PC Long Island Poll And Opinions So Far.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 410nick, Nov 20, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Could be better

54 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. Not interested

21 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. 410nick

410nick Member

What's up guys, I know the game just released and I'm excited for yall. I cant wait to play this on my Xbox soon. Most likely this will be my favorite dlc as the Trains resemble the Budd model subway cars from my hometown Baltimore, Md. My question to you guys is, how are you liking LIRR so far? Also feel free to talk about your experiences since launch.

2. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I've not bought LIRR but I've watched a few other people playing it.

The first thing I noticed is the lighting sometimes looks really weird, the highlights being completely blown away at times and at other times the game looking very flat, almost shadowless.

The second thing I noticed is that the world seems dead. It's supposed to be New York, 'the city that never sleeps', yet I didn't see any cars driving around, no animated scenery, it seems lifeless and without the character of New York. It also recycles a lot of the assets from NEC and Heavy Haul and relies on them too much, so instead of having a world rich with new assets you get that feeling of deja vu.

Lastly it comes with all the usual bugs we've come to expect. Parts of the track were popping in and out of existance and for some reason DTG have modelled the third rail with twice as many isolators as it has in reality. There is precipitation occulsion missing in one of the stations and in some of the tunnels there are ambient occlusion issues.

Overall it doesn't strike me as very exciting and looks a bit bland, especially with just the one piece of rollingstock included. If you haven't got RSN I'd get that instead, it looks beautiful, has lots of new scenic assets and includes many items of rollingstock.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. 410nick

410nick Member

I wholeheartedly respect your opinion. The only Dlc I dont own is Heavy haul ( Dont own a PC yet) and Wsr. Once they release the editor I think things will be a little better for you guys. I still will purchase this upon release and hope they continue to do patches not only for this route but existing ones as well. I'm still new to the world of train simulation and understand the console is limited in certain capabilities. But I know the Xbox one still has alot of untapped power that can be harnessed by DTG once that unreal engine is completely learned. Until then I'm going to have to enjoy what I have for now and purchase a PC when I'm caught up on Bill's and other necessities. Thanks for your review Draftsman.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  4. MJLevy1118

MJLevy1118 Member

I'm loving this release! Of course it's not perfect, the world is a little dead, some users have gotten signal bugs, there aren't automated announcements, etc. There are some things that could be improved, but compared to other TSW releases, this one is definitely the best and demonstrates that the DTG team is still committed to an immersive user experience.

What I like about this DLC:
    • The route and train build quality is overall quite impressive.
    • The route looks like the New York area. The platforms are grimy, there are weeds and clutter next to the tracks, you see construction works in progress, hear police sirens in the distance, and the foliage along the route is appropriately dense.
    • Sounds are great!
    • There's a good sense of physical immersion within the game.
    • I'm a commuter train fan, so I love having a whole lot of stations to stop at along the route.
    • I appreciate that we were given two different branches of services to choose from.
    What could be improved:
    • Well-modeled as the M7 is, a variety of trains to run would be greatly appreciated.
    • If running to or from Hicksville, it's hard to tell from the service selection screen which services make which stops.
    • There could be more cab sway and train rocking movement as the train gains speed.
    • In-cab radio chatter would enhance the sense of realism.
    • Automated announcements, in any form, would tremendously help the immersion level.
    • The cab camera is positioned too far back from the window.
    • The in-game map is not helpful.
    • NY Penn and Atlantic Terminal's platforms are not shielded from the weather.
    • It'd be cool to be able to poke your head out the window at stations to observe passengers boarding the train.
    • The surrounding scenery is very detailed close to the tracks, but doesn't extend out very far. Also, there appear to be mountains off in the distance in the western reaches of Long Island.
    • The route could stand to feel more 'alive' in terms of passengers at stations, cars along the roads, etc. A few users have commented that there aren't very many AI services, but I do understand that having a lot of AI services severely depletes the game's resources.
    Overall, I think this DLC is the best yet for TSW. It's not completely perfect, but in terms of the route choice, build quality, variety of services to choose from, and attention to visual and audio detail, I think this addon is a solid win for TSW. Without a doubt, it's the best up to this point. This route features plenty of American heavy urban and suburban mileage with a lot of stations to stop at, each of which have their own distinct identity, and it's all built well, so in spite of a few potential improvements, I'm a happy camper with this addon!

