Upcoming Release Master The West Midlands!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG JD, Nov 1, 2022.

1. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Personally I’m looking forward to BHM, I love it when we get a route that goes through a huge station without ending there, it adds some excitement to a run, it also adds a lot to variety, not every run has to start and end in the same place. Having what is usually a terminus in the middle of a route opens up options to various route patterns, as opposed to always starting or ending in the same place.

This route is only 34 miles long and yet it will offer a wealth of start and end points.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Maybe we'll be seeing Cadbury candy vending machines on these platforms. :D

As a Chicago resident, I know exactly how this works.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Great to see a new UK route, I will be picking this one up unless there is evidence of cost-cutting, like bare scenery (cough SoS cough). However it seems to me that there’s a big opportunity for some loco, MU, and rolling stock DLCs that would really enhance the UK routes we already have with extra layers. Still waiting for a class 25 and another 1st gen DMU for Transpennine. ;)

Although I was initially disappointed, I do like the precedent set by SEHS as a route extension. It would be nice to see it extended even further, for instance to London Victoria, the Sheerness branch, Margate, Ramsgate, Dover. Be great to see a fuller network.

• Like Like x 9
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I guess it happens in many places, they do tend to be a big part of a persons identity so it can be quite insulting as they are often stererotyping people as a byproduct of that place and therefore a personification of it.

I think much of the prejudice about Birmingham are peoples aversion to the accent.

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Oh yes please definately, chances of it happening - vanishingly small!

• Like Like x 3
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think when Q&A for the stream goes up, that will be my leading question - is it the intention to take this and build on it as a central England hub, add extra mileage and train DLC or is it another "burner" (as in throwaway) route project?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Yes, I would love to see this as part of a larger WCML route. Cathcart was also a perfect candidate for that, but sadly has not been thus far exploited.

• Like Like x 2
  8. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I think it's a given that New Street will be used again. It may be a year or longer but it'll be used, I'm certain.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  9. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

If its released as a starter pack which it seems wll be the case then it will be £29.99 but if its dlc it should be £24.99 right? I'd consider not downloading any more routes if they're £30 each tbh, £25 is bad enough but £30 is entire new game territory.

10. OldVern

I think a significant proportion of the customer base who are prepared to pay £24.99 for a quality route (£22.49 with pre order discount) will think likewise and wait for a sale. DTG need to be careful they don't shoot themselves in the foot on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  11. andyscotland

Indeed, I live fairly near to the Cathcart circle and wanted it bt no way was I paying £25 for that. I want to download the London to Brighton route at some point as according to the playstore it's a 22gb download vs the 10gb or so of an average route so that must be worth having.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

It could be worse. You could be in Cleveland or pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 2
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I don't have Cajon Pass installed because of this. I'm not a fan of middle of nowhere freight routes or freight routes in general. I don't get why dtg decided to bundle a freight route with two high speed routes to be honest

• Like Like x 1
  14. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to getting this route too, but only after the Addons-Manager is released for TSW 3...

• Like Like x 1
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Every time I am not interested, I look at all these awesome article screenshots and I am getting interested instantly. Here I go again. Not bad for mono EMU DLC. I count on scenery to be the hero this time. BR o7

• Like Like x 1
  16. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Don't agree with this at all. UK has more variety than anyone else really, you've got:

1. Modern EMU commuters in SEHS, BML, ECW.
    2. More classic EMU commuters in Glasgow and ECW 313 add on.
    3. Classic diesels from 70s-90s in multiple (albeit older) add ons - TVL, NTP available.
    4. High speed trains - Class 395/SEHS and Class 43/GWE.
    5. A DMU that shows up in 2 routes - Class 166 in GWE and also playable on BML
    6. STEAM - the only steam route in the game being UK and its not even been out very long. For some reason people always just seem to forget that this one exists and is a UK route, but it is the absolute opposite of an EMU commuter route.

So you've got freight, passenger, 50s, 70s, 80s, 90s and modern, steam, diesel, electric AC as well as DC... some routes are older but have at least been reworked with passengers/crossings/PIS/etc. When you look at the two most recent ones (not including the SEHS update) you have BML and SoS which couldn't be more different.

That is just DTG. If you include Rivet you get another vintage route with another DMU as well as 2 versions of Isle of Wight.

And finally I will add that when it comes to "TSW 3 quality" routes with the new lighting etc, when Cross City comes out we will be standing at the UK having three TSW3 quality routes (SEHS, SoS, and Cross City) vs only one each for Germany and US. Yes, two of those are "reworked' from TSW2 but its a pretty big improvement in visuals for SoS and visuals plus a major route improvement for SEHS.

