Non Uniform Increment In Price ( For Everyone Outside The Uk )

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Shackamaxon, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this is possible, but can one simply opt to pay in US$ with their credit card and then get a better rate? Surely it'll cost less than using your local currency, wouldn't it?

2. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

The Steam matrix is merely a suggestion, not enforcement. They can opt out of it on their wish.
    Moreover, they are aware of such mismatches due to their long history in game development.

• Like Like x 10
  3. PseudoStalker

PseudoStalker Well-Known Member

So no more replies from DTG? Are they satisfied with this unfair pricing policy?
    Someone gets + 15-30%, someone + 100-500%. Hey DTG, guess who keeps buying your bugs? Yes, this is your main paying group of people, but you have lost a few people around the world. You don't go bankrupt, you just spit in the face of this minority.
    You can go to Steam and set the regional prices manually. I understand that it is unprofitable for you to sell to countries such as Ukraine, India, Argentina, but show respect to those who have already bought your products. Do not take away from them the opportunity to continue completing their collection.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 14
  4. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

If this gonna be the new standard pricing practice from DTG, i think I'm gonna leave them for good. Unless they do or say something about the price.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

The thing you have missed is how profits and shareholder dividends have soared through the roof over that time period, paid for by the real-terms pay cuts those workers have been forced to take. Part of the reason for so many strikes is how these businesses could have increased worker pay at least in line with cost of living and would STILL have been extremely profitable just not as profitable as when you're picking your employees' pockets.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Steam charges prices based on region, not just currency. It is against Steam ToS (and probably several local laws, depending) to use a VPN to pretend to purchase from a different country and will get your account banned for repeat offences.

Cheers

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn’t want to get into all that side of it and end up having a rant and getting into the politics of greed etc. Austerity didn’t need to happen and has been used as a ruse to divert money from the pockets of the poor into those of the rich. I really don’t know how we keep voting for the people who enable this but here we are.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Shackamaxon

This is unacceptable and pathetic.

Members of staff monitor these forums and threads at all times. Any form of difference from their policies invites an immediate ban.
    But they haven't issued any clarification, no communication ( or even an expression of grief that a certain part of the community is indirectly being left behind ).

I wonder if they treat their 'Non-British' employees in a similar manner...

Ironic part is that we aren't even a minority...
    There are a lot of ( Non-British ) railfans around the world.

It's their ( questionable ) business decision to avoid developing TSW as a platform where train enthusiasts all over the world can contribute to the game with all sorts of content. ( I wish that the creator club would evolve as a 'Railfan only' social media someday, even if I'm not there to see it; possibly... )

• Like Like x 3
  9. Shackamaxon

And whom will they blame for mismatching prices on Epic & Steam ? ( See OP )

Who's responsible for that ?!
    Inflation, Liz Truss or Kremlin ?!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Callum B.

Epic takes a lower cut for UE games on their store. That could be a contributing factor.

Cheers

11. Princess Entrapta

Yeah, but I don't imagine by quite the percentages we're seeing here.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Look, people: it isn't just inflation, it's international exchange rates, which in some cases have gone completely crazy. Although the GPB has sunk relative to the US $, it has held up quite a bit better than some other currencies, which have cratered. The Argentine peso has lost over 40% of its value just since New Year's. If you live in one of those countries I'm sorry, but the price of ALL imported goods is going to spike for you.

• Like Like x 6
  13. bence950906

bence950906 Well-Known Member

Yes, I checked that too, and if you compare the price of Steam and Epic there is a big difference.
    Example TSW 3 standard edition:
    Steam:44.99€=18269HUF
    Epic:13800HUF=33.98€
    But this was already a problem when TSW 2 was released on Epic, I was disappointed to see the price was much cheaper than Steam, but I had all the DLC on Steam, so I had to buy the rest there.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  14. Shackamaxon

Gentlemen, forget about imported goods. The prices of other games on Steam haven't changed recently.
    Why TSW is the only thing hit by international conversion rates ?

For reference :-

Cities Skylines is available for 899 INR ( without discount ) nearly half the price of BCC
    ( At its original price )
    Capture.JPG

Good old TSC for 569 INR nearly 1/3rd price of BCC:-
    ( At its original price )
    Capture1.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

Boggles my mind how people simply do not understand Capitalism. Supply + demand = profit. Then into the mix add competition and as far as I am able to ascertain, DTG has none to really speak of, so they are the price setters and we, the people are simply price takers. "We have it, you want it? Here's the price."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shackamaxon

With due respect, you missed the point made in OP.
    We are not discussing the price of BCC. It's about the discrepancy between the currencies.

Request you to stick with the discussion...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shackamaxon

I'm afraid that 'Epic taking a lower cut for UE' is definitely NOT the case.

