Huddersfield Line Pacer Brake Release.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blobfish, Oct 24, 2022.

1. blobfish

blobfish New Member

Hi!

I am using the Class 142 included with the Huddersfield Line and having a problem releasing the brakes after stopping for passengers.

After the doors close, I go to release the brakes from step 2 to release but the brake pressure remains and I am unable to move off.

I have tried returning the train to a state with the master key off before resetting everything but brakes remain firmly stuck in step 2.

Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong please?

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem ages ago, not on the Huddersfield Line, but with the 142 in general...

I think (and don't quote me on it) I got round it by adopting the driving style as follows:

Close doors & await 2 buzzes off the guard (possibly) & give 2 back...

Move the power handle to at least notch 5 allowing the revs to start building, THEN release the brake...

As I said, I'm not guanteeing it'll work but give it a whirl...

Eric

3. blobfish

blobfish New Member

Thanks Eric I’ll try that. I have completed a westbound run with it already but I always seem to get stuck on the incline at Marsden on the eastbound journey. Even in step 1 at the station the brake pressure seemed to increase without me doing anything and then wouldn’t release.

Thanks for the help.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Which 142 is included in the route? Is it the DTG one, or the AP one? I've not bought the route yet, as I have Manchester Stations to Huddersfield V2.1 which will do for now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

From the pictures it is the DTG version with the old doors

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Thanks. I thought it would be a bit much to expect two AP products in one route :) I have the AP Pacer, I was just curious as I was going to see if I could replicate this issue later, but didn't know which Pacer it used.

7. blobfish

blobfish New Member

I tried Eric’s advice and it worked to an extent but I think what is happening is that a compressor would be used to charge the brake accumulator during high rpm but at idle power it looses brake pressure with brake applications and consequently the brakes stick after long periods at stations. I notice there is a compressor spool up switch in the cab which is not functional so maybe that would help!

8. BouncyPacer

BouncyPacer New Member

I’ve had the same problem with the DTG Class 143 and in particular the DTG Class 142. If you leave the brakes in step 1 for too long at a station you often find the brake pressure has built up too much and you have to wait a while for it to drop before you can move. Don’t know is this is realistic or not but it is a bit annoying. It’s probably just a bug. I prefer to drive the AP 142 which doesn’t have this problem (and has much better sounds as well).

I found that releasing the brakes while stopped at the station helps but then you have to watch out that your train doesn’t roll back while the doors are open (if that happens the game will end).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is not realistic.
    When you apply the brakes to Step1, 2 or 3 the brakes should stay the the same pressure and not increase or decrease.
    The Brakes are fed from the Main Reservoir which can vary a bit..
    A compressor Speed Up switch is in the cab but is only used on preparation to raise the Main Res pressure.

The 142/143 units have they same type of brakes as the 150/153/155/156/158 units as they can couple to all of them

But DTG have made a poor unit

10. ajpardy

ajpardy Member

All my pacers won’t move i got AP, rivera line, huddersfield.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The AP pacers work differently to the DTG version - read the Manual on how to drive them

12. blobfish

blobfish New Member

Thanks I’ve not had any luck recently maybe I’ll look for a replacement Pacer.

13. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Have you tried manually switching the key on with your mouse because shift + W doesn't work.
    I found that out when I tried to drive a Pacer after many months of driving other stock

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. ajpardy

ajpardy Member

thanks, they all work now , except AP/Waggonz 1. i reinstalled , key, reverser isn’t like other trains