PC Is The Dynamic Weather Really Dynamic ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Yerolo, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

But what the is the % likelihood of that storm generating lightning?

2. atledreier

atledreier Member

I think this is kinda important, tbh. There's no point in dynamic weather if there's a linear progression every time. Some days the weather is stable and the same weather all day (or weeks on end, sometimes). Other days it'll change dramatically every five minutes.

3. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I agree - when I launch on clear weather, the results should be different every time, mostly slight changes. Currently, when I launch with clear weather, 80 % of the time, I end up with a storm. That's... not exactly what happens IRL... I don't experience storms every time I leave with a dog for a walk on a sunny day. Sure, from a gameplay perspective, the changes should be slightly faster, but not this fast and not this biased toward bad weather.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Very good, but isn't the phrase, "A tempest in a teacup"?

5. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

That depends on the size of the tea cup. Chart please:)

istockphoto-957680294-612x612.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It would be more accurate to name Dynamic Weather mode at this stage Upcoming Storms; I get torrential rain every trip!

• Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Word of advice: in every cab, learn where the wiper controls are. You'll need them.

8. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I actually had a run that started as clear and stayed that way for the full hour it took to complete.

9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

So, I questioned today whether it's dynamic in relation to a gradual transition or if it steps over.
    Sometimes I go in a tunnel cloudy , come out clear and other times I miss the change totally. I'm not sure if I'm distracted or if the change between them is set to change at set points in route fir example. Maybe I need to Timelapse

10. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Just reading this thread for the first time and wow, some of you really did the math. Great content!

11. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Its always a transition, with a random time to do it (so not the same time for the transition).

12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Clearly there's enough me for me to fettle with whilst driving that I'm missing it and only noticing it after. This is a success :D

13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Also, prepare earplugs for cabs like that of Class 66. I swear there must be drums in the wipers for them to be this loud.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I believe it's " storm in a teacup " or " tempest in a teapot ". ;)

15. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Member

Me too. My first run on BCC, all the way from Litchfield to Bromsgrove and it was good weather throughout. Genuinely surprised as my experience has mostly been like everyone else's: if you start dry with dynamic weather, there'll be a thunderstorm by the time you finish.

16. Phil567

Phil567 New Member

A recent full run on BCC I had light clouds to fog , and back to clear , quite realistic for November!

• Like Like x 1
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I recently acquired the TSW2 Horseshoe Curve route, which I am driving on TSW3. I was quite surprised to experience dynamic weather while driving one of its scenarios, which began under foggy conditions that slowly turned into heavy rain that was gradually accompanied by impressive lightning strikes before the storm finally abated, leaving the initial fog.
    I seem to remember DTG announcing a while back that dynamic weather would be added to TSW2 DLC running under TSW3, but a bit later admitting that this feature was not yet operating correctly. Evidently, it is now?

18. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

From my experience, dynamic weather would still need some work cuz sometimes the weather changes too dramatically. I was playing on oakville sub and it started off as a clear sunny day. Then out of the blue, a dense fog appeared. And then it suddenly changed the scene into unfoggy weather, ending on a clear sunny day. Sometimes it is good. Like on cane creek, it was clear, gradually became foggy until I couldn't see anything at all and then started snowing. Dynamic weather is good. Just needs some tweaking.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

I think something happened with the dynamic weather. On 4 different routes and runs ranging from 40 minutes to over 1 hour scenarios and starting with light clouds or clear i have only seen transitions from light clouds to clear and clear back to light clouds. Is the dynamic weather broken for the December/January moths ?
    Playing scenarios in September/October results in weather changes with storms and precipitations even in 30 minutes scenarios. Even during summer i had often weather changes. Now the only thing i see is light clouds to clear sky and back to light clouds, no storms, no rain, no nothing.

20. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my impression as well.

21. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

That is certainly interesting. I can tell you that I have been playing a lot of LBN at the moment and have seen frequent progressions from clear skies and light clouds starting conditions to light snow, even on short services. Quite an enigma, this dynamic weather .

22. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Old news (and perhaps even mentioned already) but the "tick rate" of the dynamic weather engine is once per 10 minutes.

23. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

The new Dynamic weather and skies are not in the old preservation collection or any rush hour route all, just only on the new tsw 3 routes ONLY. So this only pertains to the TSW3 route only.

Hopefully, it will come to all the routes by 2023

24. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Dynamic weather is.

• Like Like x 2
  25. rennekton#1349

Boston Providence is the first route to get the new lighting and clouds with the amtrak acela. I would imagine implementing the new lighting and skies would take several months of work just to make it work for 1 dlc, so I don't think dtg can release an update for every single piece of dlc (around 66 i believe, idk) in a single year. They are also working on newer content, so I don't think they would only focus on preserved content.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  26. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

then it's really no point in playing the old routes, than

27. rennekton#1349

It's your own opinion after all. I play them more than the tsw3 exclusive routes since tsw2 routes are more fun. It's not like they are terrible by any means. The new lighting isn't perfect either.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  28. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

NTP is still my most played route by far.

• Like Like x 3
  29. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I've been doing tests recently and have definitely noticed dynamic weather. One of my playthroughs started with light rain, then the clouds went away briefly and the rain nearly stopped, then it got a lot more cloudy, downpoured, and some lightning mixed in. I played the same scenario with the same weather settings several times and each time the weather was slightly different. Created a nice variety, not gonna lie.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Can't beat a bit of thrash along the Pennines

• Like Like x 1
  31. Whippy107

Whippy107 Member

My only "complaint" about dynamic weather is that most often the transitions seem to progress too quickly.

• Like Like x 3
  32. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Dynamic weather absolutely applies to "legacy" routes under TSW3. It is a core program, not a route-specific one (unlike the new clouds, which are only in new routes - but then, Londonmidland's sky mod made TSW2 skies pretty nice, even if not volumetric))

• Like Like x 1
  33. alexaeglir#6196

alexaeglir#6196 New Member

Wow this is neat. It's quite involved :) Thanks for sharing

34. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

On longer routes the transitions make sense, even the extreme ones, but say for example on IoW. Ive very much doubt IRL its common to have clear blue sky's at the north end of the island and Shanklin in heavy rain & fog just 20 minutes later. For me the transitions shouldn't be based on time but more distance based. Thats my sole complaint.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

The main issue with this is not that it's necessarily unrealistic, but how the system still cannot properly replicate real looking skies for when this happens. IRL, I often see torrential rain with black clouds occurring over the other end of the city 2-4 miles away when 75% of the sky visible from my place sitting on top of the hill looking down across the city is clear blue. But TSW's weather system doesn't really have the ability to properly simulate the clouds of a storm passing over nearby but which never quite passes overhead, for example. It's just not that complex, nor do we necessarily need it to be.

36. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The worst thing is when there is dense fog and a second later it becomes clear, it is not progressive and it looks very bad.

• Like Like x 5
  37. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

The only problem I really have with it is, it’s quite a dramatic quick stutter change when a lot of the changes occur, one brings in a different light to the route and it completely changes up.

it’s also a bit too much bad weather a lot of the time if you do just one timetable service.

• Like Like x 2