Addons Manager

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by swift19, Oct 17, 2022.

1. swift19

swift19 Active Member

Any update as to when this is getting released for TSW3 on PS5? Well over 50% of my content is unavailable and I am missing out on layers. We've been very patient. I'd like to experience the game at its full potential. Something that without forward planning with which dlc I delete and install I am unable to do.

• Like Like x 10
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

When it's time. Addon manager for tsw2 was released first but it came with a lot of issues so I would assume that it won't release with tsw3 until the major issues are fixed

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

To be honest I think it's crazy that they released TSW 3 without this problem being fixed. Because surely it stops people buying new dlc for playstation, I know I have stopped. Wonder what would have happened if Xbox followed Sony.

• Like Like x 6
  4. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Yeah I was wondering how the "conversion" was going?
    Any news DTG JD

Cheers
    Hentis

5. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey - nothing beyond what was mentioned on the Roadmap. Work is ongoing, and we're hoping to get it into testing soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will be out soon, I'm starting to my prediction of it being released in October is starting to slip away. Let's hope that no more problems come up on the tsw2 version so it can be here sooner than later

7. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

If you didn't mention which October you could be okay.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lenwigg

Still not even in testing! Crickey.

9. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

Having just purchased the TSW3 add on I had to play yet another game of Sophie's Choice . It hardly encourages us to buy any forthcoming DLCs :(

• Like Like x 6
  10. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

Not being in testing yet isn't a good sign. Let's hope it's out before the first dlc route. Would be interested to know why everything can't be loaded into the core like what nearly every other game does now. Would even be nice to have that option so I can have all my routes at the moment I feel like I'm missing out playing a route if I don't have all the possible layers installed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

This is not only disgusting it is now a complete joke. Excuse after excuse, delay after delay on an issue they knew about before the PS5 actually went on sale. Now the latest is work is still ongoing and they hope to get it in testing soon so likely to be yet another 2 months at least.

Let’s be honest all they are interested in is bringing out new stuff. All that LOVE and ball after the last uproar over major issues about them stopping work on new projects until they had resolved major issues was just a lie as they were working on TSW3.

• Like Like x 5
  12. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Just a reminder folks:
    • Unlike TSW2, DTG CHOSE to release TSW 3 with no addons manager, knowing that more half of your DLC would be unplayable on PS5 in their flagship new game!
    • They only started working on the TSW3 version AFTER the release on TSW2, rather than designing the new game with it baked in from the ground up. Their excuse for this? It wasn't worth it as they weren't sure it would work yet!
    • For a large part of the development they only assigned ONE engineer to design and fix the issue!
    • If it wasn't for Sony's DLC limit, DTG would still be designing the game in a way that mounts all it's DLC on consoles, regardless of what is currently needed, wasting valuable memory with Indexes of each piece of DLC. Let's not blame Sony for enforcing sensible software architecture design.
    As I predicted, no date announced yet in Octobers Road map. Don't hold your breath folks, my guess is we might have it by March if we're lucky.

The audience they care about now is clearly new users who have yet to learn how DTG operate. Those of us with large amounts of DLC will have to be satisfied with the older game for now, but if we want to play TSW3 with all our DLC then we'll just have to sit at the back of the queue.

• Like Like x 9
  13. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

They never announce dates in roadmap articles

14. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´m still in the dark why Sony enforces this DLC limit for PS5, yet I´m driving around on PS4 and TSW2 with 104GByte and no limits.
    What´s the catch, what am I missing here?

• Like Like x 3
  15. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

Absolutely disgusting. How the hell can DTG get away with still selling DLC to the unsuspecting consumers who may not even know about this? I wish to god IGN or somewhere publishes a story about this to put it in the mainstream.

• Like Like x 2
  16. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

'Those of us with large amounts of DLC will have to be satisfied with the older game for now'. What a joke! There are routes on TSW2 that we can't play, for example Peninsula Corridor, which causes game to crash if you are doing a southbound journey. As to caring about the customers, that's a joke! All they worry about is the next b$@!y thing for more bucks. No more from me DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  17. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

I’m confused by people saying you can’t play all your DLC because of the PS5 add on limit, just delete the parts that aren’t needed for the routes you are playing. Yes it’s an inconvenience but still a better solution then having the full 200GB game installed when most people won’t even own half the routes.

Of course it would be best if Sony hadn’t implemented the limit at all, but that isn’t DTG’s fault.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lenwigg

I use to think that as well before I got my PS5. But I soon learnt after deleting and reinstalling a few times that it is a pain in the backside.

I use to be playing TSW3 constantly but now I hardly touch it. And that is because of the DLC limit.

• Like Like x 3
  19. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I can see the add on manager coming out on tsw3 way before March as the do have a automatic testing system now and if there are no more bugs appearing in the tsw2 version it well be hear a lot more quicker just keep fingers crossed, it is Sony to blame as the probably didn't not think of the reputations for players and if it was for a sensible to add a dlc limit in on ps5 why don't they not add it to ps4

20. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I don’t buy anything for PS5 now not just TSW. Don’t trust Sony to do something else to limit the experience. Bought TSW2 and Rush Hour in a rare XBox sale and then got TSW3 for that with the benefit I can use that on PC as well. So PlayStation will just be TSW2 routes that I don’t yet have on Xbox. I’m waiting for sales and they are rare.

