Eifelbahn Cologne-trier Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by drnicktgm#1259, Mar 29, 2021.

?
  1. Yes of course we need some old German routes

55 vote(s)
    80.9%
  2. Only if it was on sale

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Sorry but no, I like much more modern routes

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-3-29_9-23-2.png

The Hürth-Kalscheuren–Ehrang railway (also known in German as the Eifelstrecke—Eifel Railway) is a non-electrified line in the German states of North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate running from Hürth-Kalscheuren via Euskirchen and Gerolstein to Trier-Ehrang through the Eifel hills.

Quick Facts: Overview, Other name(s) ...
    The line is predominantly duplicated north of Densborn. Today it is only served by trains running as far as Köln Messe/Deutz station or Trier Hauptbahnhof.

History
    In 1864, the Rhenish Railway Company began construction of the Eifel line from Düren via Euskirchen and Gerolstein to Trier. The section from Düren to Euskirchen is now known as the Börde Railway (Bördebahn).

More information: Opening date, Section ...
    [​IMG]
    Kierberg station, known as Kaiserbahnhof (Emperor Station)
    [​IMG]
    Auw an der Kyll station
    [​IMG]
    Speicher station
    On 1 October 1875, it was connected from Euskirchen with the Left Rhine line at Kalscheuren. Numerous bridges and tunnels on the line as well as the stations at Euskirchen, Weilerswist and Kierberg were built by Hermann Schmalenbach.

The route
    Before World War I the Prussian railway administration planned that the Eifel line would be one of the first lines in Germany to be electrified. But this failed because of the opposition from the military on the ground that the line was too close to the French border. Also, a connection of the Eifel line with the Bonn–Koblenz line near Sechtem was planned, which was also never implemented (this was part of the Strategischer Bahndamm—"Strategic railway embankment"—a plan to build a western bypass of the rail nodes at Cologne and Düsseldorf to accelerate military mobilisation, although only the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen was ever completed).

By the end of World War II, the entire line was duplicated. After the war, the second track in the south was largely dismantled on the orders of the French occupation forces and the track material was taken to France. In the northern section (which was in the British zone), the second track remained in place over almost its entire length, while the southern section continues to be mainly single track. Today the reconstruction of the second track in many places is difficult since its location has been put to other uses, often as a bicycle path parallel to the railway.

Freight
    The Eifel track is still not electrified. This means that freight trains run from the Ruhr to the Saar and on to Lorraine via Koblenz. On 28 December 2001 the last freight train of DB Cargo (now DB Schenker Rail) ran on this route.

Passengers
    Long-distance express trains used to run from Saarbrücken and Trier to Cologne via the Moselle line via Koblenz or via the Eifel line, often continuing to Münster. After the electrification of the Mosel line in 1974, most long-distance trains ran on the Moselle line. Now all long-distance services run on the Moselle line.

Regional services running at hourly intervals were introduced on the Eifel line in 1991 with additional trains north of Gerolstein or Jünkerath. Approximately every two hours express trains or Regional-Express (RE) trains also ran between Cologne and Trier. In 1996 the line was upgraded for tilting trains so that RE services operated by class 611 diesel multiple units could run over the Eifel line from Saarbrücken to Cologne. This project failed due to technical problems with the vehicles, so the RE trains from Saarbrücken continue to operate to Koblenz with a connection in Trier to diesel trains over the Eifel line to Cologne.

Vehicles
    Until the 1970s haulage of express trains was dominated by steam locomotives of class 39 and 01, while freight traffic was operated by all classes of Prussian freight locomotives used in the Deutsche Reichsbahn era, especially the heavy class 44s. They were gradually replaced by steam locomotives of class 50 and 86. Passenger locomotives of class 23 were added from the 1950s.

With the onset of dieselisation of the line locomotives of class 211 and 216 were usual and from the 1970s until 2001 class 215 locomotives operated on the line. Between 2001 and 2009 some class 218 diesel locomotives ran on the line. In addition, from 1964 to 1980 class 624 diesel multiple unit operated over the line.

