Upcoming Release Master The West Midlands!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG JD, Nov 1, 2022.

1. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

LOL! The irony.

2. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Like you said to me previously take that advice you give others and put it to good practice.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I thought there was going to be a price increase after Rush Hour. So no surprise here.

I don't play anything else except one other sort of game. So I don't have to spend $80.00CDN a pop on new games every 3 months so still within my budget. And I don't like US freight or older routes so I have always been picky on the routes anyways.

The other game is Rocksmith. I've basically taught myself guitar and bass using it, that I can actually go and play in bars in a cover band. Thats not bad for an old geezer like me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

A good surprise for me (and many others), would be news of a TSW2 patch for derailments/buffer issues. I would be surprised, but not holding my breath, your firm now has form for dropping the old version.

• Like Like x 2
  5. The route being short is a bit of a disappointment, the depot missing even more disappointment. The price increase! Ok I understand times are hard, things are more expensive they have ever been, electricity is more expensive than gold!
    I'll buy that. Here's hoping the route will be one of dtg's most detailed routes to date.

• Like Like x 4
  6. alexjjones6024

And with raindrops DTG JD

7. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

A comment with sense because it reflect your opinion? Sorry but all i can read from you is that you getting almost personal if someone hasn't the same view and dares to criticize a DTG product.

I respect your opinion and if you all okay with the way TSW3 is going and which way DTG takes in terms of pricing than good for you. But other players are allowed to have another opinion and are absolutely right to criticize. In the end its important that we all can speak freely here in the forum so the guys and girls at DTG get some feedback that they will consider when creating new stuff. We as the players, customers and member of this forum should stand together, even if we have different opinions on some aspects and not 'attacking' each other. In the end we all wanna enjoy the same : a good replication of being a real world train driver.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

it’s called being realistic how long have DTG charged 24,99 for a route how many years ????
    During all those years everything has increased in price all over the world including the staffs salary I imagine. As inflation has gone sky high DTG have obviously had no choice but to increase. Looking at it from a buisness perspective you can do one of 2 things. Increase prices to cover overheads again. Or reduce staffing to lower overheads which in turn slows down production which would then turn slow down the amount of releases we get which would then cause people to complain as well.
    So what would you rather do and if you ram a business what would you do.

• Like Like x 2
  9. alexjjones6024

Because this relates to a business strategy, my personal view is that if you put the effort in quality into the product and this is proven within the product you sell, then you can charge a higher price. However, the amount of issues spotted by fellow users and forum members confirms that an increase should not be conducted until the changes are made. This is why a preview stream should not be so close to release because the issues get swept under the carpet, or are not issued at the time of the official release.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

again take your advice you gave me and kit it to practise please.

11. amnesiac

amnesiac New Member

For people complaining about no Soho Depot, how much would you use it out of curiosity?

• Like Like x 1
  12. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

wait for them to come out with “every trip” just to justify the moaning they are all doing lol.
    Someone up thread worked out 6 trains in am and 8 in on use it out of the whole day lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If people disagree on a topic then why should they agree just because there's some commonality as in the company they're dealing with?
    Personally I don't think £30 is that bad in the current gaming climate. Your mileage (and wallet) may vary

If there are 14 trains on the route then they make at least 28 movements a day as they all have to leave the depot and all have to return to the depot. Any trains that do this more than once a day (say to allow for peak capacities) add two each time
    So out of 200 movements each day, if say 36 of them are depot moves that's quite a high percentage
    I live near Gillingham depot on the SEHS and there are plenty of depot and ECS moves each day

• Like Like x 4
  14. alexjjones6024

Erm, no. You have raised a question and I am replying on a forum. Don't belittle me if you can raise your own comments! I will respond if it's regarding a product.

15. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Take your earlier advise and put it into practise please thank you.

16. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Not all trains return to the same depot nor to go a depot for that matter.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

From an earlier post, I don't think it was anywhere near that; apparently not all of the trains are stabled at the depot, some staying at New Street overnight. If you check the working timetable on Real Time Trains, the numbers are much lower that you'd expect, eg. for tomorrow, four services are terminating there, seven starting there, and one of those goes to Birmingham International so wouldn't be included anyway.
    Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 21.09.14.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. ARuscoe

Yeah I looked at RTT but also note that sometimes it lists the depots in multiple parts.
    Does seem that the 323s get stabled at New Street quite a lot

19. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Just put him on an ignore list and move on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. amnesiac

amnesiac New Member

And Coventry too! One set runs empty at roughly 05:30 most mornings. As well as that, there's only 13 sets available to WMR anyway as they currently run as 6 carriage trains (Not including Sundays here).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

good idea it appears a few others have done as well. Thanks for the heads up.

22. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

What were the differences between 101s and 115/116/117/118s?

23. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The class 101's were low density units with generally two passenger doors per vehicle. The class 115/116/117/118's were high density "suburban" units with doors to every seating bay and were designed for services on commuter lines or lines with frequent stops.

Class 101's would not have been used on the Cross City line by choice, if one appeared it would have been because nothing else was available. Just like they weren't used between Paddington and Reading, although that didn't bother DTG!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. alexjjones6024

1992 they were used and same with the 309's on the Redditch line.

25. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

101s were used at Paddington but they weren't the ideal choice of DMU 26318806870_87634e936a_b.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  26. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Still not seen anything that
    It might be weird for you to learn this, but inflation doesn't and never has worked like this. Bills go, wages go up, but even if it did work the simple and basic way youd like it to, then if we go back to 2017 and compare the price you paid then and the new price, you'd realise that in real terms you are now being asked to virtually pay the same figure as then, basically for the last 5 years DLC has got cheaper and cheaper and the quality has definitely increased, so by your own argument you should now be paying well over what is being asked from you.

• Like Like x 3
  27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Love the way the livery designer tried to make the old 101 look a little bit less archaic by painting a black rectangle across the windscreens, to disguise the fact there were three rounded ones, and make it look like one big modern panel.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Same with the Network Southeast livery on the IoW Class 485, to try and hide the fact that at the end it was a ~65yo train...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. theorganist

Probably rarely they weren't the desired type to run the Paddington suburban services.

They would have been rare as Tyseley had only a few class 101 units in 1992, most of their class 101 vehicles were paired with class 116 DMBS's.

I would suggest that nine out of ten photo's of the Cross City line in DMU days will show a three car suburban unit or occasionally a four car set.

30. alexjjones6024

This is what I found and shows 2 car sets but unsure on the specific class though

31. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that, will watch it properly later.
    The video showed Tyseley based Class 115 (four car), 116 (three car, no headcode box), 117 (three car), 118 (three car, domed headcode box) and 150/1 in Centro livery (like the West Cornwall 150/2 but no front end gangway) on the Redditch branch. A Tyseley 153 working the Bromsgrove - Barnt Green shuttle (through services to Bromsgrove on the Cross City Line only happened in recent years) and an almost new Cardiff based 158 on a Regional Railways service.

The line wasn't yet electrified. The 323's weren't ready when the line was energised so until it was the line solidered on with the remaining few first generation DMU's, any spare second generation DMU's and a mix of indigenous class 304 and 310 EMU's plus imported 305 and 308 EMU's.

Sets were at a premium. One Saturday afternoon I travelled from Perry Barr on the Walsall line to New Street in the rear cab of a single car 153.

Class 116's operated in the West Midlands since 1958. The 115's arrived from Merseyside in the mid 1980's followed by the 117's and 118's from Bristol and Plymouth. Sets were supplemented by Class 127 centre cars made redundant from the electrification of the St Pancras- Bedford line, either to extend sets to four cars or replace worn out Class 116 trailers. Once the lines out of Marylebone and Paddington were over to Class 165/166 operation further 115s and 117s arrived. Some of the 117s, including the Regional Railways liveried one in the video moved on to Edingburgh and survived until the new millenium.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  32. theorganist

These are all high density suburban types which were designed for lines like this. Class 116's were the mainstay for many years but as stated above were altered during the 80's.

I think one of the aims was to not have any sets without a lavatory, the class 116 centre cars didn't have a lavatory so were either replaced by lavatory fitted centre cars, also through gangways were being fitted to units. For a time in the 80's Tyseley sets were numbered to differentiate between gangwayed sets and non-gangwayed sets. Eventually the non-gangwayed sets were phased out.

Also four car sets were formed by adding lavatory fitted centre car to an existing set. These were great fun up Old Hill bank on a stopper, especially in the leaf fall season. I think they were nicknamed slugs.

There was a time in the 80's when some class 101 trailers were running between class 116 motor vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  33. acro

acro Active Member

This may already have been brought up and if it has I apologise. I'm not going to complain about the price itself because it is what it is however I do find it bizarre that the route is identical in price to the bundle that includes TSW 3 if you were buying it brand new. I realise that the starter packs have been £29.99 since day one, but it seems like an odd price mismatch.

