Ultrawide 1440p Vs Triple 1080p

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by atledreier, Oct 19, 2022.

1. atledreier

atledreier Member

Hi!

I'm currently using an Acer X34 3440x1440 ultrawide. I have a couple of 27" 1080p screens that I could set up instead, but it's a bit of hassle, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

How well does UI and image scale across triple 16:9 in TSW3?

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This video is probably the best demonstration.

Personally I think 3440x1440 is a great resolution to play the game at. The clarity is much better than 1080p and the edges aren't quite so stretched as seen in the above video.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

The only downside I see to an ultra wide 1440 monitor is how to fit them into a standard YouTube video format and the monthly screenshot competition. Gladly take any pointers here

4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

YouTube accepts videos of all kinds of aspect ratios. LinusTechTips, for example, upload their videos with an ultrawide (cinematic) aspect ratio. It's not an issue.
    In TSW, if you use the CTRL + F12 shortcut to take a screenshot, it is automatically cropped to 16:9. DTL screenshots (CTRL + F10) are still taken at native resolution.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. atledreier

atledreier Member

Yeah, I'm concerned with the clarity as well, I wouldn't mind 4K for the center screen, and HDR as well......
    I'm still tempted to try, I have the 1080p screens anyway. if that is mindblowing I might just get three 48" Oleds and call it a day... :-p

6. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I am using only ultrawide monitors for 8 years now. I don´t really mind the black sides when watching a Youtube video or a live stream on Twitch because I rarely watch in full screen if it´s not a movie or playing a game.

All movie streaming platforms use ultrawide screens correctly because it is the format you have in cinemas and modern games scale correctly for ultra wide screens. Productivity is great too. I will never go back to 16:9 but I am willing to go beyond 21:9 without hesitation. This is all that matters to me.

Most mobile phones are at 20:9 screen format so ultrawide is in our lives more than some realize. In my opinion ultra wide should be the standard format instead of 16:9. Due to its extra view angle, competitive gaming is only allowed on 16:9 screens as 21:9 is considered to bring an unfair advantage to the player.

If you play more simulation or atmospheric games an ultra wide is a must have. You need a good gpu though to push the extra pixels at ultra quality.