Rail Shadow

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bence950906, Oct 12, 2022.

1. bence950906

bence950906 Well-Known Member

Is there any way to switch the shadow of the rails or can I increase the rendering distance .ini settings? I have attached a picture of exactly what I meant. 20221012222141_1.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

+2 on this. It annoys the living daylights out of me.

• Like Like x 17
  3. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Yes the ridiculous shadow was there in the original TSW and two editions later it's still not fixed...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

There has got to be a better way to render these shadows. You can never unsee them popping up in front of you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Id rather they just got rid of the rail shadow if they cant make it look decent.

• Like Like x 8
  6. bence950906

bence950906 Well-Known Member

Something like I heard in the last roadmap live but I'm not sure if that was the case. Matt said something like you can only turn it off in the editor but I'm not sure if that's what it was. But yes it bothers my eyes too.

7. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I was happy to hear DTG investigating possibility of removing shadows on the rails altogether. It dosent really impact visually and would also make a saving regarding performance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

It’s not even constant, it jumps about, sometimes drawing in smoothly at a constant distance, sometimes popping in in chunks, quite visible on the live streams and a constant immersion wrecker. SoS has terrible rendering issues of the track textures alongside the cab too.

I hope DTG can tackle the track shadow issue once and for all, it seems to be one of the visual aspects that cant be resolved, or at least improved, through just engine.ini changes, not to mention console users inability to do even that if it was possible.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It is quite horrible, worse at dawn or dusk when you get a kind of black shroud preceding the train.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Don't remove it tho. The game is already missing a lot of dark. No good AO, terrible shadow draw distance - if they remove them, make it an option, not a mandatory.

I hope they learned their lesson about "removing stuff" from the save game topic.

11. I think a toggle for on/off would be welcomed. Its the same in tsc, a few problems from tsc have made it into tsw!

• Like Like x 2
  12. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

What we need is DLSS and DX12 as standard and then use the extra performance (which would be significant) that gives to turn up shadows etc. The last thing DTG should be doing is dialling this stuff back!

dangerousdave I totally agree. The one that bugs me most are the shimmering sleepers on points and crossovers. It was always an issue in TSC and it remains one in TSW. Why should points be rendered differently to straight or curved track?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  13. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

It´s even worse when you are driving inside a zone completely in shade and further ahead you see the tracks fully lit. It happens in tunnels too, you think the exit is much closer when in fact it´s this render distance thing.

But it´s ok. Keep providing feedback for them cause they don´t really have a long term plan for the game and live from feedback to feedback.
    This year they learned that when a train drives a speed, the snow lifts.
    Maybe next year they will learn that the tree branches and bushes, that are in close vicinity to the tracks, are moved by the current of air displaced by a passing train. Or when you set high wind as weather conditions, you have to trust it´s on cause you can´t see its effects.

Anyway, I´m not playing anymore. I am just lurking to see if they improve it to the point I consider worth it to come back to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Right. And immediately cut off all console players and all PC owners who don't have an RTX card (including ALL Radeon GPUs no matter how new)

• Like Like x 3
  15. I don't get it, how's DLSS gonna effect any other platforms?

• Like Like x 2
  16. I have no idea, It's a dtg thing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

What he means is that dlss isn't a thing on other platforms other than people with a 20 or 30 series and future series rtx gpus. So if they were to extend shadow draw distance, pc users can use dlss to get higher fps which consoles players and those without rtx gpus don't get the fps boost meaning they would just get even lower performance

• Like Like x 1
  18. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Well, what they could implement, given the current gen consoles use a variant of AMD's RX 6000 series GPUs, would be FSR2.1 which I absolutely believe there is no excuse at this point for console developers not to be implementing. On PC it gives my RX 6600 a significant performance boost over native 1440p rendering, and that's at the Quality setting. It lets me play CP77 at a stable 60 with the graphics settings tuned higher than the defaults on Series X.

