London Underground - Be Daring!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Asheix, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Asheix

Asheix Active Member

In 2016, the Battlefield franchise surprised the FPS genre by going back to the First World War. It was certainly a gamble to go back to the 1914-18 war when their competition was going to the future. The devs had wanted to do this period of time for years, and they made it work to be one of the best titles of their franchise.

I wonder if DTG could take a leap of faith and try something very different and away from the norm of rail sim. I propose a new London Underground idea for TSW 3 but between 1863 - 1920. That limits you to steam locomotives and early electric rolling stock, and the environment would have been dark and noisy in the early decades. I also imagine it could be featured at the London Transport Museum and could increase the player base in Train Sim World including non-train enthusiasts like myself. I just find the game relaxing.

Possible Lines
    1. The Metropolitan - 1863
    2. Hammersmith & City - 1864 (Part of the Metropolitan)
    3. Metropolitan District Line - 1868 (District Line)
    4. City & South London Railway - 1890 / Charing Cross Euston & Hampstead Line - 1906 (Northern Line)
    5. Central London Railway - 1900 (Central Line)
    6. Waterloo & City - 1898
    7. Great Northern Picadilly and Brompton Railway - 1906 (Picadilly Line)
    Which line would ultimately be up to the Devs of the game, and I am sure it will require a lot of research to even get started on any of them. They would have to take into account of...
    1. Rolling stock
    2. Stations that would have existed back then that are disused today
    3. Station environment, eg. Sounds of trains and atmos, clothing of NPCs, safety and marketing
    4. Signalling
    5. Services/ Timetabling
    6. Train interior
    I'd imagine the London Transport Museum would have much of the list above covered.

Rolling Stock

I couldn't source any individual images of the trains used for each era and line, but this website has everything you need in that regard. http://tube-history.uk/rolling-stock.php

To conclude...

It is a very open suggestion as I do not elect one of the lines to be the one of choice, and all will have their complications due to various reasons such as the line being shorter than it is today. As lines were shorter, you might even be able to have 2 lines that maybe overlap one another such as the Central and Northern Lines.

The late 1950s is the earliest we currently have on TSW 3, and I think it would be a waste to ignore what came before and the origins of rail. The London Underground is one of the most well-known railways in the world with its famous roundel logo that has evolved over the past 150 years.

• Like Like x 8
  2. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

Not your everyday LU suggestion but I love the idea! Maybe early 1900s would be best, either UERL era ( ~1910) or early London Transport era (~1935) would be great in my opinion. By then most of the lines were completed but you'll still have had early stock and steam trains on the met (I think? My LU history isn't amazing)

3. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I think this is an excellent idea, and the suggestion of working with the London Transport Museum a sound one. One can but dream.

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Of these rolling stock Sarah Siddons locomotive & Metropolitan Railway Steam locos are compatible with BML ECW 4TC train with Metropolitan Railway wraps.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestion, though some artistic licence would be needed with physics and sounds.

6. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Now that is a refreshing suggestion against all those ATO wishes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is one of the best suggestions ever.

• Like Like x 2
  8. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Do we need to Drink when spotting Charles Yerkes?

• Like Like x 1
  9. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Not really interested in the tube but this would most certainly interest me, good suggestion mate.

10. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

A man of culture, I see

11. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

I like metropolitan & other London Underground routes except the circle line