• Like Like x 6
  5. 410nick

410nick Member

Thanks for your review MJ! Dtg just announced that a console release will take place next Tuesday. Now I dont have the biggest insight when it comes to developments but maybe there will be a hot patch on steam for PC to integrate the rest of the missing features due to optimization for the consoles. Maybe I'm wrong but saw someone speaking on that as a possibility in another forum section. All in all I know the PC community expects a bit more from DTG and I can understand that. I'm just grateful that us console users get to share this experience and journey with you guys. PC and console users may not always see eye to eye, but I'll always recognize that without a PC, or some of its specs, a console or its games wouldn't exist. I've been in worse gaming communities but this one is where I come to for a piece of mind. As long as we all can continue to agree to disagree or respect each other opinions, I'll continue to support everyone's opinions in this community and support DTG as well. Talk to you soon buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

This is the first piece of DLC for TSW, I’ve purchased since GWE, I echo all the points above, it’s fantastic, US routes aren’t usually my thing, only really into UK stuff, however a suburban/urban commuter route such as this is right up my street.

The M7 model is fantastic and driving it is very immersive! Keeps you on your toes!

My only gripe is the following and I have mentioned this on a thread before on TSW in general but for me it was more noticeable on this route;

I’m getting a lot of flickering textures/jelly cab and jaggered edges, not that it makes the game unplayable but it’s frustrating.

My PC spec is:

Radeon RX 580 Series
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
    Asus AM4 PRIME X370 PRO Motherboard
    8GB Ram
    Windows 10 64bit.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

I voted for "could be better"

I am a bit disappointed, before the release on the screenshots you did see a busy route and full yards.
    In service mode it feels now emtpy and not like a busy route, all the yards are emtpy too.
    The route is well done but in service mode it feels like another rapid transit.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I have to say I'm quite disappointed.
    So far, I've completed the tutorial, two services, and the first scenario. Timetables in the scenario felt off, not reflecting the actual travel times. In services, they seemed fine. I had trouble keeping on time while obeying line and in-can signal speeds though.
    AI passengers have trouble getting out of the M7 as they seem to warp around the doors a couple of times before appearing on the platform.
    Something about the lighting seems off to me as well.

I would be able to look past all this, but the main issue for me is the fact that the world just feels dead. The "always-bustling" "busiest" "extraordinary hustle and bustle" looked good on the screenshots, but the copy I got simply doesn't do any of those things. The lines are almost empty.
    I understand this is due to the game's performance, but in The City That Never Sleeps, these limitations really stick out.

Before RSN released, there was a livestream showcasing the route. This time, there was none, only after release. I guess I should have waited. Will do with the next route.

The M7 train is fun to drive around and seems to be modelled very well, even though the sounds are really silent and the cab sway could be more noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, the DLC is solid and if you can look past the empty rails and streets, you will enjoy it if you like US commuter routes. But for me, it's a let down after RSN when I compare the promo material with my actual in-game experiences.
    I'd give the route 6/10 and the train 9/10 as a review score.

Below is a sight you'll see often when traveling around "The always-bustling Long Island Rail Road"
    TSW_Caelthar_1542819861_00.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I have copied and pasted my response from another thread, but is an explanation as to why the network doesn't feel like a network, and hopefully with enough traction, DTG will address this:

Now that I have had more time to play this game, I would also like to point out that the system feels empty because not only are the Huntington Branch trains missing, but Dovetail have not added any AI trains to depict M7s that would typically run on the Far Rockaway/Long Beach/West Hempstead/Babylon Branch.

One of the most common things to see for Westbound and Eastbound Jamaica services are trains pulling into the station together at the same time for passengers to make connections at Jamaica for whatever train they are taking next. To make passenger travel less burdensome for people who require Brooklyn/other branch's service, they typically line trains up together on neighboring platforms so people can change trains by just walking across for convenience sake.

