Will New Processor Stop Stuttering??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodge27, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Rodge27

Rodge27 New Member

Hi I’m looking for some advice as I’m new to pc gaming and train simulator 2019 in particular. I’ve upgraded my pc somewhat to run the game but I’m still experiencing stuttering which is taking away from the enjoyment somewhat. My question is, for you more experienced gamers out there, would upgrading my processor alone help or do I need to bite the bullet and get a whole new gaming rig?

I’m currently running
    i5-6400 @ 2.7GHz nominal
    Windows on SSD, Train Sim on it’s own SSD
    16GB DDR3 at 1600MHz
    GTX 1050ti 4GB DDR5

I’m considering upgrading to an i7-6700 @ 3.4GHz

Many thanks in advance.

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Upgrading from i5 to i7 may not be straightforward, since other components on the motherboard would need to be compatible with the new processor. Looking at your present specs., you would seem to have a more than adequate system for TS2019. I may be wrong , but I have my doubts that a higher spec rig would guarantee to solve the problem with stuttering. First, check that all relevant drivers are up to date, and that the BIOS doesnt need updating . Unfortunately, a certain amount of stuttering may be present from time to time and can be very difficult to eliminate completely when using the higher graphics settings - although this varies from one PC to another. However, I'm not speaking as an experienced gamer - perhaps some gamers would like to comment -- but only as an experienced electronics technician.

3. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Rodge27,

I agree with Gordon7000, you already have a good enough system for TS19 and upgrading to a 6700 won't offer you much of a benefit that you'd notice over the 6400 you already have.

It would be useful to understand more about the stuttering you're experiencing. Could you explain more about it? Is it stuttering whilst you're driving along or is it as you're panning and moving the camera? Or both.

Best, Steve

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yes, a processor WILL make a difference, expecially as there is a huge difference between a core i5 and a core i7 generally, let alone 7 million clocks a second more.
    That isn't to say that it will eliminate stutter as it depends when that's happening and why. I would start with drivers and BIOS updates and then maybe look to eliminate things like "tile stutter" which is normal from "other stutter" which is not.

Personally I run a much lower spec machine, but then I limit my framerate to stop the power race that TS inherently has in trying to chuck out the most FPS no matter what whereas I would prefer it to run as true to time as possible (I've had points where for every game second, about three seconds actually pass)

5. Rodge27

Rodge27 New Member

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your reply. The stuttering occurs at regular intervals when just driving along, quite frequently as well, at least every 20 seconds. Moving the camera around whist inside the cab doesn’t seem to make any extra difference, however if I move to the external view then it usual stutters as soon as I do.

6. Rodge27

Rodge27 New Member

Many thanks for the reply. I believe that everything on my system is up to date but I will double check. As for the processor being compatible I have done a little reasearch to check this and believe it would be ok. The system I have, a pre-built one, has the i7 processor I’ve mentioned as an option.

7. Rodge27

Rodge27 New Member

Thanks for your reply. Interesting that I’m getting varying opinions. I would certainly like to try some other options before shelling out on a new processor. How to you go about limiting the frame rate like you do?

8. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Hey Rodge. Its possibly worth checking out your favorite games and asking/researching the following- how many cores do they use? FSX for example used to use only 1 I believe, so a fancy 8 core processor while looking great, is actually not fit for purpose. Instead a processor with good single core performance might be better. Regarding ts20xx specifically, im not sute how many cores it uses. There is also the option of adjusting steam launch options to try and get a game to use more cores- Arna3 is an example of a game that really benefits from that kind of thing. Sorry I cant be more help- Ive actually uninstalled ts20xx as I currently have a silent hunter 5 addiction going on.. while waiting for traction updates to TSW ;)

9. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Shamelessly borrowed from a Steam thread:

10. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

the stuttering you may be experiencing is the assets loading in to the game as you go along the route nothing you can do about it that's how the game works

11. capncol

capncol Member

What I can't get my head around is that (for me at least) this only happens in the 64 bit edition. The 32 bit edition is much smoother but is a bit hit and miss as to whether the game crashes before I reach journeys end. At least I can choose, shorter routes with less traffic (smooth) or longer routes with AI (stuttery).
    Also still can't get the frame rate limit to work on my PC in the 64 bit edition. There has to be something that I need to do to sort this out and I am determined to find out what.

12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I have detailed this on other posts...

Create a shortcut on your desktop to the railworks64.exe
    Right click the shortcut and then select properties
    Go to the shortcut tab at the top
    In the TARGET line edit what's there to be as below

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\RailWorks.exe" -FPSLimit=15
    This assumes the default installation folder so amend as you need
    The thing to make sure of is that the -FPSLimit=15 is AFTER the second set of speechmarks and that there is a space between the " and the -

This works fine on my install