Ts19 On Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexHud13, Oct 26, 2018.

1. AlexHud13

AlexHud13 New Member

Will TS19 work as good on a gaming laptop or will it be better on a gaming pc

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

You will always get more for your money with a desktop machine than a laptop and, since you don't mention any spec's, it's impossible to say much else not that I'd claim any authority in the matter anyway. Just my personal experience: I have TS on a laptop with an i5 2.4GHz and middling Radeon GPU which I can't be specific about because the system's at the vets with a cooling problem. It has Windows 7 so must be at least six years old (I got it second hand) but it runs TS nicely enough for me.

3. Packers525

Packers525 Member

I have an ASUS Laptop computer Core I5 2.3Ghz and 8 Go RAM coupled with an Nvidia GeForce GTX960M and the game in 64 bit runs smoothly.

4. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

A gaming desk top will always out rank a laptop . All those items that have to be made so very small to fit in a thin sleeve will have to give up a lot of hardware to make them fit. There is a good reason why desk top GPU gaming cards are so big and its not just to make you think you are getting something chunky for your hundreds of pounds.
    Simulators are not made for laptops and not recommended or supported by the producers for a very good reason. The hardware may very well run it but not fully as intended.
    Go to any decent computer shop with professional tech staff and tell them you want to run simulators and you'll hear "Ahhh, gonna need the good heavy gear for that".
    Most of the crashes and dumps you read of on the forums are from people trying to run a high needs game from a low spec laptop.
    Defo go get a desktop and enjoy this sim as it was made to be played with all the whistles and bells ringing.

5. Vanhalen1

Vanhalen1 Member

I'm using a Omen gaming laptop... and I love it no issues...

6. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have run TS 201X very successfully on several different gaming laptops - the lowest discrete GPU was a nvidia 970M. - now have a Nvidia 1080 in the beast I carry and all runs well.

7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I suggest you switch to decaffe.

8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Do you have anything worthwhile to say or are you trolling?

9. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

I assume by the way you have pounced on this person that you know who they are in the real world and the two of you hold some sort of grudge between yourselves. I see no evidence of trolling, unless a post has been edited or deleted.
    I'm a little baffled by your posts Mr Cat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

linacruise left a lot of posts on other threads that same morning, all complete rubbish or taking the P out of other posters. I note that their other posts are now deleted. That is why I'm suggesting that that person was trolling.

Also I have no RW knowledge of that person.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  11. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I run TS19 quite happily on a laptop (i5-6300HQ, 8GB DDR4-2133, NVidia GeForce GTX 950M) running Win10x64 when travelling. I do also have a desktop when at home which is more powerful but not really portable.

12. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

On the various pages on Steam for each DLC item it states in the PC/laptop requirements at the foot of the product description -

Graphics:
    Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported.

This information may or may not affect your decision to play the game on a laptop just in case you have any technical problems in future, which I thought you should be aware of before making any commitment.

As has already been stated, you can play the game on a laptop, I started out in 2007 on the Kuju Rail Simulator, on one, but, for power and graphics and the ability to tweak settings and obtain spare parts and fit them yourself, personally, I think a proper gaming computer is better. It depends on your budget, some gaming laptops can be up to several thousands of pounds it all hinges on how much you want to spend, of course. I enjoyed a laptop as it has a battery which is brilliant if you ever have a power cut at home, and they can be taken outside the house, into the garden, into the greenhouse, garage, potting shed, or, even on a bus/train/aeroplane/boat/even in the car (as long as you aren't the driver), they are very mobile, you can't do that with a desktop PC!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The main reason for this is power throttling for battery life and heat reduction. Many laptops are set up to preserve battery life and this generally means making things work less hard to not eat ass much power.
    When trying to run top notch graphics at a high framerate, this throttling would cause issues, and DTG can't support them

Doesn't mean TS1 won't on those platforms, just there may be (will be) certain dispensations that have to be allowed for

14. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

I don't have a gaming laptop but TS2019 64 bit runs fine I just need to tweak the settings between graphics and gameplay speed.
    I've never had a desktop at home, and would get very bored being on one solely so laptops are perfect for games that allow me to watch TV at the same time.
    PS TSW Does not run well on it.

15. ARuscoe

Most desktop PCs have dual or triple graphics outputs. I have 2 27" monitors on my desktop so whilst I'm bowling along on a string of greens I can have anything I want on the other screen, from forums to netflix or iPlayer.

16. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

I prefer a proper telly in a room where I can also talk to real life people in it. Laptop on arm of chair, Football on TV or whatever the others want to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ARuscoe

Call me old fashioned but if I'm talking to people I wouldn't be playing a one person game like train simulator. I would also lose focus and miss speed limits and so on so I'd be damned both ways

18. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Ah ha, I see, and how long exactly have you been "talking" to these real live people inside your TV?....
    Do these people talk back to you?.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

I always talk to people in my game, I supervise accordingly and tell folks off when they aren't doing the job properly, signalman get the majority of my wrath, especially, when they put me into a loop and I have to wait for a passenger train to overtake, who do these train people think they are? I also wave to other loco drivers and ground maintenance workers as I'm going along, it breaks the boredom, makes the game a bit more realistic, I'm sure I'm not the only one who talks and gives hand gestures whilst playing this Simulator.....:D

20. ARuscoe

Erm... Hope you enjoy the padded room and that special white jacket there... :D

21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Always check the required game specs. Single core performance ABOVE 3,6 ghz is recommended.

22. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

I have a hp omen cb1521 and it has played everygame i have thrown at it with ease it has i7,512ssd +1tb hdd and rtx 2060 with 17" 144hz screen.

23. jimssmith11

jimssmith11 New Member

[removed by Protagonist - this isn't eBay]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2022
  24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Before you join a forum with a mission to sell something, perhaps familiarize yourself with the minimum specs for the game. No amount of cores on a cpu will make TS run well, if the single core prrformance is 2ghz. TS is a single threaded game, and the minimum single core performance requirement is 3,6hgz.

Anyway, sales spam post reported.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2022