arm (or, more bluntly, the kick up the arse) that TSW needs. If they succeed then could it mean AP make the leap?

I’ve both said and felt this before and ALWAYS been let down, but I feel like there are few signs that DTG may have finally got the many messages the player base have been feeding back to them. The truth is that as good a platform as TSC has been over the years it is in decline. TSW is the future, and it’s in everyone who enjoys trains simming’s interests that it gets better and better. ATS getting involved is only ever a good thing, as is the case with Just Trains. They also have some really very talented people working for them who have transformed the quality of their output over the last couple of years.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 16
  8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I don't see this as being a deal breaker, quite the opposite.

"I think TSW in its current state sucks"

"Okay, put your money where your mouth is, and you try it"

• Like Like x 3
  9. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I'm pleased more teams are getting involved in creating more content, ATS have put out some great routes for TSC.
    If we can't have an editor, the next best thing for more content is this. Good news, imo.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yes Alan has been vocal in his criticism of DTG, TSW and TSC as well, but what he has done is gathered a creative group of enthusiasts who put out semi decent content with some decent hardware stuff too
    I won't be expecting anything fault free from ATS but then I haven't played their TSC content in a couple of years so maybe they've improved

As others have said the more people we can get developing TSW content the more TSW content we have to play with and that can only be a good thing (even if there are things broken or mangled in the process)

I do find it funny someone might suggest DTG interview their prospective 3rd parties (and let's not forget 3rd parties are independent, 2nd party are contractors). Even if Alan WAS to be interviewed and pointed out the failures of DTG with TSW over the years, how on earth would they counter his arguments when they have a forum full of people saying exactly the same things?

• Like Like x 7
  11. New developer, what's the problem with that? I welcome new developers, besides everyone has had something bad to say about dtg on this forum over the years.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing what's cooking.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

DTG didn’t choose ATS for TSW development, ATS chose to develop for TSW and as they have a track record of making good content for TSC they fit the criteria that DTG require from their 3rd party developers. It’s not odd, and not entirely surprising either. If developing for train simulators is what your company does then moving to TSW is the only real option to keep the income coming in. All the bigger names will do it sooner or later and those that let personal feelings about DTG get in the way will miss out and fade away.

• Like Like x 10
  14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is certainly a welcome development in that it is another provider getting on board. However with Just Trains presumably making modern day routes, and ATS also presumably making modern day routes I can't see much hope in the future that we will get much in the way of backdated DLC, especially from the steam period. Unless DTG produce more for that end of the market.

I certainly didn't see this coming, he doesn't seem a big fan of TSW or DTG from what I have seen. His site has some good stuff on there and they have published some very nice routes, again all modern day though.

It seems TSC will remain the best or only place to run steam for the foreseeable future as DTG do not seem in a hurry to develop any more of it.

• Like Like x 4
  15. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

I'd love to see Armstrong Powerhouse Wherry Line route come to TSW3. And Alan Thomson SIM are making a FLIRT train which would be perfect for a updated version. I can only hope..........

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I'm very happy and interested to see that AT has joined with DTG on developing content for TSW. AT combined with Armstrong Powerhouse sounds has potential to delivery some very good content in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Look at AT’s early vids about TSW. He was gushing about it, even though it ran like a complete slideshow on his PC. He then, as many of us did, got increasingly frustrated at some of the lack-lustre content that was coming out. Once ATS got going it was important for them to big up TSC, they’re a business after all and that was their income. Time has moved on and things change, as do people’s opinions, and the game itself is a different beast to just 3 years ago, never mind 5.

ATS’s content for TSC has been top drawer IMHO and they, just like us, enjoy a bit of train simming. Them being on board with TSW is great news….I hope they can bring the same variety and attention to detail to this game that they’ve brought to TSC.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Honestly I'm surprised we didn't get a announcement about Bossman Games doing something for TSW. They did supply the models for SoS, them making a model independently for TSW at some point doesn't seem far fetched.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

TSC has to be getting close to end of shelf life now. ATS has to see that coming. In another 10 years it will look like MSTS does now if DTG keep improving the TSW graphics.

• Like Like x 3
  20. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people here don’t follow Alan that much… yes he has said many times that TSW has major flaws and has definitely hurled hatred at it a few times. But he has said himself he was happy with Train Sim World 3 and says he has been playing it semi-regularly. He has an amazing team of developers that push out very good quality content for TS Classic, so I think people should be happy about them joining TSW and wait to see what they do before hurling abuse around.

• Like Like x 8
  21. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Very likely but it isn't just about graphics and I would say the best TSC routes look a lot better now than the best MSTS routes did when that simulator had passed its first decade.

