Class 375 Sound Still Too Low

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Following the update this week, the sound has improved on the Class 375 within SEHS Extended. However, for me, the overall sound volumes both inside and outside the cab remain too low. To hear anything decent, I have to turn my TV volume up, but that makes the alarm tones way too loud.

Please increase the volume. I don’t understand why the volume of trains is always set so low. Trains do not wear slippers or sound deadening overcoats, they are noisy - I want that noise in my living room.

• Like Like x 21
  2. DK12345

DK12345 Active Member

I agree. I had assumed that a sound update would have improved this, and was dissapointed when it didn't.

• Like Like x 8
  3. summersy

summersy Active Member

Mine is the same here as far as I can tell the update doesn't seem to have done anything to the sounds of the 375...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

yep the sound is way too low. I have to open the windows to hear anything

• Like Like x 3
  5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same. Why does DTG always think trains are super sound proofed in their cabs when in reality they’re noisy, rattle and squeaky?

All you have to do is watch a couple of cab ride videos to see this. Come on DTG, do better…

• Like Like x 3
  6. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

Well, I have indicated that the Class 375's sound has improved after the update, but I thought I was still not enough, but after your comment and your analysis, I realize that I'm not alone.

I reinforce that the sound of the Class 375 has improved, but 377 SN and 387 GX remains bad, we need to correct these three...

• Like Like x 2
  7. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

I cannot find a single Class 375 cab ride video - can you point me to one?

I have found some Class 377 ones and they have almost no traction motor sounds but do have a very loud AWS noise, so as far as I am aware, the 377 is fine.

8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

When the windows are open on the 375 or even 377 you should definitely expect to hear traction sounds. All DTG has to do is look at the 465 on SEHS, that sounds great even though it might not be as loud as it was originally In TSW 2.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

DTG think sometimes it sounds like this on some trains especially the Electrostars:
    78805767-E595-41B5-AFD8-30CD974DE711.jpeg
    I always sit on the cab instead of the passenger side to avoid the crowd or sometimes with the driver and it’s very noisy no matter the type of trains ( locomotive, EMU, BMU etc ) but not as loud as outside obviously. It’s different if the cab coach is non-motor of course but it shouldn’t be that quiet and like others noticed I feel like it’s quieter inside the cab unlike in TSW2

• Like Like x 2
  10. tcmikaelsouza

Friends, in fact, in the electrostars cabin the traction motors are very quiet, in the Class 375 it has improved with the decrease in wind and rain noise, but in 377 and 387 there is a lot of rain noise and especially wind with the window open .

We need a review as this only happens on electrostars...

11. aeronautic237

Ah, I had forgotten about the sounds with windows open - I always drive with them closed for some reason.

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

As mentioned before concerning adjustable seat/camera position, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is definitely something worth learning from in terms of development and user friendliness/configurability.

Why is it so hard implement a menu like this - satisfying everyone's needs?

20221005181049_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. aeronautic237

Oh... my... Why are there so many???

I would hate to go through that if I were a console user.

Loving the profile picture by the way!

14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

If you agree with the comments I’ve made about the sound on the 375, please like the OP. The more likes it has, perhaps the chances of them fixing it will increase.

This is going to be my next focus after championing the extra functionality on the controller.

Train/locomotive sounds need to be realistic and be set at a decent volume when outside the train/locomotive and in the train/locomotive when windows are open. Having the volume too low is like being in a sensory deprivation tank and absolutely no fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  15. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I want to note that Flirt in Lucerne has the volume of external sound set quite well. So 374/375/377 can also do this.

16. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Fully agree that the 375 sounds need further work. The 465 is set up well and sounds great so that could be used as a guideline?

No way to say this without coming across as one of Those People but... as a musician / producer I'm wondering if the issue is that the audio engineers are mixing with their eyes rather than their ears - ie setting the levels at a certain dB rather than listening to what sounds good with a reference.

