New British Routes Speculation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 6, 2022.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Longbridge is a shadow of its former self, most of it is an industrial/retail park now. I don't know if MG even assembly kits on site now or if they are imported complete from China. I am not sure there is much if any freight traffic going there now. Quite a lot of freight does use the route though from what I have seen in WTT's, most of it avoiding New Street via the Camp Hill line (I think it is called).

• Like Like x 2
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Re freight, depends when exactly the route is set, but going back a few years a fair bit of metals traffic to/from Humberside and the North East. Coal from Portbury and Avonmouth up to the Midlands power stations. Also some network traffic and while it lasted the Swindon to Longbridge car traffic. The RHTT also based out of Kings Norton. A fair bit of the freight operated at night when a banker was positioned at Bromsgrove for a full shift. Outside those hours ran down from Saltley or Bescot by arrangement. Finding a margin for a 1500 tonne freight up the Lickey banked from a standing start not great in the middle of 2 X XC SW/North services an hour, the hourly Cardiff to Nottingham and the hourly Hereford/Worcester to New Street for London Midland.

One interesting quirk of operating Cross City services (observed from the Western Route TRC perspective) was that the regulating instructions actually gave these priority over late running Class One services between New Street and Kings Norton and vv. so as not to carry pertubation from elsewhere into West Midlands local services, racking up 100's of delay minutes and/or requiring drastic pruning to recover the service.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I think you might be right. I can't see Matt geting this excited about this route but I can't see Rivet games making it ether so I wonder which Dev made it or is going to make it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TSW Nathan

I hope it has a
    Class 390
    Class 170
    Class 323
    Class 350

Probably too many trains so not likely but I would really like it if it has a Class 390. It has to have a Class 323 because there is an achievement for that but I wonder what else

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  5. theorganist

I doubt there will be any extra trains apart from maybe a class 66 and some freight wagon.

They aren't going to make a class 390 just to sit statically in New Street. I don't think class 350's work the Cross City, they certainly didn't, as far as I know it is all class 323's which are to be replaced by some new wonderful contraption this year and the are going to the North West to join the other class 323's.

Class 170's run the route down to Worcester and Hereford, they are in the process of being replaced by class 19 something or other. Class 170's also operate the Nottingham to Cardiff cross country service so that is two versions to be seen. I doubt DTG are going to make one just for this route.

Voyagers of course operate on the route and I assume cross country HST sets. I guess a reliveried GWR one could be used.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I'm not deathly silent but I can't say I'm not pleased with the direction TSW is taking in terms of the kind of UK content. I just wish they were releasing more of it. 8 or 9 months between releases and the death of loco DLC means it will take the best part of a decade before we get a good and wide variety of UK regions and traction.

The last brand new UK release was a historic route set in the 1950's and the one before that (from Rivet) in the 90's so it's not all 'modern plastic'. There is a very good mix of eras and traction, just not enough of it. Hopefully more 3rd party devs can help with this.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yeah, just a shame they don't tend to appear in timetable mode

8. TSW Nathan

Oooo. I would love to see some voyagers!

• Like Like x 1
  9. yambam#1598

yambam#1598 Member

Class 350s do the Trent valley so could see a 350 up to Aston before they branch off

10. theorganist

True but are DTG going to put time and effort into making a unit which runs for about ten minutes on the route?

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

Logically a 170 would be the choice as a second train pack. New Street to Bromsgrove calling at Uni and occasionally Barnt Green for London Midland/WMT would still be a decent run. AI for Cross Country coming in at Stoke Works portal running out the other side of New Street to Landor Street portal. Likewise could be used to represent services from New Street towards the Leicester direction.

Must admit I'm getting quite pumped for this now, looks as if £25 of the money I had ready in my Steam Wallet for the as it turned out non existent Halloween sale now earmarked for this, assuming release in the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 6
  12. theorganist

Yes I agree that UK content, well all content really has slowed down. Maybe it will pick up now TSW3 is released.

Yes Spirit of Steam of course was the big thing this year, although by the lack of fixes and any sign of DLC on what is a woefully quiet route you wonder if DTG have quietly forgotten it.

WCL, well where to start, it certainly doesn't represent early 1990's Cornwall from what I can see with the main express passenger train missing and totally unrepresentative and unrealsitic layers.

But I take your point there hasn't been a totally new "modern" piece of DLC for some time and I certainly don't begrudge it. I don't dislike modern routes anyway, I generally enjoy driving trains in whatever form they take, it is just my main interest is in British Railways and the BR blue/sectorisation period.

Depending on how it looks on release and what the package includes, BCC might be the DLC which makes me reinstall TSW and purchase TSW3.