Attaching some content released for TSW before the matrix revision :-

Horseshoe Curve on Epic for 709 INR
    Capture.JPG

Horseshoe Curve on Steam for 699 INR
    Capture1.JPG

The price difference is 10 INR ( In Indian context, that's the price of a chocolate candy ). So this wasn't an issue before...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Shackamaxon

Thank you for coming up with this !
    Exactly the point which deserves some attention from DTG, the reason to create this thread in the first place.

( Requesting everyone, to check the difference between prices on Steam & Epic and post it so DTG and everyone in the community can understand the severity of this problem. )

Hopefully, our fine gentleman will understand this.

Nobody is against paying the price.
    What we are discussing is just another idiotic bug ( like red signals and derailments ). This time they messed up with finances instead...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Shackamaxon

In Switzerland

20. Shackamaxon

Another one

21. Shackamaxon

In Indonesia

• Like Like x 1
  22. Shackamaxon

In Japan

23. Shackamaxon

In Ukraine

24. tof70110

tof70110 Member

I don't know what justifies this increase, I too had already noticed this kind of increase with the license of F1 2xxx also at Steam which also skyrocketed so should we expect a normality of this kind of "wild" increase because I was listening to a poscast last night on the current problems due to general increases and according to this gentleman, a great economist "before the eternal" this was in no way inflation as it is a we know him normally (after I am not an economist but according to him, there was a lot of short-term speculation by people, see states, to destabilize market confidence, in short, another big m.... ..e, I see the conspiracy theory arriving at high speed, which I do not adere at all, so I prefer to skip these explanations, whatever they are, because indeed we have not already had tiles but which have not generated this kind of reaction. , I think the wisest and to wait to have s much more real and meaningful explanations than anything we hear today) personally I'm afraid it's simpler:
    TSW2 and these DLCs €29.90 (excluding pseudo quarterly sales)
    TSW3 and these future DLC 35.90€, skin or single journey at 6€ etc... the badge merchant what!!!
    There is more than to see the rest although unfortunately we can't do anything about it!!!
    tof

25. Conductor B

Well, I never said anything about using VPNs nor about pretending to do anything. I assumed Steam would act the way my credit cards sometimes act when abroad. I'm often asked whether to use the local currency or my own.

Here's another thought. There are third-party sites that sell Steam keys. Could one go to such a site in one's local currency and possibly get a better deal? (That is to say, mightn't one of those sites have a proper currency rate?)

26. Shackamaxon

Why such workaround ? Why can't they just fix the problem itself ?
    My understanding says that piracy starts with workarounds like this...

27. Callum B.

It doesn't make sense any other way you've described it. Why pay the local price but converted into a foreign currency? That doesn't change the relative cost. That just adds foreign transaction fees.

Cheers

28. Conductor B

Oh, I agree that they should fix the borked rates. One shouldn't have to use a workaround. I was just trying to figure out if there's a way to fix it yourself in the meantime.

I definitely don't condone doing anything related to piracy. Surely there are other licit distribution channels (third-party resellers) other than the Steam Store that have "normal" exchange rates?

Ahh...I tried!

29. Princess Entrapta

And then your bank lists it as "Non-GBP trains fee" :p

30. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

With ALL due respect, I am on topic. DTG sets the price, Steam issues currency exchange rates. All Capitalism my friend, no matter how you look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Shackamaxon

Thank you for your point...

Exactly, there is a platform that's offering fair prices. It's Epic Games Store. ( Please see OP )
    The problem is that a lot of people have purchased all the DLCs on steam so far.

Just out of curiosity,
    Is there a way to buy the DLC from Epic Store and use it with the steam version of the game ?

• Like Like x 1
  32. Shackamaxon

Thank you for your response, gentleman...
    Let me make my point.

TSW is a product made by DTG. They reserve the right to sell it at the price which they determine fit.
    This is Capitalism.

TSW is being sold to players at different prices on Steam & Epic, depending upon their currencies.
    This is garbage, which needs to be taken care off.

33. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

So I want to buy a tin of beans, Asda sells them for 56p and Tesco 60p. Should I write to Heinz and them their pricing policy is garbage?

• Like Like x 2
  34. Shackamaxon

Gentleman, why don't you refer to the OP before you make a post like this one.

The price difference for a DLC is up to 9 times between Steam & Epic in some countries.
    We're not talking about 56p & 60p here.