17. tcmikaelsouza

DTG JD DTG Matt Please watch this for us as although I noticed an improvement in Class 375 it still sounds very low even with the window open, the very loud sound of wind and rain has subsided but it still has an uneven mix. Please bring us a better mix of the sounds inside the booth on the Electrostars (Class 375SE, 377SN and 387GX).

Pay attention to the points listed in this forum and in what I can and Mat_Jam_Ca collaborate, we are available because for some time we have requested improvements that have not been met until today.

• Like Like x 1
  18. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The volumes are not well balanced, and not only on this train. On the 375 and 377, the traction sound is not audible, but the AWS beep that confirms the green signal bursts your eardrum, especially if you use headphones. DTG, I'll pass you the bill from my ear doctor.
    It also happens with class 66, I have to switch off AWS because of this. And the door closing sound of the Javelin is also RIDICULOUSLY LOUD. And so many examples.

It's embarrassing when I sometimes hear much louder the quacking of ducks or a jackhammer hundreds of feet away from the train than the sounds of traction or the screeching of wheels on curves.

I don't understand, what are they thinking when they modulate the volumes?

• Like Like x 4
  19. diesel power

diesel power Member

This problem applies to most locomotives. wind and rain sounds are louder than engine or track sounds. Also, diesel locomotives should be much louder than electric locomotives and not on par with them like it is in all the train sim world series

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  20. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I fear these issues, at least with the 375, will never be resolved.

• Like Like x 4
  21. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

Yes, AWS ding is abnormally loud. The same time AWS horn (warning) and DVD sound are too silent. Those DTG's sound guys are extremely lazy! How long it takes to edit sound volume??? I know - around 5 min. with testing time. And they can't fix it ...

• Like Like x 3
  22. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

DTG have struggled with sound since the game first came out or not long after. The best sounding Trains seems to be where an outside company has done the sounds like AP. But it seems daft that the trains are so silent and when you are on the platform when the Trains come in the sound is just too low especially the older trains.

It makes you wonder if anyone in the sound department has ever been on a train. Perhaps Matt could treat them one day to a Train outing? Then perhaps we might get what we paid for?

• Like Like x 2
  23. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In part the sound issues are what make the Electrostars so boring, in game. Been a while since I fired up the Brighton !ine or the SEHS in TSC but I'm certain they sounded better in that sim. Slightly ridiculous that a 15 year old game, itself based in part on older Kuju tech can do better sounds than TSW on UE4.

• Like Like x 2
  24. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

My support ticket for this item has just been closed - I wonder if there's a patch coming with further improvements or whether it's been closed mistakenly based on the existing changes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dr Iver

Dr Iver New Member

This is exactly right. Electrostars have very little motor noise in the cab - thankfully. But the (unstoppable) AirCon noise is very irritating. AWS is loud , which is just what you want because if you miss it and don't hit the cancelling button the train stops in aheap!

Older tech like 365 & 465 have the much more whiney Traction Converter noise.

Here's a video of a 387 accelerating from the departure...

There's an AWS Bell at 1'43 for comparison - you can hear me moving the controller around alot, for running brake test and then accelerating for the 90mph increase

And here is the AWS Horn as we approach a diverging route (coasting at 97mph)....

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is that windows closed though?

27. Dr Iver

Dr Iver New Member

It is, because you don't need to run with the windows open on a 387. The Aircon is very powerful, and the window is actually behind your seat.

Having said that, I have occasionally driven 377 & 387s with the window open when the Aircon has been pooped, and there still isn't much motor or convertor noise. That's modern tech for you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Dr Iver

Dr Iver New Member

In comparison, here is a 465 ride from 2002 (ie, old BREL Traction Package). I'm on the 2nd Man's side with the window open (Mid Summer with no Aircon)
    Note how loud the AWS bell is - even though the sounder is completely on the other side of the cab and the camera is close to the open window.

• Like Like x 1
  29. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For me this is why I prefer the older trains, they were loud especially from the outside.