Birminham Cross-city: Timetable Deep Dive | Pre-order | Release Day Update

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Nov 8, 2022.

1. shipbiulder#6875

shipbiulder#6875 New Member

Could add the diversion route (the whole of the line) when the northen end of the Cross Country route is closed, easy scenario would be that you are only signed driver for the route and have to take over at the appropriate end.

2. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

Agree byeo . More power to you antony.henley x

3. kanamechidori#8728

kanamechidori#8728 Member

The fact it doesn't even come with a pre order discount is a kick in the teeth.
    and I very much doubt when they said they look at the price for future release, I reckon it'll stay at the norm £29.99

I have a horrible feeling in the future this dlc will still remain empty with no new layers in the future and be seemingly forgotten about

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  4. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I presume you mean DLC as in this article they go over all of the layers for BCC.

5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

So this is a comparison of the 'B' end of Birmingham New Street, from platform 12B. Train Simulator Classic on top, Train Sim World at the bottom.

The first thing that immediately comes into mind is why is the bridge pristine clean in TSW? Either that or there have been no textures applied to the bridge yet?

Secondly, why does the bridge in TSW literally have no support columns? Its defying the laws of physics as the entire structure is floating across all platforms.

It seems the decision to show these screenshots was a serious daft idea, as it gives the impression this is what the final product will look like.

[​IMG]

upload_2022-11-9_23-25-52.png

• Like Like x 18
  6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

This could be down to the fact that Arriva own XC which in turn is owned by DB. DB was trying to offload the Arriva part of their operations for years.

7. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

DTG JD please see the comments above, this is unbelievable. Is this what is expected on release day? There is barely any dullness to New Street. If you could advise further as this is not day 1 purchase worthy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

£29.99 at launch for the game + route made sense.

Why is the route only option for this dlc the same price as the starter pack?

9. woolybanjo#1219

woolybanjo#1219 Member

Never thought I'll need to wear sunglasses indoors but hey it's DTG again who defy logic and common sense. For anyone who has never been to BNS there's a shopping centre right on top of it that has been there since the 1970's I believe.

• Like Like x 3
  10. kanamechidori#8728

kanamechidori#8728 Member

Thats worrying

11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Uh-oh. That looks terrible.

12. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

Doesn’t surprise me. I’ll be watching the stream but i don’t expect to get this route.

13. bence950906

bence950906 Well-Known Member

We haven't seen much of the route yet, but these few pictures are very disappointing - maybe this is not the quality at which the new price should be introduced.

• Like Like x 3
  14. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

They could be work in progress pictures that were from early on in development. So unless we see the Livestream, we won't know what it actual looks like

• Like Like x 1
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I hope you're right- but in that case, posting pics from an early dev build looking this crude was a serious marketing faux pas

• Like Like x 3
  16. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

This is a photo I took at New Street on 5th August 2019. This is how dark the station is, Not the sunlit uplands seen on that preview pic. IMG_20190805_173141.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  17. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

In fairness, the steps pic above is at the platform end where it's open to the sunlight and a lot brighter, but you're right of course; New Street platforms are relentlessly dingy. Hopefully all of this lighting outrage is the very issue they've delayed the launch to resolve (and they'll put some pillars in while they're at it).

• Like Like x 3
  18. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

This is pre-light bake, correct. Seeing if we can change the shots based on post-light bake.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
  19. DTG JD

An updated image for you, based on today's build.

upload_2022-11-10_9-12-9.jpeg

• Like Like x 19
  20. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Looking a lot better now :)

5DD0D0DA-4CBC-4656-9028-8494C3AA6410.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  21. DTG JD

Now you can see why we wanted a couple of extra days to sort it :)

• Like Like x 20
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. Factor41

Lighting looks much better! Still no pillars on that Navigation Street footbridge, though!

stair1.jpg stair2.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  23. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

One of these is a brand new era of train simulation...

24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

SEHS become SKW here in terms of lighting what is good I think. BR o7
    // nie można było tak od razu... :D

25. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Lighting is looking much better.

I will just add that the missing support columns look quite jarring once noticed.

• Like Like x 3
  26. alexjjones6024

DTG JD are the pillars being looked into and implemented by the team before release?

New Street looks a heck of a lot better with the 'post bake' effect. Nice work!

• Like Like x 3
  27. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Looks a lot better thank you.

28. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

You can bet your boots the trademark graffiti will be everywhere though, even in locations where the vandals would have endangered their personal safety. We wouldn't want to stifle the creative freedom of the artists now, would we - instead of actually having them do the job they're being paid for. As it stands, don't think I would have paid £24.99 for this, let alone £29.99.

• Like Like x 3
  29. woolybanjo#1219

woolybanjo#1219 Member

Perhaps in future if you say there's an issue with xyz and then show us a picture of certainly the most well known example where this occurs, can I suggest you don't do that until it's at a good quality. That's not exactly a good way of promoting...well, anything.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That’s much much better. Looks great now.

31. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The post-baked images looks so much better. It would be great if we could get articles for new routes where it shows a few images of the route in a side-by-side comparison on any improvements made during the whole process, at least that way, we can see what's been changed and improved upon.

I personally find it very interesting DTG JD

• Like Like x 3
  32. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

So 2 weeks before release we have to remind dovetail, that there are pillars need to be added?

Just get this route done properly and release it in 2 months.

• Like Like x 8
  33. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

They can add in Soho Depot and maybe Bescot/Walsall while they're at it.
    For £24.99... too :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It still puzzles me how details like structural support pillars in a station can be missed/omitted. We are told regularly that a lot of photographs are used to get the accuracy of trains/stations correct, but then silly, obvious things are not included.

• Like Like x 7
  35. alexjjones6024

What puzzles me is there is no accountability from any one at DTG to say, yeah we got it wrong or to address us, the users that notice this. Sometimes you can put up your hands and say we will get it right.

• Like Like x 4
  36. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Oh fun little suggestion, I like the idea! Its nice to see how a route is getting alive and how it gets build! Rivet does show that kind of things, ofcourse during their DevBlogs, but also via Tweets!

37. max1313

max1313 Active Member

BML,SOS,Harlem line, LIRR,peninsular,Boston, SEHS, just name a few ……. Too many routes that have issues and seemed to be forgotten about. I can’t give them any more money. I don't like what seems to be fire and forget. This is my opinion. I really hope that BCC comes out and runs flawlessly. I really do.

• Like Like x 2
  38. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I do understand the price increase but this one also baffles me. I don't get that either

• Like Like x 3
  39. Factor41

DTG clearly want everyone moving over to TSW3 as soon as possible. They could have given it away for free as everyone was suggesting at the time, but would have lost revenue. This way, you get the incentive of having the upgrade for "free" with your DLC purchase and they get both a full-price DLC sale and the knowledge that another person is in the TSW3 user base (and likely to buy other new DLC). Also avoids all the bitching and moaning of having to find another an extra fiver for those who haven't yet made the move to TSW3. Makes perfect sense from a business perspective.

• Like Like x 3
  40. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

it sounds rather complicated but makes sense in some way. DTG likes confusion I guess. :D

41. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

It makes perfect business sense. DTG have reasons to get as many players as they can, from TSW2 to TSW3, as soon as they can.
    This is one way of doing it.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Factor41

Any purchase (even with a slightly reduced margin) is better than no purchase. That's why retailers always have 3-for-2 / Multibuy / Buy-One-Get-One-Free offers, and rarely have "have something completely free" or "stay at home and don't buy anything" promotions. :D

This way, you have an incentive to buy the route, and they get the sale AND get you upgraded into the latest version. Win-win.

• Like Like x 2
  43. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but that bridge being suspended with no support is unacceptable. How the heck is something like that not noticed by DTG’s developers? Why is it always the players that have to point issues like these out? It raises serious red flags for how these routes are built.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

These things happen all the time in TSW routes. Sometimes they stand out more because of where they are. If those missing pillars are directly in view when starting a service then it’s going to really grate. The errors will mainly be down to how quickly things are made. I’m fairly sure it would have been picked up by someone during development or testing but just hasn’t been fixed due to reasons of time pressures or something similar.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There's something of a progression ( or regression ) going on, I think.

In the early days of TSW, DTG took a lot more time building routes, like SPG, GWE etc. So the scenery elements were more finished, more polished.

These days, they seem to be in much more of a hurry, so they are so anxious to release new content, that they do so, even though the scenery elements might be unfinished or contain obvious errors that they know about but don't acknowledge and don't take the extra time to fix.. They surely know that there are plenty of players who spot these errors immediately, even before routes are launched.

• Like Like x 4
  46. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is why I am very upset about the first preview stream being so close to release. This has been picked up from one specific photo, who knows how much stuff like this is throughout the route? Oh, there will be a lot of stuff picked up on Tuesday... but 2 days for a fix... LOL

• Like Like x 8
  47. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Why are people saying it looks much better? The image on the left looks the same to me. The bridge looks “flat”, not as good as the TSC version and it still seems to be floating.

I suppose this is why they are not having a preview stream until 2 days before release. People see a test build and then complain about it as if it is a final build.

• Like Like x 1
  48. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I hope they didn't

49. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

OMG Unacceptable :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

50. Factor41

They appear to have added quite a bit more of New Street station and the skyline since the first shot, which is pleasing. There are definite lighting and texture improvements too, though these are far more pronounced on the right-hand image - quite striking when they're viewed together. The floating bridge is obviously still an issue, but one I'm sure they can fix before launch, what with the supports only being basic shapes.

Uhh, yeah, that's why they changed it.

Original post:
    NS1.jpeg
    Updated post:
    NS2.jpeg