"technical Reports" Section Getting Ignored?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tsw2, Oct 14, 2022.

1. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Hi,

It seems that there are many people reporting issues in the Technical Reports forum but You can mostly see no response from DTG.

So DTG JD could you confirm bugs reported there are still logged and looked into?
    Not everyone wants to @ a DTG employee or report to the DTG support via email.

Thanks.

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

They have other forum sections to look at and other community tasks to do. They aren't looking at the forums 24/7 and with hundreds of posts being posted everyday they can't reply to every single thing. They are human after all. They are aware and looking at the forums and logging bugs but they can't respond to everything

• Like Like x 3
  3. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

But how do we know a bug is logged?
    I mean it's not like there are 20 new topics there every day...more like 2.
    A quick "thanks, bug is on the list and will be investigated" would be helpful.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There was a whole conversation a while back about DTG clicking the "helpful" button when they'd read it, but this seems to have dropped by the wayside (since Nat and Sam stopped being part of the online team)... All feeds back into the "Are DTG modding /monitoring the forums" for me

5. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The thing is, I see lots of engagement by DTG employees in the PC forum for example but basically nothing in the Technical Reports although people there put lots of work into their reports

6. rennekton#1349

If dtg has an answer to the question, then they'll answer. They still have to investigate the issue, reproduce it, do other tasks, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Most of the topics seem "dead on arrival" there is mostly never an answer. So I guess it's not because first it needs to be investigated

8. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We check them out and raise internally where appropriate, but will often do them in bulk.

The 'helpful' tag was something I wasn't aware was the process, but I'll ask the team to do that when we review in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

This was mentioned a while back on a roadmap stream with Adam and I believe Sam... Maybe not set in stone, but some acknowledgment something is "aware" is always good

10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think it’s just common courtesy to acknowledge a technical issue that’s been raised, so we know the effort we’ve taken has been seen and noted. Whether said issue is ever resolved is another issue entirely.

• Like Like x 3
  11. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, especially because many people put in work for detailed bug reports with screenshots or even videos.

• Like Like x 4
  12. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agree on the courtesy.

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I still also think a list of acknowledged bugs and where progress lies in resolving, particularly with individual scenarios falling over would help.
    As examples, "Chopper & Change" on TVL which to my knowledge is still broken, also as I reflagged last night "Bay Area Breakdown" on Peninsula Corridor/Baby Bullet which AFAIK was reported as CTD just north of Millbrae over a year ago but nothing appears to have been done. Both these scenarios form part of the Journey mode for their respective routes which means an important element of the route experience cannot be completed.

Oh and then there's the various G6 scenarios on RRO which are broken but don't appear to have been fixed. I can't find my post on the one I had trouble with but Maik responded and I believe threw the ball firmly into DTG's court to sort out. Again, part of Journey mode.

• Like Like x 5
  14. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

A game with so many bugs simply needs a bug tracker, especially if DTG don't have enough time to respond in the Technical Reports forum

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

DTG has strongly resisted a bug tracker, perhaps because it’ll need more volumes than the Encyclopaedia Britannica. I know that’s totally unfair, but there are a lot of bugs that stubbornly continue to see the light of day.

• Like Like x 5
  16. rennekton#1349

Also that it's difficult to keep track of all the bugs. Some get resolved instantly and with soo many bugs and stuff, it's difficult to keep track

17. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Well yes, it also would probably not be a good look having multiple pages full of bugs and more new ones get added then older ones resolved. But it would be good for the community who continues to support DTG by buying DLCs

18. OldVern

It does get disheartening when you revisit old routes and find items reported months if not over a year ago have not been addressed. Then (and why I don’t watch streams), the fluffy pink headphones come out to promote the latest and greatest DLC but nary a mention of the trail of problems left in the wake of the previous releases. Spirit Of Steam is an absolute gem in this case. Not only are a large number of scenarios unplayable due to the remote SPAD issue, the issue was carried forward into TSW3 along with a massive oops to the physics. Yet this was another project where during the streams we were told how great it all was, the presenters were bouncing out of their seats with enthusiasm, etc. Where did that all suddenly evaporate to?

• Like Like x 10
  19. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I agree, there was a discussion on the playstation forum complaining about too much bugs being reported outside the technical forum. I guess it has to do with what you see when you go to the technical forum. It has almost no replies so it looks like it's not really being used. Just impressions, not saying it is not being used. The posts should get status badges although I see what status badges brings. "bug X has badge X since date X, why aren't you fixing it" :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG always hype up new DLC, release it often with tons of issues and bugs, promise fixes but then, as the months or even years pass by all we get is a ton of new DLCs....often with many bugs...its basically a never ending cycle at this point.