The lack of these ancillary AI services have neutered the iconic phrase "change at Jamaica" and as a result makes the LIRR feel soulless. Just something to keep in mind. DTG could even add these in as drive-able services as shunts from whatever yard the trains from Jamaica originate in, or as essentially shuttle services that they have done, but instead of Penn to Woodside as it exists in the game currently for Port Washington trains, it would be from Brooklyn to Jamaica. They could even add the trains that originate at Penn and make them terminate at Jamaica for crew change for Rockaway/Long Beach/ect. This would add almost an entirely new dimension to the game and would add a significant amount of more driveable services.

In addition to that, there are no parked AI at all, as we should be seeing Hillside Support Facility populated along with Sunnyside Yard which should feature parked Amtrak ACS64 trains. Jamaica station's side tracks should also see inactive AI trains on the side tracks during rush hour, but none are apparent.

I realize that these changes would probably take a while to implement, but adding all of these extra services in as driveable services and AI would make the network actually feel like a network.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Refunded. Thats my opinion. I'm tired of their advertisements not meeting actual product quality. I'm not purchasing anymore DLC from DTG. I bought everything, I also got a refund for the last DLC. I still have everything else, except these two now. It's nice their little patch skipped any HH fixes also.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

While I agree the route does feel rather empty, I took another look at the pre-release screenshots back when the DLC was announced and I am not seeing anything that we didn't receive.

The ghost towns have been in TSW back when it was first released last year, this DLC hasn't been any different. I think we need to see wholesale updates to the core of the game before we start seeing bustling routes etc

• Like Like x 2
  12. ThreadBear

ThreadBear New Member

I'm pretty happy with it.The route is fundamentally solid with replayability enhanced by the various different realistic runs you can make.

For $24, it was very good value, but I would have paid a fair bit more if they had included another 20 mile branch like the remainder of Ronkonkoma or Babylon.

I'm also not concerned by the less than authentic scheduling of the services . When Dovetail eventually releases its editing tools, I'm sure perfectly authentic schedules will be made by a modder.

There are Huntington Branch trains, they're just mislabeled. I know I've seen at least one local 'Ronkonkoma' train heading into the Port Jefferson branch after departing Hicksville.

Better empty than for them to use low detail static props that are more akin to cardboard cutouts.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can poke your head out. Press the arrow keys while seated in the cab.

• Like Like x 1
  14. giogurto_grande

giogurto_grande Active Member

Overally an okay DLC, the M7 looks well made and we finally got a few branches. But my problem is that the route is advertised as one of the busiest ones in the world but in the game there's not much going on. Take a look at this announcement article: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/tsw-lirr-24-7-railroading . Search for words busy and busiest. 3 and 8 occurrences, respectively, in the article. People were led to believe that the traffic was going to be very intensive, but it's not.

This is straight up false advertisement. And because of that I'm not going to preorder anything from DTG anymore.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

im frustrated with this DLC as the actual train drives a dream, most the stations look brilliant.....BUT......
    im not from the USA so have no knowledge of how the signals and speeds work. so using the alerter and everything turned on trying to be realistic just fails you, it never tells you to slow down in the right places and also takes forever to lift a speed restriction? why?

2nd one for me is the lack of life when your driving above the 'busy' roads there is no people on the street and 3cars sat at a red light which never changes and they dont move? soooo frustrating as i normally stick to UK content but gave this a go but you cannot drive without the hud on which for me again is unrealistic.

hope they have some fixes soon, as the train itself is brilliant.

• Like Like x 2
  16. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one concluding this. I like to drive with the speedometer hud off too - for me it’s more immersive and after all that’s why they gave us the option. I assume most like minded players seeking max immersion will also want to drive using the safety devices like the ATC in Lirr.

If I’m understanding the ATC correctly the ladder of numbers on the dash that illuminate advise of the maximum permitted speed, but you still have to obey the relevant line speed, which is often lower. With there being no physical trackside speed signs, without the HUD on you seem to have no way of seeing the line speed limit. Maybe there are no trackside signs in real life on this route, but then how do the drivers know? Surely they are not expected to memorise every speed change location? Am I missing something here? Can anyone advise?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The drivers know because memorizing permanent speed restrictions is part of becoming qualified on the route.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The issue with that is that DTG don't provide an 'employee timetable' for the route. So you're basically stuck playing it arcade-style with the HUD.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

Thanks for your answers guys. Stuck with the hud on this route then I guess. While I like the realism, im certainly not planning to try and memorise it all! :o

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Well, you can disable the speedmeter and enable the distance to next-speedlimit, so you still have the warning on speedreduction, and if you need to, you just take a short peek at the speedmeter to see the actual linespeed limit.

