Will Tsw 3 Support Volumetric Fog In The Future?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 15, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

One thing I was curious about is whether TSW 3 will support the volumetric fog feature in the future?

As far as I'm aware, volumetric fog requires Unreal Engine 4.27 to perform, however I believe TSW 3 runs on version 4.26? Although to make things a bit more complex, I believe TSW 3 has a few features 'borrowed' from 4.27 to make it perform better and mitigate any issues.

So, what is volumetric fog? In short, its really cool looking, atmospheric fog which is affected by lighting and the terrain. So things such a headlights and lights from signals will shine through it at night. I'll post a few screenshots below.

How will it affect performance? I have no idea. However, just like with the volumetric clouds we have in TSW 3, this could be supplied with graphical settings, which we can adjust to meet out personal preferences and needs.

Currently, the fog we have supplied with TSW, I believe hasn't been touched for many years. It looks particularly flat looking as light doesn't react and/or shine though it. It looks more like a filter on top of the screen.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] upload_2022-10-15_0-35-54.jpeg
    upload_2022-10-15_0-36-50.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 17
  2. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

been asking for godrays aka volumetric lightning that's been present in unreal engine since unreal engine 3 and at this point is cost porformance 0 and add a lot of beautiful visual eye candy but here were are...

• Like Like x 1
  3. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Would a fairer question not be ‘why doesn’t TSW support this feature now?’

Or again, give us the option!

4. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

i think there is a trade-off between these things and performance. As you can see from the many other threads performance is currently losing, so adding more items like this is a ways off I suspect.