Modern Day Great Western Express

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tehangrybird345, Oct 27, 2022.

1. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

Today I’m suggesting a rework of GWE that would take place in the present day, with a possible expansion past Reading.

This is the suggested rolling stock:

Class 800:
    upload_2022-10-27_10-56-38.jpeg

Class 387:
    upload_2022-10-27_10-57-22.png

Class 70:
    upload_2022-10-27_10-58-35.jpeg

Each locomotive would do the same tasks as the previous locomotives included (800 for high speed, 387 for commuter, and 70 for freight)

Layers are pretty straightforward, the 66 can sub in for the 70, and the 70 can sub in on other routes. There can be the possibility of rail tours, but since it’s a high speed line, I doubt it. The HST could possibly perform them. And of course, freight stock from other routes can be layered in.

That’s all for now, let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 20
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Can only speak for myself but if GWE got a workover/extension I would rather it went retro. Last thing we need are yet more Electrostars and the Hitachi "Knotweeds" are nearly as unloved. A Paxman engined HST would be much more appealing.

• Like Like x 5
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Oh for love of chocolate biscuits, not again.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

This is a good idea, something like Island Line 2022 but for GWE.

• Like Like x 3
  5. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I’d rather have a new route than a recycled one. I really wish that IOW was just the first and last route to be recycled

• Like Like x 3
  6. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Boooo! If you want old routes then would you please... Make Your Own Thread!

• Like Like x 2
  7. TSW Nathan

Lol

8. OldVern

Who made you a moderator and you're not the OP either. Plus it's not like I suggested setting it back in steam days.
    And as someone else indicated above there are already plenty of threads requesting a bland modern remake of GWE, did we really need another one?

• Like Like x 3
  9. TSW Nathan

I never said I was mod. Nobody did but if you want a older version then you should suggest it yourself. I'm just saying. Another thread asking for a modern GWE just shows how much (most of) the community want it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you want it to run further I suggest making it all the way to Swindon 77 miles from London Paddington because it's the last shared stop with Swansea bound services and Bristol Temple Meads trains. Didcot Parkway end of the 4 track setup.

• Like Like x 3
  11. OldVern

As you wish but the whole point of a discussion forum is to actually have a discussion... That might well include counterpoints to what has been proposed. If I did start a thread about a retro GWE (which I'm not about to as there's far bigger route priorities for DTG to look at) I certainly wouldn't' stamp my foot if someone came in and said, nice idea but prefer a different era.

12. TSW Nathan

FYI, that's not what I'm doing. I'm just saying you're suggestion would get more attention if it was its own thread

13. tehangrybird345

That’s a good idea

• Like Like x 1
  14. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The rework would likely involve remodelling most of the stations (since many were upgraded and lengthened to support the Elizabeth line) along with a completely different set of rolling stock (you would want the Class 800/802 and Class 345 at a minimum - the Class 387 we practically already have). Any extension to the route itself would be welcome but it might come down to a choice of including the Thames branches or an extension west to Didcot, Swindon or Oxford, since having both may be too much for a since project.

Hopefully we can see this one day, particularly for the appeal of including part of the new Elizabeth line, but for now other new routes should be prioritised over rebuilding existing ones in my view.

However, it might be an ideal project to feature as a core route in a future iteration of TSW, like what happened with SEHS.

• Like Like x 5
  15. TSW Nathan

Personally, I think core routes should be new routes and not extensions. This should just be a DLC for those who own GWR or those who don't. Like IOW 2022 Class 484

• Like Like x 2
  16. seagull81006

seagull81006 Active Member

Whilst i do think we should have a modern GWML, i'd prefer to see them do the entire Cotswold Line from Hereford - Oxford (Or even Didcot) before they do it

• Like Like x 1
  17. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

If they would do something GWR modern day I would love to see Reading-Cardif! We arleady got London Paddington-Reading, yes ofc its set in 2017? not sure, but its no new area that would come then!

• Like Like x 2
  18. TSW Nathan

That would be cool

• Like Like x 2
  19. tehangrybird345

It can certainly be a different line, but having it take place modern day would be nice, even if the rolling stock isn’t as well known or received. Tbf we would still get two new trains.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TSW Nathan

Oops. I want it modern day too. Must have missed something when I read that post.

• Like Like x 1
  21. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

Tbh mate he was just spitting facts l

• Like Like x 2
  22. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

This is the better idea. The current GWE we have in game is considered a modern route release as far as TSW is concerned as the line was in that state at the time of the route’s release in-game. Why do modern, modern remake of a modern route? That seems boring.

Remaking the route in a more interesting era, with more interesting stock. I’d probably push for a Valenta HST myself ;) If they did an older variant of the route, they could port over the Diesel Legends timetable too so we get a timetable variant thrashing Westerns in a more suitable environment.

I definitely want to see the Class 70 in TSW though. The IETs I could give or take, they’re a lot less interesting than the stock they replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If they do any more GWE it should NOT be the London end. There's plenty more action out West that will give us some traction we could then use elsewhere such as the Voyager, Class 158 etc. And yes pls on the class 70, bout time we had a modern freighter that isn't a 66

Or it could show a lack of imagination...
    Personally I'd prefer a proper network where routes could run off in multiple directions using interesting stock and that's something London really lacks on the GWE. There are really only three types of train that run the GWE from Reading inwards for the most part, class 80x, 345 and Electrostars
    Give me Bristol or South Wales. Get some freight going. Get some locals and regionals that can be used up north or outside of the London sphere. A 170, 153, 155 etc, or go up north and make a 185, the new CAF units and so on.