2.0 eliminated the shimmering problem that the unrelated FSR 1.0 had, by using a wholly different technique, and 2.1 has fixed a lot of 2.0's ghosting issues. All modern consoles support it, and modders were successfully inserting it into games on day one, as soon as the source code dropped. Including several high profile Unreal Engine 4 titles.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  19. There's loads of games that support dlss and run across all platforms and there's no problems with performance on devices that don't support dlss. Throw in a track shadow distance setting and you can set the shadows to ultra for dlss/fsr or the ultra low setting we have at the moment for devices without it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

How is it cutting people off? They still get to utilise the game to the limits of the hardware they own, just like PC users without DLSS capable cards would. If you buy a console and you should understand what you're getting, even more so if it's last gen. The same applies to people owning cards older than 20 series, which is now two generations old, four if you include TI releases. I don't recall seeing many console users crying because Asobo brought DLSS to FS2020. As Princess Entrapta said, FSR2.1 is also available which does work on console. Asobo are in the process of bringing this to FS2020 as we speak.

My PS4 now sits in a spare room and I use it only for watching SkyGo on. Frankly, it's all it's good for and as far as being a gaming platform it's time is done. I wouldn't dream of moaning that PC or Gen 9 console users shouldn't have something just because my lump of 10 year old technology can't cope with it.

Thank God other developers don't view the world this way. I'm not saying DTG do but I am struggling to figure out why, given UE4 natively supports DLSS, TSW doesn't have it yet.

• Like Like x 5
  21. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It looks absolutely terrible for a 2022 game and should have been fixed/improved a long time ago!

Performance and stuttering is another big issue and I hope DTG is hard at work to fix it.

22. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

The engine should be fully scaleable so all users can get the best from their hardware, irrespective of platform and level of build on a pc, not predetermined with ‘that will do’ hard coded settings. All the better stuff out there tends to have the capability for fully user defined settings.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  23. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Would be a hell of a lot better if it just benchmarked your pc like Red dead or something and then let you slide more to the right if you're feeling brave. That won;t happen in TSW3 though

• Like Like x 1
  24. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

been asking for FSR and DLSS since TSW2 and since FSR was announced like 2 years ago and made a new thread when TSW3 launched asking for FSR2 and guess the answer none so i have to assume that they dont care

and is not a matter of time resources limitation by part of DTG dev staff, FSR 2.0 and DLSS are now plug-in that can be put in Unreal engine in a matter of minutes, and is well know that those 2 features bring big boost on fps and here we are 2 years 2 itinerations of TSW and still nothing

• Like Like x 2
  25. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

There's a bit more to it than that when it comes to properly tailoring them to an individual game, involving tweaking the settings to properly account for individual traits of the game in question, however individual solo modders are managing a reasonable starting point in a matter of days, and getting fairly solid refinements up on sites like Nexus within a few weeks. I am sure a handful of devs could be tasked with getting a viable version finished if they were given a few months to do it in, assuming they will be working 9-5 rather than round the clock like many modders do.

26. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

i didnt understood absolute nothing what you tried to said

27. truestone

truestone New Member

Has this improved in TSW3, or rather in generation 3 routes? Watching recently on youtube, I don't seem to notice it anymore. In the Linke Rheinstrecke video at 1:13:30, the platform casts a rolling shadow, but the rails look fine. In the Loco Addon Bundle 2 video, at 29:30 the third rails of two tracks only have a shadow nearby, but the normal rails look fine. Then from 1:18:49 on, when they revisit the Birmingham Cross CIty route, the rolling shadows are back in full galore.

28. ctlee#2068

ctlee#2068 Active Member

DTG: New volumetric skies bring a transformed atmosphere to routes, clouds roam free at altitude, casting shadows on the ground. Lightning dances among intense storms, the roar of thunder competing with the hefty sound of machinery. Feel total immersion as the turbulence of wind physics hammers the side of your train.

Yes, no rail shadow in advertising. It's not important.
    I only care about the clouds, not the railroad tracks.
    This railroad switch is correct.
    [​IMG]
    (Kassel-Würzburg)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  29. truestone

truestone New Member

No change in TSW4, this is from the preview video: Voralberg preview.jpg

I didn't notice before how only the nearby pole's shadow is drawn and fades in, or perhaps that's an effect of video compression. It's hard to discern how it's done in actual TSW2. And that's great: you shouldn't notice. But both in this screenshot and in the game we see the pole's shadow clearly while it's much further away than the alleged end of the rails.