Ideally I would hope that the sim will cater for people of all tastes equally. I suppose we shouldn't complain as there are many countries who have no representation in any train simulator.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  13. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

I'd be really interested to know the reasons why DTG choose the DLCs they do. I wonder if there are technical reasons behind them not wanting to do ECML or WCML yet, or something else?

There does seem to be something of a reticence to make the routes people are asking for (they've even acknowledged that the two above are the most requested UK routes I think), and I'm sure there's a good reason for it - I'm just curious as to what it is.

For the same reason I'm wondering why we still haven't seen a Class 700 even though folk have been clamouring for it to fill the gaps in the BML / SEHS timetables (or is it just me making all the noise?)

Of course feel free to disagree if you think I've misrepresented the community there :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. theorganist

Cross City has been talked about before so I wouldn't say it wasn't on their radar. It has recently been released for TSC so they have a lot of recent reference material for it, assuming this is their release.

I agree about a class 700, same as the SOS DLC, but DTG do stay tight lipped so they could be in planning we just don't know it. Maybe they have deduced that BML will fall over if any more layers are added to it. A shame if so as, despite being modern it could be my favourite TSW route as the 700 almost would be the icing on the cake.

I am sure parts of the ECML and WCML will come, maybe they are slowly building up to it. If you discount the two versions of part of it by Keith Ross for TSC it took from 2008 to 2019 (or was it 2018) for DTG to make a stretch of it for TSC.

• Like Like x 3
  15. OldVern

Partly licensing, partly access for research. In the case of Cross City it already exists in TSC so most of the reference material is already there, even if stations like New Street have to be rebuilt to accommodate the interactive elements. It's also all about what will sell well and appeal to a wide audience. Much as I would like to see routes like the Cambrian Coast line, Central Wales or Inverness to Wick these are not going to be big crowd pleasers.

Depending on how the route building enterprise works it may come down to the ambition and ability of the individual members and the projects they feel happy working on. Though of course unlike those of us doing freeware in TSC or other sims you can't change your project on a whim.

• Like Like x 2
  16. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

That's a good point. When Matt got that excited I thought we were gonna get something really special. I wouldn't exactly describe Cross City as a showstopper. That would point to this being Rivet's route but I thought it looked like they were working on something Scottish?

• Like Like x 1
  17. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I agree. There is definitely a middle ground between the ****-up that was the Rush Hour announcement and what they are doing now by announcing stuff a few weeks before it comes out. Having new products effectively announced through leaks of code is terrible marketing.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Why won't they post any teaser/hint picture at least, they used to do it before TSW2 roadmaps?

19. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

At 1 in 37 it’s the steepest “sustained mainline gradient” in the UK. Both ‘sustained’ and ‘mainline’ are rather open to interpretation.

The South Devon Banks - very much on a mainline - have sections of 1 in 36, but not for a distance long enough to be considered ‘sustained’.

Thameslink has gradients as steep as 1 in 27, but, again, they’re not really ‘sustained’.

The Cromford & High Peak railway had a short gradient of 1 in 11, and a gradient which could be considered ‘sustained’ of 1 in 14 - but it fails on the ‘mainline’ test.

It’s one of those things which can be debated forever. But Lickey is very much sustained, very much a mainline, and very steep.

As others have said, I just hope we get some traction which actually notices it’s there!

• Like Like x 4
  20. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I don't mind if we're getting a shorter route with potentially one piece of new stock. Services can still be over an hour in duration and there's a variety of stopping patterns to choose from. Cathcart Circle and East Coastway may be similar but those are some of my favourite routes which I still use regularly and enjoy. If it means we can get a completely new route sooner then I'm all for it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. carlanthony24

carlanthony24 New Member

Can have trains not stopping at Duddeston like they use too don't know if they still do. I know a couple of times they had trains run fast all the way to Sutton Coldfield, trains only going as far as Four Oaks/Longbridge.

• Like Like x 2
  22. OldVern

Funnily enough just did a quick digest and it looks like the Cross City services now run fast between New Street and Aston, at least this time of day. Duddeston aka Vauxhall and Hamstead served via the Walsall half hourly service. So we should really get those included on that section, too.

• Like Like x 1
  23. carlanthony24

carlanthony24 New Member

I would hope they are just saying CC 323 in the achievements but it includes the Walsall and Wolverhampton Branch even just up to Birmingham International as well.

• Like Like x 1
  24. theorganist

I would curb your expectations unfortunately. I would love to be proved wrong but I think it is unlikely a network of lines will emerge, DTG generally just do a to b routes without branches. For WCMLS on TSC we didn't get the Northampton loop even though most of the class 350 services from Birmingham to Euston use it. TVL didn't get the Boulby branch of the Bishop Auckland branch where the majority of Saltburn services begin.

• Like Like x 1
  25. carlanthony24

carlanthony24 New Member

That is true.

26. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I hope they include the AI 323s for the Wolverhampton and Walsall services. The more, the better.