At least this is how it feels.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  21. ARuscoe

The so called "dovetail flywheel" has been a thing for several years
    TSW is better in that you do get fixes (TSC didn't have them for ages, not sure about now as haven't played it in two years) even if they can take ages and may not always be the fixes we WANT

• Like Like x 2
  22. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Oh TSW is certainly a step up from TSC for DTG. Especially with Signaling and Physics

23. ARuscoe

I was talking more about the "chuck it out with bugs and maybe get round to it later, when we've chucked more stuff out (with bugs)"

24. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Be nice if in the same manner you can choose what platform DTG had a button so they could click "fix released" etc

25. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Correct. At least the signaling/physics is not always totally broken in TSW.

26. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I feel the need to bump this again.
    Technical Reports forum is full of bug reports and again 80-90% of them seem to go unacknowledged.

I somehow have the feeling this whole project (TSW3) is again getting out of control...
    One bug fixed two more introduced. Where is QA?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Again it seems there are 20 new bug report threads since last week and none of them acknowledged.
    This way i think the sheer amount of bugs in TSW3 will get unmanageable for DTG soon.

28. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

it has always been unmanageable :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

While we may not always visibly respond to bugs and reports in the technical section, it definitely does get eyes on the issues - and alot of the time we already are aware of these reports via direct bug reporting come from our support site.

I usually respond when I log an issue, but I have seen mentioned that a 'helpful' react is a good indicator it has been read, so I will make sure to do this as I go through threads.

• Like Like x 1
  30. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

31. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Even my support tickets getting ignored! Sent them back then in the early October, it's been a month now since i sent the ticket.

• Like Like x 2
  32. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Im not sure sending support tickets makes sense. I would post about issues and bugs in the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  33. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I think we need a public bug list / tracker.
    The sheer number of Bugs seem to become or be already unmanageable for DTG.

34. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Hello, let me jump in to help explain this in abitmore detail.

Sadly while these systems are great at showing what the community want, a ranked list would only exclude more core issues than highlight them. We do have internal lists we organise in priority, one with development teams and one with community feedback, which we gather directly from looking at the forums, support tickets and other online media sources.

Sharing our internal list wouldn't prove too useful as the problems are a mix of store related issues and gameplay bugs, and these issues also tend to remain on the list due to cycling through QA teams and waiting for an update release, so it wouldn't function as an active list so much - This is why we gather our feedback directly from forums and work on being the voice of what the community want the most.

An exmaple of a few issues currently on our top 10 list for reference:
    - Various scenarios where achievements cannot be completed
    - Creators Club 100 subscription limit
    - Talent 2 Introduction cannot be completed
    These all have solutions currently being worked on or passing through our QA teams.

Of course we also have a serpate list for longer term fixes too, such as performance, derailments and addons manager, but these are constant improvements / larger issues that aren't a single fix and take more development time.

The best places to find out what we are currently focussed on is either the forums or our roadmaps, which had an update yesterday!
    I hope that helps a little :)

• Like Like x 1
  35. ARuscoe

To be honest, this only indicates what DTG think people are interested in, rather than what an individual was interested in three months ago that they don't have a fix for

I realise "majority concerns" is where the focus is, but for some people that one niggly bug that shows itself every few runs is more consequential to THEM than anything DTG are working on
    For instance I have never saved a game in TSW, I don't play on console and I only play UK routes which are not steam or LUL, so anything not UK, about savegame, DLC manager, Bakerloo etc just doesn't affect me
    The times lighting comes on in the stations in the winter does, so for me yesterday's roadmap gave me very little by the way of "fixes" because what DTG are fixing doesn't touch me in the slightest. Only one sentence given by Matt applies.

This is where a more broader "tracker" would be helpful in single instances. People can see where their particular issue is on the dev, test and publish timeline without either getting completely forgotten, or lost in "red light fixes" for example, where DTG themselves acknowledge there are multiple reasons for a given instance of a red light causing an issue

• Like Like x 3
  36. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I sometimes feel DTG love to fix some bugs but love to ignore others... station lighting for example or missing sounds

37. OldVern

One word, well three actually - Chopper And Change.

38. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I think they just know they can't really fix many of the bugs. That's the vibe I get since these bugs are not fixed since ages.

• Like Like x 1
  39. OldVern

As I've mentioned before, any scenario or run in Journey mode that can't be fixed should either be deleted or at least removed from the Journey ladder. That one on Boston Sprinter where you have to stable the Amtrak ECS #66 is another example. How hard is it for a developer to sit down and rework the scenario so it can be completed? How hard is it for the original route builder or scenario compiler to actually run through their own creations and check it works? I wouldn't release a freeware route or layout in Trainz or one of the other sims without comprehensively running it, testing all the activities or sessions compiled for it even to the point of being sick to the sight of it.

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

One thing that gets forgotten is that DTG continue to develop long after things like timetable are done. So they can make and test their runs all they want, but they're not doing so on release builds
    This may be helped by the auto tester, but even that at the moment is only testing complete timetables rather than starting each run as the players would