Give Ruhr-sieg Nord The Sehs Treatment And Extend It

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Oct 13, 2022.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    with the launch of TSW3 and the novel extension/update to SEHS new options for route improvement have become possible. One of the routes that would benefit most from this in my eyes is Ruhr-Sieg Nord.

[​IMG]
    The updated route map.

The basic outline involves an extension from Finnentrop to Siegen Hbf, a touchup of RSN's original (and in my eyes still very good) scenery, replacement of the original BR 185, BR 143 and Dosto's with more recent models and a timetable upgrade that brings the diverse timetable up to the more recent standards set by Joe's great work. This all could be packaged in a new route, that like SEHS also includes locomotives that were once DLC. This would mean RSN would come with the BR 185, BR 143, Dosto's, BR 155, BR 363 and associated freight wagons. An additional possibility is the addition of the 43 km long Biggetalbahn from Finnentrop to Olpe, with the BR 640 diesel railcar, however, this seems rather far fetched.

[​IMG]
    Siegen Hbf

First of all, the extension to Siegen Hbf via Kreuztal. This would be a 45 km extension with speed limitations ranging mostly inbetween 80 and 110 km/h. This extension does not only continue RSN's twisting raillines and valley goodness, but also introduces new railyards and industrial connections, mostly at Kreuztal. This would be a great oppertunity to extend services, add new services (especially shunting ones for the BR 363) and just make the services make more sense, as Kreuztal freight yard and Siegen Hbf more logical end points for freight and passenger services respectively. In addition to that a short 5,5 km section to Iserlohn could be added from Letmathe, allowing the services to this place to terminate in a more natural place aswell, and adding an interesting bit of single track line to diversify gameplay a little.

Then there's the touch op of RSN's scenery. Although I think RSN's scenery held up well for being one of TSW's oldest routes, it could definetely use an update aswell. There's standing issues like snow in tunnels, weirdly placed catenary and places being too thinly forested, aswell as certain buildings turning all white in snowy conditions (like the little dam). I'm sure that with a little work and polishing, aswell as some additions RSN could easily be one of the prettiest routes in the game again.

[​IMG]

Kreuztal yard, showing the BR 294 next to a BR 155 inbetween a great variety of freight wagons. Note the old mechanical signals.

With better models of RSN's original complement of trains having become available, like the BR 143 from Dresden - Riesa and Dresden Chemnitz, aswell as the newest Dostos these came with and the BR 185 from Kassel - Würzburg there is also a great oppertunity of upgrading the included locos massively by only copying the newest versions from other routes. This also opens the door to upgrading the freight wagons (and introducing all available types of freight wagons, like the container wagon, car wagon and tanker wagon, which are currently not present on RSN) to current standards with changable brakes. This again should be, in part, easily achievable by copying in later versions of these wagons as the Habbins and log wagon (forgive me for not knowing their classifications out of the top of my head) have been included in DRA and DCZ respectively, with all the features we now expect. Other wagons
    , unique to this route, will have to be upgraded though, like the cement wagons from the BR 363 DLC or the coal wagons from the BR 155 DLC.

[​IMG]
    A double headed freight train with two BR 185 locomotives on the Ruhr-Sieg railway, not a rare sight in real life, and hopefully someday soon also not a rare sight in game.

Remaining on that topic, the BR 155 and BR 363 could/should be provided with this re-do of the route aswell, like the class 465 and class 66 on SEHS. Both these locomotives, especially the BR 155 wil need some upgrades and bug fixes though. This will allow for a greater variety and more expansive timetable with a nice integration of shunting and mainline services from the get go. Combined with a timetable that allows more layering of freight locomotives (like the V100, MRCE, DispoLok and RailPool locos) and the previously mentioned addition of container and tanker wagons to the ones already present on RSN it should lead to a very diverse freight enviroment with many different locomotives hauling different loads. On the passenger front there is also the option of adding in the BR 425 EMU, be it as a layer from HRR or as an included train (though that would make the amound of DLC included in this quite high and would force DTG to rebuild the 425 for current release standards, which they might not want to do). An EMU would diversify the sights on the line even more, and would also add a very different driving experience compared to the loco hauled push-pull trains. All this would lead to a route with amazing variety. To give a brief idea, the list could look as following:

