Subtitles For Voice Messages Played By Trains

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DarkWolf, Oct 20, 2022.

1. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I know the game has a Subtitles setting that works for the narration of scenarios and tutorials but I think it would be good to have subtitles for the voice messages played by the trains themselves.

For example the german trains seem to play several different messages and though I understand "AFB, AFB" or "Sifa, Sifa", not being a german speaker I can't comprehend the other longer messages. I don't know if they are telling me everything is fine or warning me that I've activated the self-destruct.

It would be nice to have a little subtitle pop up telling you what it's saying.

DW

• Like Like x 4
  2. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

This is a really good idea. There can't be so many different announcements that this would take very long to implement, could there?

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea and this also applies to the DB BR182 Taurus locomotive which uses an Austrian German voice the OBB Announcer Chris Lohner.
    Video is this

For Notbremse that should mean emergency brake you put the 182 to Brake power 11 Emergency
    the one in 0:28 should have an English Translation in game it's said as Türfreigabe 30 kmh 20 mph on 182 locomotive
    0:32 and in-game Federspeicherbremse This is the Parking Brake

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

For that matter, subtitles or an English option for the German labels would also be nice, so I don't accidentally hit that self-destruct.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

100% agree, there needs to be some localisation. I would even like to hear the prerecorded German station announcements in English, too.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Yeah, those would be good to understand too.

DW

7. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't see the idea in the same light as everyone else. After the first few appearances of the subtitles you would most likely learn what the very few announcements mean in your language, so it would actually get rather annoying after a while.

Maybe a toggle could fix this, but since I think most people would turn it off after a while to get it out of the way of the screen, the developers would be wasting their time. I would appreciate someone pitting an argument against me though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adawck

Adawck New Member

As a matter of fact. Many German locos do have multiple languages that you just can change on the displays. Both for the system text and system announcements. For example "SIFA" is "Kvittera" in Swedish. It probably takes to much time for DTG to implement this though, even if it would be cool to have.

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Spot on and for DTG they can do this to the 182 which has Hungarian MAV voice mode instead of the Chris Lohner Austrian German voice. 183/1216 Slovenian SZ Polish PKP CZ Czech language mode

10. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I remember having to get a German friend to try and translate what the ICE was trying to tell me.

11. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

It would be a helpful accessibility feature too

12. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Optional Subtitles (even if just in the language) would be great from an accessibility perspective for hard of hearing people.

[bell]
    [buzz]

etc

I

• Like Like x 1
  13. kanamechidori#8728

kanamechidori#8728 Member