TSC might lack timetable mode but there is still so much more you can do in it and mould it to how you want to use it. For example I was pottering up and down the Middleton in Teesdale branch in a old NER tank engine in freeroam mode last night. Just shunting and working a pick up goods without being told where I had to go and what time I had to do it. Will we ever be able to drive a obscure Victorian tank loco and be able to drive a train in such a freeroam mode, for example in TSW, they way it is looking I would say unlikely. They released WCML South, I don't particularly want to drive Pendolinos on there so I can drive my AC electrics on it, will we ever get the same choice in TSW and I don't mean with the very restrictive scenario planner.

There is no doubt TSW is a good product and will get better but it has flaws and too many restrictions.

Look at the amount of freeware being made for TSC, Golden Age developments for example, will we ever see the likes of that in TSW. As a side note I would definately sit up and take notice if they and Steam Sounds Supreme and Bossmans games and Victory Works announced they were going to develop for TSW.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  22. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I absolutely welcome ATS onboard, as said before there was a dearth of third parties and now we have quite a few people. It maybe linked to something DTG have done about improving the 3rd party support - maybe Adam's team is playing a big role here.

The change in name of TS 20xx to TSC however is the elephant in the room. Does this mean no more annual updates? It does seem like the first part of the process of winding down although there is still more content being released for TSC than TSW, but as said if TSW is still doing core work the gap will only increase.

There is a sense that finally, on the 3rd iteration we have some real traction in the franchise and the enlargement of the content pipeline.

In response to the Steam or lack thereof, it is interesting that DTG roadmap actually said 3rd parties are concentrating on Diesel and Electric and I got a hidden meaning from that - DTG will be doing the steam for now. I think this is tied into the ongoing core work on the steam simulation which is still very much a WIP, and of course the manual fireman - its unlikely 3rd parties are going to be encouraged to engage with steam until the core functions are there and available for them to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  23. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I always got the impression that AT wanted to like TSW, even if he'd criticised it in the past. Like many of us he likes train sims and if he thinks he can do something good (together with others), I'm looking forwards to seeing what the result is.

• Like Like x 4
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Maybe he was assigned to the suicide squad. HighFidelity addons? What a perfect revenge :D

25. OldVern

My concern too. One of the things that’s drawn me back into TSC of late is the great period stuff, not just steam but diesel too.

Surely there’s also a bit of a conflict of interest for the guy too now, as he cannot host an impartial review site/FB/YT and at the same time make money out of content created by his own cadre of people? i.e. bad mouth one product while promoting your own line.

• Like Like x 2
  26. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

And what route would the ATs flirt run on in TSW 3 ??

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Don’t really like the fella, slated SEHS in his “first look” video, for which his opinions are his own for it to become one of TSW2’s most played routes. Shows what he knows and should keep his opinions to himself. I’m all for as much content as possible though and I’ve read that his company produce decent stuff. Don’t know if I can spend my money on the person though.

• Like Like x 5
  28. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

We have at AP sounds in a few trains already so it would not be new

29. ARuscoe

This shows a lack of understanding in how TSW and TSC work.

Alan has been critical of the assets, routes, timetables etc that DTG produce. The base game has no content in TSC (and even TSW the "base routes" are essentially DLC you can't buy separately) so Alan saying DTG produce bad DLC is a criticism I can handle.
    That he then goes onto produce (or put his name to) DLC which are better in some ways (along with their own faults) is neither here nor there for me

I will reserve judgement on their skills and output for TSW until I see it. What he says with regards to DTG DLC is pretty much valid

• Like Like x 5
  30. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Yet you completely avoided my points. I rest my case

31. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I don't see the issue. Yes Alan has badmouthed TSW and DTG in the past...but so have just about everyone in these forums...yet we continue to buy their products. So why is it odd for ATS to complain about TSW but then sign on to make money by developing for it, but it's not odd for all of us to complain about TSW but then continue to spend money buying stuff for it?

• Like Like x 4
  32. ARuscoe

I've "slated" the route. Wrote a whole post about how it's too flat in many areas including Hoo Junction yard, Higham tunnel entrance (western end), Swanscombe station, Northfleet (I could go on)
    Is my opinion invalid, even though it's entirely accurate?

Just because a lot of people drive a route, or play it for a longer time than other routes doesn't mean it's a good route. It could be it's the only up to date UK route which doesn't have major red light issues. It could be that people like the route and don't know how many issues there are with it, or think the horn on the 66 is realistic (it's not) or that the 375 doesn't make noises when braking (it does)

Either way people are entitled to their opinion and entitled to voice it, as well as putting their reputation (and money) where their mouth is and actually put time, effort and energy into making something better than what they're having a go at...