Locos:
    • DB/Railion BR 185 [included in route]
    • DB BR 143 [included in route]
    • DB BR 155 [included in route]
    • DB BR 363 [included in route]
    • DB BR 112 [layer from HBK]
    • DB BR 182 [Layer from RT]
    • DB BR 187 [layer from SKA, might be anachronistic for the time in wich RSN is set]
    • DBB BR 363 [layer from DRA/DCZ]
    • Vossloh G6 [layer from RRO]
    • DB V100 [Layer from MSB]
    • MRCE BR 185 [layer from DRA/RRO]
    • MRCE BR 182 [layer from HBK]
    • Dispolok BR 182 [layer from KWG]
    • Railpool BR 185 [layer from DCZ]
    • PRESS BR 155 [layer from BRO]
    Rolling stock:
    • Habbiins 344 covered wagon [included in route]
    • Roos-t 645 log wagon [included in route]
    • Shimms-TTU 722 covered steel coil wagon [included in route]
    • Shimms-U 708 covered steel coil wagon [included in route]
    • Laaers 560 car transport wagon [included in route, previously not featured on RSN]
    • Zacns tanker wagon [included in route, previously not featured on RSN]
    • Sggmrss container wagon [included in route, previously not featured on RSN]
    • Uacns cement wagon [included in route, previously part of BR 363 DLC]
    • Falns hopper wagon [included in route, previously part of BR 155 DLC]
    • Kijls covered flatcar [possible layer from KWG, possibily included in route]
    • DB Doppelstock coaches [included in route]
    Multiple Units:
    • DB BR 425 [layer from HRR, possibily included in route]
    AI only possibilities:
    • DB BR 101 with IC coaches [layer from HRR, provides IC services around Hagen Hbf]
    • DB BR 401 ICE 1 [layer from KWG, provides ICE services around Hagen Hbf]
    • DB BR 403 ICE 3 [layer from KWG, provides ICE services around Hagen Hbf]
    • DB BR 442 Talent 2 [layer from KWG, provides additional regional traffic around Hagen Hbf and Siegen Hbf]
    • DB BR 422 [layer from RRO, provides S-bahn services at Hagen Hbf]
    • DB BR 146 [layer from KWG, provides additional regional traffic around Hagen Hbf and Siegen Hbf]
    • DB BR 110 with n-Wagen [layer from BRO, provides additional regional services around Hagen Hbf]
    • DB BR 612 [layer from DCZ, could provide additional regional traffic around Hagen Hbf as it has operated quite some replacement services for example the Pesa Link DMU's]

As you can see all these additions would consolidate into the most diverse and freight packed German TSW route ever. As all these wagons would have to be brought up to current standards, it will also make for a great base for future substitutions, making sure that every future German route can have a just as diverse freight roster by using layers from the updated RSN.

[​IMG]
    A BR 425 EMU at Altena station, with the iconic castle behind it.

To actually make use of all this diversity and the extended route there would also have to be a timetable update. The current RSN timetable is a prety nice one already in some aspects. It, for example, has services that make you pick up extra wagons along the way and has power moves aswell as tonnes of shunting services for the BR 363. This could and in my opinion should be built upon. The extra length would make most freight services longer, terminatin in Kreuztal yard, where there could be further shunting services. In addtion to that even more freight services can be added to fully utilise the variety of locos and operators available after the update of RSN. This should not only be limited to A to B services, but should also include more complex services, like wagon pick-ups along the line including a bit of shunting and servicing the many industrial connections (like the power station) with the help of the BR 363. Additionally some more double headed services could be added into the timetable, as there are quite some of those on RSN in real life. On top of that the passenger timetable could be reviewed, and a few of the broken services (that make you wait very long at a red befor Hagen Hbf) could be fixed. Last but not least, AI services and static stock could finally be added to the route aswell. The big freight yards could really use a bit more rolling stock to fill them up, and Hagen Hbf and Siegen Hbf are begging for some AI traffic with ICE's, IC's and regional traffic. This should all make for an amazing timetable that will be truly mesmerizing to all players.

As this update would give a player so much (updated and additional, albeit copied from other routes, wagons, a new and improved timetable, 45 km of new track with some large freight yards, two locos that were DLC as standard and updated scenery) that I truly think it would be worth paying the full route price again, and that is said as someone who already owns the route and both it's DLC's. I think the original RSN is some of DTG's most solid work, and has held up really well in comparison to, for example, rapid transit. However, I also think that with this update it can be DTG's best work again, and would provide players with tonnes of new and intensly good and fun gameplay. This updated route would help DTG to generate some sales on this route again, hopefully making sure that enough players have this route to justify more loco add-ons such as the BR 294 or BR 151 with perhaps some steel flatcar wagons. For the modern loco lovers a BR 152 or BR 193 Vectron would also be on the table. But, above all, there is one very popular request for RSN: the n-Wagen coaches, which would boost variety on this line even more and finally add something other than Dosto's to the game when it comes to German regional traffic coaches.

I hope all of you also see the value in this suggestion, and that perhaps a ball starts rolling to make this great oppertunity happen! Please let me know your thougths aswell :)

(as a sidenote: I know that there is already a BR 232 in planning for RSN by TSG. I have left that out in the timetable and possible rolling stock section as not much is known about this DLC yet, and it might even be added for a different route instead).

