Had Class 66 Shut Down While Running A Activity

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I was happily driving along the SWHS in TSW3 in a class 66 running service 6C07 when the prime mover just shut down for no reason I could decern. I tried to restart it using the engine start button but this would not work. Any suggestions from the fine folks here? Of course, this would be for a future time that this may occur since I had to exit the game and we can't save.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

This has been reported already and dtg is aware of it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

Was it confirmed to be a bug?
    I remember someone wondering if was a bug or new feature.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rennekton#1349

yea, Matt said it's not supposed to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

My blind guess would be that a new 'engine overheating' feature is under development, as a core feature in the game.
    Had the same issue with Class 52 on GWE, a few months ago...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

It was actually quite good fun to figure out how to restart. The help prompts make it look like the occurrences are intentional.
    I managed by fluke to restart by switching engine run and fuel pump (I think), off. — anyway the first 2 switches in the bank of 4 switches under the reverser. And after a reasonable delay of time managed a restart with a long long press of the engine restart button. Make sure the engine stop button is in the depressed position if you’ve touched it once already.

personally speaking if it’s not intended it’s the best unintentional feature I’ve had on TSW to liven things up a bit.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

I had an issue with TPWS on the Class 395 on SEHS. I was leaving Ashford TVM indicating 100 km/h but at 50-60 km/h had an emergency brake. And it keep for 2-3 times. I turn off TPWS on the back panel to continue the run.

8. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Stephen Crofts is correct. To start the engine, the stop button must be pulled, and the first of those 4 switches must be switched to "Start Stop Isolate". Then press the button (or hold it if it makes you feel more comfortable) then wait like 5 seconds (there used to be a warning horn during those 5 seconds, but as far as I know that has been removed). After the engine starts, reset that switch to "Run".

Interesting how you didn't receive the help prompts in the top left though, as most other users got help from that.

9. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

That's weird. From what I experienced when leaving Ashford, you are controlled by KVB to track limits between 40/50 km/h (until you clear the switches), then to 100 km/h and not get a TVM reading at all before you pass signal AF312 with the black "CAB" sign (what seems totally correct to me).
    At what point exactly did you get the penalty brake? You're sure you got the penalty brake application from TPWS, not from KVB?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  10. Sharon E

Thanks for the tips on how to restart the prime mover in the 66. Will run that schedule again and see if it stops on me and then I can get it started.

11. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

now you got me! I don't know exactly but I remember after passing the switches painel light up with 100 and then I applied power. After passing 50 Km/h got a penalty brake. I tried 2 times and the happened again. So I isolated tpws switch on the painel behind and continue as expected.

One thing that I'm now confused is weather or not I cleared the black CAB sign. I'm sure TVM panel was 100.
    A dumb question is how can I distinguish between TPWS and KVB penalty brake? As soon as the train stopped could apply power without reset.

SEHS is my most played route so far and it happened only once. unfortunately don't remember wich service or time.

12. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

In a KVB penalty brake the KVB display shows "FU" (for freinage d'urgance) and you hear a distinctive two-tone alarm. You can watch it here.
    During a TPWS penalty brake, ttbomk, the red "Brake Demand" button should start flashing (our Javelin only has the "standard" TWPS control panel). I have never knowingly witnessed a TPWS penalty brake in the game so far, though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

I've been in that situation while departing Stratford. Got penalty breaking at around 60 when the speed limit was 100 on the eggbox.

14. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Think FU is most apposite...

• Like Like x 1
  15. According to this document aws/tpws is not required under tvm signalling.

Screenshot_20220921-105527_Drive.jpg

16. simulator fan

simulator fan Member

17. simulator fan

simulator fan Member

I am still getting this...why hasnt it been fixed yet?. I an guessing that if you purchase the new RHTT it will also shut down unexpectadly?

18. rennekton#1349

It's frustrating for sure. A patch was released a few days ago but it didn't fix everything. Something due to the physics it seems where if the rpm gets too low, it stalls. You should be able to restart the train when it happens.

19. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

So with the latest fix you are still seeing the issue ?

If so I will put it back pn their desk tomorrow!

20. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

My 66 shut down today on the 0936? Hoo shunting timetable. Loco was in notch 1, drawing forward to couple up. If you can put it in the defects book please Matt.

21. Sharon E

Thanks, Matt, for your quick reaction to this.

22. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Usually you would expect this to be tested before a patch is released if the patch is supposed to fix it.

Another QA issue?

23. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

Maybe it's a specific problem. I didn't have this random shutdown yet!

24. Sharon E

As noted in my posts above, it only affects me when using the new class 66 that came with TSW3.

25. rennekton#1349

Probably cuz it's random and didn't really happen to them. Anything really

26. DTG Matt

The problem with any issue that's inconsistent to reproduce is it's very difficult to conclusively say it's definitely fixed - all you can say is "it hasnt happened since we put the change in, get it to beta... ok they havent seen it... ok release it... damn, it happened again" :)

Software dev is fun :)

I've given it back to the team to look at.

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

It happened to me today. Class 66 engine shut down as I was creeping forward to couple up. It cut at the exact instant the buffers connected. I was running a scenario in SEHS on PC.

28. Sharon E

It would assist DTG in identifying the issues if you would also list which scenario you were running and if you know, how far into it you were when the shut down happened.

• Like Like x 1
  29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It notoriously used to happen all the time on GWE at one of the Reading platforms, where one of the TPWS loops was mistakenly set to null speed (as if at a main signal for SPAD prevention). One had to use the bypass button there.

30. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

I was running the scenario 'Hoo Dares Wins'. It occured at the second requested coupling at Hoo (there are three requested couplings in total), prior to returning to Dartford. So just after the mid-point of the scenario.

Incidentally, as I had saved the game shortly before the engine shut down, today I resumed the game and everything worked as it should through to the end, with no engine shutdown. I even got a gold medal!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  31. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Did a message stating that your engine had shut down appear? I had this happen while running a Class 66 RHTT service yesterday. After setting the reverser to neutral, I pressed the Engine Start button on the dashboard and after a second or two heard a growl as the engine did indeed restart. So, this was obviously a programmed engine failure -- yet another of the many surprises DTG has built into the RHTT DLC's activities. Whoever wrote these scenarios and services is clever and innovative and should be promoted to Chief Activity Creator for all future DLC offerings.

32. LastTrainToClarksville

Or . . . it may be deliberately programmed -- see my post below, please.

33. DTG Matt

The very first thing I did was check with the team and they had no idea why it was happening - so no, not intentional.

We have found and fixed two reproducible causes of shutdown so far that you have in the latest build released - and think we've found a third (caused by coupling a little fast, which results in you running the traction motors under power in reverse (because you bounce off the other train)) - so we have a fix for that one coming, not out yet.

So will be interesting to see if following the next fix going out whether they still happen.

The tooltip was added coincidentally - I have asked the team to start looking at all conditions trains can get in and think about whether there's a simple hint that can be added to help the player or flag something up, and this was one of the ones that came out of that - I'm very glad it went in, given the issues people have been having ;)

Matt.

• Like Like x 1
  34. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’ve seen it a couple of times happen when running it in notch 8

35. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Tagging on this in the "What's related to start the 66" part of it. I tried starting up the Class 66 in the training centre. I put the master key in, checked the 4 white switches were all down and pressed the Engine Start button and nothing happened. I tried restarting a couple of times. It wouldn't start until I switched the white Control&FuelPump switch on. Was that compensating for something else I'd forgotten to do or is that required now? Thanks.

36. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

To restart the 66:

The 4 white switches. The first switch, (engine run) switch should be set to isolate and the other 3 switches should be set to on. Once the engine has started then set the engine run switch to on.

So basically, the control, fuel pump and field generator switch to on and engine run switch to off to start the engine. Once it has started, set the engine run to on so you can move.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Sharon E

Can second with Fitz above, have restarted the TSW3 class 66 while moving by setting the switches as noted. REMEMBER to put the reverser in natural.

38. chieflongshin

As per Sharon E post, it will fire up and I have had made it in the same manner.

• Like Like x 1
  39. LastTrainToClarksville

It seems to me that both Fitz and Sharon E have suggested restart procedures that do not conform to the instructions contained in the Class 66 tutorial included with TSW3. I'll take another look at that and edit this post accordingly. Yes, I realize that the tutorial covers the initial start-up process rather than a restart after an unexpected engine shutdown.

40. chieflongshin

Is anyone getting the random brake applications with the safety systems off. Only happens with RHTT but it seems random