Wouldn't it make more sense to charge a different amount on those instead? With how it currently is, the base game is basically being given away for free alongside your chosen route and that seems odd. I guess that's about hooking people into the market though...
    upload_2022-11-11_16-17-20.png

• Like Like x 1
  34. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It's more for those who are new to the game. You only get bcc and no other route. You don't get skw, cjp or sehs or sos (deluxe edition only)

35. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im not a fan of having just 1 preview stream and then having the ambassadors show casing the routes on release. Absolutely no disrespect to any of them, but they can't answer some of the questions people will have over a new route, and not everything can be covered in a single preview stream.

• Like Like x 7
  36. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It's basically a hook to get people to acquire the base game for free but it's a bit insidious for those who already own the game and looking at this £5 price rise. Similar if not quite the same as various insurance companies or broadband companies who offer "deal" prices to attract new customers, but existing users pay more. Best thing at this stage is to vote with your wallet, wait for a sale and/or hope DTG sell so few copies at this price they are forced to reconsider their policy and drop the cost for existing owners to a more realistic amount.

If they need to increase prices fair enough but how about £27.99 to existing owners and bring back the 10% discount for preorder (which would put it back to around what we were paying before).

• Like Like x 5
  37. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I was given to understand that you still get extended SEHS and/or updated SoS if you already own these for TSW2, even on this pack. I only got this from another user though. Perhaps someone from DTG could confirm whether this is correct.

38. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

If you already own sos and sehs you can download the tsw3 versions when you buy the game I'm pretty sure. So you should be able to download them with this purchase and not rebuy them

• Like Like x 1
  39. ARuscoe

I agree. I personally preferred when they used to do two or even three. The first preview should have been a month or so ago when the community could have fed back and things could be changed (including even the New Street lighting, bridge supports etc)
    I think in the past people have been very vocal about "first looks" because they knew DTG said these things were finished weeks in advance, but then continued to dev things right up to the last day (ie hypocritical)

That DTG now do delay some releases to help develop properly was asked for years ago on this forum, so why DTG can't do a "Hey, this is 90% done for what we think, what do you guys think?" and then actually work on it alongside the community would be better than hiding upcoming releases and then last minute putting it on a screen.

I'm also not sure who DTG have actually streaming nowadays. Sam and Nat obviously moved on. JD doesn't seem to drive outside of 4Up so that leaves Matt...

• Like Like x 4
  40. ARuscoe

Nope, this is accurate so long as you stay on the same platform

• Like Like x 1
  41. alexjjones6024

It's a good job they previewed the WCL route before release lol, then it was off sale for 2 more weeks. Hopefully this is a major improvement. I trust DTG far more than Rivet after all.

42. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. But if you are a new player and never played tsw2 or never played the routes, you wouldn't get those routes for free

• Like Like x 1
  43. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't like this last minute reveal approach and the lack of preview streams well in advance for community feedback - it just seems completely illogical, especially now with the promise of post-release patches to fix any issues (which should have been dealt with prior to release).

I long for the days when there use to be lots of preview streams well in advance which didn't just provide valued feedback, but a chance to whet the appetite and really look forward to the route.

• Like Like x 6
  44. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

What I don't like is the ambassadors doing the release day streams.

It should be DTG so they can answer questions on the product that ambassadors can't answer.

Every month seems to have less and less streams from DTG. It's obvious they don't like doing them anymore.

I don't blame them it is after all after hours and since they have to be in the office, for some its a long commute eg. The one who likes to go to bed early and seems to start rushing the stream when it gets longer than 1 1/2 hours.

Sorry JD I still love ya though.;)

But we should get at minimum 2 official streams per DLC from DTG. In my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 12
  45. ARuscoe

The latter I can do without. The former (if that act on the comment and make relevant changes) would actually quell a lot of the shouty angry people on this forum and others.
    Hype is an internet nonsense, getting things right isn't

46. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I don't know why but I feel there is something wrong with their deceleration sound and acceleration sound when you compare their version to the one I hear on the youtube video
    In Game https://twitter.com/trainsimworld/status/1591838545852997634 VS
    In RealLife ,
    The sound in the game sound so tinny and very low compared to the one in real life, also where is the clickety clack sound, when the train run over the track?, that is a big loss in immersion as with other routes that DTG created. :(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  47. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There is very little jointed track left on the UK rail network, apart from a few secondary lines and certainly last time I travelled into Birmingham from the south west it is welded rail all the way, so no joint noise other than over points or crossings. Can't say north of Birmingham towards Lichfield as it's 45 years (!) since I last travelled along there, but extremely unlikely to be jointed track.

• Like Like x 2
  48. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

How much would this route to be on all platforms because with it so close of release please tell us how much

49. andyscotland

It might be ok, in my experience a lot of the emu's on tsw sound reasonable enough.

50. andyscotland

£29.99 I think