Is A Pc Controller Easier To Use Than A Keyboard?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hansmorse22, Oct 16, 2022.

1. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Does anyone know if a PC controller is easier and works better with TSW than using a keyboard?
    What do most people use?

2. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

I have always used an Xbox controller on PC. Much easier and more convenient than being tied to a keyboard and mouse. Everyone is different though.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I have never had a console, so idk what the experience is like. With the keyboard, you have access to various key bindings which makes driving the train easier. For example, with a keyboard, you can press r and f to increase or decrease afb once it's turned on. With a controller, you have to move your cursor to the afb lever and bring the speed down manually. Another example is when you are driving on the steam route. There are a lot more controls, especially when manual firing comes into play once that is implemented. It is a different experience for everyone, but it is much more convenient for me to just press a key binding when I want to do something.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

I normally use an Xbox One controller for TSW on PC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Funny I have started using a Controller recently and I find it very hard having been so used to the keyboard and mouse.

Good: - Love the movement with the camera so easy and smooth
    Really like the option to move to outside cab view like looking out of the drivers window

Not So Good:- Have SPAD so many times when on Keyboard/mouse would never of happened. (Still having to think about which buttons)
    Some trains RB/RT is Brake/Accelerate on other trains it seems reversed.

But after being so reluctant to use a controller I am finding it a nice new challenge. Need to look over what buttons I should be pressing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. atledreier

atledreier Member

You can do that with mouse and keyboard too, just press arrow left and right to cycle camera views.

We REALLY need a free camera mode inside the cab, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

On the Controller pushing down sets that view so it is easier on the controller rather than me having to use the Keyboard/Mouse combo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I use an Xbox Controller on the TSW 2 Epic Games version. Cons lack of dedicated buttons for PZB Release and Override (Befehl 40) and Cruise Control

• Like Like x 1
  9. orb

orb Well-Known Member

I find gamepad/gaming controller much harder to use than keyboard & mouse. I started playing only recently while using it in TSW on Steam Deck (as previously I had a gamepad between 2007 & 2009, and back then it also didn't convince me gamepads are better for gaming than KB&M, or a joystick with throttle/HOTAS).

The worst I find is that though I decreased the rotation sensitivity to minimum, I still have problems targeting buttons, levers, etc. Targeting with mouse is more precise. I'm also walking a little sideways instead of straight while using the analog stick. Also, I can't get to remember which button does what, and a couple of fingers that I hold at the back of controller get numb rather quickly. In the end, I finally connected to the Deck a keyboard & mouse (and I'm planning getting some mini Bluetooth mouse to be also able to take it and play with mouse anywhere - I already have a Bluetooth keyboard I've been previously using with mobile phones).

One good thing I noticed on a controller is the smooth change between speeds while walking/running with analog stick, instead of only walk or only run, like while using keyboard.

• Helpful Helpful x 1