• Like Like x 5
  27. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

A West Midlands Network route would be incredible with Classes 323 and 350 but the sheer number of stations would most likely I think make it developmentally impractical for a single release.

Something like 24 on the CC plus:

- 13 needed for the Chase Line not including the two shared with CC (Aston and Duddeston)
    - 17 stations between Coventry and Wolverhampton

plus New Street itself which serves all of the above, coming to 55 stations which is way more than we've seen in any previous release (I think possibly double?)

• Like Like x 1
  28. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Trying to keep an open mind:

+ a new region in the UK
    + a new train
    + a complete route (we assume)

- sounds like it will be very empty (like Glasgow) unless future DLC is added
    - doesn't seem like much if any freight opportunities
    - it's very short; not a deal-breaker, but pretty disappointing that the first TSW3 DLC route is back to the lower end of TSW2 route-length.

Hope we get more details soon- crazy to me there was no announcement prior to achievements leaking especially since that means it'll be put pretty soon- what kind of marketing is that? Quite a contrast to the TSW3 lead-up.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be any more division, the artist has specifically come out and said that the work was comissioned by LNER for the real-world introduction of the Azuma, and that he hasn't been contracted to do any work for TSW3 (only TSW2)
    https://twitter.com/TomTheDoodler/status/1585414679790510081
    https://twitter.com/TomTheDoodler/status/1585584083333152768
    https://twitter.com/TomTheDoodler/status/1585611261223510016

• Like Like x 3
  30. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

Here are some information on the current cross city route. I have been playing this on TSC and I would compare the route to east coastway and cathcart circle line. Again not a route that Im excited for but all we can do is speculate until we get more information.

Attached Files:

31. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I was tempted by the BCC for TSC but I don't really play it much so happy to see it in TSW. I think there were issues with the acceleration in the preview stream, they were starting off in a v high notch to hide the lack of engine noise as it went through the rev ranges as I recall. Don't know if it was ever fixed.

However the route is the key thing, we now have plenty of London stations, BNS, Crewe, Manchester, Glasgow. Imagine if we could string something together...

Plus Birmingham is not in the south, it maybe south of where people live, but it is firmly in the Midlands and looked very good during the commonwealth games this year.

• Like Like x 4
  32. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

But are they able to obtain the XC license?

33. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The sound was never fixed. There is a sound mod but it requires you to buy a bunch of other dlc since it uses sounds from each

34. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

BS mate it was posted on Tom Connells twitter

• Like Like x 1
  35. TSW Nathan

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Anyway. I think we all know what it's going to be now. Now it's just up for debate on which trains (apart from the class 323) will run on the line.

• Like Like x 1
  36. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

Yea 100%

• Like Like x 1
  37. AirbourneAlex

Probably not since all Cross Country content was removed on TSC a few years ago, presumably in advance of XC losing the franchise (which never actually happened). I don't think they'll risk making XC content for TSW if they have to remove it again.

38. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The issue I have is that if this is indeed the DTG route (and I don't think thats been confirmed yet), then we still have a pending Rivet UK route to come. Given that Rivet are a much smaller studio and from their past routes then I think its safe to assume that they will be brining another commuter style route to the table. Do we really need another 2 commuter routes for the UK in short space of time? I think not personally, and would much have preferred either a heavy freight biased route (with a different loco to the 66) or a express line from DTG, just to provide a different experience.

I do think BCC would be too big of a project for Rivet given the number of stations (absolutely zero disrepect to them) so I do believe that this is sadly DTG offering.

• Like Like x 2
  39. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Still quite hyped for this route, I remember a stream a while ago with DTG and a real life X-city conductor explaining all the details of the real life route just before the release for TSC. I'd be fairly sure that the same chap will be involved in the creation and/or advising capacity of the route for TSW (plus his colleagues that he knows that actually drive X-city) and if so, we should be in for a treat regarding realism etc.

I do understand the folks (including me) who crave something major like WCML/ECML, I do feel that we've waited long enough for something like that, but I'm sure it'll happen in the not too distant.

• Like Like x 2
  40. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I'm also still not sure if this is the Rivet route or the DTG route. Both are overhead electric remember. Scope wise this feels very Rivet like, but could also be DTG like Cathcart Circle. There's still hope I guess.

The 'leaked' picture of the Azuma is a headbreaker for me. It is ibviously done in the style unique to TSW, but I haven't seen artwork like that since the release of TSW2, with TSW 3 and Rush Hour having somewhat different styles, might just be a fun extra doodle in the same style. Time will tell, and I feel like we'll know in two weeks, if not next week already.

41. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I was thinking the other day, eventually I'm sure we'll see Liverpool Lime St to Manchester Piccadilly or Victoria, which opens up the possibility of then updating NTP to potentially go from Liverpool to Leeds.

