Headsway Feels Unrealistic In Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Does any one else feel that the headsway effect in TSW just doesn’t feel very realistic?

To me, it feels very restrictive, whilst simultaneously feeling very aggressive. It’s almost like it can give you whiplash at times. I often find there’s very little movement, to a sudden horizontal jolt when going round corners or crossing tracks.

There is ZERO vertical movement, with it feeling like you are glued to the seat. In other words, it feels like you are tired to the chair with you only being able to move your head slightly forward and side to side. In real life your head would be bopping up and down all the time whilst simultaneously subtly be moving side to side and back and forward.

In TSW it feels like you can only either move forward or side to side at any one time, not simultaneously.

I’m aware you can adjust the value of the headsway settings and even disable it, but this doesn’t fix something which I think is, personally, quite flawed.

I find it’s much more realistic feeling in TSC.

***UPDATED HEAD SWAY SETTINGS BELOW***

Go to engine.ini and add:
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Z=1
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Z=7

Then go into TSW 3 in-game settings and turn down Camera Motion Sway Level to 75%

It adds a very subtle but realistic head bob (up and down motion which is completely missing by default) to TSW 3.

Its most noticeable at high speed. Let me know what you think of it!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  2. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Yes, it feels a bit twitchy. Head sway in Run8 and Diesel Railcar Sim feel better, imo.

3. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the post directly, but the English language can be interesting. When I first looked at the title, I thought it said "heads way" not "head sway"

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The forward and backwards movement can sometimes be a bit much but I think it is fine how it is. I have it set to 122% (strangely specific) and I think it is the right level and amount of movement for me. Prior to the feature being introduced I was convinced I wouldn’t like it due to seeing implementations of head sway in other simulators in videos but when it came to TSW I was happy to find that it was better than what I had seen and really liked it. I wouldn’t want DTG tinkering with it to be honest in case they went too far and made it worse. I certainly wouldn’t want them to do to the camera what actually happens to the human head during travel, that would be monumentally distracting in the game.

5. I was driving the jubilee last night and I was wondering if my avatar should be wearing a crash helmet.

• Like Like x 4
  6. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

I remember when GWE had ridiculous head sway - don't know if it is fixed in TSW3 but I think I read somewhere that it was. I agree with Stujoy, however. It isn't that I think DTG are incompetent, but even the best and most well-intentioned programmers and engineers can make a right hash of things when trying to repair them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I think it's up to the track unevennes settings. Some routes have much more realistic head sway feel to them. As you have said as well, most routes lack vertical movement in this regard, but SPG for example have a pretty realistic feel to it, if I remember correctly. So do a few other US routes, I suppose ones that "copied" the track unevenness from SPG's tracks.

8. londonmidland

Guys, I think I've found the perfect head sway combo (PC only)

Go to engine.ini and add:
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Z=1
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Z=7

Then go into TSW 3 in-game settings and turn down Camera Motion Sway Level to 75%

It adds a very subtle but realistic head bob (up and down motion which is completely missing by default) to TSW 3.

Its most noticeable at high speed. Let me know what you think of it!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  9. Betjoin

Betjoin Well-Known Member

Do i add this under SystemSettings?

10. londonmidland

Yes, that's right.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Its especially bad on older routes with a messed up or buggy "roughness" of the track like Main Spessart Bahn. Feels like on a bad roller coaster. Sadly i dont think DTG will ever fix the older routes.

12. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I tested on the high speed line. It's good!
    But on the others, like London, I set the setting to 70.
    Ideally, there should be one setting for high speeds, and another for others.
    Anyway, thank you Londonmidland. I love everything you do for the game. :love:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. londonmidland

I've also changed the setting from 50% to 75% as I feel it gives it a bit more of an effect.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SGTDRE

SGTDRE Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, being new to all the settings with UE engine based game is learning experience for me, and trying to understand the values.
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Y=200.0 = very little to zero sway or way to much sway? As londonmidland posted in the OP, those values bring it down to a not neck breaking sway?
    I'm asking here because searching the internet has yielded nothing useful.

15. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

From what I remember the cab sway is actually the camera (you) being fixed in position and the train moving around you on the track.

16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The only traction IMHO where the sway is overdone is on the steam locos. The Jubilee in particular feels like it’s got a top heavy wobble and in imminent danger of toppling off the rails.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

I tried these new settings and umm yeah on SEHS when you're going up or down a slope on HS1 you tend to get slowly get lifted into the cab roof or pushed to the floor lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Doesn't look good, ouch ;) I think the default values are okay, sticking with them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SGTDRE

SGTDRE Well-Known Member

I do understand that part, it's the values that I'm trying to understand, the lower the number value say 100 gives more sway or less, or say 200 in my prior post gives less sway, I just have not found anything online that I can read or study.

20. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Try going over some points or around a bend too fast with 200% cab sway... You'll almost get launched out the cab lol

21. SGTDRE

SGTDRE Well-Known Member

My apologies, I should have added more context to my OP, I was in a big hurry I needed to get some work done on my PC, and due to warranty issues and just getting it upgraded, I posted too quickly and I should not have, I was in the middle of disconnecting it to get to the shop and back home to get it all hooked up. (gonna be paying this off 4A year)
    I wanted to try these ini settings from Jetwash again,

And no not looking to get launched from the train :))
    I also really like the settings that londonmidland has put together, so I did a bit of editing of all the settings and poking around in the dark, would like to have a better understanding of how the values work. Either way, I am thankful to the mod authors for what they do. :) 20230517181625769526.png

But I also want to give the ini settings from Mabitze a try "LetYourPCBurn"
    In the one section of the ini settings it has the values listed below, and I was just brainstorming on a mashup of sorts with the two different settings
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.EnableUprightCompensation=0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Y=200.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Z=200.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Y=40
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Z=5.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.SittingPivotOffset=-200
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.X=50