Speeding But Not Speeding

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bravo2six, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

Hello all.

Has anyone noticed that since the TSW3 update launched, that the points score for speeding seems very sensitive? I've noticed alot lately that i've picked up penalties for going over the limit, when the dial hasn't gone yellow and I've not crossed over the actual limit.

Is there an option for a decimal speed like TSC had (or has, haven't played in ages), as I get a little frustraited when I try my best not to speed and my indications say I'm good, but the game seems to think otherwise?

• Like Like x 1
  2. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

I've definitely noticed that you can think you're on the speed limit but actually be slightly above it, even though the UI element stays white instead of turning yellow - yet you can still only get 15 points for that section instead of 30. It could do with a bit of tightening up.

• Like Like x 2
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The problem is with the HUD programming. It doesn't match the game's internal calculations! If you watch the in-cab speedo (if digital) and the HUD together, you'll see that the cab speed integer-izes by conventional round-down/round-up: it changes from, say, 30 to 31 at 30.5. But the HUD doesn't do it that way- it will read 30 all the way up to 30.9 before finally changing at 31 exactly, and turn yellow at that point if 30 is the speed limit.

However, the speeding/scoring system is cued to the in-game transition. This is a fundamental bit of sloppy programming design which TSW has had from the beginning.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This has actually been present since the beginning of TSW. The break point for where you get dinged that 15 points is 0.5 above the listed speed and the HuD speed dial will not go yellow at that point, but once it reaches 1 unit above the listed speed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

At least unlike TSC you don't see your score rapidly decrease to a minus value!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

This is very true, I hated that part of TSC and meant I so rarely played career mode

• Like Like x 3
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

There is an option to turn off the scoring completely so you get a checkmark instead of an award

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You have to go all the way back to TSW2020 for the behaviour of the yellow HUD indication and the points deduction to occur at the same speed. It was changed when LZB was introduced in TSW2 probably because LZB uses the yellow HUD indication to show that you need to slow down further to get to the target speed but was it not programmed to occur at the same speed so now the yellow indication for speeding is useless as changes far too late. Two years on from this first being reported and it is still the same.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I was driving one the other day and there was 3 speed indicators, 2 in the cab and the hud and all 3 showing different speeds.

10. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Best thing you can do is turn the score off and never, ever, look at it again. Same for trophies.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Not being concerned with points, trophies, achievements and cuddly toy collections is the key to my enjoyment of the game.

I try to drive correctly, as I imagine a real life driver would, setting up the train, obeying signals and speed limits and arriving on time. But I'm not obsessed by these things. If I exceed the speed limit, stop short or long and arrive early or late, my world doesn't collapse and I don't feel the need for a do-over.

It's kind of counterintuitive because in my real life I'm something of a completionist. But the game for me is for relaxing those rules. It's not a competition.

I know a lot of folks feel the need to get that perfect 10/10. And, if that floats your boat, that's fine. I suspect that they're the same people who can afford to spend many hours playing. I have limited playing opportunities, so I just want to drive undistracted by the search for the holy grail.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Man, you giving me PTSD just making me think about it. LMAO!

• Like Like x 1
  13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

As someone who has absolutely no interest in points, rewards, & etc., I'll have to look for that setting. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  14. tof70110

tof70110 Member

Ah yeah it was terrible to see his points counter emptying at an astonishing speed to arrive at a generous negative score, lol

15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The problem is, TSC the penalties for infractions are too severe, in TSW too lenient.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tof70110

tof70110 Member

That's right, all or nothing!!! lol

17. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

You can turn off scoring and you won't get penalized at all. After you finish the scenario, you just get a green checkmark instead of a score

18. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

This is the principle reason I pay zero attention to scores and medals on my TSW3 runs. I can be very lazy and drive too fast, overshoot a stop marker or two and arrive minutes late at my destination and still get teacher's gold star.
    Something's seriously wrong with that.

• Like Like x 1