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 33
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You are forgetting another multiple unit this one taken by Deutsche Bahn from Abellio NRW the DB Baureihe 427-429 new style DB Baureihe 1427-1429. That can fit here on RSN. Also Kreuztal is a Hump Yard like Barstow on Cajon Pass to which 363 204 G6 are used on the Hump Difficult practice in Europe and parts of the United States where flat switching is not used. For RSN why not expand one branch to Hagen Vorhalle that way RSN extended can be merged with RRO. In real life a Kreuztal Wuppertal Steinbeck/Langerfeld Freight train stops at Hagen Vorhalle where the 189s run Hagen Vorhalle Bochum Ehrenfeld Mülheim Styrum Zevenaar on the Hollandstrecke Duisburg Arnhem route. The separated part which has the Kreuztal Steinbeck continues onwards to Wuppertal Steinbeck. If Sggmrss from Hagen Vorhalle originating from Kreuztal end at Langerfeld

• Like Like x 3
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The potential of the route is huge. Love to see enhancements.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Loongeron

Loongeron New Member

I fully support!
    It is necessary not only to extend, but also to connect with existing ones.

• Like Like x 2
  5. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Oh i would really love this to happen!

• Like Like x 3
  6. driverwoods#1787

If that were to happen then you have a 106 km route like TSC. TSC version of Extended Ruhr Sieg Nord has a DB BR101 which stands for IC34

• Like Like x 1
  7. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I'll have to be honest here, this would mean way too much focus on a Dosto route for me, and the Dostos are on every German route anyway.
    I would rather wish for the focus to be on completely new stuff

8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

With dostos lol. In many, not all, loco hauled units, you'll have a dosto whether it's a cab car or coaches. There's also older dostos that could be interesting to see. Unless you want more emus and trains that have no dostos.

9. driverwoods#1787

Correct since it's going to be the same as other german routes. Set this in 2022 post-Abellio NRW Bankruptcy RE16 DB Baureihe 427-429 you split the Siegen bound set at Iserlohn Lethmahe from the Iserlohn set RB91 Dosto 101/147 IC34 294 Kreuztal 189 Iron Ore/Coal to the power station Werdohl Elverlingsen

10. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

I would like to see them update the route and rename it the ruhr-seigr railway

• Like Like x 1
  11. lewielevy

lewielevy Well-Known Member

Very nice idea and post

• Like Like x 1
  12. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Only thing included should be your Cologne-Wupperthal connection, which has been highly requested and would also be an opportunity to add new trains

13. driverwoods#1787

There's another way to link Köln with an Extended Ruhr Sieg Nord it's via the Köln Siegen Line in addition to Siegen to Köln Hbf via Rhein Wupperbahn Rhein Ruhr Osten and Ruhr Sieg Nord Extended

• Like Like x 1
  14. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Very nice idea! I recently took my hands on RSN again, and it really is an amazing route! Especially now, since you can drive the Dispolok Br182 on it! So if that ever comes to TSW3: count me in!

15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Good idea, as it stands the route is great but just that little bit too short. Yes it would be a pain having to drive such a long distance in Dosto cab cars but no worse than those all stations runs on DCZ.

16. jolojonasgames

Yeah, I tend only to do Finnentrop to Hagen runs because of that, so I can drive the 143 instead. It would be great to also see n-wagen with the Karlsruher cab car as a DLC one day, but that is a different topic alltogether.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Wanted to add something:
    Just looked up a few pictures of RSN to bring in more variety to use instead of Dostos. I found two very interesting things- and one of them is an amazing train, that is already in the game!
    N-Wagen:
    upload_2022-10-16_20-29-24.jpeg

Br425:
    upload_2022-10-16_20-29-38.jpeg

Especially the Br425bis an amazing train, that can unfortunately only be used on HRR at the moment…

• Like Like x 4
  18. jolojonasgames

Both the n-Wagen and 425 would add a tonne of variety, added mentions of them in the suggestion now.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

And on HMA as an layer for PC and Next gen consoles

• Like Like x 1
  20. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

My favorite route. If it is upgraded to the new standard and extended to Siegen it will be fantastic. I really want to convey this proposal to DTG.

• Like Like x 3
  21. jolojonasgames

A thought just entered my mind: isn't it theoretically possible that the route code on the roadmap for the German route is this? It does line up. However, I think I would like a proper 90's route more. This could always come later :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

I already made a suggestion on this but yours definitely goes much more into detail. I think they should also include the branch line to Iserlohn as it’s pretty short and easy to add, and we can run complete services to it.

• Like Like x 2
  23. jolojonasgames

Definetely could and should be done, I don't know how I forgot about it in the original suggestion

• Like Like x 1
  24. i am 100% down for this route to be extended would be epic

• Like Like x 2
  25. jolojonasgames

Added that extension to the suggestion and map now :)

• Like Like x 2
  26. driverwoods#1787

If you want this to be 2022 RSN DTG should make Iserlohn Branch with DB BR427-429 formerly Abellio NRW which went Bankrupt at the start of 2022. DB BR101 Intercity service IC 2220/2221
    On the coaches these must say Frankfurt (M) Hbf to Siegen from Hagen Northbound to Norddeich Mole when playing it from Siegen to Hagen Hbf or Iserlohn Lethmahe

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  27. jolojonasgames

I hope this video gives some idea as to the oppertunities for AI traffic at Hagen Hbf, though keep in mind that RSN is set quite some years before this video with more of the services seen operated by DB.

• Like Like x 5