Accessibility Options (not Just Pc...)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG Matt, Sep 26, 2022.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I would recommend making the sand a toggle button instead of a hold down feature. Or have an option to toggle this and any other controls that require continuous long button presses (can’t think of any others tbh). This would require the button notifications on the right of the screen to indicate on and off for the sand (and any other controls).

• Like Like x 4
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Raised this with the UI team on Thursday and they messaged me on Friday to say it's fixed - I don't know which build it will go out in, but keep an eye out for release notes, the fix is coming in one of the upcoming builds (not necessarily the next one).

At some point we do want to do an overhaul on the in-game HUD and sorting out the slashes - which aren't even relevant to the new design of the game UI anymore, will be right up there :)

Some examples would be great - either from other games, or grab some screenshots, fire up paint and start doodling on it and saying "this makes it easier for me to see" - that kinda thing.

That's probably not your colour blindness - that's just the map UI being less than helpful and confusing to read for anyone. On the list for a major overhaul.

Keep the feedback coming folks, really appreciate it.

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

It actually could be. I literally know people who cannot distinguish some purples and greens. When the correct track for your intended path is a shade of green and the highlight of which tracks the points are set to is in purple, this could make it hard to see for people with certain colour differentiation issues.

4. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I got the artistic talents of a slug. It's funny that on my 4k TV I see these images with text all the time, especially on Netflix or Prime where you flick through the thumbnails for something to watch but on my 4k monitor not so much, i'll keep on looking but as I say you can see examples on Netflix on a TV.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  5. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

We have the yellow exclamation mark in the hud, but how about using the new prompts area (used for such as pzb safe to release, etc), to tell people with hearing problems which issue is occurring.

Is it emergency brake, a Sifa issue, dsd, or aws alarm? They’re all bundled into the one exclamation mark making the right action hard to distinguish for anyone not able to use the sound of the game. In addition a good number of people like to try to drive without the speedo hud, so having the note appear in the top corner wouldn’t disrupt that aim too much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Had this on Clinchfield when I blew out the PCS, think it was the SD40. Yellow exclamation but zero prompts on how to fix it. Luckily my Run 8 training came to the fore - brake into Suppression, Reverser to Neutral plus the mode selector to "Off" oh and I might have reset the brake valve too.

Point relevant to this thread is that could it be possible to incorporate a one press recovery command (as an option) when this occurs, in the same way in Run 8 you click on the lead engine then from the dialogue box click the Auto CB, Auto AB buttons which puts everything right. Similarly when taking over a train, something akin to the old FS autostart (Ctrl-E) wouldn't go amiss to set the cab ready to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Matt

We are using thr new help tips in the top left to advise if you need to do something or why what you are trying to do won't work etc. However this all needs to he programmed on to each loco so will only happen for new trains.

8. Whippy107

Whippy107 Member

Hi Matt,

First off, thank you for your considerations for those of us who must improvise to get the most from our gaming experiences! I've never seen a game developer openly discuss this. Although I'm sure many other developers do consider disabilities when producing games, it is sometimes frustratingly apparent that others do not. I now consider DTG leaders in this idea, so I tip my hat to you all.

I had a spinal cord injury 30 years ago which has left me with only one good hand. For this reason, the Train Sim line of products has become my favorite genre, just due to the ease of game play on a hardware level. One suggestion I would make would be to incorporate native Track-IR support for TSW3. While not necessary for gameplay, it certainly enhances the game tremendously. Without head tracking, when walking around the train and through stations, etc. I must point the mouse in a direction, walk until I need to turn, stop walking, reposition the mouse, then continue because my walking hand and my mousing hand are the same. I am now using FreePIE in order to experience TrackIR and it makes the game so much easier to play and MUCH more enjoyable! Looking around the cab of the locos is wonderful, and being able to walk around in a steady movement is more realistic now and much less frustrating :) The downside of FreePIE is that you only get 4 degrees of head movement and it sometimes fails during gameplay. Native support within the sim would be great for people like me.

best regards,
    Stephen

PS ~ I don't know what you did to the colors in TSW3, but THANK YOU for fixing the signal lights! I am colorblind and have never really been able to distinguish the red/yellow/green lights before. Now in TSW3 I can clearly tell what the next signal is and it's wonderful. That alone was worth the upgrade from TSW2 to TSW3 for me. Great work.

