Australian Routes, Rolling Stock Etc

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by moondoggie#8729, Oct 9, 2022.

1. moondoggie#8729

moondoggie#8729 New Member

Simple When if ever. And of course I shall await the negative comments and negativity and plain rudeness from gunzels and experts in pretend trains. From an actual ex railway worker. Not just a know all LOVE. Cheers to the real blokes and Ladies.

• Like Like x 2
  2. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

My biggest wish for TSW3 is an australian route. My preference would be something in NSW, but would be happy with anything aussie.

3. I've often wondered why there isn't any Australian routes.

4. It could be the dtg team are afraid of critters and outright refuse to go to Australia.

• Like Like x 3
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

There’s nothing better than popping your head in first time, chucking some slang and demands at people that on your first ever message. I hope this approach gets you everything you desire, including courteous reply.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  6. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Here ya go mate...
    MFP508.jpeg MFP508Max.jpeg

Yeah, an Aussie route would be the ducks guts!

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree with OP assertion but there is a Suggestions forum for this kind of thread and probably better to put together a case for a particular route/traction/era rather than a generic let's have an Aussie route. And you need to convince DTG it will sell well enough to justify the (very) long distance research and any licencing deals they might have to make. Personally I'd like to see Moss Vale to Unanderra, spectacular route with challenging gradients.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Can’t blame them there

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've suggested a kickstarter but no punters.

List of possible routes (three are 3'6" gauge the others standard gauge)

1 Queensland tilt train/freight route on Brisbane to Cairns 3'6" gauge

2 Hunter Valley coal route

3 Sydney to Parramatta or even all the way to Blue Mountains-Katoomba

4 Adelaide to Augusta, The Ghan and freight

5 Queensland Coal electric somewhere between Rockhampton and Bowen, Goonyella system, Blackwater system etc 3'6" gauge

Any suggestions for routes?

Prefer high speed running or slow uphill?

• Like Like x 1
  10. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

The Blue Mountains Line in some capacity for TSW would be a dream come true in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Dual gauge Eastern Railway from Perth to Avon Yard, with the Kwinana Railway branching away at Woodbridge as far as Forrestfield Yards/Kewdale Intermodal.

You could have
    • Transperth A/B/C series between Perth and Midland (Passenger EMU)
    • Transwa Avonlink/MerredinLink/Prospector between East Perth or Midland and Toodyay (Passenger DEMU)
    • Freight from Kewdale or Bellevue to Avon Yard
    • Potential branch to Airport/Forrestfield (just opened)
    • Possibility of Indian-Pacific between East Perth and Toodyay (could reuse NR-class loco from freight)

• Like Like x 1
  12. It works, having electric urban passenger, freight and regional and/or interstate passenger. Good idea. Not sure Eastern staters would go for it though.
    Same could be done in Sydney.
    Sydney to Katoomba, and have that same variety.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Blue Mountains line would _have_ to go all the way to Lithgow, if only for the completeness of the Intercity electrified route and Ten Tunnels. At ~160km long it's on the long side for a non-highspeed route, but only 45k more than just to Katoomba so in my mind it's worth the effort.

• Like Like x 1
  14. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

What about a route from Neighbours to Home and Away?

15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Narrow Gauge Urban outside of QLD I present the Mandurah Line Western Australia. Only my mum's sister uses it out of Wellard

16. Hiro Protagonist

The day that the Northern Beaches get a rail link will be replete with porcine aviators.

17. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Sorry, but the Mandurah line would be boring. Only passenger EMU, with three service patterns (W, K, all stops). Maybe short ECS to/from the yard just north of Mandurah station. Runs in the median of a freeway for half its length and through bushland with nothing of interest to see for the other half. There's not even any branch lines to introduce some service complexity.

Might as well play London Commuter if you want a 60-70 minute passenger drive with green lights all the way.

18. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd still like to see a Pilbara Iron Ore route in Western Australia. Alco C-636s, GE C36-7s, GE C44-9Ws, AC6000CWs, ES44s, and SD70ACes have been used by some of the mining railroads in the region. I'd love to see the Alcos and C36-7s in TSW3. The C36-7, ES44, and AC6000CW could also be repainted in UP livery for Sherman Hill.

19. driverwoods#1787

Ok then but how about the Transperth Midland Line? Why not combine the two to get Transperth Mandurah and Midland/Airport Lines? The way you transfer between the three is using the Perth Station stairs. Basically you have one line running down a Motorway central reservation the Mandurah Line the other two Midland and Aiport Lines have a BML Style Clapham Junction East Croydon crawl

20. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

You mean #11 in this thread (four before the Mandurah line suggestion)?

21. driverwoods#1787

correct that's what I meant

22. Interesting......

Now states are getting rid of railway crossings in cities because they can't police the roads what we should be doing is doing routes that have railway crossings on them before they are gone.

But if you are a programmer I might support that idea regardless.....

I think a QLD route would be more enjoyable, scenery wise.

North of Brisbane has single line on the Sunshine Coast line.. That would be amazing!

Nambour has single line. Also freight. So interesting!!

23. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

My mate has used to be a train driver in Oz before embarking on a new career. Here he is with one he rode many miles and hard too

[​IMG]

24. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

If they were to add an Australian route I think they'd add the whorl sfealide metro network which is 61 miles long and has 6 railway lines each with an different terminus plus who wouldn't want to drive an train over south road, Port Adelaide River or underground like bowden.