Most speedlimits on the main branch are simple to remind.
    - on strait line 80
    - on strait line with branches merging or crossovers, biger stations 60
    - around jamaica 35
    - inside jamaica 15
    - pennstation 15
    - tunnels to pennstation 60
    - most curvy track 60
    - line switch or branching 30
    ect..
    some switches branch at higher speeds, some at lower, some curves have lower limits

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. bobsr

bobsr Member

I like the LIRR, however the service mode, which is my favorite part of TSW, is lifeless. So I voted for could be better. DTG you must populate these routes for the PC users. Please, put in an slider so that we can adjust the amount of people, traffic, that our equipment can handle. Thank you.

• Like Like x 12
  22. rftech

rftech New Member

I second this

• Like Like x 2
  23. hightower

hightower Guest

I’ve been very very critical of TSW for such a long time and haven’t touched it for months. However, the other day when the ‘mega patch’ came out it spurred me to take another look at it and try some of the 3rd party mods that have started appearing, particularly for GWR (my favourite DLC).

Despite the glaring and sometimes massive issues that remain with so much of it (like that damn AA flicker when stationary), I found I was actually enjoying it so took the plunge and bought RSN given the positive reviews. It is indeed very good. Enjoying that, and I can barely believe I’m saying this, after a ‘sod it’ moment I paid full price for LIRR this morning.

Got to say, I like it. Yes it’s got bugs (it’s TSW after all), the world is dead, the route is too short (again!) and there are nowhere near enough scenarios for £24.99, but there are definite signs of deliberate, albeit slow, progress. The sound, in particular, is a step forward and the game runs much smoother than it did. I’ve put a bit of effort into getting a grasp of the American signalling system and it’s absolutely transformed my enjoyment of all 3 US DLCs. I’ve played the tutorial and am on the second scenario but it sounds like the service mode will be a bit of a disappointment. We’ll see.

For me at least, for the first time in months I’m actually enjoying TSW somewhat. Hopefully, the chorus from this Train Sim World survey today is so loud that DTG and the dev team can no longer stick their heads in the sand and will up their game accordingly.

Anyway, much more importantly this document was very kindly made by CactusJuice (one of this Forums members - I hope you don’t mind me uploading it here) a while back and pages 35-40 on speed limits and signalling have transformed my enjoyment of NEC and LIRR. If nothing else, read those pages to get the most out of the US routes.

I hope it helps...

Edited to add CactusJuice has done a document specifically for LIRR & it can be found here...

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/long-island-rail-road-signal-guide-unofficial.13687/

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  24. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Dovetail should have extended the route from Hicksville out to Port Jefferson or Ronkonkoma hopefully Port Jefferson or Ronkonkoma will be on TSW in the future

25. SimonM719

SimonM719 Member

well I do like this route, but I, like others, are hoping that there will be extensions to all routes either by DTG, or by 3rd party after editor arrives

26. mrchuck

Yeah I totally agree with you on that hopefully dovetail will release Ronkonkoma,Babylon,Montauk or Port Jefferson sometime in the future fingers crossed.

27. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Probably even if you cross all yours 20 fingers that would not be enough... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  28. mrchuck

29. mrchuck

Well hopefully they’ll add the Port Jefferson route or the Montauk route when they release the Dm30ac Locomotives.

30. mrchuck

I would like to see Port Washington,Long beach,Far Rockaway,Babylon and ronkonkoma someday on train sim World in the future.

31. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Purchased LIRR today and currently installing. Gonn give it a go tomorrow. It looks nice though the stainless looks a bit more like chrome, itd be nice if they were grimed up a bit and a few cars with painted urban "art" on them

LIRR is huge all over the island but this one stretch in game looks like it can be mundane , just a 25 mi straight line basically

Im a fan of curves

32. Anthony Pecoraro

But there are branch lines.

33. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Yeah there are, i played a few scenarios this morning and nice. Tunnels can be fun too, and there are plenty of those.
    I like the feel of the M7, she is quite nimble accel and decel
    Gonna try some svcs later today, im liking it so far

• Like Like x 1
  34. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

So far, really enjoying it. had a couple of issues with Windows not allowing the full screen to take hold properly causing TSW to hang as something else is disrupting the gaming process!! Typical Windows, but the route itself is nice, the full 324 mile route would be a nice addition. Doubtedly?

The service mode is the best so far, with services one after the other as a player; can sit around have a smoke, a coffee before the next run which is nice, I feel the Rapid Transit ones aren't as flowing but will need to try more. So far 8/10

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  35. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I did so many rounds on the LIRR but I found that the morning services on approach to NY Penn will just crash to desktop. Other than that it's really smooth, the waiting for a service to start element is great, OMSI had been doing this for years with an active 24 hour schedule depending on map etc.

I do feel that the console market is whats the hindrance as TS2019 has longer routes due to the more memory, processor and GPU limits, PC is the way to go with this sim, it is a great simulator most people play other games on console then trade or sell them, whereas PC gamers hold onto our games.

Thats just my opinion, console is a quick thrift throwaway market imho

36. Anthony Pecoraro

The reason for the shorter routes is because of the time to make them.

• Like Like x 2
  37. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I gather I hope once the editor is out someone native to NY extends the line

38. Anthony Pecoraro

That won’t be possible.

39. mrchuck

Port Washington or Port Jefferson would definitely be a great route on train sim world one day.

40. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

41. Anthony Pecoraro

UE uses cooked content to help keep the FPS stable. Cooked content can’t be edited. Routes, scenarios, service mode, and trains are cooked content.

42. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Seems like a connundrum but never the less I look forward to what's to come, I am new to UE4 myself so forgive me in not knowing. Its good to get a constructive response so thank you

• Like Like x 1
  43. kny26

kny26 New Member

Agreed!

44. mrchuck

I hope there’s a dual mode diesel locomotive because that would mean that Port Jefferson,Oyster bay,Greenport or Montauk could come.

Attached Files:

45. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Matt said that they can't make DE/M30AC because there is not enough info about it available to them. Yet I do know an LIRR engineer, perhaps I can ask him about start-up procedures and overall feel?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  46. mrchuck

I just hope that they’ll release some Lirr locomotive soon in the future Matt did say that they were building up a library of references for the dual mode diesel locomotive back in October 28th of 2018.

47. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

Well the only reason why i got TSW was for the LIRR DLC honestly and for me the only thing worth, is driving the train... there's alot to work on for example...

1) many signal bugs... i have pass thur sections on the track where for example lets say its 4 tracks you are on the 3rd track and u pass a signal for the 4th track it would turn red as u pass but ur on the 3rd track..

2) Lack of Speed limit signs... i dont remember seeing any except at leaving hicksville station..

3) it seems this game predicted the conavirus..no life in service mode.. and u will never run into a red light unless at jamaica station or the last stops. No type of challenge sadly....

4) seems to be the AI isnt smart i seem them pass lights and go right behind a train during journey mode..

5) I dont think the dispatcher feature works honestly..

bottomline.. if you just want to drive and dont care for any type of life around you ingame.. im sure u will enjoy it.. empty yards.. empty stations and empty roads.. i guess now u can roleplay driving during the conavirus epidemic on the new MTA Essential service station :)

• Like Like x 2
  48. Anthony Pecoraro

Number 4 can happen irl.

• Like Like x 1
  49. mrchuck

I hope they’ll add some new scenarios on the lirr Branch in the future like with the Babylon or Huntington Branch trains with the M7 locomotive.

• Like Like x 2
  50. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

There are MANY more problems with the LIRR DLC especially many services in timetable mode and yes u mentioned empty stations including Hunterspoint Av and Long Island City(hence ppl been begging for already a whole year for a locomotive DLC of the DM30AC or DE30AC needing to serve those particular stations but excuse is they dont have enough info which I find out total BS)....one example is a specific service i forget the time but it's from Hempstead to Penn and leaving Jamaica next stop is Penn but u stuck following behind a LOCAL ass train on the local track delaying ya schedule....and theres many more especially the Belmont Park one

• Like Like x 2