9. DTG Matt

Trackir support should be working it was added last year sometime I think - is it not? I will give it a test next week :)

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Whippy107

Whippy107 Member

Wow, thanks! I'll mess around in there today and see if I can't get things working now!!

11. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

The last time I tried Trackir it went all over the place and this was after configuring it and listening to advice.

12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've been thinking, would it perhaps be an idea to have ALL in-cab control TOOLTIPS (the ones you see when you hover your cursor over the button/lever) show up with a simple keypress? Too often I've been looking for that one button, but no clue where it is hidden. Some buttons are really at places you don't expect them, and I think a feature like this could make things a little easier.

• Like Like x 4
  13. peter.t.smith

peter.t.smith New Member

If you play on a PC, using a mouse without a middle button (scroller) you cannot zoom in using a keyboard.

14. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

DTG Matt I have a request which is part accessibility and part bug. The accessibility part is related to the camera; I use controller on PS5 and due to mildly shaky hands, find it very difficult to focus the cursor on some of the tiny buttons even in zoomed mode - this is due to the sensitivity of the camera being the same for all cameras across the board, zoomed in or not, external camera etc. It would be great to have a secondary sensitivity control specifically for zoomed or in-cab that is seperate from the one used for everything else

This ties in with the bug part - if i am sat down as a passenger on any route on any train, if i then activate any external camera the sensitivity is through the roof. Specifically I have sensitivity set at default 5, but in this scenario it acts like it is in sensitivity 10. The normal first person view operates correctly

• Like Like x 1
  15. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Leave the text on the screen until the player dismiss it
    I mean the text that appears in scenarios, so we do not need to exit the simulation to get the full text in the message log, which immensely break the flow of the game. You can use something like press any key/mouse button (controller button) to dismiss, or show the next part of the message

I can be a very fast reader at times, and then again sometime for no reason it can take me minutes to read a single line

• Like Like x 1
  16. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Can I just say thank you for adding the PZB warning on the HUD for the German rolling stock in TSW3. I could never get the hang of using it on TSW2 because it wasn't explained clearly enough. But which the HUD it makes things much easier to understand, learn and get used to until I feel confident I can run without it on the HUD, so thanks for adding that feature :D

17. simpman

simpman Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, you cannot change your key to use the camera speed up. It's not even listed in the controls that I saw. What I'd like it to be able to use the right shift instead. The way it works now you have to press left shift and arrow keys to move the camera which takes two hands on my keyboard meaning I can't use my mouse. Using the right shift would leave a hand free for me to use my mouse.

I understand that this may be a design choice because you don't want the player to both pan and speed at the same time, but this causes me to have to adjust my hands position more often and these dang eggs are well hidden. Navigating the training centre on foot is frustrating because the paths act like walls.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  18. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Right shift works for me in that regard, could just be your keyboard perhaps?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. simpman

simpman Well-Known Member

Thank you for informing me. You are right. I'll look into a new keyboard, thank you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. PseudoStalker

PseudoStalker Well-Known Member

Sharpening option please, like in many modern games. Cause TAA is incredibly blurry. The eyes get tired very quickly in an attempt to see something in this blur.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Hi DTG Matt has there been any progress on this at all please?

The RHTT is in dire need of some short cut keys, the mouse controls for this is so finky its actually impossible for me to operate it (I end up opening and and closing the cab window so much Im surprised it hasnt fallen in my hand) and given that it now layers in to so many UK routes it really needs resolving sooner than later. Yes I know its purely cosmetic but I'd love to be able to use this prototypically. RailDriver key binds would be awesome, but Id settle for just keyboard short cuts. Right now its just a usual freight train for me as Ive zero control on turning the nozzles on and off as appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1