I can see why they did TSW2 first. That’s the version they started with so better in my opinion to finish it and get the bugs fixed. There were a few but they were fixed pretty quickly. I don’t use creators club though, so can’t say what state that’s in.

21. antony.henley

Having to constantly delete and install routes you want to play is a complete pain in the arse. Luckily I have the PS4 version of TSW 3 ( with everything installed) but that's a pain sometimes as the PS4 version (even on the PS5) struggles in places on various routes and not all the layers are available on the PS4 version of the game on some routes. Currently all new DLC is being downloaded only to the PS4. My PS5 has just over the DLC limit of DLC installed.I'm kinda hoping we may see it before xmas and not going to hold my breath. I guess we will see when we see ....
    It has been dragging on somewhat and I know they have had to completely design this from the ground up and hopeful that it will be with us soon.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  22. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I think if all goes to plan for the work on the tsw3 add ons manager it could be out end of October or November as DTG do have a automatic testing system now that does make it go a lot more quicker

23. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

Sadly, this seems to be true given the timelines. I was one of those who was elated to hear DTG were pumping the brakes on future content development until TSW2's myriad issues were sorted, but there's no way they couldn't have been working on—or at least planning—TSW3 while making that comment. If anything, it seems they were busier than ever with future content.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Try telling that to a 7 years old who just wants to flit from one route to another! Even as an adult this is super annoying and has greatly affected how much I am currently playing.

They've got to finish building it before they can start testing it.

I know they have a proof of concept in form of the TSW2 version, so it will faster porting it to TSW3 than building it from scratch, but I don't this will be as quick a process as many are hoping. With no estimation given from DTG we can only speculate, but past experince doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Like Like x 1
  25. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

What Sony thought whilst establishing ths limit in first place is a big riddle to me... It makes no sense at all.

This!

26. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

As soon as I boot up my PS5 my first destination is Notifications to see if there is a patch for the add ons . I’ve been doing this for months and no doubt will continue doing so for months if not years

• Like Like x 1
  27. Stueyboy43

Stueyboy43 Member

I am a very relaxed gamer, and don't get riled too much if I can help it on issues. Not saying others cannot but that's just me. But what has surprised me is I have not purchased TSW 3. I thought I would as soon as it was launched. But I have decided to leave it until at least the start of next year, and possibly well into 2023 to purchase the game.

I guess with TSW 3 I am waiting for news and evidence of major issues being fixed.

Until DTG can give me confidence in the game I will not buy, simple.

• Like Like x 2
  28. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

And there you go direct from DTG nothing has happened.

As I have said many times before they knew about this issue before the PS5 was released for public sale and over a year later it hasn’t been resolved. Why because I suspect that the actual number of players using a PS5 is still pretty small so we’ll down on their list of priorities. Remember the streams where they said they were going to stop work on new stuff until the major issues were resolved. Well that wasn’t true was it as we got TSW3.

It’s not only the add-on manager though is it there are numerous issues that are over a year old which haven’t been rectified. Despite all the talk and apologies very little changes in their attitude.

• Like Like x 3
  29. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Yep I’ve sort of taken a pause on new DLC because I’m at the point where all the stuff I want to play currently hits my limit. No point in buying anything new unless it looks good enough to displace something I currently play.

• Like Like x 2
  30. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I think the issue with loading everything into the core game is that there is so much DLC that it would nearly max out everyone’s PS5. So even players that don’t own any DLC would have a huge game taking up all their space. Other games have maybe 1 or 2 big DLC and then small stuff like skins and stuff which isn’t the same as 6-9gb routes.

It would have been nice if they could at least find a way to include all the rolling stock in the core game and save the need for installing an entire route just to get layers. IE currently if you want to play BML with all services and AI layers you need to have like 4 other UK routes installed, even if you don’t plan to play them on their own. German stuff is even worse, you need to pretty much install everything to get layers complete.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Hmmm, not sure why this is no problem on PS4 then? My old and lowely PS4 is far from "maxed out" with a 2TB SSD (fitted in as an upgrade). TSW2 alone counts with 104Gbyte. I´ve recently purchased "The Last of Us II" which requires 92Gbyte right from the start. (With absolutely smooth and superb graphics BTW).
    And for Sony´s new wondermachine, the PS5, this would be a problem to handle??? I dont think so. Something doesn´t add up in this whole "64Gig DLC limit" story.

• Like Like x 1
  32. richtayls

That would be a brilliant solution, not only are the loco sizes relatively small you would also be guaranteed to have everything required to max out the layers without having to guess which DLCs to download, I currently have all American freight routes and all modern era UK routes installed for the layers for SouthEastern And Cajun Pass but no idea if I actually need them all.

