PC Raildriver Support In Tsw2 - Complete List

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cotax, Apr 11, 2021.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For what it is worth RailDriver could be good for TSW3 and would be well worth supporting but for some reason it is just about forgotten.

2. dhekelian

I agree but while it might not be high precision it could be a lot of fun if supported by DTG and even let the controls to be re-mapped.

3. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Are there any competitors to raildriver that are worth exploring? I never made the investment because it looked kind of cheap and flimsy for the price.

4. sojaan00

sojaan00 Member

Only good solution is using standardized controlling solutions. Unreal engine has build in support for direct input controllers. Why DTG is not using it is baffling.

My best guess is that way they handle example throttle controls is by sending keypresses and using it as analog axis. But this is pure speculation. My worst fear is that DTG has build so much technical debt in to this that without complete and full rehaul of control system we are stuck with poor raildriver for long time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tof70110

tof70110 Member

6. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

TSW3 now has all locos with RailDriver compatibility

7. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous how generic joystick input isn't supported. The RailDriver is a horrible outdated ancient piece of technology (if you can even call it that), and yet Dovetail caters to it like it's something that everybody owns. Simulators like TramSim realize that controller and joystick users are plentiful which is why they've included a mapper, and calibrator for those who want to use joysticks. TML Studios even answered a question in their upcoming S-Bahn simulator that they are looking into supporting controller and joystick users, and the developers of SimRail in their latest Livestream have said they plan to include generic mappers for all controller types which may include joysticks.

Can't say I'm surprised though. What else do you expect though from a company that took until Train Sim World 3 (the 3rd major revision of this game) until we finally have something resembling a competent and user friendly UI. At this point we might as well pray that they get around to it in time for Train Sim World 4, which is maybe when we'll finally have something resembling a functional save system along with it.

• Like Like x 4
  8. dhekelian

Can't speak for TSW3 but in TSW2 RailDriver is a mess despite the promises from Matt.

9. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

It’s not flimsy I use it all the time

• Like Like x 3
  10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There are no other competitors that make the raildriver. I have a one and I find it to be very sturdy and enjoy using it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I see this comment from time to time, that the RD is " flimsy " .

In fact it's quite the opposite, very robust and relatively heavy. Some have been in use for 20+ years, mine about 10 and still in mint condition.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

It's not the RD, it's the implemetation of it -> that is the problem. Some locos are perfect, some are not. HW is the same all time. I think TSW implementation is way too sensitive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dhekelian

I agree, I would say it is quite solid. A few have said the horn lever is the weak point. I think we can agree the weakest point on the RD is the software. I used to enjoy the RD but now it constantly needs configuring and even then I find the throttle\brake and the reverser sometimes all over the place and DTG's refusal to fix the RD really disappointing and all after Matt's initial enthusiasm.

14. Fear-Factor

Fear-Factor Well-Known Member

And i think at this point its very disappointing. We are talking here about ONE device.... not 20.
    Flight sims have to deal with lot of more steering devices and they do it more or less good.
    But here is only one available hardware for this kind of games and even this seems not to be good implemented.
    How the people will be inspired by this poor implementation to buy such expensive device?
    I wanted to buy it but when i read about the problems so i wil not invest into such device to have it standing here on the desk only to watch on it....

15. dhekelian

completely understand. DTG do not need to manufacture any hardware all they have to do is support it. There has been people here that have made their own devices and very good they are too and have their own software cause DTG do nowt to help them. There is other hardware over at 'alanthompson.net' which supports TS1 and has partial compatibility with TSW. Again all DTG need to do is tweak the software so it DOES work.

DTG for my money struggle with the concept of 'immersion'. For such a relative minor move making hardware compatible would bring in new customers and really improve the experience of others. RD was seen years ago as a device that could do just that. Matt was his usual keen self and the software was given the label 'Beta' as DTG gave the impression of wanting to develop it. Now the software is still in Beta FFS and Matt is nowhere to be seen. My guess is he stopped using it a while ago and so it doesn't matter anymore, that was with people struggling to get hold of one in the first place. We were promised so much, like configurable keys and were told things like 'it is simple to do' but no nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fear-Factor

^^
    Exactly! Same thoughts.

Imagine DTG to contact the RD company and ask for support, how to improve or make this device fit for the game?
    Sometimes its not so hard to get help/support. Some companies are quite "polite" and helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crosstie

There's nothing that PIE can do to improve RD for TSW. It's all in DTG's software application which is currently in beta.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dhekelian

While Crosstie is quite right that I doubt PIE can do much DTG have it in front of them and remember DTG said themselves it is a 'simple' tweak to do. Some people on these forums are building their own controllers and configuring their own software. It just beats me why DTG couldn't take the time to implement a few changes.

19. Fear-Factor

I know PIE is not responsible for TSW or other software.

Do you maybe know who has built his own controller?
    Is there maybe an thread about it?

