Oyster On Chiltern Services?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aeronautic237, Oct 15, 2022.

1. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

I don't know where else to ask this so I put it here:

Does anyone know if the Chiltern parliamentary train to West Ruislip from West Ealing accepts Oyster? I want to try it, but I can't find a clear answer online.

Many thanks

2. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

That’s what I found

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Chiltern railways don't accept oyster.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. aeronautic237

Yes I found that too, but there is no mention of the service from West Ealing. Thanks for the replay though.
    Ah, but they do between Marylebone and West Ruislip and Amersham. However, they neither confirm nor deny whether they accept it on their Wednesday service from West Ealing to West Ruislip. Thank you for the reply as well.

5. Since when? I think it was last year I went to pass the barrier as one of thier staff stopped me and said I needed to buy a ticket!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. aeronautic237

I've never been on a Chiltern service, so maybe you are correct. Did you tell them you had an Oyster card? Did you tell them that you were no travelling outside London?

7. Yeah, I told her I was going to west Ruislip and she said I can't use my oyster card anywhere on Chiltern railways.

I lived in high Wycombe several years ago and it was the same then, I rember it was a lot cheaper to get the met to Ruislip then a bus to high Wycombe.

Maybe they accept oyster now. If they do I would expect to be able to use it for the parliamentary service, if you can board it? I thought the parliamentary trains always travel empty?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. aeronautic237

Interesting story you have there!

There is one Parliamentary service that is not an ECS at it leaves West Ealing at 11:07 I think. However, upon thinking about it, it is best to ask the guard as to whether I can use Oyster or not. If not, simply take another service from West Ealing!

9. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are starting from you may be able to buy a paper travelcard? Not sure if the are still available in zones 1-6 but you can still get one form Slough.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Can you use contactless? This caps fares at the same rate as using a Oyster card.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. aeronautic237

Thank you everyone for your responses.
    I do believe travelcards exist, but I never use them because I find that the journeys I make are either incompatible or cheaper without them.
    I also don't know exactly how they work or if they are valid, but they do remain an option.
    I do believe you can use contactless on this very service (if Geoff Marshall is to be believed), but I can't use that for reasons. I will simply ask the guard, and expect to be disappointed.

12. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

To my knowledge Oyster Cards are valid on any national rail operator within the travelcard zones. I don't see why Chiltern would be any different. I don't have one but I know I've used London travelcards on Chiltern services several times in the past.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Yes you can use it providing you board at West or South Ruislip, which are in the TfL fare zones - Oyster is valid on franchised trains in London within the TfL Zones, I believe HEX is the only one that doesn't accept it but they are Open Access rather than a franchise. Travelcards are restricted on HS1 between Stratford and St Pancras but IIRC Oyster Pay as you Go works (but at Premium fare)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. aeronautic237

My friend also confirmed that Oyster is valid on the Parliamentary service. Now I have to find a day when I can go. Thought I could go yesterday but it was cancelled so maybe another time.

Also yes you can use Oyster up to West Ruislip or Amersham - I went from Marylebone yesterday so that is confirmed.

Thank you all for your replies.
    It is yes - Oyster is not valid on the blue sections on the edge of this map: https://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf
    Oyster is valid in all other areas (including Shenfield and Gatwick Airport and Hertford).
    Thank you, my friend also said this. You can use Oyster on Heathrow Express (between London Paddington and Heathrow Airport) and Gatwick Express (between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport) and High Speed 1 (between St. Pancras and Stratford). According to the map above, Travelcards are not valid on those services.