• Like Like x 3
  33. ARuscoe

You never made a case. Alan talks about DLC and issues with it. If he's producing different DLC and wants people to buy that how is that fitting with "your case"?

• Like Like x 1
  34. There's gonna be plenty of time to complain about it after it's released, so why start now?

• Like Like x 2
  35. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I presume any contract with DTG includes a non-disparagement clause, so I would expect him to stop reviewing DTG-published DLC altogether.

• Like Like x 1
  36. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

What Allan Thompson the Rivet Games founder can do is the Glasgow Subway for TSW 3 both ATO & Manual. Another route he made was WCML Trent Valley for TSC which might be their first TSW 3 route

37. OldVern

We don't think it's the same guy. "ATS" came out of Alan Thomson's Facebook page as a blogger and reviewer of train sim products and then a distributor of content with what some consider a questionable business policy (subscriptions). Thomson Interactive was the forerunner of Rivet Games and I believe was a spin off from Kuju Entertainment's outbased office in Scotland. Ne'er the twain shall meet.

However I think a lot of people will be watching ATS review and opinion output now with a very fine toothcomb, lest the bearded one starts bad mouthing other DLC, now he is commercially hooked up to DTG. In fact I would have thought a stipulation of getting a working agreement would not only be a NDA, but to cease and desist from any further commentary - good or bad - directly connected to DTG business.

• Like Like x 3
  38. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

The FLIRT 745 runs on the Wherry Lines, if (a big if) they made a TSW3 version of this Norfolk/Suffolk route (Norwich to Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft).

• Like Like x 1
  39. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Just had a look on his website, has some interesting peripherals that would come in very handy if TSW ever went full VR

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

I doubt this is the case. Most likely they've learned from the past where people they gave content to started telling others not to buy their products, but even "approved content creators" have been known to question certain decisions and whether things are realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  41. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Ts20xx was switched to tsc to make it easier. Cuz the number would just increase every year, making it pointless and gets hard to keep track eventually. Tsc will still receive content and yearly updates, just that the name is tsc and stays that way instead of just doing tsxxxx until eternity

42. ARuscoe

The main reason to "keep track" would be if you were trying to get a specific software bundle that was with a specific year's release. Other than that as soon as you connect to steam it tries to update the game to the latest version anyway
    Only reason I can think of to do this is to get the branded Virgin stuff which came with one of the old years (I think 2016 or 17)

43. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I've seen ambassadors some DTG give fair criticism of certain routes/locos and remain as Ambassadors. I don't see why a content producer wouldn't be able to do the same.
    The thing I can't get my head around is that ATS has slated the physics of simugraph & TSW across the board which is a core issues and not something he's going to be change?

• Like Like x 1
  44. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I don't really follow any of the third-party drama but more content creators for TSW3 is only a good thing IMO.

The content they create will speak for itself and i'll make my purchase decisions based on that.

• Like Like x 6
  45. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

you do release that is a different one to the one who has the partnership. It is the one who is a streamer on YouTube and twitch who has the partnership

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  46. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

I guess this is your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Personally I haven’t faced the red light issues in any German or UK route. You forgot the point though that maybe people play it most as it is a good route and that people enjoy it and that’s why it is, or was, the most often played route, regardless of issues. Just because a few people choose not to like something, doesn’t make it a bad route, clearly, or people wouldn’t play it.

47. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Normally companies treat people they give promotional stuff to and people they have contracted to make stuff for them very differently.
    Also surely you can get Simugraph to produce whatever outputs from whatever inputs you want?

48. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

People on these forums: We want more third parties to develop for TSW.

*one gets added that has provided great content for TSC*

Those same people: eww no not HIM why would DTG do such a thing???

This fanbase is hilarious sometimes.

• Like Like x 14
  49. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I haven't watched alot of AT's streams/videos...but from the ones I have seen, his criticism always came across to me as constructive and backed up with solid reasoning. I don't know why somebody like him would be blacklisted...DTG have always said they appreciate feedback both positive and negative. From AT's point of view, I got the impression he would jump at the chance of making TSW a better product and he has.

I haven't played any of his content for TSC...but it's obvious his team have put out alot of acclaimed content. This can only be a good thing for TSW

• Like Like x 6
  50. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

in all fairness and I stand to be corrected on this but AT does not actually do any of the development himself he has a “team” if that is the correct word that do the work for him and he is the face behind it all when it is hosted.
    I stand to be corrected but that is my understanding of things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.