20. Crosstie

PIE does have a support page for TSW2/3, which is regularly updated. This might be useful for new users.

However, because DTG natively supports calibration for TSW, it's up to them to develop it in the future.

Since the current DTG software is apparently moribund, it makes me wish that PIE had written the program for TSW, as they did for TSC.

• Like Like x 2
  21. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

As a Rail Driver owner...it absolutely is. A big heavy metal base with Dollar Store quality plastic toy knobs and handles. I used it for a bit but it was never satisfying.

22. Crosstie

Go ahead, call it any way you wish, but, as has been pointed out numerous times, there are RD's that have been in continuous use for 20 years and are still perfectly serviceable.

• Like Like x 6
  23. dhekelian

I wonder if DTG announcing Alan Thompson is coming on board a way to get out of supporting the RD as Alan has developed his own hardware.

24. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

I dont think he developed it, he is just a suitable platform for it to be sold through.

Anyhow, we dont need yet another propriety controller, we need generic Direct Input support like every other sim under the sun has from the get-go. I presume Unreal engine has that facility built in, so why was it never used?

When TSW2 (not 3!) was first shown on their Youtube channel Matt said they were testing hotas and throttles, etc, and that Direct Input and Raildriver support would be built in, also that an API would be available for people so inclined to get into the nitty-gritty of building their own controllers, etc - listen here in the section of the live stream @ time 1:00:35:

This last week, on their stream, Matt mentioned in passing something about an API but gave no details; we seemed to be forever teased with this, it really is about time something was released.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  25. dhekelian

I mentioned ATS cause if he brings hardware to the table he has to bring software as well and that is what we need for TSW. Matt has said a lot of things in the past. I remember him going on about the RD years ago and how easy it was to do the programming of it and how we will soon get to mod the buttons ourselves. That was a year or two ago and nowt has happened same with the tracker.

Matt is good at promising but not so much on delivering. I agree with you about the API and what Matt said. It seems to be the norm now that when the RD get their attention where they can't be seen to brush it off they promise things they have no intention of delivering. I hope Matt delivers this time but if I had to put money on it..................

• Like Like x 3
  26. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Sure, it may have longevity, but that doesn't mean it's satisfying to use. If you enjoy, that's great. I hope it enhances your experience. But for me, the buttons and especially the levels are tiny, crappy, and extremely toy-like to the point that it does not bring me enjoyment. Yes the base is heavy and encased in metal, but for me personally, actually using and interacting with it feels like a Fisher-Price toy.

27. dhekelian

You have o take into account that the RD was modelled on a US train so driving a European train will only give you so much immersion. For me the RD was and pretty much is the only thing out there unless you build your own which some have done and look amazing.

I don't think you can have a go at the RD, the big problem is the software and that is down to DTG no-one else. Now if someone brought out a UK controller I would pack away the RD to the loft but this is one of TSW's failings, DTG's lack of hardware support but with luck ATS now coming to TSW3 who knows it might change.

28. tof70110

tof70110 Member

Nice initiative and the aspect is nice, let's hope from now on that RD will finally be correctly functional for all the motor cars and trains!!!

29. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

Why hasn't this post been updated? With the first updates to TSW3, all locos got the functionality.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  30. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I am looking to pick up one and I am curious to see how rail driver works with BR612. Can you hold it in the edge until the throttle increases before letting it come into rest position or do you have to manually notch it? I don't think I have any other choice as this is probably the only product on the market but I am just curious.

31. JohnHedgehog

JohnHedgehog New Member

Last time I played it only let me notch it about 7% throttle before going back to the hold position. To get the throttle to 100% I had to move the lever backwards and forwards so it would sit in the apply power position. I haven't played the 612 for quite some time though so something might have changed between then and now.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

The 612 is a terrible implementation for Raildriver. As said above, you have to keep moving the throttle back and forth for each increment. To me it’s not drivable like that and it’s much more playable with keyboard.

In general I really like my Raildriver, but it’s been in beta on TSW for ages and while I’m glad they continue to support it for new trains, I find it to be not as good as TS Classic. I’m losing faith in it ever being improved.

• Like Like x 1
  33. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Yes they need to look at copying over the RD implementation on the G6, same process and whilst not perfect it is far better than the 612

34. dhekelian

I don't know about 612 but I agree as it implies to other trains. Matt and Co have said in the past how easy it was for DTG to configure the RD but they do seem able to get a grip or can't be arsed. It is so frustrating.

