Lack Of Tsw Streams From Dtg

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mr JMB, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Ever since the TSW3 initial preview streams, most of which were cancelled due to performance issues, there has been a significant lack of DTG TSW streams. Last week there was nothing, next week there is an ambassador on their own channel. Looking back through the TSW youtube channel there is a clear drop in activity and in particular live streams where interaction can take place. This isn't helped by hiving off the TSC streams to another channel which means that community had to start over, if they even noticed the new channel.

I thought there was a delay while people got suitable equipment so they could stream in good order, or that future streams would be done from DTG HQ. However it seems there has been a clear step down in terms of volume and variety of streams such as 4 up challenges, let's play, route previews, Q&A, release streams etc. We get one stream when there is a new pack and that is it.

Along with the now monthly roadmaps the communication quality and quantity between DTG and the playerbase has taken a fairly sizeable hit.

Thoughts? Does it matter, what effect if any is it having? Are there any plans for a resumption of activity?

• Like Like x 10
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

To be frank, when Matt, Sam or Jd are on stream I make sure I'm there watching. I honestly couldn't give two hoots about tsc or affiliates streaming.
    Not bothered about randoms opinions, I'd rather watch, enjoy and engage with those I love watching who are in the know

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  3. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

Funny, I just noticed the exact same thing, when a message was posted in the fan group, Train Sim World Community, on Facebook. Is there a shift in how DTG is handling the audience/community, guys?

4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Dtg probably have a million other things to do. Also them streaming means they have to stay late at the office with how streaming from home streaming caused problems. So they won't do it as often. Mostly for releases and stuff like that

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I don't really think communication has taken a hit. Yes, there are fewer streams, but JD and Alex have been a lot more active in the Forums - I'd rather have that daily interaction than a stream to be honest. I'm pretty much in agreement with Cheiflongshin. When Sam, Matt, Adam and JD are on it can be interesting. Sometimes I'll watch Jamie, when it's something he's enthusiastic about, it really shows, but too often it's just in jokes between him and the Mods, which is pretty boring. I liked the livery designer streams that both Nat and Cat have done and my favourite the 4 up challenges. I'm not interested at all in other creators. There is only one that I really like and I follow his channel anyway.

During Lockdowns we had streams pretty much every night which was great when we all had nothing better to do. But people have other things to do now and can have lives again, so it was never going to continue like that.

I do agree that splitting the channels hasn't really helped. I don't see the sense in that. Probably a lot of us just like trains so it was easier to find it all in one place.

6. Dtg have been quiet lately. I'm hoping it's because they are busy fixing things and working on new content.

• Like Like x 1
  7. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself ;o)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The streams were a by-product of the covid lockdowns.

People here that were around pre-covid will recall streams only occurred for roadmaps and DLC previews.

I think we are just seeing DTG return to a pre-covid format

9. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

It's a good thing there are less streams. Who's got time for all that? When I picked up TSW it was full lockdown and it wasn't weird game companies were streaming on a daily basis. But today it's weird to have streams on a daily basis when you have nothing new to tell.

I like the new image DTG is creating for TSW. More pre recorded stuff, I liked the presentation of How to drive the ... train video's. Streams were good during covid but they looked kinda nerdy what made the game look nerdy.

And you must admit that when a route was launched with lots of bugs you were all thinking "You got time to stream but not to fix bugs? outrageous!" :D

• Like Like x 3
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As I just said in another thread, I rarely watch the streams. Nothing more irritating watching the presenters bounce up and down, pink headphones galore about the latest and greatest, while the massive trail of unresolved bugs (on the previous releases streamed with great bounce) are ignored.

• Like Like x 4
  11. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

More bug fixes, less streams. Im fine with that. Especially if they can improve the stuttering and performance.

Actually, maybe a stream where they exclusively talk about which bugs they are currently fixing and when the fix will be released would be a good idea. Certainly more interesting then the newest DLC

• Like Like x 2
  12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I too would like to see something around all the bugs.....I would like to a quick 2 min update on ps5 dlc and save game rather than another 30 min on it. I'm more Interested in how people with £4K pcs get stuttering and some assistance hoe to improve rail shadows.

I think DTG should be brave and release a thread with how to use ini settings and show the difference but caveating the risk of doing so. It would be good to see them show what can be done when they're not dressing up 9 platforms

• Like Like x 1
  13. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Stuttering and Performance are clearly a major issue.

14. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Yeah but what about the streams ;)

15. I think the stuttering isn't on the list. It's been 4 years now. Most developers would be on top of it before release.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be great if they did that. If they done it monthly as per roadmaps with a 2week gap between the two, so we'd have a good stream to look forward to every 2wks.

17. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

As regards stuttering, Digital Foundry, who review in great detail both hardware and software, including the ability of game engines, have a running theme about Unreal4’s stuttering, it is constantly referred to. I dont think DTG will resolve the issue, its an engine issue, that presumably Epic have hopefully eliminated in Unreal5 and we will see in TSW 9 ;-)

Here’s a quote from DF’s blog:
    “Typically, this stutter is caused by shader compilation - the process whereby GPU code is compiled on the fly during gameplay - and seems to be particularly bothersome on Unreal Engine titles.

Why compile on the fly - and why doesn't the same issue impact consoles? The two questions are interlinked: shader code can be pre-compiled on consoles as they're fixed platforms and the data is included on the disc or in your download - things are trickier for PC because every GPU and driver revision requires a new round of compiled shaders. Adding to the problem - and perhaps explaining why code makes it to the end-user with so many issues - is the fact that once shaders have been compiled on PC, they're cached to disk and re-used when needed without re-compilation. Revisiting the same area again should result in smooth gameplay, leading many (possibly QA too?) to think that the problem is solved. The amount of replies we get about this issue ("the latest patch fixed it" or "smooth for me now" etc) doesn't change the fact that first contact with any non-compiled shader will cause the issue.”

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

This issue does impact consoles so DTG must be doing something wrong

• Like Like x 2
  19. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The massive stuttering needs to be fixed soon. It is massively impacting the game in a negative way.

What about no new DLC and the whole team works on fixing the stuttering and performance issues?

20. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

This. The stuttering / performance issues are as bad on console (PS5 here) - so....?

• Like Like x 1
  21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

How about no, it's not massively impacting me, so let's no have any fixes and just more DLC.

OR we could see improvements for those who are impacted AND a steady release of new content for everyone as well

• Like Like x 1
  22. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It is massively impacting lots of people as you can see in all forums

• Like Like x 1