Up in the 1950s, trains with Prussian compartment coaches ran on regional services. These were replaced by Silberling carriages hauled by class 215 diesel locomotives, which were later superseded by class 218 locomotives running on the Eifel line along with class 644 diesel multiple units until 2009. Some trains were at this time operated with class 612 and 628 railcars. No trains hauled by class 218s ran after the timetable change in December 2009. Instead, they were operated by class 628 multiple units. Class 54 and 81 LINT railcars have been used since December 2013.

Current services
    The Eifel line is served daily by following Regional-Express and Regionalbahn services:

• RE 12: Eifel-Mosel-Express, running three times a day on the CologneEuskirchenGerolsteinTrier route,
    • RE 22: Eifel-Express, running hourly from Cologne to Gerolstein via Euskirchen and continuing as the RB 22 to Trier
    • RB 24 Eifelbahn, running as additional services in the peak only on the (Jünkerath –) Gerolstein – Trier route.
    These services are operated by DB Regio NRW, using Alstom Coradia LINT 54 or 81 diesel multiple units the timetable change in December 2013.

[​IMG]
    Class 628 operating as Eifel-Express (RE12) in Kall (2011)

[​IMG]
    Class 644 in Euskirchen (2006)

[​IMG]
    Class 612 operating as Eifel-Mosel-Express in Kall (2007)

[​IMG]
    Class 218 operating as Eifel-Mosel-Express in Kall (2006)

[​IMG]
    LINT 81 in Köln West (2014)
    This route would perfectly fit in inside the game for players that like long routes with many curves and many station, in the future it should get electrified but that will be in 2030, now there are only diesel multiple units and also steam trains that run in there on holidays, it would be great if you could add this route, because this is my homeroute, I am always traveling on this route every day and it is always fun and I would really like to take over a train and drive on it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 27
  2. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Older German routes would be great! Not only that, but we still don't have a German diesel route. This is both, so great suggestion! :)

This also connects two of my suggestions, but those are both set in the modern day.

• Like Like x 6
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this from what I am seeing the diesel trains here can be layered on to Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden as the Aschaffenburg Hbf port shuttle.

• Like Like x 2
  4. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Yes please, with the n-Wagen

• Like Like x 5
  5. drnicktgm#1259

If we could get all these 5 trains than we would have a lot of layers for the route and a lot of traffic with mixed trains

• Like Like x 2
  6. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

Yes, and in my opinion these diesel locomotives are the best that DB Regio has to offer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. drnicktgm#1259

There is also steam included on the route but only on Holidays, in 2010 I think there was an steam connection between Cologne and Trier every weekend, I also saw these trains from my garden

• Like Like x 1
  8. drnicktgm#1259

I would say that's this route should get added in two parts, the first part is from Köln Messe/Deutz to Kall or maximum to Gerolstein, and the second part would be from Gerolstein to Trier, the reason is that this route is very long and the trains need to get loaded all the time so a half route would have more performance efficiency

• Like Like x 1
  9. cadeshr6s

I like this idea

• Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That first picture with the traditional loco hauled got my juices flowing! One of the lines I always wanted to travel over but never did. I believe there is a very short stretch in Zusi 2 and there may have been a payware Trainz version at one time but otherwise is calling out to be made in a modern sim.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jolojonasgames

This route really seems like a good introduction to German diesels, something we desperately need to offer more variety. I especially like the look of the BR 218 with n-Wagen :).

• Like Like x 3
  12. drnicktgm#1259

13. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Hopefully TSG’s 232 will release the first half of this year, hopefully.
    That should quench some old German thirst, but we still need an old route!
    Perhaps pre PZB so I don’t need to panic every time I pass a signal…

• Like Like x 1
  14. cadeshr6s

I would more like to see the route with diesel multiple units. Because it has more flare

• Like Like x 2
  15. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

You know, PZB exists since the 30s (then called Indusi). And the first version of the 232 was built in the 70s. So....i don't think your wishes will be granted :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I see reading about the 612 it does operate over this route so could be layered in alongside more traditional traction.