Also, if we get Piccadilly, (Manchester Victoria isn't on the WCML) then we'll have the links to a whopper of a WCML route. The intentions are there for everyone to see, we just need to be patient and watch the pieces fall into place.

42. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

It’s roadmap week next week so hopefully find out then, I know nothing guaranteed of course. Really hope we get ECML, would be a day one purchase and I haven’t even got TSW3 yet, waiting for a sale this time.

• Like Like x 2
  43. thatyaxthing#3408

thatyaxthing#3408 Member

The artist said that he drew it for the real Azumas entering service. The full photo was a series of drawings he had done, which included some he had done for TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  44. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

This is the same as my take on the situation at the moment.

I have no issues with modern routes, I like them and they're fun to drive. I just don't find them anywhere near as interesting as the eras that came and went before, that's my personal taste. Nothing comes close to steam locomotives in my eyes, I just love everything about them. BR diesels and DMUs are also brilliant, especially the 37s! In fact, I had no interest in modern era stock prior to getting into TSW. Playing the game encouraged me to research routes and rolling stock that currently runs on our network and all round has increased my interests. Same goes for German and USA content.

I also find historical content more enjoyable from a gameplay perspective. For example, the Class 465 is good fun, but I much prefer driving a BR Class 101 with its gear changes and lapped brakes. There are more things to think about, it's a more engaging experience. This is why I want to see the WCML Over Shap route brought over in the same era as TS Classic, the BR Class 87 with its tap changing would make for an excellent gameplay experience.

Looking forward to Birmingham Cross City - I'm just happy we're away from London, that is all I wanted from the next release. As someone who lives in Shropshire, it's not too far away from me either! Always happy to see some content local to my area. Welsh Marches: Shrewsbury - Newport please, DTG! ;)

In general, I just want to see a happy balance when it comes to the era of UK content. After these two modern routes, I want to see either another steam locomotive for Spirit of Steam or a new BR Diesel route. The last new British Diesel locomotive class added was the Class 20 at the end of TSW2020. Follow up with another modern release, and so on...

There's just too much great potential content on the UK side from all eras to just focus on a single time period.

• Like Like x 4
  45. OldVern

Smart money would suggest BCC is the DTG route. Still wouldn't be surprised if Rivet's isn't a cut down version of their North Clyde route for TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  46. AirbourneAlex

Technically it isn't their route, but a freeware route they built some better assets for and repackaged as payware. They could reuse those assets on a TSW route potentially, but I think it will be something else.

47. AirbourneAlex

Hopefully the intention is that Cross City will be some sort of stopgap measure to get a route out before christmas, allowing them to focus on building something more ambitious (and probably more time consuming) in the new year.

48. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Part of me wishes you'd kept that to yourself. I was beginning to get my hopes up, although that's entirely my fault.

I think my problem is less the route itself but the timing. I'm sure BCC will be a fine route, and if they get the 323 sounds right it may end up being one of my favourites. But it's been so long since the last completely brand new modern British route- I think the last one was Cathcart, which is ALSO an AC EMU commuter route with a massive station that will appear deserted. With such a long wait I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something big, and while Cross City has the potential to be really good, it's slightly underwhelming that we're getting it when Rivet will likely provide something similar alongside it.

Of course, I suppose it's still possible this IS Rivet's route, and DTG will wow us with something else after all. My concern is that we may have to wait a really long time to get a properly meaty modern British route. If DTG's release pattern from the last year continues, we'll see 3+ German routes that are near identical to each other and a couple of American ones before they get round to another British route, and that may be a historical one. Which I wouldn't be completely opposed to provided the blasted 101 stays in it's coffin. I'd still like to see a Valenta powered HST, and I know a lot of people would love to see a Deltic. I'd much prefer a Streak or an A3 personally.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Ilba8765

Ilba8765 Well-Known Member

East Coast Main Line London maybe Dovetail Games. Or something around York station might as well.

My conclusion is that the Birmingham Cross City route will come from Rivet Games

From Train Simulator classic!
    East Coast Main Line London-Peterborough Route ?
    East Coast Main Line Modern: York - Peterborough Route ?
    Birmingham Cross City Line: Lichfield - Bromsgrove & Redditch Route ?

class 150.1 Instead of the current Class 150.2
    In theory you then have two new trains.

Birmingham Cross City route

sdffs.jpg

Class 323
    zerzr.jpg

East Coast Main Line London

Class 387
    erfzrfezrfze.jpg

Class 43

zaeazeza class 43.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  50. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

While I'm all for varied routes across the UK, I seriously hope this doesn't mean the end to more southern-based electric routes and/or electrostars on TSW, especially for those of us who really like or are local to such real-life routes - though it seems people love to moan on here regardless... :|

• Like Like x 3