Birmingham Cross City Line

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by andyscotland, Nov 1, 2022.

1. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

For those of us familiar with the route/area, what are we most looking forward to seeing in the game? Being a brummy for me I reckon it has to be the rotunda.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I know nothing about the route but I'm looking forward to the 323, given that they made the sounds correct. Most routes just feel like a to b to me. Sure there may be some things I like but for the most part, I'm drawn to the route by the trains, maybe scenery or unique features. For the most part, I'm unbiased so I like every dlc

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jay1986

Jay1986 Well-Known Member

The only thing I know is that the route is 32 miles (looked that up on google).
    Apart from that, nothing.
    There’s plenty of stations to explore and the scenery is going to look really nice I should imagine.

4. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Right now I'm waiting for the article about layers and services on BCC, as this will answer the question if the route will be quite busy with trains and what will be the variety of layers.

If this route will start with only 323 and 66, then I'll not be much interested in it now and probably wait for the future DLCs which will fill it with more AI trains.

5. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Let's hope it plays better tsw3 on playstation 5 is buggy and stuttering in places i don't even play it anymore. Im back on tsw2 at the moment. I will wait to read the feedback before I buy this route let's hope this route is optimized and runs smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The southern section Barnt Green to Birmingham has long been one of my favourite routes. Its so interesting from an industrial aspect so I'm looking forward to driving it.

7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m looking forward to the route but have some reservations at the moment. I’m waiting until the preview streams before I make any judgements. I’m concerned about the audio with the 323 having a very distinctive sound and I’m concerned about the atmosphere at the 13 platform New Street station with only one train type for the route. We’ll soon see.

• Like Like x 3
  8. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

If you talk about layers then only 323 and 66 as layers are unrealistic (from the current UK content).
    I personally would hate to see HST in GWR livery in BNS for example.
    It's going to be like ECW, that only had one train (two) as well. Still, very good and beautiful route. So I don't see any issues with that.

I overall see people moan for just the sake of moaning. I'm just glad it's this route that comes next since it's familiar area for me but I wouldn't be sad if it was another southern route. Or northern.

9. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

I'm excited about the sound actually. It can go three ways: fffed up, different but cute, wrong but cute.
    I don't expect sounds to be spot on nor fairly close since it's extremely difficult to get right on this EMU. Even the shape is... Especially as most people think in their head what it is is right is not. It's one of the toughest trains to make rightish.
    So people who wanted to see risk taking, there is your risk taking.

Obviously they can release the route, nail it and then make my current post completely obsolete, meaning I could be wrong :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Agreed on the sounds, as for traffic, they could probably get away with padding BHM with 323’s as stand-ins & some static 66 consists. I’m sure that if Joe has worked on the timetable then we will see something interesting.

Hopefully Rivet & DTG have talked to each other & they will be bringing a follow up loco DLC for the route.

There was a comment on the RHTT DLC from DTG shortly after it’s release, that it would feature on future routes as a layer, combined with the layout of the Cross City line, it should be an interesting circuit layer which adds traffic to either end of the line.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ray.flanagan67

ray.flanagan67 Member

I heard that this will be £30. Any idea if that is true? Cheers

12. kevc137

kevc137 New Member

As there are two RHTT circuits based out of Kings Norton plus the MPV versions it would be realistic to be able to use that.

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The pack will be available as a standalone DLC (Likely £25 as with all previous) and as a bundle starter pack (so the DLC and the core game) which is likely to be £30 as per the previous bundles.
    DTG haven't announced actual pricing yet though

• Like Like x 2
  14. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

Great to see a route that,s outside London for a change despite the fact that i live in London my only Disappoint was to the fact it was not WCML South that was the latest Uk Route & the fact that its Ex Train simulator lowers its appeal just that little bit more

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Joe has worked his magic, not only on the decent amount of 323 traffic running from both Redditch and Bromsgrove, but also on whatever else may be coming to this route in the future. It definitely feels like it should get at least another loco, either included or as a (hopefully sooner rather than later) DLC.

The RHTT passed me at Bromsgrove the other week, so it's definitely a realistic addition. I assumed they were needed everywhere?!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  16. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

What like most UK routes you mean? TVL, SoS, WCL, Cathcart Circle, East Coastway, NTP, IoWx2 ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

So we have the following for Freight:-
    RHTT Services
    1 x FKA container service (playable early morning) *
    2 x HKA services (playable)

* Occasional AI FKA traffic on the WCML (Litchfield Trent Valley area)

3 x BBA (Steel services)
    3 x PCA (Cement)

Class 37 tour out and back

A splattering of HST moves.