24. driverwoods#1787

Good point and for the Modern version it must end at Swindon 77 miles from London Paddington Station. That way we drive Oxford & Cotswold services to Didcot Parkway Swansea & Bristol Services to Swindon. Player control to Reading is the Taunton Penzance WCL & Newbury services. Layers GWML 2015 gives 66 166 & HST to the GWML Paddington Swindon route if made. That way Class 166 has to run behind a 387/2 GWR Green and Class 66 freight following a Class 70 freight or selected Class 70 services are replaced by a GWE Class 66. I based that on Riesa-Dresden 143 being the more dominant one on RSN

• Like Like x 1
  25. ARuscoe

You seem to have missed my point completely... I don't want the London end.

• Like Like x 1
  26. driverwoods#1787

Get it now. That means GWML Bristol Temple Meads-Reading distance is 81 miles (130 km) allows Bristol services to be driven to the end station. Swansea services to Swindon Oxford and Worcester services to Didcot Parkway.

27. ARuscoe

It does???
    There's a lot of rail that GWR covers which isn't necessarily starting or ending in Paddington.
    Make Portsmouth up towards Temple Meads, or Plymouth towards Cardiff, or the Severn line from Newport to Cheltenham, or Stroud to Birmingham, or Oxford to Worcester...
    In other words, it doesn't have to be the mainline, in fact for me that's the most boring part, especially once you get between Reading and Bristol where there are few stations and not that many freight yards either. Get out to the west country where there's more going on

• Like Like x 3
  28. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Who's we?

• Like Like x 1
  29. OldVern

The old farts club, aka the Electrostar and Hitachi Knotweed non fan club! :)

30. TSW Nathan

*facepalm* lol. Ok.

• Like Like x 2
  31. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I can't stand anymore electrostars but the 80xs I would genuinely like to see. I mean you will never beat a deltic or a HST but over the past few years possibly due to my daily exposure to them I have developed an odd fondness for them.
    On this route though if it was to be 'remastered' I would push it back a few decades as like others have said there is no point moderising a modern route.

• Like Like x 3
  32. ARuscoe

Not sure on that sentiment in full, but when the route being modernised wouldn't expand the game overall I would agree. Update NTP to modern standards with modern rolling stock and I would be happier

• Like Like x 1
  33. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

There is plenty of reason to choose in favour of either a COMPLETELY diesel version of this route (pre 1995) or a fully electrified version. Admittedly, there were vastly more variety of types using the route pre 1995 compared to the current day but each era has its own uniqueness. I personally remember with great fondness, using this route every week in the early 1990s to visit family and get my BR diesel fix and long to revisit memory lane. However, I see it unlikely that DTG will add anything else in the form of dlc or do any extending or updating of this route. Perhaps one of the 3rd party developers would like to give it a go?
    As for the route we already have, there are a few classes that would fit perfectly for both GWE and DLOGW but so far we are yet to see any of them.

34. tehangrybird345

Maybe it would just be better to pick a different section of the route that can use the 800, 387, 70, as I do agree with a lot of the points

• Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

In fairness, a modern GWE route is a very popular suggestion by many players it seems

• Like Like x 2
  36. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I suggest the Orient Express branch to be included.

but no joking

I love reworked SEHS. This one could be playable too :D

• Like Like x 3
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Very popular indeed but a lot of the suggestions don’t really change what you can do with the route. This one just changes the trains that run on it but the experience would be the same minus the very satisfying sound of diesel engines. There could be more length added to the route for a longer drive but the most interesting bit of the route is already covered with what we have now and I don’t see a Class 800 being an improvement on the 43 to be honest. More of a downgrade in gameplay in reality. I can just imagine driving the same services we can drive now but with a less impressive and less immersive experience, and a longer drive wouldn’t make up for that if the new version was longer, which it would have to be to sell.

I don’t see the point in making a worse version of the route just because it’s slightly more modern, and let’s face it the scenery would probably not be as meticulously placed and as finished as it is in the original if they did make it now. That’s the reality of these ‘upgraded’ versions of GWE, they would not be as good as what we have now. GWE is fine as it is.

38. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be a less immersive experience. It would be a different experience. People do seem to ask for a longer version of GWE when making these requests which is understandable as the current route is way too short

• Like Like x 2
  39. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Exactly because people were underwhelmed because Core routes should be something brand new. Extensions were a long desired thing but they introduced it at the wrong time. If they had swapped Cross City lines release and the SEHS extension release people would have been more satisfied

• Like Like x 2
  40. TSW Nathan

I agree

41. ARuscoe

Yup, and I would have felt justified at paying a bundle price for it. SEHS extension is all well and good (and acknowledged a lot of work put in as a rebuild/extension over the TSW2 version) but still...

• Like Like x 1
  42. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Something tells me that Just Trains will take over the alteration of this route.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

I think the best timetable will be in 2019 and the rolling stock class 43,800 and 802 for express service class 387 for regional service to reading,class 166 and 165 for regional service and a extansion to bristol and 70,66 for freight service

44. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I think people ask for this because GWE never lived up to its full potential. Even for its time period. No Class 360's (with reason), no class 332's (With reason), No class 165's, With the 165 there could've been 2+3 units, No 3+3 unit 166 services. And no class 387 (They started operation in September 2016), and no class 180.

• Like Like x 3