New Rolling Stock And Activities For Existing Routes.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Coppo, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

I sometimes get the feeling that routes are rolled out on a "fire and forget" basis (not strictly true, I grant you). However, there have been a number of routes (SOS being one) that seem to be in need of additional stock and services.
    SOS - needs a shunting loco and some tank wagons.
    MSB - needs to allow use of the log carrying wagon.
    All German routes need Eanos wagons and Otmm wagons types.
    US Routes need some variations on the box cars (different builders/ door types) and a variety of tank wagons, plus a few more switchers.

It would be good if we could get some loco/ stock/ scenario packs from DTG to increase the attraction of the existing routes they have published.
    Undertaking a local freight service on virtually any route (especially SOS) would be a great addition.

• Like Like x 3
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

This is somewhat true for several routes. Over the coming days I intend to go into each current route and provide a rundown of what could be included to increase playability and variety. This will however only cover the UK routes as I don't play any of the other countries content.

• Like Like x 2
  3. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

NTP is crying out for a 25 and 128.

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Riesa-Dresden Tharandter Rampe and Rapid Transit are waiting for a Deutsche Reichsbahn Baureihe 118 119 211 242 Rekowagen & DR Y-Wagen. Rekolok 65.10 52.80 Shunter DR Baureihe 104-106 V60 and Baureihe 230 & 107 made in Czechoslovakia.

5. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Yes a million times. Plus the 123 and 124 sets.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

BNSF Cajon Pass needs a GP60, GP60M-3, and GP60B pack and a few new freight cars including new auto racks, cement hoppers, steel coil cars, and others. Also, ATSF 4-8-4 #3751 (for Cajon Pass) and UP #844 and #4014 (for Sherman Hill and Cajon Pass) are needed in the game with some excursion passenger equipment. A UP GP60 (or GP62 rebuild) could also be added to Sherman, Cane Creek, and/or Peninsula Corridor. An NS GP60 is a must for Horseshoe Curve. A CSX GP60 could be added to Sand Patch as well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Fully agree. Have noticed this myself in comparison to what we know in reality of certain routes and from watching our real life trains.

The variety of box cars could be easily balanced with a few more options. Not all box cars here are double door or plug door refrigerated... some regular 1980/90s high cube and older single door types would be nice.
    Also the Canadian style cylindrical hopper seen in their thousands hauling grain and fertilizers yet now out of fashion & production, but still in use near their 60 year life spans, would be an amazing option - especially in Livery Designer.
    A couple gondola cars regular and longer versions would be nice too for scrap loads, and a regular flat car (non bulkhead) for open loads would be cool too. Tank cars are all generally the same here in North America and basically only deviate by size (being longer or shorter) and/or specific purpose details. Their representation in TSW is appropriate IMO.

Similarly, and I know this is probably a dream more than a potential option, I would like to see a couple more options of caboose (even though they are out of use here since the mid 80s) would be a nice touch for those of us who like them and could run them on certain older routes or routes that could easily be "back dated"... or even in the case of independent smaller railways that often own & use them for private cars and maintenance crew transport - hence they would become popular in Livery Designer and Time Table operations ;-) Canadian cabooses were quite different from the US ones and would be an instant hit with players/collectors. The CP Angus Van, and the CN Point St. Charles cabooses are unique in that aspect.

As for locos, we have a good variety of them, but a few more could be more available. Not everyone is impressed with or wants to run the huge modern monsters. Some of us still enjoy the smaller earlier stuff doing branch line and switching operations, such as the Oakville GP9rm, the Oakville / NEC GP40 & -2s, the Clinchfield SD40, the Cajon Pass SD40-2s (I still recall when they were the "Big Boys" pre monster loco era), the CalTrain MP15 and even the ancient old NEC Amtrack SW1000. These are pretty representative of most units around the country from the 70s to the current time on most railways and I am quite pleased with them; but having them limited to only those routes is somewhat of a disappointment IMO. Many were used by many railways so some interchangeable route use (in appropriate paint) would be nice so we can enjoy them without having to own a specific route that may not otherwise interest us.
    * I would especially like to see the GP9rm added to Livery Designer. * <-- hint to DTG.

If we could add a couple to the general game roster from out of nowhere? ...
    1) I'd like to see the NRE Genset (3GS21B) seen in the CSX PC version of the game (I think it was TSW) become available.
    2) The uniquely Canadian GMD-1 for Oakville would be F'ing Awesome! Some of these are still operating in the hands of private and industrial railways but were not fully retired from CN until the early 2000s. It would be an easy and sensible add to the Oakville route. perhaps even in the earlier "wet noodle" paint scheme.
    3) Canadian National "Comfort Cab" GP38-2s / GP40-2s would also be a nice addition to Oakville and could also be used elsewhere.

I could go on about additional routes too, but they are covered elsewhere in the forums. So I will end here on this subject.
    Good thread, I hope the powers that be take some of this into consideration.

A short explanation of what I meant when I said a route could be "back dated"...
    Basically using the same route but for a different era.
    Example: Oakville is a current day setting but could easily be "back dated" to an earlier time by offering add on older locomotives and cabooses without changing the other dynamics of the route too much or if at all. If the back date is not too substantial - like from the current time to the 90s - it could easily be accomplished with some era specific scenarios/timetable services and the extra equipment. This could be done with most other NA routes by offering a new variety of locos and equipment that extend the game's offerings and overall interest and desire to the public.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

DCZ Riesa-Dresden Tharandter Rampe Rapid Transit Leipzig Dessau section are crying for a Deutsche Reichsbahn DDR Baureihe 211 242 119 118 V60 Steam 52.80 65.10 18 201 locomotives. An East German Commuter train can be made up of DR Dostos and Rekowagen. The long distance trains use Y-Wagen DR East Germany equivalent to a DB Intercity Coach of West German design. Those Y-wagen have two paints Orange and Cream and Green & Cream.

• Like Like x 3
  9. matt#4801

Nice but I have no clue what your going on about mate because I only play the British routes and I'm from England mate.

10. driverwoods#1787

These are routes in Train Sim World that have East Germany Hl signals. If you knew European History Dresden Chemnitz and Leipzig are major cities in German Democratic Republic

11. matt#4801

Ah right thanks for letting me know. The only history of Europe I know is what happened in the 30s and 40s and this probably ain't the place for me to share my knowledge on that.