PC Can We Meet The Tsw Dev Team?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jonnynguyen1123, Nov 9, 2018.

1. jonnynguyen1123

jonnynguyen1123 New Member

t

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Can we get a TL : DR version plx.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I don't think meeting the team would change much as ultimately they are not the decision makers. I also think that most people's view of DTG is accurate.

The problem you have at DTG is the upper management make very short-sighted decisions because they don't understand this sector of the gaming industry and they they're under a lot of financial pressure. You only have to look at how DTG is performing financially as a company to see that something is wrong. They invested (and lost) a lot in Flight Sim World and the same is happening with TSW. The only reason TSW has lasted this long is because there is no competitor in the market. If the train sim market had an equivelent to Aerofly FS 2 and X-Plane 11 then we'd probably have seen TSW cancelled.

Player numbers are dwindling, and on the PC at least, are currently at the lowest level since GWE was released over a year ago. TSW has a lot more content in terms of DLC than ever before, but the number of players has been on a steady decline.

DTG should have focused on getting the standard features implemented (Freeroam/QuickDrive, Scenario Editor, Route Editor) before they started pushing out all the DLC. All of the previous big train sim games had those features and for good reason. DTG should also have focused on fixing bugs before bringing out new DLC, as all the bugs in previous DLC deter many people from buying more DLC in the future.

The only chance DTG has is to keep their word and release the tools before Christmas. If they don't, then I think 2019 will be the year we see TSW cancelled liked Flight Sim World was this year.

• Like Like x 4
  4. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I understand and agree with most of what your saying, I've long held the belief that DTG seriously needs to improve their PR and/or communication. However I don't see the development team as the problem, I see the problem as the person/persons that are making the big decisions, such as releasing TSW with so many obvious problems, not just bugs, things that the previous version of the simulator already did a much better job of, you would think they could at least match the performance of the previous game before the released it. Also the decision to push out DLC after DLC with hardly anything if anything getting fixed.

I really agree with what Digital Draftsman has to say, he put it very well. I REALLY DO want to see TSW thrive and become the best train simulator there is, and it is very frustrating because we can all see SO MUCH potential, but nobody will right the ship!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ding

Ding Member

What numbers is your statement based on? The only graph I can find in SteamDB shows a consistent playerbase, double the size as in summer 2017 (and equal to November 2017) with a large spike with every DLC release (like in other games).

I really like TSW and want it to succeed and expand - the game engine is just so much more recent and better.

However, I agree with you on the following:

The editor needs to happen - ASAP - so that 3rd party developers can create/convert and implement their content to keep the game interesting. I think Train Simulator is HUGELY driven by the constant flow of new 3rd party content (routes, locos, ...).

Also for me personally - and I think this is true for many players - it's important to be able to create and drive their own consists like it's possible in Train Simulator. The pre-made ones are cool and all but in the end you'll get more hooked when you can make your own.

Source: https://steamdb.info/app/530070/graphs/

chart.png

6. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I use Steam Charts as the main source for my statistics: https://steamcharts.com/app/530070#All

If you look at the numbers post RSN release and compare them to the numbers between April and July, the numbers post RSN are now lower. Previously each DLC added numbers to the 'baseline' number of players, RSN was the first time the 'baseline' number of players went down after the spike of a DLC release. The number of players is currently contracting rather than growing.

DTG face issues on console as well because most console players don't want to shell out £24.99 for DLC and build a £500 collection which may become redundant with the next generation of consoles. I highlighted this point months ago, fast forward to now, and if you look at the console forums one of the biggest complaints is price.

7. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

People will pay the price if quality becames priority. The lack of bug fixes and communication is a huge let down. There's absolute no logic in a business model like that, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this.

I'm not a console gamer and I'm probably way out of touch with that market, but I just don't see the average person who uses console games really into trains or playing a train sim, if they do have an interest in it, it probably won't last long and that person will not want to pay a lot for DLC. IMHO the average person who uses and buys a train simulator is a person who is seriously into trains, and most people that are into trains want a realistic simulator, not just a flashy game that somewhat represents driving a train. I've said before that I would be happy to pay more than the current prices for the game or the DLC, but ONLY if the quality were improved.

To me putting the game on console was a waste of time and resources, that time and resources would have been better spent fixing problems and helping to keep the current customers happy. It might have made a quick infusion of cash but I doubt it will provide a stable income source for DTG.

I really hope I'm wrong here but the way DTG is managing things is the way a business that is just staying afloat does things.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ding

Ding Member

Draftsman, thanks for sharing the link! Makes you wonder which (if any) of these stats you can trust...

Yes, I see this happening in other games as well - the console audience is very different from the PC audience. Whereas PC players can spend $500 on DLCs and content (even more extreme in MMO games) console players are not very likely to do that.

For me the problem with TSW is that - at this moment - I feel like I am just waiting for content. I got it together with RSN, totally enjoyed playing it, but now that I've done some of the scenarios and tested the 3 available vehicles I am at a point where in TS2019 for example I would install my "regular" rolling stock and put it on the route.