The Chemnitz route is nice but we still need a truly mountainous and preferably single track German route to operate over.

• Like Like x 2
  17. drnicktgm#1259

I'm not sure of the route has GNT because the new DMUs The 620/622 that run there tilt in curves so I don't know if the track is layers like it or if the trains really tilt to go quicker, but still I would wish to have the route in 2005-2009 with the Br644 Br628 and Br218+N Wagen and also on weekends or holidays the Br612

• Like Like x 2
  18. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

They were separate ideas but ok…

19. cadeshr6s

No there is no GNT at this route but several years ago, a few services were driven by BR612

• Like Like x 1
  20. drnicktgm#1259

DTG if this route will be the next route upcoming to Train Sim World I would pay double the prise, because this route means a lot to me, and it will probably make a lot of people happy because this route has a lot to offer

• Like Like x 2
  21. drnicktgm#1259

• Like Like x 1
  22. drnicktgm#1259

I have an idea on how everyone that lives near that route or drives with the same trains can help to create the route. You could record audios, make pictures and maybe some of you are train drivers on this route, this could help DTG and TSG a lot to create this route

• Like Like x 1
  23. drnicktgm#1259

Maik Goltz does TSG have a forum, where I could suggest this route?

24. drnicktgm#1259

The future of the Eifelbahn looks bright, with ongoing investments and improvements to modernize the infrastructure and enhance the passenger experience. Here are some developments that are currently underway or planned for the future:

Electrification: The Eifelbahn is currently undergoing electrification, which will improve its environmental footprint and make it more energy-efficient. The electrification project is expected to be completed by 2025.

New rolling stock: The Eifelbahn is also expected to receive new rolling stock in the near future, which will provide passengers with more comfortable and modern trains.

Digitalization: The Eifelbahn is also being modernized with new digital technologies, including a new digital signaling system, which will improve safety and enable faster train speeds.

Expansion: There are plans to expand the Eifelbahn to serve additional destinations and connect it to other railway lines. This would increase its accessibility and make it an even more important transport link in the region.

Overall, these developments demonstrate a commitment to the Eifelbahn's future and a recognition of its importance as a key transport link in the region.

25. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Diesel, old, amazing stock! Great suggestion The route itself is also a pretty one, amazing to see some old big diesels driving with a beautiful landscape in the background!

• Like Like x 1
  26. drnicktgm#1259

Since the "editor" is a thing now, maybe there are some players who like to create routes for TSW and might also like to help to create this route, I would really appreciate that :)

27. cadeshr6s

I hope so too

• Like Like x 1
  28. drnicktgm#1259

68e18d18-b902-4612-a7ef-49dcd91433ae.jpeg aeee4bd7-be7b-48e3-ae96-19b99322c7e7.jpeg

My friend @tylerzme drew a livery for the Eifelbahn (It is available on Creators club) and gives a nice overview on the route :)

29. cadeshr6s

I love the coat of arms of my birthtown and the radio channel which I still here every morning, even after moving to Dortmund for my vocational training :)

• Like Like x 1
  30. drnicktgm#1259

It's great to hear, that this livery has an nostralic effect!

• Like Like x 1
  31. drnicktgm#1259

jolojonasgames, what is your opinion on the current german diselroutes (Mainthalbahn and Niederthalbahn)?

32. drnicktgm#1259

DTG Lukas how makable would this route be (if you would deside to create it) and what kind of challenges would come up in creating the Eifelbahn? :D

33. jolojonasgames

Niddertalbahn was a great release, absolutely love it. Maintalbahn looks promising, we'll see about that one. After that I'd love a more mainline diesel route (mostly double track, bigger stations), perhaps with a diesel loco.

• Like Like x 2
  34. drnicktgm#1259

That's why routes like the Eifelstrecke and of course some other routes would come in handy

• Like Like x 1
  35. drnicktgm#1259

Here is an Onride video from Trier to cologne. It was recorded during the 80s and it‘s really nice to watch