35. tof70110

tof70110 Member

It's been more than ten years that they tell us that they almost possible to do everything, already at the time of TSC but forced to notice that it is still nothing or even worse with the new apis available , but no efforts being made to give this game a possibility of using a third party controller, because to be honest RD for more than 200€ is not a reference in terms of quality, no notches to maintain values (brakes, acceleration ) it's at the guesswork, more than unpleasant forcing me to go back to the mouse keyboard by searching on various forums if there is a possibility of playing this game with another controller, but as long as we don't have time for DTG the possibility of being able to create or modify a specific API I think it is useless to procrastinate on the why and how that DTG does once and for all what it has repeatedly promised and that there is not only at the time of TSC but still very recently, so please put your words into action before we offer other dlc at 35.90€ (TSW2 DLC: 29.90; TSW3 DLC: 35.90€, it is the dynamic weather that justifies this increase ???) of roads too quickly and unfortunately as everything that is based on a thing installs becomes it itself !!!
    Thank you in advance, tof

36. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

37. tof70110

tof70110 Member

Hi zappatime,
    Thank you for this information, I had also been able to see on the post of [ Der_Jannik ] where I also noticed your interest in the subject and there are many others but all these brave members are bored at some point with the game's priority api system which would cause crashes also at other levels in the game (not being a developer, but just an electrical technician, so nothing to do, lol) I can't what to wait for DTG if they don't want to do it themselves, at least allow them to be able to access and modify the files necessary for an external device to be able to take control of TSW2/TSW3 like in all the other games, I have the F1 licenses 2xxx and I can just as easily play it without touching any system files or anything else with my keyboard/mouse, a joystick or my Logitec steering wheel and pedals, which shows that there must be a way to do it!!!
    It's been more than 10 years and now 4 games where we were promised the possibility of playing our favorite games with a controller, personally although having RD I went back (not for fun, I assure you) to the keyboard / mouse given the mediocrity with which RD manages the orders and also force to note that this controller really does not want the more than 200 € price at which it is sold given the poor quality of the materials and its assembly (and this is my job) !!!
    Sincerely, tof

• Like Like x 1
  38. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I finally sprang for one and I am using it right now. But the alerter reset button is not working. Is this a known issue or could my unit be faulty?

Edit: No it works. I just didn't get an acknowledge when the train wasn't moving but when the alert came on, I could see it acknowledging it. We are good.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  39. tof70110

tof70110 Member

I wish you good luck for the future and if you could give us your opinion after several trips on different routes and motors it would be a little more interesting opinion for possible RD enthusiasts, the 2/3 months and still everything is perfect you move your accelerator by 1 mm to take 2/3 notches more or less or indeed the "supposedly" possibility of managing your gears and your brakes, well then good luck as a member has already pointed out this controller and at the limit made for the trains of the US continent but absolutely not suitable for European trains as it is configured.Then quality level, those who have an RD, seen that for the most part the guarantee and have you thought about disassemble it to check this so tell you when you talk about SOLIDITY and well-DESIGNED materials without talking about welds and so on and the best we made this kind of article more than 10 years ago but coming from an office of engineering in 2022 is downright outrageous at more than 200€ and in addition who does not work with the distributor who owns the only games the manager (recognizes him after managing him it is a bit too much to ask him unless he recalibrates him if we can call that a calibration, in short, look for the error, wait impatiently to be able to use another controller although I believe in it less and less!!!

40. stanciupushing

stanciupushing New Member

Good to know.

41. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

I've found that on Cross City the 'Alert' button works in acknowledging the AWS only intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - no real pattern.

I wondered whether it was an issue with my RailDriver, but I've tried it on Diesel Railcar Simulator and the Alert button works fine every time.

42. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I ran into same issue. But for me, it doesn't work at all and I have to use Q on the keyboard to do it. I suspected my RD unit as well but it works well on other locos.

43. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

BR 425 - would anyone know how to insert the Master Uncoupling Key (I'm doing the Beats By Bremen scenario)? I've tried circling the area using the mouse; pressed all the RD buttons, and tried the X-box controller... Nothing is working so far...

Update - disconnected the RD and I can now use the key.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  44. tof70110

tof70110 Member

Hi everyone,
    Sorry but to be polite I would simply say: [the DAUBE] with lamentable precision and solidity only the metal case is solid for having disassembled it I assure you that if I had seen how it was designed I would never have bought it now that it is no longer under warranty I try to modify it with components worthy of the name but after that it will have to be able to have an interface fully compatible with TSW3 which is far to be the case although it is no longer complicated like before implementing I/O in TSW3, after why is it not possible yet, honestly I stopped looking for answers to stupid questions since a certain many years already, lol
    This does not prevent you from appreciating the other qualities of the game but as usual DTG adds problems or there are already enough of them!!!
    So, in addition to being a poor quality controller at an unjustified price ~ 300€ (do not exaggerate), in 2023, you cannot even configure it as you wish, but the worst is the only controller ( apart from microsoft controllers) to be recognized in a so-called next-generation game liveX12 Ultimat, ray tracing, etc.
    Hum, hum, let me laugh a little and yet I have been a fan of TS for many years but I have stopped believing in the fly that farts and I am content with my keyboard and my mouse to be able to pass anyway excellent moments with this game that I love despite everything because if I want to play something, well, I don't really have a choice!!!
    Sincerely, tof

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023