Please understand the context and choose a suitable example to demonstrate your point.
    As a friendly advice, it'll save you from some potential embarrassment.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

DTG is using Valves conversion rates, as Valve is a US company, it is not unreasonable to assume their conversion take USD as the original currency. US is among the least affected countries in post-covid and UA-Rus war (because there are net producer of fossil fuels, including gas).
    Argentinian peso lost 38% to the US dolar last year.
    UA hryvnia los 28% to the US dolar last year, and because of war, the economy is generaly in bad shape.
    Japan Yen lost 17% to US dolar in last year
    Swiss franc lost 1.5% to US dolar in last year, and the dip was much bigger just month ago, where you get less then 1 dolar for a swiss franc

Yes, DTG doesn't have to use the Valve matrix, but honestly I feel most people uderestimate how much of an effort it would be for DTG to go over each region and figure out a "fair" price, considering the inflation and big swings in exchange rates. It is quite effort for a company to do, especially if there are not staffed to actually do it. The last part is very important, if everybody from the marketing/management site is actually fully utilized, then who do you assign the mammoth task to?

And yes, Epic prices are different, because maybe Epic did not yet update the conversion matrix on their store. It may in the furutre, it may not.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Shackamaxon

I would politely disagree to that.
    A lot of titles I see on steam with content being released after the matrix revision still bear a reasonable price in my currency.

Nothing personal, but this claim seems very similar to what I have heard elsewhere :-
    'Abolishing slaverly would be much of an effort because the supremists would have to onboard new labors by paying them a fair price'

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Winzarten

You're really comparing abolishing slavery to adjusting prices for a leisure luxury item? Wow....

• Like Like x 5
  38. Shackamaxon

You're really okay with the silent treatment a UK based company is giving to rest of the world ? Wow...

• Like Like x 1
  39. Shackamaxon

I'm not comparing anything, just stating an experience.
    Moreover, the people most affected from this issue are my fellow Indians and friends from Argentina, South Africa, Indonesia, Japan and countless many...
    ( Oh wait, why is this a familiar feeling ?! I guess we all have a connection... )

• Like Like x 3
  40. Winzarten

I understand that there might be reasons for why DTG is not adjusting the prices themselves, they can be economical, they can be practical. But in the end, TSW is a leasure luxury item, not a basic need. And the worst thing that can happen to you is that it will not be viable for you to buy it. If it is the same for the rest of the world, then it might become practical for DTG to actually adjust the prices.

To put into context of your previous qutote, making decissions based on economics makes sense and is absolutely fine for a small SW company producing entertainment SW for a very niche market.

It is not fine (to put it lightly) to make economic excuses when preventing basic human rights to a group of people, on the scale of whole country society, just because you could enjoy "free work".

41. Shackamaxon

Exactly gentleman, definitely one of the above is the reason. But why haven't they communicated this to us. That's the reason we are feeling ignored and abandoned.

I sincerely request you not to make statements like these.

Come to India, this is exactly what our history teachers tell us. This is how these people started their long vacation at my place. ( We celebrated the 75th anniversary of their departure this year, so hearing this again is offensive in a way ).

• Like Like x 2
  42. Shackamaxon

This is how it started

This is how it ended

I don't want to see it again

• Like Like x 1
  43. Winzarten

Dude, if the statement that it might not make sense for you to buy a freaking video game is offensive, but comparing racial based slavery to a small studio making economical decision is fully ok, then maybe... just maybe... you should take a step back.

• Like Like x 2
  44. Shackamaxon

With all respect, I'm not stepping back.

Because I find it disturbing how they are silently ignoring their Non-British community.
    Even more disturbing is how some people are trying to justify that it's okay and we should resign in submission that we don't belong here / can't raise our voice.

Thanks for your efforts though...

• Like Like x 2
  45. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

I mean if the price increases by just 25-30% max, it's still okay. But holly molly, nearly 50% more expensive compared to TSW3 Base Game? (From my currency perspective IDR)

• Like Like x 2
  46. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It can't be that difficult to work out the GBP exchange rate with the relevant currencies without parsing everything through a USD exchange rate intermediate point. The currency graphs are fairly clear, and this is why Sony changed their prices for everyone except the USA, you have to take the USD out of the equation.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Princess Entrapta

For the arguments about the steam matrix working off USD exchange rates, the actual USD/INR exchange rate has shifted 13% over the last two years, which doesn't really explain an 85% increase in prices.

• Like Like x 8
  48. Shackamaxon

Thanks for bringing up the shift in exchange rate. I forgot to mention it, among all the other chaos.

• Like Like x 1
  49. tof70110

tof70110 Member

post tsw3.png
    Unfortunately no, to date it is not possible (unless proven otherwise) to buy from Epic and to link your purchases with those of Steam for TSW3 and others because two different distribution platforms and commercial policy also but who is it? is !!!
    Sincerely, tof

Attached Files:

50. Shackamaxon

That's what I suspected.
    Anyways, thanks...

• Like Like x 1