25. If only we had a comedian to make scenarios with... Maybe you can suggest a few funny scenarios for DTG?

Love the humour.... hahahaha

26. Adelaide? Which line?

27. I went on London Commuter and tried to find an all stop train... but they all say Express......

Are there any?

Or do you need to download scenarios?

28. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

… insular peninsula…

29. Hiro Protagonist

I don't think there is a train that stops at _every_ station (as there are some Thameslink-only stops I believe), but if you're selecting the Class 387 then you'll only get Gatwick Express services (ie Victoria-Gatwick-Brighton). The Class 377s run the locals.

Like the silvertails would ever stoop so low as to use public transport anyway...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  30. The new Birmingham cross city route is awesome!!

I just got the Birmingham route and that is pretty decent. Looks like the railway here in Perth, Australia. Between Midland and Fremantle.

There are no level crossings though. But feels like Perth!! Just not narrow gauge!

31. driverwoods#1787

You mean the Midland Line and that route can give my Mandurah Line suggestion the A series due to them being assigned to Midland Line Bassendean Claisebrook Depots. Laying wise B & C series layer to Midland Line from Mandurah Line my Perth area suggestion

32. Birmingham cross city has the city in the middle (New st I think its called the station name) so its like Midland to Fremantle, stopping in Perth with A series EMUs.

• Like Like x 1
  33. driverwoods#1787

Ok then and how about CityRail Sydney Western South & Airport lines and Leppington Southwest rail link that features City Rail A B D & H Sets? Interior wise both D & H sets will have the Toilets UK Australian Slang loo locked in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  34. That seems a lot of work.

You going to model all those different sets?

Just focus on one primary route and one primary locomotive.... to start with. Keep it simple.

Can you supply a photo or link to the route map? Videos?

35. Hiro Protagonist

If you're going to mention D-sets (which _still_ haven't entered service by the way, although they are getting very close now) then don't use the CityRail brand. That hasn't existed for almost 10 years (replaced by Sydney Trains for the suburban network and NSW TrainLink for the intercity/regional back in 2013).

Also, there's no such lines named like that. You have the T2 Inner West & Leppington line, and the T8 Airport & South line. Neither will have D-sets running on them, as those are the replacement Intercity sets. Yes some of the intercity lines piggyback on to the suburban network, but they tend to skip most of the stations (the Blue Mountains line for instance shares track with T2 all the way to Parramatta, as does a large chunk of the core network, but there are only 3 intercity stops compared to ~18 on the T2.

And whether or not the toilet doors will be locked in-game is probably close to the most irrelevant suggestion you've ever made.

• Like Like x 2
  36. driverwoods#1787

• Like Like x 1
  37. This would be good. And only 1 set. Simplify it.

Also if DTG (I think they wont) don't do an Oz route it will take people like us to Crowdfund a starter, kickstarter. So we can hire devs/modellers etc. Apart from someone creating their own company and doing it, it seems the only way.

If someone created their own company they would probably still want kickstarter funding.

38. driverwoods#1787

Really good point and also factor in the airfare however they can actually do a Perth Western Australia route because it has a direct route to London Heathrow.

39. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm not getting cheered (yes, I am) but seriousness... rudeness? But anyway yeah.. I am quite interested in Pacific region passenger routes (still a tad annoyed how you ended the suggestion though)

40. Hiro Protagonist

Again, the D-set (which still isn't in operation) won't run T2 or T8, it will be only for Intercity services on the CCN, Blue Mountains, and South Coast lines (also, once they get deployed the H-set/OSCARS currently run by TrainLink will revert back to suburban Sydney Trains lines). They could layer in as AI services in the background due to the shared tracks and a handful of station stops, but there would be no point having them as drivable services. And if you do layer them in, are you going to layer in every other line that runs along that Main Suburban Line trunk from Central to Redfern to Strathfield? Are all 26 platforms at Central going to have to be populated with services?

Seriously, what difference does it make whether or not the flight over here is direct or has a layover in Dubai/Bangkok/Thailand? If you really think it's that important, by the time DTG might be getting around to looking at Australian routes Project Sunrise (aka direct flights from London to Sydney) will most likely be in operation (projected 2025 at this stage based on the official A350-1000 order placed earlier this year).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  41. ethansquires2002

ethansquires2002 New Member

maybe for tsw 4 we could get the line from Ipswich/ rosewood to Caboolture, as there is an all stopping portion between rosewood and ipswich as a 3 car shuttle, all stops into the cbd (roma st), and express from bowen hills to petrie, stopping only at eagle junction and northgate. there are also in peak service running express from darra to milton stopping only at indooroopilly. as well as freight from rosewood to corinda, before turning off into the tennyson loop. This route also has a bountiful supply of multiple units to drive such as EMUs, SMU 200/220, SMU 260s, IMU 100/120s, EMU NGRs, and I believe QR and Aurizon operated 2100 CLASS diesel locos

42. I think licensing is an issue.

If the logo for Sydney trains and NSW etc cannot be used I think we need to go 3rd party.

Do like the Chicago Aurora line in TSC.

Will need to crowdfund so we can get 3d models made. I am no expert and you can actually buy pre-existing models. But maybe not specific to Sydney or the stations which will need to be done.

Then rail infrastructure as well as you cannot use DTG items (unless they do a deal).

43. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

How did you manage to find a thread over a year old - no genuinely I'm curious.

Good shout but a little odd seeing year old threads pop up in my notifications.