Ge C44-9w For Cajon Pass, Bnsf's Most Colorful Diesel.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, I get what you are thinking.

OH NO, NOT ANOTHER BORING WIDECAB!

However, I feel like the Dash 9 for Cajon Pass would be a good locomotive DLC for the route. 1st introduced in 1993, this early GE widecab set up the success of the later AC4400CW, and the GEVO series.

BNSF rosters well over 1,500 of these units, more than any other Class 1 railroad in the US. There's a good chance any BNSF train you see on the mainline could have a Dash 9 in the consist.
    [​IMG]

The Paint Schemes
    Due to the era when the Dash 9 was introduced, it has carried an array of paint jobs on the BNSF roster. While DTG has been stagnate on alternative liveries for TSW, I feel like if they do the Dash 9, it needs at least 3-4 paint scheme that are currently worn by these units.

1. Patched ATSF.

These units were originally delivered to the ATSF and painted in the Superfleet Warbonnet colors, since on the BNSF, their paint has faded quite a bit, and its hard to find them with a matching AC unit. These units are also equipped with Ditchlights below the anti-climber. These units are numbered 600-699.
    [​IMG]

2. "Fakebonnet"
    While still retaining the superfleet Warbonnet paint, these units are lettered with BNSF, instead of Santa Fe. Their paint is usually in better shape than the patched ATSF Units.
    [​IMG]

3. Heritage I
    The 1st "Official" paint of the BNSF. With the original logo and a dark green with the yellow and orange.
    [​IMG]

4. Heritage II
    Probably the most common paint scheme for the Dash 9's. If you see one IRL, its most likely wearing this paint.
    [​IMG]

5. Heritage III
    BNSF's current paint scheme with the modern swoosh logo. A handful of Dash 9s have been repainted to this scheme for various reasons over time.
    [​IMG]

Aside from the paint, there would be also be new stock plus new or modified services that could be added to the route.

Steel Coil Cars
    With Fontana still being a major steel producing city, steel coil cars moving out of San Bernadino would be a nice addition to Cajon Pass.
    [​IMG]

2-Bay Cement Hopper
    With the 2 major cement plants in game, it would be nice to get some more appropriate cars to serve them with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BNSF Autorack
    There's really no excuse to why this weren't included with the route. Right what was wronged....
    [​IMG]

Spine Car
    With the Maxi IVs in game, it would be nice to get some Spine Cars with PROPER US trailers to go with them to make Intermodal freight more realistic. BNSF has their own fleet of spine cars, but DTG could always fake the TTX ones.
    [​IMG]

Services
    -Grain train to Ardent Mills.
    One major industry near San Bernadino that's completely empty is Ardent Mills. Not sure why DTG left it empty, but a loco DLC could make used of the Grain Cars in game to run a unit train to this location.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New 7FDL16 sounds.
    With how well DTG has done with the ES44C4 sounds for Cajon, a new loco DLC would open up the opportunity for new sounds too. The Dash 9 uses a 7FDL-16, which new recordings could also be reused for the already existing AC4400CW, C40-8W, as well as the P42DC should that ever come in the future.

So while the Dash 9 wont give much in term of new driving experience, it could give Cajon Pass a more diverse look to the stock on the route.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The BNSF C44-9W is a good idea for a DLC in the near future. I would like the C44-9W pack to include everything mentioned in the post above. Perhaps we could also see BNSF's rebuilt AC44C4M units. There are 20 of them that were rebuilt from former ATSF C44-9Ws (numbered 600-619). The engines are basically AC4400CWs with the trucks and cabs of ES44C4 GEVOs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

This is needed tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

This is very much my favorite option for a BNSF add-on. I love the Fakebonnets so freaking much, and I think the Heritage 2s are the best of the orange BNSF paint schemes.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Blacknred81

I dont feel like BNSF rosters enough rebuilds for a DLC yet.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and furthermore these Dash 9s also can then serve as basis for CSX UP CN and Norfolk Southern versions for the following routes Sherman Hill/Cane Creek Horseshoe curve Oakville Subdivision and Sand Patch grade. What is missing is a BNSF C40-8

• Like Like x 1
  7. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Upvote on this suggestion!!!
    It would be even better if this suggested DLC includes BNSF 25th Anniversary units.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blacknred81

Those are ES44AC's though. However it wouldn't be too hard for DTG to convert the ES44C4 to a AC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Oh shoot i must be too high and totally forgot that all of 25th Anniversary Units are GEVOs hahaha. But it's clear, Dash 9 would be a nice & much needed addition to Cajon Pass.

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct and for DTG they can use the BNSF C44-9W model to make CSX Norfolk Southern UP & CN Versions since those Class 1s also own them

• Like Like x 1
  11. rango5556

rango5556 New Member

That would be absolutely great. I’m a huge fan of the Dash 9 engine. They are my childhood engine. Nothing beats a beautiful K3LA horn.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rango5556

rango5556 New Member

BNSF only owned the B40-8, they never owned any C40-8’s. They did only a huge ton of the wide cab dash 8 models.