And 223 services for the 323

Rail Head Treatment Train
    The first layer of note and it’s a busy one! At Kings Norton on the southern half of the route, just south of Bournville, lies an engineering depot which has the prime purpose of housing RHTT equipment during the leaf fall season. With the Rail Head Treatment Train having not long released for Train Sim World 3, it felt only natural to include some seasonal services for Cross-City.
    Operating between September and November, RHTT circuits make their way around the route, departing from the depot and running both north and south before returning later in the day.

Taken from the below article
    https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/cross-city-timetable-deep-dive

Cheers
    Hentis

18. phillipa#1949

I see they have already delayed its relesse date from the 15th to the 17th of November

19. rennekton#1349

yup. They had to fix some light baking issues in the tunnels so they needed the additional time to fix it, get it tested and released

20. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

And WSR, NTP

• Like Like x 1
  21. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

That's okay it's good to see they are looking at fixing it instead of releasing it then fixing it. This tunnel thing seems to be a trend with TSW3 and the new lighting. This scares me regarding routes from Rivet whom have a bad tendency in the past to just release things in a bad state. Hope DTG get onto them to pay attention to a route if there are tunnels involved.

• Like Like x 1
  22. antony.henley

They will be working closely with Adam and the rest of the Special project team so hopefully there will be no need to if you get my drift. This applies to all the other 3rd party creators as well.

Hentis

23. phillipa#1949

Does anyone know if this is a Straight port of the TS version of the route or has it been Modified for TSW3?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a port from TSC tor TSW. All routes have to be recreated even if they were in TSC

• Like Like x 1
  25. rennekton#1349

Well, the model and livery are very different from each other. There's more detail in tsw and lots of time has been put into making the 323 like the real thing

26. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Let's hope it runs smoothly but probably not

• Like Like x 1
  27. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

I think I saw in another thread that the stand-alone price for the route will be £30 (Steam pre-order) is this correct?

28. rennekton#1349

$39.99 and whatever the conversion is. But regional pricing and other conversions have an effect since steam recently updated the exchange rate so some areas of the world will see massive increases in price.

• Like Like x 1
  29. photonmonkey

Ouch, didn't set enough aside for this one so will have to sit it out until payday, I assume this is the 'new' standard price for stand alone DLC in TSW3 then, disappointing.

30. phillipa#1949

They where rather tight lipped about the price of this on last nights preview stream to a point were JD tried avoid expressing how he really felt but what was mentioned Steam HAS upped the price to £29.99 (pre-order price ) i have a horrible feeling this will be applied to the PLAY-Station network & Microsoft Store will find out tomorrow when it goes live at 10am BST ON CONSOLES later in the day when it goes live on PC.

DTG have used the excuse to sell it as a starter pack & an add-on to up the price

31. junior hornet

He did confirm that pricing is expected to be the same for consoles as for PCs i.e. £29.99

32. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

“Expected”

There is approximately 0% chance that DTG do not know how much their product will list for.

Their constant muckery when it comes to communications, puts me off much more than a £5 increase.

• Like Like x 1
  33. phillipa#1949

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  34. phillipa#1949

Have they no shame about upping the price in a cost of living crisis the fact that they are selling it as a starter pack & as a add-on makes all the more worse

35. photonmonkey

well I am boycotting it for now, at least until payday ;) I will see what the general consensus is on the route when it releases, if it is *cough* bug free then maybe I will reluctantly cave, but lets face it there are bound to be some issues. Just don't think £30 is justified if you already have TSW3.

• Like Like x 1
  36. antony.henley

Do you say that to the Manager at Asda, Tesco's Sainsburys, Waitrose, Co op or any other food store that you may or may not shop in when your doing the weekly shop? No thought not Dovetail are a business just like the ones above, ground rent, staff salaries business rates plus much more all has to be paid. Are Dovetail to pay their staff in Gummi Bears and Oreo cookies now?

If its too much then don't buy it plain and simple as that.

Hentis

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

It's amazing how some of you will hijack any thread to get your own opinions across. Some of you are so entitled.
    DTG is first and foremost a business, not a charity. Businesses need to make money. Are DTG somehow exempt from increased costs?
    Whether I agree with what DTG are doing is irrelevant. But........
    1. The cost of living crisis is NOT DTG`s fault.
    2. DTG staff and the business may also be feeling the pinch. Offices and equipment do not power themselves. If margins are down, prices have to go up. Plus, DLC has been the same price for a long, long time.
    3. The decision to offer the starter pack and the route at the same price is a sensible one. (And a clever one IMO) The more people DTG can get onto TSW3, the better it is for them. Whether we like it or not, at some point TSW2 has to die. Working on 2 games means less resources to go around.
    4. You have a choice. Buy or don't. Nobody is forcing you. Gaming is a luxury. You make the choice. (I appreciate some will have to Google for advice)
    5. Time will tell if the price increase hurts DTG sales. I suspect not.