Overall Britain seems to get as much attention if not more than the other two main regions and has more variety in playable content. Germany gets a lot of attention from DTG but not a ton of variety, all the routes are modern and mostly electric - no historical and barely any diesel. North America has a whole set of issues that could go into its own thread. With the last announcements North America doesn't even have a known route in the pipeline, just a loco.

• Like Like x 10
  17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

You disagree with me and that's fine, I've always said TSW is a broad church, but in answer to your points these are my views.

1. So EMUs then....
    2. Oh look more EMUs
    3. TSW2020 DLCs which are showing their age compared to the TSW2 & TSW3 routes.
    4. Another EMU and an aged TSW2020 HS diesel which is showing its age with limited features.
    5. SW2020 train which is showing its age with limited features.
    6. Fab if you enjoy kettles and don;t mind the fact that its UNPLAYABLE due to broken physics and AI spads.

The fact that you have to bring up locos and routes from a game which has been superseded twice, and a DLC which is practically unplayable for numerous reasons kind of proves my point.

• Like Like x 4
  18. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Yeah... I mean I think respectfully that can be just translated more to "they haven't done anything recently that fits MY tastes" than that they haven't been doing anything to satisfy UK customers.

SoS for example is a pretty unique add on that would have taken a lot of work considering its a major departure from what they worked on before, and its a UK route. You can say "well you won't like it unless you like steam trains" - but there are hundreds if not thousands of people that do? It's pretty hard to say they aren't satisfying UK customers unless they like EMUs when they put that out, and then turn around and say "well I don't like steam either". In that case it seems like you're just specifically asking for more diesels?

There's still way more variety in the UK, 50s-2020s with all modes of power compared to a similar view from the German or North American point of view.

• Like Like x 1
  19. andyscotland

I also think you could add a route from either new street or Moor Street kind of following the Chiltern route but perhaps meeting the gwr at Reading?

20. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

What is the price for the route or is it the normal price and secondly is it that is it just that look motive or and always there another locomotive coming

21. redrev1917

Hardly, I own every route and enjoy running them all to varying degrees and would rate East Coastway, Cathcart & London Commuter in my top 10 routes. I'd enjoy SoS if it was in a place where I could confidently start a random service and expect to finish it in roughly the allocated time without having to worry about an AI spad, listen to the safety go off or be late at every station.

I enjoy commuter lines I really do (Harlem & the sbahn services on SKA are other of my top 10 routes/services), but my point is that we need more modern variety in the UK rather than having to rely on routes from 2 editions to get that variety.

And you know Id actually welcome BCC if it wasnt the 4th UK DLC on the bounce which was EMU commuter driven.

• Like Like x 3
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The three routes that came with starter bundles are all £29.99 now which is the same price as the starter bundles that they had so in effect they are giving away TSW3 for free with each of the single TSW3 routes. £30 is a fair price considering how long they were £25 for and how much inflation is at the moment. It’s just something we have to get used to. I won’t be buying it on release. I’ve got plenty to be getting on with and this can wait for a discount. I’ll probably get most routes in sales from now on, I’m not made of money.

• Like Like x 1
  23. tallboy7648

First it's "no more electrostars". Now it's "No more emu's." What's next? Will we have a "No more high speed trains" brigade?

This is just a general observation I see by some. It's understandable though that some want variety

• Like Like x 4
  24. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Where do I sign up? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  25. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I was just saying the same thing about the local council of the small Midwestern town I recently moved from.

Guess local government is the same everywhere, lacking in common sense and imagination.

Probably because no one with any smarts wants to run for alderman or mayor.

• Like Like x 1
  26. tallboy7648

The suggestions forum

All you got to do is make a suggestion on something you want to see. ;)

27. Crosstie

Count me in, Member #2!!

• Like Like x 3
  28. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Everything in moderation. This is why I like the German TSW routes best despite liking UK railways more.

We need more UK TSW routes with local and express (high speed) trains and freight all on the same network with freight depots, sidings, carriage depots etc. A virtual playground.

• Like Like x 11
  29. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

In Liverpool, they’ve spent millions making Lime Street (the very Lime Street which has its station in SoS) ‘better’. However, the buses into the City Centre are now held an extraordinary amount of time by so many traffic lights - most put in for cyclists (who don’t use them) - that getting a bus into and out of Queen Square bus station is a nightmare.

They’ve also narrowed one of the busiest roads in Liverpool (The Strand) and planted trees to make it greener, but with the massively increased congestion (as a result), cars, buses and whatever else are spewing out CO2 whilst going nowhere.

This work should definitely be a case study on how to mess things up massively.

• Like Like x 4
  30. Crosstie

That will make TSW prices similar to those of TSC, which have been unchanged for many years.

I agree, £30/$35 is not unreasonable, but it will make me much more selective in the future and point me towards the sales, which are quite frequent on Steam.