33. richtayls

The PS5 has a dedicated hardware chip just for fetching data from storage (on PS4 the main CPU does this job) even the internal SSD is actually 3 separate custom chips soldered onto the motherboard. Sony delivered a blisteringly fast read speed but did so by cutting costs elsewhere, there is only 667GB of user capacity, and also a pretty slow write speed (faster than internet download speed, but slower than any other high end SSD when transferring data).

I suspect part of this cost cutting included looking at existing games and realising none of them ever had more than 64GB of DLC (is anything else like TSW, a small core with 60 DLC packs?), so just like not needing a read speed faster than an internet download, they didn’t think they needed to keep track of huge amounts of DLC.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  34. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Ah OK, thanks for clarifying this for me. Very appreciated. I didn´t know about these technical details.

So, in this whole PS5 Game Universe, would TSW be the only "trespasser" then?

35. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

I think it's one of the reason the Training Center was created. Unfortunately, it is only for the future locos, so doesn't help much for the current content...

36. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Just wanted to address some of the misconceptions of this thread, as I can see there's (understandably) some frustration.
    • We have been working on Add-ons Manager (or, at least solution for this issue), as soon as we recognised it was an issue. As has been mentioned on the thread, this isn't an issue a lot of games might face, there has had to be a bespoke solution, which touches all parts of the game. Rather than trying a 'quick-fix' which would likely just kick the can down the road, we wanted to rebuild the system that would mean this isn't an issue anymore in the future. That takes time, and lots of testing - as it touches the whole game, the dependent Add-ons, and layers.
    • A lot of the work had already been undertaken for the TSW2 build, so we decided to launch on that platform first for those who had been waiting for a long time for it, and refining that for TSW3 - rather than working simultaneously on two builds that might have had similar issues upon launch.
    • Bolting the 'full game' onto the Core doesn't work as a lot of players will have a massive download without a lot of the game content - and that would be the case across all platforms.
    • We were not aware of the 64GB limit before it became a thing that was enabled overnight. It took us a week or so working directly with Sony to identify the issue (they were similarly confused). I don't know if it was a note in a dev document (there are many of them) that had been missed somewhere, but we were certainly given no notice this was changing, given TSW2 had happily worked for over a year without issue prior.
    As a quick update our side, we hope the TSW3 version will be in testing either later this month, or start of the next. As mentioned, the testing will need to be comprehensive, and perhaps TrainSim-Matt can confirm, but I'm not sure autotesting would be appropriate for this release, so it will be manually done.

Thanks for reading my TED talk. Seriously though, I know it's frustrating. It's certainly taken us longer than we wanted to get this out to you all, but we are continuing to work as quickly (and safely) as we can to solve it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  37. richtayls

Yeah I think so, most games include all the DLC in the core game with the DLC actually just being an unlock, but most games are 80% base game, 20% expansion, whereas TSW is 5% core, 95% expansions.

38. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Don't give EA ideas as having a lot of DLC is a definitely a EA thing

39. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

How about you publish one

40. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

I'm hopeful for it to be this year and before the next dlc. I'm just hope I have enough space for the new journey when it's released

• Like Like x 1
  41. trainman#2504

trainman#2504 Member

The game wasn't out on PS5 (released August 20 2021) for a month before this problem apparently started with a PS5 System Update 4.00 (released September 15, 2021). Saying you were on the platform for "over a year" without issues is simply not true. That was PS4, which has never (and will never) have the issue. The majority of the time the game has been on PS5, it has been subject to the add-on limit.

• Like Like x 4
  42. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Its possible that the add on manager could be out before the next dlc as the haven't been announced (only Country). It is looking like the add on manager may have a bit more priority over new dlc as it will be at lest one month before they announce what the next dlc is. The next dlc could release at the same time as the add on manager

• Like Like x 1
  43. ApollonJustice

That would be great! But one DLC will be released before quite surely: The New Journeys Expansion for TSW3-

44. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I wasn't including the new journeys Expansion as new as its from tsw2 as they will be small on memory and separate

45. ApollonJustice

46. antony.henley

So I currently have 46* items of DLC awaiting installation on the PS5 for TSW 3, my SSD DLC allocation of TSW 3 is now at "Mr Creosate" stage of bursting point, having just installed the New Journeys LUL and SKA bits. I have had to take off SPG* New Journeys as at the moment I dont have SPG installed it one of the 46 DLC's thats not installed. Just for fun I have 20 pieces of DLC installed on the PS5 for TSW 3.

Hentis

47. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I don't have any USA routes instead and a small number of both UK and German routes in

48. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I’m kind of missing something here - Add-on manager (aka ps5 dlc fix) has been in development for some time now; wouldn’t it have been simpler to integrate it directly into TSW3 before launch? Why does it need to be integrated post-launch, when the issue predates TSW3 by a good margin?

• Like Like x 2
  49. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

It wasn't ready for launch it was first tsw2 first then moved to tsw3 wich they are currently working on

50. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1