Having said all of the above, of course there are some issues....
    Optimisation of the game could be better.
    Acceptance of issues could be better.
    Transparency about pricing and future projects could be better.
    etc. etc.

I don`t know exact numbers, but I would imagine forum users make up a small percentage of total owners of the game.
    As a business, you will NEVER keep every customer happy, and trying to do so will be your downfall. From DTG`s point of view, if the majority of customers are happy, they will carry on regardless. whether we like it or not, thats the world we live in.

Hmm, seems I thought I was in the PC thread with the same name....

• Like Like x 3
  38. photonmonkey

In all fairness the price increase is still a price increase and some people have there limits on what they can afford to pay. We aren't all single and on huge salaries. I personally am just disappointed as it will mean I will have to wait and potentially make a purchase at the end of the month if I have the spare cash.

• Like Like x 1
  39. countcussy

Oh absolutely. I get it. I will be waiting for a sale myself. Family comes first. It Just frustrates me how many threads get ruined.

• Like Like x 2
  40. junior hornet

People don’t seem to understand that the cost of living crisis affects companies as well as individuals - do DTG not have energy and heating costs, do their staff not need a pay rise as much as the rest of us?

Besides, if the cost of living crisis is an issue, then the costs of this DLC is irrelevant. It’s not exactly a choice between eating and train driving. As mentioned above, buying this is a luxury. It’s not nice if you want it and can’t afford it but it’s hardly an essential purchase. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it is realistic.

• Like Like x 4
  41. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Cost of living crisis or not, £29.99 for a DLC will I think put a few people off. There's a psychological effect that comes into play with consumers when a product breaches another tens decimal unit, 29.99 is closer to 30 than it is to 20 after all, and nowadays £30 is a good chunk of cash for many people.

Of course, this is why we still have products selling for xx.99, not that this 1 penny under 30 quid fools most people.

With a lot of big budget games coming out at 50 to 60 quid, and this dlc being sold for 50% of a premium title many will see this rightly or wrongly as a cash grab.

I suppose we will see in a few weeks when DTG have their sales data for this particular DLC as to whether their pricing strategy works or not.

• Like Like x 3
  42. phillipa#1949

Well having worked for Tesco for 25yrs & speaking as a former Tesco Employee no i would not as i have very good understanding how Tesco fiddle there prices to there Advantage & to your Disadvantage in a way you the Customer mislead into thinking your getting a good deal when really your not

• Like Like x 3
  43. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Retrospectively reading this and wondering how light baking improvements are a 48hr delay but bidstack boards 2months….. guess dlc generates the revenue to keep the cogs spinning

44. countcussy

Of course they do. They are a business. And only people who really don`t care, or those that are too stupid to work it out, fall for it.
    Sports Direct have been praying on people who failed maths for years. :D

45. photonmonkey

For anyone that does make a purchase and is familiar with the route would be interested to know if they have modelled 'Old Joe'.

46. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

$53 + tax Canadian on PS5 store. So that’s about $60 all in. That’s steep. I will probably buy it but I’m not in a rush since I’m currently mainly playing German stuff and I’m at PS5 DLC limit anyway. I’m not going to knock them for price increase since they can do what they need to do but it definitely will effect my purchase strategy if they are all this price going forward. At the old price I bought nearly every DLC, even ones I wasn’t super excited about. At this price I’ll have to be pretty sure I’m going to want to play it a lot to justify it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  47. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Couldn't have put this better myself. Their wishy washy communication really cheeses me off.

• Like Like x 3
  48. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Those are all food retailers which people have to buy from in order to live. And yes, I have told my local grocery manager what I think of their blatent profiteering during a cost of living crisis. It's disgraceful that they line their pockets at the expense of others misery.

With the vast majority of their staff working from home, DTG's energy bills will have gone right down. I'd be amazed if their staff have got a 20% pay rise in the last year so not sure what this 20% rise (more for those in other countries) is actually supposed to be for.

No, they don't. Most of their staff work from home so their energy and heating costs will have plummeted.

• Like Like x 1
  49. nyem24

nyem24 New Member

$40 USD?! Even as a one route "starter pack" this seems very highly priced. And no lower cost option for those that already own the game is not a good business decision.

• Like Like x 5
  50. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

They still have to pay for heating and electric at home... Which has gone up.

• Like Like x 2