Certainly another electric train on a suburban commuter line is unlikely to prise first day money from my wallet, especially with the cost of living rising at an alarming rate over here.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

An increase in price is not unwelcome if the quality has increased. TSW 3 does a lot of things well, but there is still a heck of a lot to be desired.

• Like Like x 3
  32. redrev1917

I just want variety, but when the 4th (or is it 5th) modern UK by DTG on the bounce is yet another electric commuter route, then IMO its time to say something.

Anyhow I've said my piece and given my feedback, and quite frankly Im boring myself so peace out. (and I know I'll pick this up in a sale sooner or later).

• Like Like x 1
  33. Crosstie

One of DTG Natalie's more famous quotes was that ( to paraphrase ) an increase in price for TSW routes would have no effect on quality.

• Like Like x 3
  34. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

They have already stated a new county is coming. And my guess it would release next year as part of a 3 routes package or deluxe Edition.

• Like Like x 1
  35. neilwatson2007

neilwatson2007 Member

I am very much looking forward to this route although I'll have to wait till December as it'll be a Xmas present for me, i remember having it on my old laptop on Microsoft Train Simulator although it was slow as sometimes you would have 90 second stops at each station.

The fact it appears to go to Redditch and Bromsgrove shows it has two different destinations from Birmingham, Litchfield and Five Ways so a good mix of passenger services to drive.

Hopefully some freight will be on, maybe a steam railtour or even a diesel one using trains from West Somerset too.

Don't want Brum to be empty, be good if if is filled with trains in it

36. aydinbarker

aydinbarker New Member

Anyone notice 2r89 on one of the images of the gsmr.

interesting

• Like Like x 1
  37. carlanthony24

carlanthony24 New Member

Seems to me not sure if others feel the same. What ever happens you just have to moan. Bare in mind most UK routes are electrified or becoming electrified. If they come out with WCML I guess you would moan again because its "electrified" but then can drive electric and diesel trains. I guess you would moan also if they brought London Victoria to Southampton out or something like that.

Just can't win with people. Must be fun at parties if all you do is moan.

I guess no one will miss you moaning :).

• Like Like x 2
  38. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Don’t forget Bakerloo, with the option of 1938 stock as well as current.

39. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Be good if Crewe were filled with trains but that doesn’t look like it will be happening soon, unless DTG have some steamy DLC up their sleeves. Just sayin’, expect the worst to avoid disappointment.

• Like Like x 1
  40. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Totally forgot that one, so yeah also the only metro route in game is in the UK camp.

41. OldVern

Traditionally software has bucked the trend when it comes to inflation. I pay broadly the same now for a Blu-ray now as I did 10 years ago. Market forces and what people are prepared to pay is more of a driving factor. If DTG need to improve their revenue stream then they need to up their output with quality content that people want, at the same time not forgetting the previous releases in terms of additional items. No matter how nice it is, detailed scenery etc. a 35 mile commuter route with one train is not worth 30 quid (to me).

• Like Like x 6
  42. aydinbarker

aydinbarker New Member

Does anyone know since BCC will be a starter pack. If someone already has the deluxe addition does that mean they will also have the route as part of their starting route or not?

43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you already have TSW3 then you will just buy the DLC. If you don’t have TSW3 you can buy this route as a starter pack. The two don’t mix and nobody gets the route for free if that’s what you mean.

44. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that these types of projects are simply a means of giving handouts to developers in exchange for bribes "contributions" to the unprincipled, inauthentic, narcissistic, virtue-signalling hacks who sit on the councils of most large cities, just like all their other "green" projects - a way to lower your quality of life while raising your cost of living.

• Like Like x 5
  45. tallboy7648

Matt said similar things as well I believe

46. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

DTG Matt DTG JD DTG Alex sorry for the ping guys but please can we get an update on what is happening with the last of the TSW2 preserved crew updates and timetables? It's been months since TSW3 was released and still nothing has been posted or spoken about them, we just get told details will be in the next roadmap article when it's brought up and that's it.

• Like Like x 3
  47. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

TSW 3 released on the 6th of September its only the 2nd of November so has not even been out 2 months

48. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Your point being? These updates where promised well before TSW3 came to light.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Try to look at it from the bright side: The german routes have to cope with (was it SIX?) dosto versions which can hardly be distinguished.
    All the same looking red cracker boxes on all routes. OK, they count with different bugs, but else you can´t tell one from another.
    The british EMUs at least have character. Most of them are nice looking and distinguishable. Just a thought.

50. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

I yearn for the day that they tackle a longer route at least 100 miles or so, but oh that would not fit in the time frame for them doing routes, which is nonsense since they are the ones who decide the time frame for doing routes.

• Like Like x 1